EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: So this forum has always had strong political views
Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 05-01-2011 11:06:50 PM
Please tell me your thoughts and opinions and shit of hearing that Osama Bin Laden is dead and the US has the body.
Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 05-01-2011 11:12:39 PM
I'm still on the thrill of the news. I'll have a more cohesive view later.

Right now, all that is going through my mind is the motherfucker is goddamned fucking dead and I hope to hell its true. Too bad they'll make a martyr of him, and why the fuck hasnt the president addressed the nation yet?

Oh, and tomorrow is gonna be a bitch at work. Eventful weekend - Libya declares war on us and the snake is dead.

Gonna be a late one tomorrow.

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
nem-x
posted 05-01-2011 11:13:56 PM
Khyron
posted 05-01-2011 11:48:34 PM
quote:
Azakias probably says this to all the girls:
Right now, all that is going through my mind is the motherfucker is goddamned fucking dead and I hope to hell its true. Too bad they'll make a martyr of him, and why the fuck hasnt the president addressed the nation yet?

I'm pretty sure he did, actually.

quote:
From CNN
The most prominent face of terror in America and beyond, Osama Bin Laden, has been killed in Pakistan, U.S. officials said Sunday night. President Barack Obama has addressed the nation
Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 05-01-2011 11:50:16 PM
That came on right after I hit post.
"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Sentow, I Guess
Pancake
posted 05-02-2011 01:15:50 AM
Obama's 2012 campaign slogan?
KIERKEGAARD

Sigpic shamelessly stolen from Kate Beaton.

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 05-02-2011 07:07:49 AM
America, FUCK YEAH!
Blindy.
posted 05-02-2011 07:08:52 AM
That being said, the fanatics that think he's a martyr now would have thought he was a martyr if we gave him a full trial first anyway.
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 05-02-2011 09:29:03 AM
I like the fact that they buried him at sea. Aside from the place where he was actually killed, there's now no way to make any location associated with his death a shrine.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Vallo, the Second Coming
Pancake
posted 05-02-2011 09:49:12 AM
I think they could have done this at any point for years now, and let him live until they needed a convenient scapegoat to redirect the world's attention.

I'm glad he's dead, now if only they would acknowledge having funded him for years as a member of the CIA.

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special."
Number 1 Poster
posted 05-02-2011 02:27:25 PM
R.I.P. Hide And Seek champion of the world

Also I'm voting NDP. God bless that mustache

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 05-02-2011 03:27:28 PM
quote:
Vallo, the Second Coming startled the peaceful upland Gorillas, blurting:
I think they could have done this at any point for years now, and let him live until they needed a convenient scapegoat to redirect the world's attention.

I'll assume you're joking, but that's really kind of dumb. Why not wait until next year at election time, then?

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 05-02-2011 07:03:47 PM
This happened Sunday night?

I'm not normally the kind of guy to propose weird government conspiracy theories, but doesn't it seem really fast to have the guy shot, killed, DNA-tested, and tossed off a boat in time for the paper's monday?

Totally open to the possibility of that being the case, the rush just seems like excellent fodder for conspiracy theories. I see the logic of not giving him a long funeral or leaving a body around for people to make a shrine of; it just seems really shocking how it all happened so fast.

Again: I'm NOT proposing that this is fake, or that any mistakes were made. Just afraid some pre-recorded video will be released of him saying he's alive and make us look like asses.

My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 05-02-2011 09:06:51 PM
I don't know enough about his chain of command to know how his death will affect us one way or another.

What saddens me is the domestic measure we took in response to his attacks such as the TSA. The war on terror is a war on an abstract idea that is costing America its spirit. My concern is that these measures may continue even after the direct threat that spawned them disappeared. It feels like reactionary bloat that will remain even after it lost its facade of a purpose.

Ghost of Forums Past fucked around with this message on 05-02-2011 at 09:08 PM.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 05-02-2011 11:35:23 PM
Promise me that, when I die, you guys will launch several retaliatory strikes against whatever killed me.
Willias
Pancake
posted 05-02-2011 11:38:57 PM
what do we do if old age kills you?

go out and kill old people?

Mr. Parcelan
posted 05-03-2011 01:30:32 AM
I expect you to destroy time itself.
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 05-03-2011 08:11:07 AM
quote:
Rodent King put down Tada! magazine long enough to type:
This happened Sunday night?

I'm not normally the kind of guy to propose weird government conspiracy theories, but doesn't it seem really fast to have the guy shot, killed, DNA-tested, and tossed off a boat in time for the paper's monday?[/IMG]

Well, since he got shot in the head, it only took like a second to kill him. Depending on the method, DNA tests are extremely quick these days. Though they used facial recognition technology at first to confirm his identity, they could've easily had DNA confirmation by the time he'd been been prepared for his burial at sea.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 05-03-2011 12:54:28 PM
Let's also not forget he's 6'4" tall or something like that...not difficult to pick out of a crowd.

Peter
Pancake
posted 05-03-2011 07:20:52 PM
quote:
Bloodsage wrote this stupid crap:
.....not difficult to pick out of a crowd.

Well at least for a SEAL.

Callalron
Hires people with hooks
posted 05-04-2011 01:11:30 AM
Given my prior career experience in the military, I have absolutely no problem with the idea that some people just need to be killed. And if Bin Laden wasn't at the top of that list, he's certainly Top 3.

But I guess I'm in the minority when it comes to the slaverinig, hooting celebration that was going on. It just strikes me as being a bit...unseemly to me. I can't picture the Israelis bat-hanging off traffic lights if the Mossad had managed to drop the hammer on Arafat back in the day.

And you know there's going to be push-back from Al Qaeda. Just a question of when, where and how bad.

Callalron
"When mankind finally discovers the center of the universe, a lot of people are going to be upset that it isn't them."
"If you give a man a fish he'll eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish he'll just go out and buy an ugly hat. But if you talk to a starving man about fish, then you've become a consultant."--Dogbert
Arvek, 41 Bounty Hunter
Vrook Lamar server
Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 05-04-2011 10:36:50 AM
I agree with the sentiment that we should not be celebrating about the guy's death in public. Toast/cheer/celebrate in your homes if you feel the need but we're supposed to be the bigger country here.

If a cop is killed, we put a lot of extra effort into finding the criminal, but if he's found/killed, the police shouldn't be cheering/dancing over catching/killing the criminal.

Maradon!
posted 05-04-2011 10:17:37 PM
quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into Rodent King who doth quote:
I agree with the sentiment that we should not be celebrating about the guy's death in public. Toast/cheer/celebrate in your homes if you feel the need but we're supposed to be the bigger country here.

If a cop is killed, we put a lot of extra effort into finding the criminal, but if he's found/killed, the police shouldn't be cheering/dancing over catching/killing the criminal.

That's what's called a "false moral equivalence"

Cops are killed for lots of reasons, many of them tragic and unfortunate, and so celebrating the death of a cop killer is not always necessarily prudent.

Osama Bin Laden was surrounded by no such ambiguous circumstances. He clearly openly reveled in death and oppression, and was objectively evil and seen so by all but the most dogmatic follower. I can see no reason why we should not openly celebrate his violent execution without reservation.

His death could not have come at a worse time for the Obama administration, and so cries of dog-wagging are rather fatuous. By the time the 2012 election arrives, it'll be a case of "what have you done for me lately?" as unemployment refuses to fall and Obama (wrongly) begins to take heat for rising gas prices and (correctly) ballooning national debt.

Similarly, the old evidence-immune charge of fakery is also stupid. It would be silly in the extreme to fake Bin Ladens death if there were even a remote chance that he would show up again clearly alive and well. Second, if they were going to fake the death they could have chosen a time when they stood to gain more by it. Third, as is always the case with conspiracy theories of this type, in an age of civilian contractors and cell phone cameras and wikileaks it just isn't possible to keep that sort of thing under wraps.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 05-04-2011 at 10:25 PM.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 05-05-2011 01:52:34 AM
Personally, I think it's perfectly okay to celebrate a military victory.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 05-05-2011 09:43:11 AM
Yeah, Obama will gain some political capital, and this will probably offer a small boost even down the road in election season. However, he basically staked his presidency on the success of the operation. Yes, the operation succeeded, and we can revel in that, but can you imagine the domestic and international fallout if it had failed? If part or all of the SEAL team had been killed or captured?

No, Obama(specifically, his presidency) had way more to lose than he had to gain from taking out OBL. But he nutted up and greenlit the operation anyway, because ultimately it was the right thing to do.

Beer.

Khyron
posted 05-05-2011 10:23:16 PM
A NEW QUESTION APPROACHES!

Should Obama have released/should he release the photos, and why/why not?

Mr. Parcelan
posted 05-05-2011 10:49:07 PM
the only reason would be to deter conspiracy theorists and conspiracy theorists have basically never needed stuff like facts to keep on keepin' on.
Willias
Pancake
posted 05-06-2011 12:07:44 AM
quote:
Khyron attempted to be funny by writing:

Nope.

Won't do any good. Won't change the minds of conspiracy theorists. Gives those who will want to martyr him an image of his dead body to wave around.

Edit: Honestly, I think demanding photos of his dead body could be considered more barbaric than those who went on a celebration spree when his death was announced.

He's fucking dead, you don't need pics to know if it happened or not.

Willias fucked around with this message on 05-06-2011 at 12:10 AM.

Callalron
Hires people with hooks
posted 05-06-2011 01:46:22 AM
quote:
Khyron was listening to Cher while typing:

I think Ari Fleischer put it best, "If you think he's alive, no amount of pictures in the world is going to convince you otherwise."

Callalron
"When mankind finally discovers the center of the universe, a lot of people are going to be upset that it isn't them."
"If you give a man a fish he'll eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish he'll just go out and buy an ugly hat. But if you talk to a starving man about fish, then you've become a consultant."--Dogbert
Arvek, 41 Bounty Hunter
Vrook Lamar server
Maradon!
posted 05-06-2011 07:20:57 AM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Khyron booooze lime pole over bench lick:

I would not be surprised if those pictures were "leaked" some time during the run up to the 2012 election.

There's nothing to be gained by releasing them now, while potential exacerbation of Bin Ladens martyrdom provides a plausible (and legitimate) excuse to hold on to them.

A year and a half from now, it could be argued that there will be less danger of backlash at releasing them, and they'll provide a pleasant reminder that Obama killed Osama.

Incidentally, there allegedly exists not only pictures, but actual helmet cam video of the operation.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 05-06-2011 11:36:09 AM
Blindy.
posted 05-08-2011 08:28:43 AM
quote:
I like it when Mr. Parcelan says:
the only reason would be to deter conspiracy theorists and conspiracy theorists have basically never needed stuff like facts to keep on keepin' on.

If the birther shit has proven anything, it's that giving conspiracy theorists proof that they are batshit insane only makes them more batshit insane.

Callalron
Hires people with hooks
posted 05-08-2011 01:58:38 PM
quote:
Blindy. had this to say about Captain Planet:
If the birther shit has proven anything, it's that giving conspiracy theorists proof that they are batshit insane only makes them more batshit insane.

Hell, the 9/11 truthers have been proving that for the last decade.

Callalron
Arvek, 41 Bounty Hunter
Vrook Lamar server
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 05-11-2011 02:26:22 PM
I pretty much agree with Callalron, although I think I would have prefered if your guys would've managed to capture bin Laden. But as far as I understand that was unfortunately never an option.
~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Callalron
Hires people with hooks
posted 05-12-2011 12:20:13 AM
Yeah, I have to admit that I would have derived a certain satisfaction knowing Bin Laden was going to dance at the end of a rope. But hey, guy didn't want to give it up.
Callalron
Arvek, 41 Bounty Hunter
Vrook Lamar server
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 05-12-2011 01:24:12 AM
LOL Germans

Sorry Tarq.

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 05-12-2011 02:24:33 AM
Can't blame them, it is the cooler badge.
~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 05-12-2011 08:16:20 AM
This one's for you, Mort.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: