EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Dragon Age 2
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 03-07-2011 06:08:41 PM
So, who will be getting it?

I'm debating between the 360, PS3 and PC versions right now. If I get the 360 or PS3 versions, I can ignore healing my raid in WoW and play DA2 instead, which is a good bet since it means I can let Addy die.

If I get the PC version, I can import my save, which is also neat.

Sentow, I Guess
Pancake
posted 03-07-2011 10:45:43 PM
I pre-ordered it for 360, though had I not pre-ordered I might've gotten the PC version since I have a spiffy new machine =3 DA1 worked OK on 360, but it really felt like it was designed with a mouse and keyboard in mind.
KIERKEGAARD

Sigpic shamelessly stolen from Kate Beaton.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 03-08-2011 12:29:01 AM
I still haven't played the demo yet, but I'll buy it after PAX East if I end up buying it at all
Willias
Pancake
posted 03-08-2011 12:36:39 AM
I'll be waiting on reviews and such for this one.

The demo actually managed to push me away from the game.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 03-08-2011 02:20:29 AM
Just picked it up. Looks really fun.

I like how the talent trees are designed this time around, so now I can have a two-handed tank.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 03-08-2011 03:24:08 AM
Comes out here this Friday (new game releases here are always Friday) and my pre-order should be with me by then.

Looking forward to it! I liked the demo.. even if it does feel a little dumbed down from DA1. We'll see if the story can make up for it.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 03-08-2011 05:16:07 AM
Initial impressions:

-I don't know how it will differ from console to computer, but combat thus far is much more swift and ferocious than DA . Thus far, I've been able to get by by rushing in, dominating with a giant leaping Mighty Blow and then hacking them down, one by one while I send Bethany and Varric to pick off stragglers.

This being a Bioware game, though, I'm sure that will change.

-Much less stat driven, much more flow driven. It's not so much about positioning and planning and adjusting the tactics based on every billionth contingency plan so much as it is about rushing in and adjusting to the tide of combat.

Example: In DA , you move in and attack and when the ambush comes from behind, you switch your entire party around so that the tank is getting everything with a well-placed taunt.

In DA2, you move in and attack and when the ambush comes from behind, you flatten them with Varric's bursting arrow to delay them while you rush in and scatter them with Mighty Blow, beating them down with huge, sweeping strikes while Aveline takes on the others.

-The game positively leaks style. In DA , every sort of wound up looking the same: drab, featureless blobs of metal, leather or robes. In this one, each character has their own unique look that really adds to their feel. Everyone seems a lot more lively, too.

In DA , everyone was basically an Englishman with varying degrees of snide and dumb. Leiliana was more dumb than snide, Morrigan was more snide than dumb. In DA2, they all have their own motivations and goals that really move with the story, rather than being relegated to side quests.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 03-08-2011 07:59:20 AM
Goddamn, Varric is the best.

"Perhaps I should put you to use, Varric. You could write warnings to the lawless."

"What? Do you think criminals are big readers?"

"With enough force and persuasion, they could be made to."

"Well, why don't you just make a big sign that says DON'T? You could hit people with it."

Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 03-08-2011 07:36:09 PM
Watching Deth play it now while I do calculus

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

nem-x
posted 03-08-2011 08:05:47 PM
Mightion Defensor
posted 03-09-2011 05:38:12 PM
If I did get it (I'd never played the first one), I would probably be "obligated" to play it on my PC, with it's new GTX 570 HD SC plus Samsung 23 inch LED monitor combo.
Dr. Gee
Say it Loud, Say it Plowed!
posted 03-10-2011 04:15:54 PM
I've been enjoying this game to a disturbing degree. I'm really torn with group composition since the only character whom I don't really like a lot is Fenris.

I haven't even started the expedition yet, but it feels like there is no end to really interesting side quests.

The only thing I don't like is how predictable combat is. I'm able to know within a second or two when the inevitable second wave of enemies will randomly spawn out of no where.

nem-x
posted 03-10-2011 08:20:48 PM
Just made it to Act 2. Nowhere near as good as DA , just a bunch of main plot/sidequests that don't seem to matter one lick and a bunch of companions that aren't very interesting except for Varric. It really does seem like Bioware skimped out on a lot of stuff. Using the same house/dungeon for four different quests is pretty lame, but not as lame as skipping ahead in time and saying deal with it. Enemies also spawn wherever the fuck like some bad beat-em-up game.

Also you can actually screw yourself by picking your abilities badly (the entire force mage tree sucks major balls), so hopefully you have a save before the end of Act 1 so you can get your respec potions from the black emporium or you will eat shit repeatedly and probably not be able to advance.

Vallo, the Second Coming
Pancake
posted 03-10-2011 10:33:35 PM
Any of you guys seen or heard much on Kingdom of Amalur? From what I know of it, it's a single player game in the style of Oblivion but with a significantly expanded combat system, a plot written by R A Salvatore, and some pretty sleek graphics.
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special."
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 03-11-2011 04:27:04 PM
Got my signature edition yesterday.

Think I'll wait till they fix the story with DLCs. :/

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
nem-x
posted 03-13-2011 01:24:20 AM
Finished at around 37 hours compared to origins like.. 60-70 hours. More action than story driven. The animations are a lot better. Some of the major quest lines in the game don't even matter and could have been left out without affecting anything. It felt like one big DLC quest after another. Running the game on very-high graphics is just straight up broken or something. The reused locales really gets tiring. A boat load of things aren't explained in the end; DA 3 could be great because shit hit the fan at endgame. But DA2 not that great if you're looking for story.

My mage finally looked badass at the end of the game instead of a gimp with feathers for shoulders.

Anime endboss

nem-x
posted 03-13-2011 01:55:26 AM
It's not FF13 bad... perhaps a 12 bad.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 03-14-2011 09:03:03 AM
HELPFUL STUFF

1. You can download a high-res texture pack addon, which is free and from BioWare, from here. Obviously this is only for the PC version which requires a decent DX11 system setup and a graphics card with at least 1GB RAM.

2. If you are having issues with an nVidia card, go get the latest beta drivers for it.

3. If you are having issues with an ATI card, mostly the 5800 series, you can find early release drivers here which should solve the problem.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 03-14-2011 07:48:44 PM
quote:
Vallo, the Second Coming was listening to Cher while typing:
Any of you guys seen or heard much on Kingdom of Amalur? From what I know of it, it's a single player game in the style of Oblivion but with a significantly expanded combat system, a plot written by R A Salvatore, and some pretty sleek graphics.

I read an expose on it in Game Informer this month. It looks interesting at least.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 03-14-2011 09:49:42 PM
Salvatore...plot?
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 03-15-2011 06:35:56 AM
Welp I'm just inside the city now and I'm bored to tears.

I miss my origin stories.

Everything is in fast-forward, including how they speak. Where's the slow button? I don't have ADHD.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 03-15-2011 06:58:36 PM
Wat.

Why do the Qunari look like anime demons now.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 03-15-2011 07:14:08 PM
Why is my two handed weapon longer than I am tall.

Why can I lift it without my arms breaking.

Why is there a horrible texture on my weapon claiming to be elemental damage and not the nice particle effects from DAO.

Oh god this is horrible I want my money back mister shopkeeper.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 03-15-2011 08:13:58 PM
OH WOW THESE GRAPHICS SURE ARE BETTER.

TOTALLY NEXT GEN.

LET US COMPARE.

Mortious fucked around with this message on 03-15-2011 at 08:14 PM.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 03-15-2011 08:16:09 PM
Subtle hint: This game is fucking terrible.
Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 03-15-2011 10:14:51 PM
quote:
Mortious had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
Subtle hint: This game is fucking terrible.

Thanks for the tip, I'll pass then.

My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
Willias
Pancake
posted 03-16-2011 04:24:11 PM
Yeah, passing on DA2. Maybe Bioware will get their shit together for DA3, and hopefully this isn't a sign of what TOR is going to be like quality-wise.

Bought Risen instead, since I've never played one of the Gothic series before. So far having a blast with it.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 03-16-2011 05:40:36 PM
Risen is pretty awesome but to get the most out of the game you have to jump through very small hoops right at the start and become a mage (ie don't be a bandit and don't get caught and be forced to be an inquisitor). Of course you can play it however you want to, but I found the mage line to be the most fulfilling as the game is very difficult and the mage helps smooth it out a bit at lower levels. Also seems to be a more complex quest system as a mage.

Welp I can't return DA2 seeing as the key is now linked to my account, so I decided to see if I could salvage anything out of this trainwreck.

I have made a breakthrough discovery. The only way to have any fun here is to be a smartass (middle conversation option every time) male mage. The banter between him and your brother is actually pretty funny.

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 03-17-2011 10:59:14 PM
quote:
Your words are as empty as your soul! Mankind ill needs a savior such as Mr. Parcelan!
Salvatore...plot?

Meaning the game script will contain indiscriminate use of the word, "incredulous."

quote:
Die, Willias! You don't belong in this world!
Maybe Bioware will get their shit together for DA3, and hopefully this isn't a sign of what TOR is going to be like quality-wise.

Different teams. Not that I am a Bioware fanboi in any way, but at least we can give them the benefit of the doubt on this front.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piƱa coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 03-20-2011 06:39:43 PM
Yeah, that was pretty disappointing. I'm pretty much the definition of casual gamer, and even I thought there were too many shortcuts, and the world was half-assed and way too finite.

Ah, well. Hope the next one is better.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 03-20-2011 06:43:24 PM
Blame EA, rumours from Bioware suggest they were forced to pump this out immediately to capitalise on the success of Dragon Age Origins. Also to get a foot in the door before The Witcher 2 comes out which looks a thousand times better.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 03-20-2011 07:49:39 PM
It did seem rushed.

I enjoyed the Witcher; hope they don't compromise on the sequel. Maybe they can have an R-rated version to make the collectible cards a little better.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 03-20-2011 11:41:43 PM
Well, since The Witcher 2 is being made by an out-of-US company that seems to care more about the game than the sales, I have high hopes for it. Still, some of the hype emails have reached US distributor-like proportions...
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 03-21-2011 03:22:32 AM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Bloodsage:
It did seem rushed.

I enjoyed the Witcher; hope they don't compromise on the sequel. Maybe they can have an R-rated version to make the collectible cards a little better.

You should have bought the German version.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 03-21-2011 06:21:24 AM
Now to play devils advocate.

The game is actually enjoyable as a smartass mage.

BUT

It is only enjoyable as this.

AND

Varric must be in the party.

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 03-21-2011 10:26:28 AM
There's a quest in the first part of the game that you finish by talking to someone in the brothel, near the brewery barrel. After you complete the quest, she doesn't leave, and the quest doesn't end. I picked up ten levels and nearly 200 gold in less than three minutes.

And somehow the boss fight at the end of the Deep Roads was still hard.

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 03-26-2011 10:24:48 AM
quote:
This is what Mortious is doing. This is what I want Mortious to do:

BUT

AND

QFT.

It almost makes visiting the same maps 300 times just a bit more tolerable. Or the fact that 99% of the NPC mages in the game, despite your defense of them otherwise, turn to blood magic and become abominations.

Bajah fucked around with this message on 03-26-2011 at 10:25 AM.

Taeldian
Pancake
posted 03-28-2011 08:41:46 PM
I was disappointed with the first one. Mostly because the awful combat made the game miserable to play.

I loved the second one.

I can overlook the repeated dungeons; I'd rather enjoy combat in the same place over and over than slog through miserable combat in a multitude of places.

The main character has a voice. Ever since Shepard, main characters communicating telepathically is unforgivable to me.

Great companion characters whose opinions are influenced by more than "I'm evil and you're doing good things, so I don't like you."

Interesting - if anticlimactic - main plotline. The Templar vs. Mage dilemma is more compelling to me than THE EVIL OVERLORD IS COMING AND WE'RE ALL GONNA DIIIIIIIIIIIIE

Plays less like Baldur's Gate (my memory of which is always tainted by the long and miserable Underdark dungeon crawl) and more like Mass Effect. We've finally got some RPGs where the combat isn't just getting in the way. I can't see that as anything but a good thing.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 03-29-2011 03:14:01 AM
I made my Hawke look like Delid.

This improved the comedy value in the middle conversation option tremendously.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 04-13-2011 09:23:52 PM
quote:
Mortious said this about your mom:

BUT

AND

I love Varric! He's such a smartass.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: