EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: WoW has jumped the shark
Maradon!
posted 10-21-2011 07:06:11 PM
Burning Crusade concluded the events of base Warcraft 3.

Wrath of the Lich King concluded the events of Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne.

Cataclysm concluded the events of the "War of the Ancients" series of novels.

The next World of Warcraft expansion is going to conclude the events of an april fools joke that they played a few years ago.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 10-21-2011 07:11:56 PM
Does it really matter at this point? Space Paladins really killed it for me, this is just something nicely silly and it might be quite fun. Not that I have time for WoW anymore...
Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 10-21-2011 07:42:01 PM
Here's the trailer for the expansion.
~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 10-21-2011 08:09:47 PM
Welp, least Ja'Deth will be happy.
Akiraiu Zenko
Is actually a giddy schoolgirl
posted 10-21-2011 08:43:32 PM
I've wanted monks since day 1, and I like the sound of a lot of the changes they're making. I hadn't planned on ever playing WoW again, but they've got my attention.
The artist formerly known as Zephyer Kyuukaze.
Akiraiu Zenko
posted 10-21-2011 08:44:11 PM
Also, vanity pet pokemon.
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 10-21-2011 09:27:13 PM
Have they updated the engine, or can my six year old piece of shit computer actually still run WoW?
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Number 1 Poster
posted 10-21-2011 10:02:40 PM
It will be playable to you will need to turn everything to the lowest. Cataclysm revamped everything (except player models) so there are a lot more polygons on the screen than there were before.
Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 10-21-2011 10:53:51 PM
pffffhh HAHAHA
Callalron
Hires people with hooks
posted 10-21-2011 11:23:05 PM
Just waitin' for SWTOR to drop at this point.
Callalron
"When mankind finally discovers the center of the universe, a lot of people are going to be upset that it isn't them."
"If you give a man a fish he'll eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish he'll just go out and buy an ugly hat. But if you talk to a starving man about fish, then you've become a consultant."--Dogbert
Arvek, 41 Bounty Hunter
Vrook Lamar server
Blindy.
posted 10-21-2011 11:29:40 PM
The new talent system does what I said they should have done at cataclysm- remove all talents except for utility talents.

Blindy. fucked around with this message on 10-21-2011 at 11:29 PM.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 10-22-2011 10:34:43 AM
Let's not forget the free copy of Diablo 3 if you commit to a WoW subscription for a full year.

Falaanla Marr fucked around with this message on 10-22-2011 at 10:35 AM.

Blindy.
posted 10-22-2011 11:34:07 AM
Everyone knows when you sign a one year contract it GUARANTEES more content!
Akiraiu Zenko
posted 10-22-2011 11:58:40 AM
quote:
Blindy. had this to say about Reading Rainbow:
Everyone knows when you sign a one year contract it GUARANTEES more content!

What exactly are you driving at?

Blindy.
posted 10-22-2011 12:36:16 PM
They are planning on cutting back on new content between the next patch and the release of the next expansion, and hoping they can sign people up for a year commitment so they don't cancel their subscription.
Akiraiu Zenko
posted 10-22-2011 03:18:22 PM
Since the next patch is the fall of Deathwing, I think it's pretty obvious that it's the last major content patch before MoP. I guess that's not going to be obvious to everyone, though...
Addy
posted 10-22-2011 03:39:51 PM
What a joke expansion. Monks are pretty cool, and the talent changes are interesting. Other than that... really?
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 10-22-2011 03:47:52 PM
quote:
Addy wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
What a joke expansion. Monks are pretty cool, and the talent changes are interesting. Other than that... really?

But POKEMON BATTLES. OMG Don't you want to play Pokemon in World of Warcraft??!

Number 1 Poster
posted 10-22-2011 04:03:34 PM
quote:
Addy had this to say about Cuba:

Maybe we can have another expansion where another key character gets corrupted and we spend a year trying to fight the corrupted big bad guy because there are no more non-corrupted big bad guys to fight anymore.

How about you just let their guys go wild and see what they can come up with in NEW LORE instead of twisting everything again.

Or we can just put Kul'Tiras in charge of the Forsaken and kill woman Lich King Sylvanis.

Akiraiu Zenko
posted 10-22-2011 04:16:05 PM
I have to say, the screenshots I've seen of Pandaria are quite pretty. It'll be nice to see a few pristine landscapes after Cataclysm.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 10-22-2011 04:27:44 PM
WoW won't be over until they let people battle the fallen titan, avatar or real.

Oh god I know some of the lore I better go hang myself.

Akiraiu Zenko
posted 10-22-2011 04:29:18 PM
quote:
Mortious's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:
WoW won't be over until they let people battle the fallen titan, avatar or real.

Oh god I know some of the lore I better go hang myself.

Heh, that was always what I assumed the last expansion would be. Showdown with Sargeras.

Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 10-22-2011 05:56:55 PM
How to retain subscribers when you suspect they won't be interested in the next expansion :

Offer them an in-game mount, a free copy of Diablo 3, and beta access for committing to a 1-year subscription.

Which works for me since I don't plan to leave the game, so free shit for staying a subscriber!

The mount does look p. cool though

Khyron fucked around with this message on 10-22-2011 at 06:12 PM.

Blindy.
posted 10-24-2011 09:47:23 AM
I just got an email saying that my wow account that's been banned since 2007 has two free weeks if I merge it with a battle.net account.

Yeah, I really want that level 70 priest and level 68 shaman back.

Blindy. fucked around with this message on 10-24-2011 at 09:47 AM.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 10-24-2011 10:13:22 AM
Why were you banned?
Blindy.
posted 10-24-2011 10:29:23 AM
I was using WowGlider to level some alts. For about a week. Right before they did a mass ban.
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 10-27-2011 10:54:05 AM
Just curious: how to they detect things like WowGlider?
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 10-27-2011 11:32:34 AM
quote:
Karnaj's fortune cookie read:

Blizzard added a background memory scanner to the game code that watches for that sort of thing.

Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Blindy.
posted 10-27-2011 11:41:36 AM
quote:
Karnaj likes to scream this out during sex:

There is a program that runs along-side wow called Warden. It does some pretty low-level stuff to look at the other programs that are running on your computer and see if they are trying to read data from memory addresses scoped in WoW.exe. At least, that's what it does now. What it used to do is compare your other running executables against a set of known hacker/bot programs.

This is a pretty cool story, actually.

For a year or more, WowGlider was able to avoid detection because they had obfuscation and several other techniques built into it that would make the executable appear completely different every time you ran it. Every time a new version of Warden was released, the WowGlider software would stop working (it dialed home on bootup via an encrypted connection to check if it's clear to use) while the creator decompiled it, generated a diff file and peeked around to make sure that it would still be undetectable. The creator would then raise the all clear flag and it would start working again.

So what Blizzard did is, over the course of a couple of months, they released functions in Warden that didn't appear to do anything along side functions that did. Since Warden is thousands and thousands of lines of code, and the WowGlider guys would only look at changes, they would scratch their head at these but assume Blizzard had a reason for them and individually they appeared to pose no danger. After months of this Blizzard had slipped by the WowGlider team code that was designed specifically to counter it, all without their notice. Then they spent a good month gathering the accounts of the people using WowGlider without banning a single one.

Then one day they banned like 50,000 accounts, mine included.

Right after this they sued the shit out of WowGlider.

Blindy. fucked around with this message on 10-27-2011 at 11:42 AM.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 10-27-2011 12:36:52 PM
Fascinating. And does Wowglider or an equivalent program exist nowadays, or have such things been totally shut down?

Beer.

Blindy.
posted 10-27-2011 02:04:41 PM
I'm sure there are a couple, but I don't know of any.
Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 10-28-2011 01:38:41 PM
Even without Refer a Friend (RaF), heirlooms, an established guild or anything to massively make levelling easier... levelling is massively easier anyway. Most of the time you outlevel a quest hub long before you're even close to the "x quests completed in y" achievement for it. Add to that the random dungeon finder which works while you're questing, and levelling now is basically a joke, compared to what it was when WoWGlider was used.

That's not to belittle the experience, since oldworld has been overhauled and is fun as all hell (Do Stonetalon all the way through as horde, it's great) and only lags when you go 'back into the past', i.e., outlands and northrend.

Blindy.
posted 10-28-2011 01:55:53 PM
Yeah it was during BC when I got banned. After that I bought an account of some local college student with a few 70's for 200 bucks. I was worried about getting banned for that for a year or two but when they re-did battle.net they didn't give two shits if the name on your account matched the name on the battle.net account so I was able to merge it in.
Maradon!
posted 10-28-2011 08:00:16 PM
Pretty sure with all 4 exp heirlooms and the guild bonus you're at 50% passive bonus xp. Plus there's a handful of 10% bonuses that stack with it, like the holiday buff.
Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 10-28-2011 08:20:42 PM
quote:
Delphi Aegis Model 2000 was programmed to say:
Even without Refer a Friend (RaF), heirlooms, an established guild or anything to massively make levelling easier... levelling is massively easier anyway. Most of the time you outlevel a quest hub long before you're even close to the "x quests completed in y" achievement for it. Add to that the random dungeon finder which works while you're questing, and levelling now is basically a joke, compared to what it was when WoWGlider was used.

That's not to belittle the experience, since oldworld has been overhauled and is fun as all hell (Do Stonetalon all the way through as horde, it's great) and only lags when you go 'back into the past', i.e., outlands and northrend.

Stonetalon is nowhere near as great as Hillsbrad (Do the right thing, buddy!), or Badlands.

Almost every zone has at least one really, really awesome series of quests in it now. Like Maxwell of Northshire in Un'goro, or Zen'kiki in EPL. Sometimes though you outlevel the awesome shit or have to wade through the dull stuff to get to the good parts.

And mara : 50% with the fishing ring, but IMO that doesn't count because fuck fishing.

Khyron fucked around with this message on 10-28-2011 at 08:22 PM.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: