EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: New TOR Cinematic
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 06-15-2010 08:42:55 AM
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 06-15-2010 09:16:07 AM
Looks better than the prequels.
~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Steven Steve
posted 06-15-2010 10:52:50 AM
It's like the City of Heroes cinematics

By that I mean there's insane high-flying action and smooth, realistic graphics in the CG teasers and then the game consists of blocky cartoony characters that stand in front of each other and press 1

"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 06-15-2010 11:07:39 AM
So Light-side Jedi... can Hadouken?
* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Sentow, I Guess
Pancake
posted 06-15-2010 11:53:14 AM
Welp, I'm definitely rolling a Trooper =3
KIERKEGAARD

Sigpic shamelessly stolen from Kate Beaton.

Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 06-15-2010 12:37:52 PM
Really feeling too much of a Clone Wars vibe with that video. Couldn't they make Trooper armor... different than everything used during the SW movies/shows?
Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
Timpofee
Mancake
posted 06-15-2010 12:57:29 PM
quote:
Mortious said this about your mom:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBGvAJ6-SsY

I came.

Hold me

Timpofee
Mancake
posted 06-15-2010 12:59:13 PM
quote:
Random Insanity Generator wrote this stupid crap:
So Light-side Jedi... can Hadouken?

The darkside uses lightning for the pew pew
The Lightside uses basically Gravity.. so yeah the force ball.

Lightside jedi use the stun method and lock down very well

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 06-15-2010 01:09:07 PM
quote:
Steven Steve's account was hax0red to write:
It's like the City of Heroes cinematics

By that I mean there's insane high-flying action and smooth, realistic graphics in the CG teasers and then the game consists of blocky cartoony characters that stand in front of each other and press 1

Basically, this. Sure, the CG is pretty, but that seems to be the bulk of the stuff coming out about TOR. I mean, there have been some gameplay videos, but they seem to be doing all sorts of CG wankery. Which makes me kind of sad, because they're building up so much hype for a game that won't get anywhere near the awesome that is the CG screens.

The last game that talked about having "awesome cinematic combat" was Matrix Online. It also talked about having a great story and such. And we all remember how good that game was. While Bioware definitely has more of a pedigree when it comes to RPGs, I'm wanting to see more gameplay, less worthless CG.

Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 06-15-2010 01:36:18 PM
All other thuoghts about the game aside, I'm confused.

The commander guy in the trailer was shooting at the sith guy, who was deflecting the rockets/deadly shit flying at him. What does this commander do then? He drops his gun, pulls a small knife, and charges toward the evil sith lord?

Please explain Mort.

My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
Steven Steve
posted 06-15-2010 02:09:40 PM
quote:
Verily, Rodent King doth proclaim:
All other thuoghts about the game aside, I'm confused.

The commander guy in the trailer was shooting at the sith guy, who was deflecting the rockets/deadly shit flying at him. What does this commander do then? He drops his gun, pulls a small knife, and charges toward the evil sith lord?

Please explain Mort.

He ran out of ammo

"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."

Blindy
Roll for initiative, Monkey Boy!
posted 06-15-2010 02:42:29 PM
So which button will be the "Flip over one dude with your laser staff while kicking one person in the face and stabbing a droid in the head" move?

I think it will be 4.

Definately 4.

On a plane ride, the more it shakes,
The more I have to let go.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 06-15-2010 03:25:36 PM
The TOR cinematic at E3 was five minutes long.

The TOR press conference was one minute long and basically said: "We are going to have BGs."

This game is officially more cinema than game at this point.

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 06-15-2010 04:55:29 PM
That fits in with the (newer) movies, which are more special effects than plot.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 06-15-2010 05:19:11 PM
Have you all not watched the awesome ten minute long gameplay video?
Mr. Parcelan
posted 06-15-2010 05:46:08 PM
I saw what appeared to be two guys standing and shooting at each other

also a lightsaber

Blindy.
posted 06-15-2010 06:04:00 PM
quote:
Did someone say Mortious:

Please to provide link

Sentow, I Guess
Pancake
posted 06-15-2010 06:32:52 PM
The Old Republic is the first video game in history to show characters performing actions not actually possible in the game.
KIERKEGAARD

Sentow, I Guess
Pancake
posted 06-15-2010 06:35:52 PM
Also: I believe this is the long trailer showing off actual gameplay that Mortious was referring to.
KIERKEGAARD

Steven Steve
posted 06-15-2010 07:51:49 PM
quote:
Mortious had this to say about John Romero:

I already played it when it was World of Warcraft and I was unimpressed

Blindy
posted 06-16-2010 08:39:00 AM
quote:
If Sentow, I Guess was a glacier, they'd be a fast one:
The Old Republic is the first video game in history to show characters performing actions not actually possible in the game.

> STRAW MAN SPOTTED
> CALIBRATING LASERS

Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 06-16-2010 10:13:33 AM
quote:
A sleep deprived Blindy stammered:
> STRAW MAN SPOTTED
> CALIBRATING LASERS

Might want to calibrate other things as well....

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Sentow, I Guess
Pancake
posted 06-16-2010 10:30:57 AM
quote:
Blindy attempted to be funny by writing:
> STRAW MAN SPOTTED
> CALIBRATING LASERS

No.

EDIT: If you want to be mad that Bioware is producing CG trailers that (probably!) don't accurately reflect gameplay, fine. But they're hardly the first developer to do this, so it's ridiculous to me that everyone's suddenly jumping on the hatewagon about it.

Sentow, I Guess fucked around with this message on 06-16-2010 at 10:37 AM.

KIERKEGAARD

Blindy
posted 06-16-2010 11:21:12 AM
The root issue here is that trailers like this aren't really telling you anything about the game. You won't be able to do any of that stuff, the game isn't going to look anything like that, the effects won't be anywhere near that spectacular, and combat won't be anywhere near that intense. This is basically just their CGI team stroking it.

It's silly to get excited about a game because of how awesome the combat and effects look in this movie.

Steven Steve
posted 06-16-2010 12:13:55 PM
Yeah exactly. Imagine if their brilliant CGI animators were paid to make the in-game animations not look choppy and robotic rather than pumping up the hype wagon with all of these extraneous cinematics, and if the 2D artists were paid to make textures that didn't resemble Clone Wars (World of Warcraft) rather than making comics that introduce side characters first, and if the game designers tried to create something other than World of Warcraft instead of doing interviews while spouting off ancient MMO advertising slogans ("you will feel like a hero" "your story will be unique" "the fights will be action-packed" "this is the second, darker chapter" oops wrong game).

Steven Steve fucked around with this message on 06-16-2010 at 12:14 PM.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 06-16-2010 01:52:51 PM
quote:
A sleep deprived Sentow, I Guess stammered:
No.

EDIT: If you want to be mad that Bioware is producing CG trailers that (probably!) don't accurately reflect gameplay, fine. But they're hardly the first developer to do this, so it's ridiculous to me that everyone's suddenly jumping on the hatewagon about it.

Compare this to the Warhammer 40K MMO trailer that just recently came out, which at least seems to use the game engine itself to show off what the game is about.

I'm all for nice CG stuff, but I'd like to see some trailers that reflect the game engine and what the actual gameplay looks like. I saw that one gameplay trailer and it really doesn't feel nearly as awesome as the trailer

Bioware has been, since the game was announced, touting how in game combat is going to feel different, cinematic, and amazing. It'll stand out from every other MMO and feel Star-Warsy. For me to get excited about the game, I want to see that exciting combat -- I want to see combat that feels fun and entertaining, as opposed to dull and, well, WoW-Like. Sure, there were some neat special moves in that one gameplay video, but it still felt, well, WoWish. You shoot your guns on a cooldown, and it is VERY obvious there is a cooldown, while your character just stands in the open. Lightsaber combat looks like it might be interesting, but beyond that, this game just feels like WoW in the Star Wars world. And I know I'm not the only one that feels like this. Yet nothing is being done to dispel that myth, they're just throwing more and more CG out there as opposed to showing more of the game that isn't going to live up to expectations that were laid out awhile back.

Falaanla Marr fucked around with this message on 06-16-2010 at 01:53 PM.

Steven Steve
posted 06-16-2010 02:33:52 PM
I don't get the point of the cooldown, they might as well just make actions stack like in KotOR, which was close enough to an MMO combat system anyway. It makes it kind of obvious that they're doing the same old MMO shit out of some superstitious belief that this is what an MMO needs, rather than trying to innovate or, in this case, keep continuity with the series.

Blindy.
posted 06-16-2010 11:25:04 PM
I do commend some of the advancements such as the cover system, but I wonder how well this story will really hold up.
Greenlit
posted 06-17-2010 10:00:25 AM
quote:
Falaanla Marr thought about the meaning of life:
Bioware has been, since the game was announced, touting how in game combat is going to feel different, cinematic, and amazing. It'll stand out from every other MMO and feel Star-Warsy. For me to get excited about the game, I want to see that exciting combat -- I want to see combat that feels fun and entertaining, as opposed to dull and, well, WoW-Like. Sure, there were some neat special moves in that one gameplay video, but it still felt, well, WoWish. You shoot your guns on a cooldown, and it is VERY obvious there is a cooldown, while your character just stands in the open. Lightsaber combat looks like it might be interesting, but beyond that, this game just feels like WoW in the Star Wars world. And I know I'm not the only one that feels like this. Yet nothing is being done to dispel that myth, they're just throwing more and more CG out there as opposed to showing more of the game that isn't going to live up to expectations that were laid out awhile back.

sing along at home, kids

ACCESSIBILITY
LOWEST COMMON DENOMINATOR

catering to these sells product, and I know you know that Fal I'm not picking on you, but everyone forgets it from time to time

Steven Steve
posted 06-17-2010 11:10:26 AM
Do any of you want to get a guild going in this godforsaken game?

Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 06-17-2010 11:44:33 AM
The Avatars, part 2!
Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 06-17-2010 02:59:18 PM
I'm not starting a guild, I'm just going to join a fairly decent one and run with the crew.

When you're a guild admin over 3 games in succession it gets real old real fast.

Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 06-17-2010 03:09:17 PM
Yes it does. But we can make you our Evil Sith Figurehead Overlord. Like Vader.
Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Steven Steve
posted 06-17-2010 03:56:14 PM
Oh god, starting a guild would actually mean having to organize raids and shit wouldn't it? Well, there goes that idea

Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 06-17-2010 03:57:03 PM
quote:
Steven Steve wrote this stupid crap:
Oh god, starting a guild would actually mean having to organize raids and shit wouldn't it? Well, there goes that idea

Yep. Everyone wants to come to the party but very few want to clean up afterward.

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Steven Steve
posted 06-17-2010 03:59:24 PM
Well, does anyone want to team up but not expect me to have any responsibility when this game comes out?

nem-x
posted 06-17-2010 05:32:58 PM
Talonus
Loner
posted 06-17-2010 05:54:57 PM
Not if you plan to play for longer than a month.
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 06-18-2010 12:16:48 PM
quote:
Greenlit had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
sing along at home, kids

ACCESSIBILITY
LOWEST COMMON DENOMINATOR

catering to these sells product, and I know you know that Fal I'm not picking on you, but everyone forgets it from time to time

Yup, fully agreed. Sucks when they've been talking about how they're going to break the mold, but it had to be expected. Until someone tries to break the mold, does so, and kills WoW, everything that comes out will simply be a WoW clone.

which means all MMOs from here on out will be WoW clones. Not to say I'm pining for the days of EQ level grinding and such, as WoW did bring some great stuff to the genre (such as quest-driven leveling), but lots of stuff could be improved on.

I still miss when SWG was a good game

Falaanla Marr fucked around with this message on 06-18-2010 at 12:18 PM.

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 06-18-2010 12:21:50 PM
quote:

I still miss when SWG was a good game [/QB]

SWG being a good game? Yeah, I totally missed that too.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: