EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Ass. Creed Bro.
Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 11-19-2010 02:21:42 PM
Do I need to play 1 and 2 or can I just jump into Brotherhood and stab some fuckers? Is there any kind of freedom to it or is it mostly "go here, stab them, don't get caught" over and over again?
* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Nina
posted 11-19-2010 11:00:17 PM
The first is entirely optional, and if anything, it'll only make you appreciate Ezio's character more. You'll have a hard time catching up to the story if you don't play the second, though. Brotherhood literally picks up exactly where AC2 left off.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 11-20-2010 01:41:37 AM
Mind, none of the issues were addressed. Combat remains lame, controls twitchy and so forth.

But if that didn't bother you to begin with, the rest has only been improved.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 11-20-2010 02:47:23 AM
AC's combat has never bothered me and the little frustrations with accidentally climbing shit aren't a big deal.

ACBro's narrative seems a lot more focused so far. The Assassin's Creed games are some of my favorite this generation.

Kegwen fucked around with this message on 11-20-2010 at 02:49 AM.

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 11-20-2010 03:40:32 AM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan painfully thought these words up:
Mind, none of the issues were addressed. Combat remains lame, controls twitchy and so forth.

But if that didn't bother you to begin with, the rest has only been improved.

So it's still "Hold Block, Spam Counter" for most combats? Kind of a downer. Granted, "if it's not broke..."

Sounds like I should finish the copy of AC2 before I start on Brotherhood though. Well at least I don't have to worry about the first one then.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 11-20-2010 03:45:17 AM
quote:
Random Insanity Generator Model 2000 was programmed to say:
So it's still "Hold Block, Spam Counter" for most combats? Kind of a downer. Granted, "if it's not broke..."

Sounds like I should finish the copy of AC2 before I start on Brotherhood though. Well at least I don't have to worry about the first one then.

It kind of is broke, though. I mean, it's intended to be easy and trivial, but...eh. I just find it a little discouraging that the concerns about the combat were brought up in Assassin's Creed 1, were brought up against as a major flaw for Assassin's Creed 2 and now, on the third one, they have shown absolutely no desire to change it.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 11-20-2010 03:25:59 PM
Well to be fair, ACBro was basically an exceptionally well executed quick cash-in. If they were going to make any major changes to core systems, it would've taken more than a year

Kegwen fucked around with this message on 11-20-2010 at 03:26 PM.

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 11-20-2010 03:56:35 PM
"Too big for DLC" expansion pack
Nina
posted 11-20-2010 09:43:14 PM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan painfully thought these words up:
I just find it a little discouraging that the concerns about the combat were brought up in Assassin's Creed 1, were brought up against as a major flaw for Assassin's Creed 2 and now, on the third one, they have shown absolutely no desire to change it.

Oh, they changed it since AC1. Straight from the lead designer's mouth (and only vaguely paraphrased), instead of having only one "I WIN" button (counter), every button is now a "I WIN" button.

What people don't often notice straight away is certain weapons perform better against slow/fast/etc. enemy types. It's not very noticeable because you can still pretty much kill anything by just wailing away at them, though.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 11-30-2010 04:24:16 AM
Now that I've had the chance to dive into this, I'd say finish II before you start.

I don't find normal combat all that challenging, but the combat you need to maintain for some of the full synch conditions (like not losing health, even partial squares) can make for some interesting challenges. I think Kick is a bit less cryptic in Brotherhood than it was in II as well.

And I love the Execution Streaks. They're a godsend when you're trying to fulfill those full synch conditions.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 12-03-2010 08:31:04 PM
First Assassin's Creed sets the stage, but frankly I'd rent it, play it for a few hours, then read the wikipedia summary of the story and decide if you want to repeat the first few hours over and over and over and over and over and over and over again to get a more elaborate explanation. Having played through the first game at a time when the wikipedia summary wasn't up...I honestly wish I'd waited so I'd know what I was getting into.

Second game has a beefier story at its core, and they do a somewhat better job of minimizing the need for doing the repetitive/tedious/optional crap, both of which help. Weapons and armor are all upgradeable, and some of them offer marginal differences in combat (hammers are interchangeable with long blades in that weapon slot, and while swords are faster; hammers make countering easier, etc), which helps, but doesn't solve the issues in combat (it's not perfect, but it seems to flow a lot better than in the first game). Character-wise, Ezio is an infinitely more likeable character than Altair, they do a hell of a lot better explaining his motivations and reasons for doing what he does, and it's frankly a bit more believable than Altair...and if you get bored you can make fun of all the Renaissance Italian stereotypes. Game also does a better job of explaining that the hell is going on, why you should care, and it starts to posit some interesting questions about the world they've created. The stuff outside the Animus dealing with Desmond is also VASTLY more interesting, mainly because he starts to get answers rather than being locked in a bedroom 90% of the time he's out of the Animus like he was in the first game.

Brotherhood actually started life intended to be a major DLC/Expansion Pack, introducing a conceptual reason for why they'd add 1. more assassins, and 2. distinctively different assassins with different personalities, and it sort of evolved. I haven't played Brotherhood myself, but from what Lyinar and our friend Karl have told me, it has a pretty solid (if not full 40+ hour feature length) storyline that contributes to the overall story of AC2.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 12-04-2010 04:29:27 AM
I loved AC1 and AC2, AC1 was in fact one of the only XBOX360 games I have which I've bothered to get 100% on in achievements.

Will definately get Brotherhood, probably for xmas.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 12-04-2010 05:58:48 PM
Finished it last night

HOLY SHIT

It was a well-crafted addition to the ACII story. It ties up things left hanging at the end of ACII and the end leaves things more than open for continuing the story. Plus it definitely ends on an "OMG!" moment.

It doesn't have *quite* the same feel of length as ACII, but I imagine that's why they made this a sequel to the story in II rather than ACIII. There's still plenty of optional things to do like in II, but there are less core memory sequences, so even if you do the optional memories, the game does have a shorter feel to it.

All in all, well worth getting and a great addition to the franchise. And damnit, now I want the next one because I want to jump into finding out what's going on.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: