EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Soo Mort have you seen...
Peter
Pancake
posted 06-27-2011 12:32:17 AM
SWG dies at last. Kinda sad, but I am not surprised. Before they totally fucked it up it was one of the best MMO's I have played.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 06-27-2011 03:11:00 AM
Yeah, I saw it a while ago.

The main reason, in my eyes, is because LucasArts wants to tempt all the SWG players over to The Old Republic. It's no coincidence that the date of SWG's closure is coinciding with the rumoured release date for TOR.

Akiraiu Zenko
Is actually a giddy schoolgirl
posted 06-27-2011 03:40:04 AM
I have to say, I'm in the TOR beta, and I'm quite enjoying it.
The artist formerly known as Zephyer Kyuukaze.
nem-x
posted 06-27-2011 03:48:08 AM
quote:
Zephyer Kyuukaze had this to say about Duck Tales:

you son of a bitch

Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 06-27-2011 08:35:34 AM
quote:
nem-x had this to say about Cuba:
you son of a bitch

My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 06-27-2011 10:11:32 AM
quote:
This is what Zephyer Kyuukaze is doing. This is what I want Zephyer Kyuukaze to do:

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 06-27-2011 11:25:59 AM
quote:
Zephyer Kyuukaze said:

YOU WILL GIVE YOUR BETA CODE TO ME.

YOU WILL DO IT.

DO IT NOW.

Akiraiu Zenko
posted 06-27-2011 12:32:09 PM
Oh, my, that was insensitive of me, wasn't it? My intent was to give hope for the future, not incite jealousy.

Gotta say, though, Sith sorcerer is

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 06-27-2011 01:04:22 PM
Hmmmmm time to try another angle.

Pictures of my cock for a beta code.

Akiraiu Zenko
posted 06-27-2011 02:09:33 PM
quote:
A sleep deprived Mortious stammered:

Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 06-27-2011 04:00:44 PM
quote:
Mortious had this to say about Jimmy Carter:

And now I can see why you were in charge in SWG.... you know how to "work the audience"...

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
-----------------------------------
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 06-27-2011 07:05:24 PM
quote:
What is a Mortious? A miserable little pile of secrets! But enough talk... Have at you!
Yeah, I saw it a while ago.

The main reason, in my eyes, is because LucasArts wants to tempt all the SWG players over to The Old Republic. It's no coincidence that the date of SWG's closure is coinciding with the rumoured release date for TOR.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere after the CU when LucasArts pulled the rights for SOE to develope for the game, that the servers would remain up and playable until the next similar product from Lucasarts emerged.

I could be pulling this right out of my ass, too. I'm really not sure at this point.

Also, Zeph, you son of a bitch.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Dr. Gee
Say it Loud, Say it Plowed!
posted 06-28-2011 03:52:56 PM
So from everything I've seen about The Old Republic it seems more like a co-op single player RPG (yes, I know) than a more traditional MMO. Can you comment on that?
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 06-28-2011 07:39:10 PM
quote:
It was not by my hand that I am once again given flesh! I was called here by Dr. Gee who wishes to pay me tribute!
So from everything I've seen about The Old Republic it seems more like a co-op single player RPG (yes, I know) than a more traditional MMO. Can you comment on that?

I think this is actually kind of the idea. Which is, honestly, a welcomed change from the traditional MMO style of "click through quests as fast as possible so you can grind up to max level so you can grind raids." Granted, later on in the game's life, it will probably be treated like this by veteran players, but in the meantime, there will be 8 full stories for you to enjoy.

Bioware has said that if you want to treat it like KOTOR 3-10, you can. But it still has multiplayer objectives, instances, raids, and PvP like any other quality MMO.

[Edit: One letter can make a huge difference in the meaning of a whole sentence.]

Densetsu fucked around with this message on 06-28-2011 at 07:40 PM.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Dr. Gee
Say it Loud, Say it Plowed!
posted 06-30-2011 06:44:23 PM
Sweet. That's what I've been hearing, but I've also been keeping myself as ignorant of specific game details as possible. Similar to Diablo 3 I just want to pick up the game and enjoy it without having metagamed it for months ahead of time.
Vallo, the Second Coming
Pancake
posted 07-01-2011 09:54:50 PM
quote:
Densetsu had this to say about Captain Planet:
I think this is actually kind of the idea. Which is, honestly, a welcomed change from the traditional MMO style of "click through quests as fast as possible so you can grind up to max level so you can grind raids." Granted, later on in the game's life, it will probably be treated like this by veteran players, but in the meantime, there will be 8 full stories for you to enjoy.

Bioware has said that if you want to treat it like KOTOR 3-10, you can. But it still has multiplayer objectives, instances, raids, and PvP like any other quality MMO.

[Edit: One letter can make a huge difference in the meaning of a whole sentence.]

If this is true, I might just have to try it out. So sick of MMO's, and thought SWG was terrible. KOTOR (And 2), though, was just amazing.

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special."
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 07-04-2011 10:16:22 AM
SWG was pretty far from terrible if you played it before all the NGE and CU bullshit. That stuff wrecked the game. Up until then, it was a very solid game that, while still having some issues, was better than much of what is currently available.
Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 07-04-2011 06:35:38 PM
I picked up KOTOR for the first time, and am playing it to get into the mood before Mass Effect 3 comes out. Liking it so far, though the graphics haven't aged well. Feels like Anarchy Online at times.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 07-04-2011 06:49:12 PM
Oddly enough, I really enjoyed Anarchy Online in its day. The ridiculous latency killed it, though, for me, and I had to move on. I wish there was a decent SF MMORPGEIEIO out there.
To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Callalron
Hires people with hooks
posted 07-04-2011 07:06:21 PM
As bad as the latency was later on in AO, it was absolutely skull-splittingly bad when the game first launched. I mean like 1 frame per minute bad. To their credit Funcom made major strides in making the game playable, they just needed about 3 or 4 MORE giant step to get the game where it should have been.

Galaxies, for all the troubles it had, was actually a decent game. Until NGE kicked it square in the nuts.

Callalron
"When mankind finally discovers the center of the universe, a lot of people are going to be upset that it isn't them."
"If you give a man a fish he'll eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish he'll just go out and buy an ugly hat. But if you talk to a starving man about fish, then you've become a consultant."--Dogbert
Arvek, 41 Bounty Hunter
Vrook Lamar server
Y.O.T.C
No longer a Towel Girl
posted 07-05-2011 05:02:53 AM
Oh lord I figured that would get brought up here. I miss the old days of SWG when it didn't suck. Then I played that on the goon server and realized I missed Morts guild that wasn't full of retards. Also god dammit evercrest there's a gunbound tag for posts and I just remembered that game existed. Ah nostalgia.
Vallo, the Second Coming
Pancake
posted 07-05-2011 08:24:39 AM
quote:
Falaanla Marr probably says this to all the girls:
SWG was pretty far from terrible if you played it before all the NGE and CU bullshit. That stuff wrecked the game. Up until then, it was a very solid game that, while still having some issues, was better than much of what is currently available.

I played it when it was brand new and buggy as hell, where myself and a friend - both marksman - could destroy groups of things 10 levels above us without getting hit.

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special."
Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 07-05-2011 09:14:59 PM
I want planetside 22222222222222222222222222 goddamnit I need more MMOFPS games
Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 07-05-2011 10:40:53 PM
New Tribes is a MMOFPS I hear. I'll be getting it for sure.
Vin~
Crack Dealer
First One's Free!
posted 07-06-2011 12:18:05 AM
I had picked the game up again about five months ago, to try something new. I made a rodian musician, and man it was fun. Making up my own music tracks, mixing effects, meeting tons of people, and getting tons of credits. It was a unique game play experience unlike anything offered by other MMO's I've found.

I will truly miss it.

Wow, just googled my character name and found an old thread.

Vin~ fucked around with this message on 07-06-2011 at 12:26 AM.

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 07-06-2011 07:01:58 PM
quote:
What is a Rodent King? A miserable little pile of secrets! But enough talk... Have at you!
New Tribes is a MMOFPS I hear. I'll be getting it for sure.

And F2P, too, I believe.

Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 07-07-2011 02:07:08 PM
So, Mort, have you tried Star Ruler?

I've heard it described as a mixture between Masters of Orion 2 and Sins of a Solar Empire.

The Something Awful thread about the game, hosted by the Co-Lead Developer.

The game's trailer

quote:
A fully customizable and new experience each time you play:
  • A dynamic, 5 to 700 (or beyond 4000, with powerful rigs) system, procedurally-generated galaxy, which may be altered over the course of the game (create and destroy stars, planets, and other interstellar phenomena; turn stars into powerful platforms, etc.)
  • Bring Your Own Ship (Choose their components, sizes, the AI which governs them, and their scale (from the size of a boat to the size of the whole galaxy))
  • Create your own race or choose from a set of races which ship with the game.
  • A research web which shuffles every playthrough
  • AIs which adapt to player actions by modifying their ships to counter yours
  • Complex diplomatic interaction between empires and races
  • Rich, diverse, planets whose type, size, number of moons, and other characteristics vary.
  • A directional damage system which makes how you build your ships important
  • Save and load your custom ships and settings to your profile for easy importation and exportation.
    Extensive mod support
  • Almost the entire game is modable by an editor as simple as Notepad
  • Built in tools to ease mod creation including: Particle System editor, and Model configurator.
  • Example mods and scripts which ship with the game to provide scripters and modders an easy way to see how modifying Star Ruler works
  • Smart use of AngelScript allows users to create entirely new gamemodes, gameplay, and online experiences
    Lots of Meat for your Carnage
  • Massive ship battles fought in real-time with particle effects and location-based damage
  • Ships whose individual components can be compromised, destroyed, disabled, repaired, and renovated
  • Catastrophic failure of critical systems (such as a fuel tank exploding near a munitions cache which detonates, damaging the ship's power supply and control systems, leading to the failure of life support systems and imminent crew death if the ship isn't rescued or if the crew can't repair the systems in time)
  • Subsystems such as Bulkheads and Coolant Systems which modify internal components, adding that extra 'oomph' or extra bit of armor to protect against the exploitation of critical systems in ship designs.
  • Fully simulated newtonian physics
    Co-Op, Team/Objective based play, Competitive play, and Single play (Skirmish)
  • Up to 4+ players playing simultaneously, with drop-in-drop-out compatibility
  • Supports both internet and LAN play
  • Standard server controls
  • Seamless transitioning: Multiplayer games can be saved and then played in Singleplayer and then brought back up in Multiplayer.
    Easy to use interface, complex gameplay.
  • Planetary governers which intelligently govern planets using a simple, easy-to-use, language which may be modified on-the-fly by the player to quickly and efficiently manage their entire Empire without much of the micromanagement typically involved; allowing the player to set their assets up and step in to directly control them without them getting in the way.
  • Ships have their own fuel stores, power supply, and et cetera.; all represented in a very visible, easy-to-read, format along with visual cues to keep the focus on the battles, not the numbers.
  • Numerous easy-to-use interfaces which provide quick solutions to specific problems, all of them moddable by the player for maximum comfort.
    Much more to come!
  • As time goes on, more and more features, graphics updates, and so on will be added to Star Ruler. We won't be satisfied until we're the best in the genre.
  • quote:
    You're selling this for how much?
    $24.99 USD / £16.35 GBP / €18.99 Euro

Okay, and will this have DRM?
    No. Our company belief is that DRM is: too intrusive, too easily defeated, too hardware/software-error prone, and too much of a time-and-effort investment to be worth it; especially when that time and effort could be spent on adding value to the game.

I liked the bit at the end of the trailer where they destroyed the planet, the fleet, and everything else nearby by inducing a supernova

Khyron fucked around with this message on 07-07-2011 at 02:09 PM.

All times are US/Eastern
    Hop To: