EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Fallout: New Vegas
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 11-09-2010 07:26:34 PM
Pretty fun! It's telling that I'm hooked on this and my copy of The Force Unleashed 2 is gathering dust.

Good Points

• REALLY FUCKING ADDICTIVE, LIKE CRACK.
  • Running around punching holes through peoples heads with your bare hands never gets old.

Bad Points

• Like most Bethesda games, once you get over level 26 or so everything becomes laughably easy, even on Hard difficulty. I just walked into Ceasar's camp in normal combat armour and gunned down everyone in range with a minigun, they lasted about five seconds. Yay I guess.
  • A few bug fixes need addressing like followers leaping off canyons and bouncing off walls. You know, the usual.
  • Graphics engine is starting to show its age.
  • Main quest line can be completed in a few hours if you do nothing else, but then you'd be a boring bastard.
  • Mortious
    Gluttonous Overlard
    posted 11-09-2010 07:29:56 PM
    Also have around 50,000 bottlecaps, even after implants.

Loot falls out of everything you open in this game. You open a tin of beans and gold fucking pours out on your shoes.

Greenlit
    posted 11-09-2010 07:55:49 PM
    I can't wait for the Gamebryo engine to be kicked to the fucking curb.
    Willias
    Pancake
    posted 11-09-2010 08:46:45 PM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYWi6-BcGCQ warning: slight spoilers

Willias fucked around with this message on 11-09-2010 at 08:47 PM.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
    Are you looking at my pine tree again?
    posted 11-09-2010 10:18:28 PM
    Deth has been enjoying it quite a bit as well, although the bugs are making themselves known more in this one than in Fallout 3. He lost an entire day's play due to a corrupted save file. Now he's saving to different save files once an hour.

I'm starting to get a little tired of hearing Big Iron, though.

He played through Force Unleashed the night his save file corrupted on him. Pretty short campaign, but he enjoyed it.

He's also playing Fable III.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Random Insanity Generator
    Condom Ninja El Supremo
    posted 11-09-2010 10:44:40 PM
    Got it at midnight release. Cussed because I couldn't install it for 2 hours after I got it.

Been playing it when I'm at home, which means I really only play WoW at work these days. Avoiding the main storyline as much as possible because of the "issues" with FO3. Overall enjoying it despite the bugs. Granted I started trivializing the game around level 15 when I got the Sniper Rifle and added a silencer to it. ED-E and Boone are way OP if you have a good Gun and Sneak skill set.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
    -----------------------------------
    "That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
    That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
    Mightion Defensor
    posted 11-09-2010 10:47:46 PM
    I'm kinda unsure what to do next... I just got the Power Armor training and Gauss Rifle (glee!), but with all the quests I have for the ending, I'm not quite sure what I want to do next.

I was/am getting tired of seeing that little red shield icon when I'm trying to blast things, even with Armor piercing ammo...

I'd probably have finished by now if I hadn't been sidetracked by Rock Band 3.

Mortious
    Gluttonous Overlard
    posted 11-10-2010 12:59:42 PM
    BIG IRON ON HIS HIP.

BIG IRON ON HIS HIIIIIIP.

*unleashes minigun justice on the offending radio*

Mortious
    Gluttonous Overlard
    posted 11-10-2010 01:00:50 PM
    quote:
    Greenlit said:

It looked amazing in Oblivion, especially with high res texture packs.

But that was years ago.

Now it looks shit.

Tarquinn
    Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
    posted 11-10-2010 01:15:21 PM
    Plese assume the position.
    ~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
    Condom Ninja El Supremo
    posted 11-10-2010 02:32:47 PM
    It didn't work out so well for DAoC, why would people keep using it?
    * NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
    "That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
    That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
    Skaw
    posted 11-10-2010 06:26:17 PM
    quote:
    Greenlit enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:

Same, I'm hoping they end up using id's new engine they're using for Rage when it comes time for Fallout 4.

Greenlit
    posted 11-11-2010 12:31:41 AM
    quote:
    Mortious had this to say about Knight Rider:
    BIG IRON ON HIS HIP.

BIG IRON ON HIS HIIIIIIP.

*unleashes minigun justice on the offending radio*

fuck you, big iron is god tier

Bloodsage
    Heart Attack
    posted 11-11-2010 04:01:09 AM
    My biggest beef with NV is the beginning seemed forced, and the whole thing seems utterly seamless from the previous game. I had to jump back to the main quest when I was doing other things and started to get random messages that I'd failed quests I'd never heard of. So much for The House Always Wins storyline.

Big Iron's the one song I don't get tired of, though.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
    Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Tarquinn
    Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
    posted 11-11-2010 07:23:23 AM
    "Patrolling the Mojave makes you wish for a big iron that jingle jangle jingles." - Johnny Guitar
    ~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
    Skaw
    posted 11-11-2010 09:57:51 AM
    quote:
    Bloodsage had this to say about (_|_):
    [QB]My biggest beef with NV is the beginning seemed forced, and the whole thing seems utterly seamless from the previous game.

While the beginning is forced, you pick up on the Courier back story and eventually get told the whole plot Benny had cooked up.

Also, seamless? Are you sure you're just not using the right word there? The games plot has absolutely nothing to do with Fallout 3s. It's more of a direct sequel to 2 than anything else in that regard.

If you meant it plays exactly the same, well thats Bethesdas use of Gamebryo for you. Can't really expect much that's fresh from a 6 year old engine.

Skaw fucked around with this message on 11-11-2010 at 09:58 AM.

Mortious
    Gluttonous Overlard
    posted 11-11-2010 04:22:00 PM
    I had the same problem. By the time I reached Benny I was level 26, sleeping with the NCR, and all Mr House's robots wanted to do was fuck me up every time they so much as sniffed I was within a mile of them. Of course, at level 26+ you just kinda laugh at their pea shooters and blast them in the face with a gauss rifle.

Was kind of annoying and also pretty odd when Victor just randomly turned up dead infront of the Lucky 38 for no apparent reason.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
    posted 11-11-2010 06:49:24 PM
    quote:
    Everyone wondered WTF when Random Insanity Generator wrote:
    Got it at midnight release. Cussed because I couldn't install it for 2 hours after I got it.

Been playing it when I'm at home, which means I really only play WoW at work these days. Avoiding the main storyline as much as possible because of the "issues" with FO3. Overall enjoying it despite the bugs. Granted I started trivializing the game around level 15 when I got the Sniper Rifle and added a silencer to it. ED-E and Boone are way OP if you have a good Gun and Sneak skill set.

Hehe, Deth says that ED-E and Boone are OP no matter what your skillset. I know that when I've watched him play, Boone is constantly firing off on something before Deth even has a glimmer that it's there.

Skaw
    posted 11-11-2010 07:57:00 PM
    ED-E sucks. It's just too bad you can't take two humanoid companions because Arcade Gannon isn't too far behind Boone. Even though he uses a Plasma Pistol, his unique one is incredibly strong.
    Condom Ninja El Supremo
    posted 11-11-2010 10:44:20 PM
    quote:
    Lyinar Ka`Bael had this to say about Robocop:
    Hehe, Deth says that ED-E and Boone are OP no matter what your skillset. I know that when I've watched him play, Boone is constantly firing off on something before Deth even has a glimmer that it's there.

I've had a lot of people say that, but I've never seen it. I see targets before Boone does because of ED-E. Most people say Boone is just OP by himself (he does have a sweet gun, much more evil when you give him the TriLaser).

Condom Ninja El Supremo
    posted 11-11-2010 10:45:49 PM
    Oh yeah....

I FUCKING LOST 4 POWER ARMOR SUITS. ED-E was carrying them for me and I "lost" him for some upgrades to the Brotherhood for a while. They stole the 4 power armor suits I looted from their dead Paladins.

Fucking bunch of thieves. Ought to go in the and HFG them to death.

Bloodsage
    Heart Attack
    posted 11-12-2010 01:55:50 AM
    quote:
    Bent over the coffee table, Mortious squealed:
    I had the same problem. By the time I reached Benny I was level 26, sleeping with the NCR, and all Mr House's robots wanted to do was fuck me up every time they so much as sniffed I was within a mile of them. Of course, at level 26+ you just kinda laugh at their pea shooters and blast them in the face with a gauss rifle.

Was kind of annoying and also pretty odd when Victor just randomly turned up dead infront of the Lucky 38 for no apparent reason.

We must be long-lost twins, or something; that's exactly what I did.

Bloodsage
    Heart Attack
    posted 11-12-2010 01:56:23 AM
    quote:
    Quoth Tarquinn:
    "Patrolling the Mojave makes you wish for a big iron that jingle jangle jingles." - Johnny Guitar

Tarquinn wins the thread.

Condom Ninja El Supremo
    posted 11-12-2010 03:49:51 AM
    quote:
    ACES! Another post by Mortious:
    ... level 26, sleeping with the NCR ...

Really? The only person I've found to sleep with so far is Red Lucy. And she's an expensive broad to get in the mood.

Mightion Defensor
    posted 11-12-2010 03:10:59 PM
    My character is female, and so good she squeaks... except for that one time with Santiago. And the Sexbot incident.

I'm kinda annoyed... I'd been doing stuff for the NCR pretty much the whole game, and somehow the NCR quest "For The Republic" vanished from my quest log. Looks like I'm going for Wild Card. The NCR already wants to have my babies, but the game warned me they won't "Have work for me", if I keep working with Yes Man.

I did tell Caesar to fuck off after upgrading the Protectrons and killing Benny in the arena. Looks like I'm heading towards taking over Vegas myself - gotta get a VIP card. It was funny getting Karl to badmouth the Great Khans, though.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
    posted 11-12-2010 07:32:52 PM
    quote:
    Check out the big brain on Random Insanity Generator!
    Really? The only person I've found to sleep with so far is Red Lucy. And she's an expensive broad to get in the mood.

...that's not the ghoul, is it?

That scene where Deth went and convinced her to work for the Garretts was just ick.

Condom Ninja El Supremo
    posted 11-13-2010 01:38:10 AM
    quote:
    Lyinar Ka`Bael spewed forth this undeniable truth:
    ...that's not the ghoul, is it?

That scene where Deth went and convinced her to work for the Garretts was just ick.

No, it's the Leader of the Thorn.

Mightion Defensor
    posted 11-20-2010 02:40:21 PM
    I expected New Vegas to be buggy, and it sure locked up on me a few times during my travels...

...but I never expected it to lock up on me during the ending.

Twice. During the epilogues.

Unbelievable.

Mortious
    Gluttonous Overlard
    posted 11-20-2010 06:22:49 PM
    Locked up on me during the ending, too.

Fun game though. The Boomers Bomber carpet bombing the Hoover Dam was awesome, as was the pretty "fireworks" display over at the Legion Fort if you unleashed the robot army.

Vallo, the Second Coming
    Pancake
    posted 11-20-2010 06:33:30 PM
    Just beat it, and even though it had the occasional annoying bug (Got stuck in a wall and had to use a cheat to teleport out, had it freeze twice at seemingly random times) overall it was amazing!

I chose the path with House, got the Boomers, helped the cannibals, murdered almost everyone else (After I got my power armor training of course.)

Gonna do a second play through as more or less a chaotic good, sneaky melee/pistoleer with tons of speech and barter. Figure either let the NCR take over or take over myself as a shining beacon of vigilante justice.

Edit: Oh just for good measure, I shot the NCR Lt. in the head and turned to kill his troops after delivering House's terms...and the fire from the robots behind me, aiming at the NCR troops to assist me, killed me in about three seconds.

Vallo, the Second Coming fucked around with this message on 11-20-2010 at 06:35 PM.

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special."
    Vallo, the Second Coming
    Pancake
    posted 11-20-2010 06:34:17 PM
    quote:
    Random Insanity Generator wrote, obviously thinking too hard:

Have you tried the whore house? Or the other whore house?

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special."
    Vallo, the Second Coming
    Pancake
    posted 11-20-2010 06:36:18 PM
    quote:
    Mortious thought about the meaning of life:
    Also have around 50,000 bottlecaps, even after implants.

Loot falls out of everything you open in this game. You open a tin of beans and gold fucking pours out on your shoes.

...Implants?

Mortious
    Gluttonous Overlard
    posted 11-20-2010 07:47:23 PM
    quote:
    Vallo, the Second Coming said:
    ...Implants?

East of the Crimson Caravan Company compound there's the New Vegas Clinic. The doctor there sells implants that give +1 to each S.P.E.C.I.A.L stat for 4000 bottlecaps each. Also one implant that gives you damage resistance and another implant that gives you health regeneration, both which are double or triple that price.

You have to have the required Endurance in order to fit them, one Endurance point per implant, so an Endurance of 9 for all of them.

Mightion Defensor
    posted 11-20-2010 11:28:54 PM
    quote:
    Mortious wrote their words upon the rocks;
    East of the Crimson Caravan Company compound there's the New Vegas Clinic. The doctor there sells implants that give +1 to each S.P.E.C.I.A.L stat for 4000 bottlecaps each. Also one implant that gives you damage resistance and another implant that gives you health regeneration, both which are double or triple that price.

You have to have the required Endurance in order to fit them, one Endurance point per implant, so an Endurance of 9 for all of them.

Wow, didn't know that. Time to head over there, I guess. After I finish these Omberta quests - I started them for that last bit of EXP needed to hit level 30. I think maybe the fact I leveled to 30 during Yes Man's final speeches may be why the ending keeps locking up. I've never made it through the end of the endings.

Condom Ninja El Supremo
    posted 11-21-2010 04:18:20 AM
    quote:
    This one time, at Vallo, the Second Coming camp:
    Have you tried the whore house? Or the other whore house?

Nope. Are these in Vegas or Freeside? I found one joint in Freeside that seems to offer whores, but I was too busy getting banned to care...

Vallo, the Second Coming
    Pancake
    posted 11-21-2010 04:20:29 AM
    quote:
    Random Insanity Generator impressed everyone with:
    Nope. Are these in Vegas or Freeside? I found one joint in Freeside that seems to offer whores, but I was too busy getting banned to care...

One's a hotel in Vegas, the other's a shitty little apartment complex in Freeside.

Densetsu
    NOT DRYSART
    posted 12-03-2010 02:16:41 PM
    quote:
    What is a Mortious? A miserable little pile of secrets! But enough talk... Have at you!
    Pretty fun! It's telling that I'm hooked on this and my copy of The Force Unleashed 2 is gathering dust.

In your defense, The Force Unleashed II only has like...3 levels.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piƱa coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
    Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
    I posted in a title changing thread.
    posted 12-03-2010 08:08:03 PM
    So...in playthrough number 2, as my female (wanted to see what sort of options female characters have DON'T JUDGE ME!) ninja Sneak/Unarmed specialist, I went to Caesar's camp under a promise of neutrality to steal paperwork to convince the Khans to bugger off peacefully. Got there, they took the chip, they took most of my bigger weapons (which is fine, since I still had my Ballistic Fist). Made me leave my sidekicks (Veronica and ED-E) outside. No big deal. Caesar won't give me back the chip or my toys until I go break House's doodad. I've stolen the paperwork, so I agree.

I go down to the bunker, thinking I'll get my gear and exit. Except as soon as I get my gear I hit attack and...punch the head off the Legion goon. And his buddies jump me. So I clear the room, figuring I can run off under stealth. Yeah. Not so much. Entire camp falls on me as soon as I step outside and I realize I left my peeps back up at the tent, and they're dead, I'm alone, and HERE COME THE PRAETORIANS. Bugger me with a broomstick.

Long story short, I end up wiping the camp, the nameds (Antony has a named teddy bear!), and finally Caesar himself as he and his people come swarming out of his tiny little tent like it's a god damned Neo-Roman clown car of suck. And it isn't until I punch Caesar so hard his body flies over a fence where I can't loot it (ended up looting his disconnected head later) and the camera pans during the critical hit animation that I realize I'm still wearing the Naughty Nightwear (it made me feel pretty and I needed the +10 to Speech DON'T YOU JUDGE ME!)

So...Head of the Legion and most of his top-tier goons were wiped out by a skinny little purple haired girl with glasses and a beret wearing a leopard-print nightie.

I probably snickered about that for twenty minutes before I heard Mr New Vegas talk about "Caesar assassinated under mysterious circumstances" at which point I must've laughed out loud for ten more minutes.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
    "All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
    *Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Ghost of Forums Past
    Pancake
    posted 12-09-2010 07:01:30 PM
    I just grabbed the game through steam. How replayable is it? Is it worth having to simultaneous games - one on my gaming PC and one on the laptop next to my bed?

I know Fallout 3 would let you go good/evil so I figure I could try to do that (one with each machine). I'd also like to make my gaming machine a fighting build and the laptop a bit more social/sneak.

Ghost of Forums Past fucked around with this message on 12-09-2010 at 08:03 PM.

Mortious
    Gluttonous Overlard
    posted 12-10-2010 08:47:48 AM
    There are a lot of different endings.

Mr House wins.
    The NCR wins.
    The Legion wins.
    You fuck everyone.

Then you get all the ending variations based on your actions, who you met, who you ran with etc.

All times are US/Eastern
    Hop To: