EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Uninstall/Reinstall Explorer?
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 04-18-2010 05:27:23 AM
I've still got this annoying cookie-handling problem that no amount of jiggling settings (including resetting them to default) seems to address. Amazon's site is still unusable, and various quirks make others more or less annoying.

I've narrowed it down to IE8 on my main box. Chrome works, but I hate Chrome, and IE works on other machines.

So I want to start from scratch with IE...but can't figure how to uninstall/reinstall it. Is it as simple as turning IE8 off in the Control Panel and then downloading a copy from MS? Or can one actually uninstall in and then reinstall it?

Help me, EC, you're my only hope.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 04-18-2010 06:53:37 AM
If you run another IE8 installer doesn't it give you a repair option?

I dunno, never tried it myself. Sorry.

Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 04-19-2010 04:39:20 PM
If you don't get an acceptable answer here, I've found that the level of response on the "Haus of Tech Support" sub-forum on Something Awful to be exceptional. It may be worth your time to ask there as well.

Ghost of Forums Past fucked around with this message on 04-19-2010 at 04:41 PM.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 04-19-2010 09:15:24 PM
Found this

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700

Sorry I can't help more. IE's been so buggy for me that I just went straight Firefox and never looked back.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 04-20-2010 10:53:26 AM
I know this is probably a stupid question, but did you go to Tools->Internet Options->General->Browsing History->Delete to clear your cache yet?

What is the issue, exactly? Is it possible that it's a proxy settings issue? Do you use this machine to access a closed network?

Ghost of Forums Past fucked around with this message on 04-20-2010 at 10:59 AM.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 04-20-2010 02:19:51 PM
quote:
Bent over the coffee table, Ghost of Forums Past squealed:
I know this is probably a stupid question, but did you go to Tools->Internet Options->General->Browsing History->Delete to clear your cache yet?

What is the issue, exactly? Is it possible that it's a proxy settings issue? Do you use this machine to access a closed network?

Yeah, I've cleared the caches and cookies both manually and from the menu, as well as tried various settings with the history.

The issue is worst with the Amazon page: when I log in, it won't remember my cookie between page refreshes and it sends me into an infinite sign in loop every time I try to download something for my Kindle. I don't have the problem either with other machines and IE, or with Chrome on this machine. It just started happening one day. Less annoyingly, I've also had troubles with IE remembering cookies from other sites, but oddly enough I was able to fix that by keeping the History set to at least one day.

I have both the 64-bit (useless) IE and 32-bit version installed...maybe it's confusing itself? Nothing within IE seems to work, so I'm hoping to simply delete and reinstall it, but can't figure out how. sadf

Kaglaaz How'ler
Pancake
posted 04-20-2010 11:53:07 PM
What's the chance you've got Microsoft antivirus? That thing is the worst! Clears all sorts of logins/cookies and the real joke is I couldn't watch my Digital Recordings from my PC on my 360 because it was blocking the connection for some odd reason.
http://www.bloodfin.net
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 04-21-2010 02:35:40 AM
quote:
Verily, the chocolate bunny rabbits doth run and play while Kaglaaz How'ler gently hums:
What's the chance you've got Microsoft antivirus? That thing is the worst! Clears all sorts of logins/cookies and the real joke is I couldn't watch my Digital Recordings from my PC on my 360 because it was blocking the connection for some odd reason.

I use Kaspersky...but I should probably run through the billion settings on that, too. I've been using it for years, though, and never had a problem.

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 04-21-2010 07:45:40 AM
Uninstall Explorer.

Install Firefox.

<-- is a MSCSE

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 04-21-2010 09:56:17 AM
quote:
Blindy. is attacking the darkness!
Uninstall Explorer.

quote:
Bloodsage has been nominated for the position of Voice In My Head.
So I want to start from scratch with IE...but can't figure how to uninstall/reinstall it.
quote:
Previously on Planet Blindy....
MSCSE
What information do you need, if any, to provide the requested assistance?
Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Blindy
Roll for initiative, Monkey Boy!
posted 04-21-2010 10:31:57 AM
None, Bloodsage's guess is right on the money.

However, the system behind internet explorer can never truly be "uninstalled", it's wholly integrated into the operating system. Unchecking Internet explorer in system components simply removes the shell. I am not entirely sure if you will be able to reset cookie settings by removing and re-adding the shell, those settings live in a somewhat gray area between IE and Windows.

On a plane ride, the more it shakes,
The more I have to let go.
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 04-21-2010 01:24:27 PM
So really, what he needs to know is, "Where do I find the check box I need to clear to remove Internet Explorer?" And to talk him through the complete process of finding that check box, you need to know, "What version of Windows are you running?" Does that about sum it up?
Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 04-21-2010 01:36:52 PM
Just to be clear, I know exactly where the checkbox is. Oh, and I've already said I'm not the least bit interested in using another browser.

What I'm hearing, though, is that installing a new version over the old one is about the only recourse.

Edit: is there a way, and would it potentially help, to get rid of the 64-bit version of IE (which is useless anyway)?

Bloodsage fucked around with this message on 04-21-2010 at 01:38 PM.

Blindy
posted 04-21-2010 01:42:11 PM
Try creating a new user account on your box and testing IE inside that account. That will tell you if it's a setting or something system based. I don't think you're going to get anything out of re-installing it, the security settings are not something that will be removed or in any way effected by IE being installed or not, they are system wide and based on user policy.

Oh, and you said you disliked chrome, you didn't say "all other browsers," and frankly, Firefox and Internet Explorer are so identical in capability and design that aside from the name of the favorites menu and the logo on the program I do not understand what you could possibly dislike.

But using Internet Explorer is like having unprotected sex with the internet. If you visit something dirty, it's got direct access to vital core parts of your windows installation. It is a universally bad idea, and I can not in good conscious offer you computer advise for it without warning you how terrible of an idea it is to continue using it, even if for whatever reason you "like" it.

Blindy fucked around with this message on 04-21-2010 at 01:47 PM.

nem-x
posted 04-21-2010 06:55:55 PM
Old people don't like change
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 04-23-2010 12:41:30 PM
quote:
Quoth Blindy:
Try creating a new user account on your box and testing IE inside that account. That will tell you if it's a setting or something system based. I don't think you're going to get anything out of re-installing it, the security settings are not something that will be removed or in any way effected by IE being installed or not, they are system wide and based on user policy.

Good tip--we make progress!

When I log into the admin account, it works like a charm. I'm starting to suspect Kaspersky at this point, though I'm unsure which setting would cause this particular cookie amnesia. I've already tried resetting IE's settings to default, with no result.

So...anyone use Kaspersky and have insight into what might cause this kind of buffoonery with IE but not Chrome? Alternatively, if it turns out to be a problem with Kaspersky, what is a good commercial replacement for Kaspersky Internet Security?

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 04-23-2010 01:21:15 PM
If you don't want to do Microsoft Security Essentials, then I'd recommend checking out NOD32
Blindy
posted 04-26-2010 09:56:34 AM
quote:
Bloodsage says ta-ma-to, I say To-ma-to:
Good tip--we make progress!

When I log into the admin account, it works like a charm. I'm starting to suspect Kaspersky at this point, though I'm unsure which setting would cause this particular cookie amnesia. I've already tried resetting IE's settings to default, with no result.

So...anyone use Kaspersky and have insight into what might cause this kind of buffoonery with IE but not Chrome? Alternatively, if it turns out to be a problem with Kaspersky, what is a good commercial replacement for Kaspersky Internet Security?

I am not familiar with Kaspersky, I would recommend AVG, it's always treated me right.

However, it's possible that you've somehow lost write-access to the cookies location under your account. Verify that you can make a .txt file in the folder located at %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low .

Blindy fucked around with this message on 04-26-2010 at 09:59 AM.

Maradon!
posted 04-26-2010 07:04:24 PM
Geek Squad has begun suggesting Kapersky, which means it'll start sucking balls just like PC-Cillin.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 04-27-2010 04:03:14 AM
What happened to everyone and their dog spooging over Avast?
Greenlit
posted 04-27-2010 04:26:49 AM
Always been about NOD for me.
Maradon!
posted 04-28-2010 06:20:03 PM
I browse bareback.
Nina
posted 04-29-2010 11:49:13 AM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Knight Rider:
I browse bareback.

Oh yeah. Nothing to get in the way of the action, feels great doesn't it?

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 04-29-2010 04:31:43 PM
I would say that I browse bareback too, but all my machines run Linux(I've stopped playing computer games altogether, so), so I dunno if that really counts. I guess it does.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 04-29-2010 10:28:33 PM
quote:
Karnaj had this to say about Robocop:
I would say that I browse bareback too, but all my machines run Linux(I've stopped playing computer games altogether, so), so I dunno if that really counts. I guess it does.

To run with the metaphor for a while, that would be like going bareback, but with some form of immunization to all currently known STDs.

Blindy
posted 04-29-2010 10:58:02 PM
Ubuntu 10.04 LTS is fsking hot.
Inferno-Spirit
Sports Advocate
posted 05-01-2010 03:18:01 AM
I browse bareback, but I only browse clean chicks anyhow.
"He lets the last Hungarian go, and he goes running. He waits until his wife and kids are in the ground and he goes after the rest of the mob. He kills their kids, he kills their wives, he kills their parents and their parents' friends. He burns down the houses they grew up in and the stores they work in, he kills people that owe them money. And like that he was gone. Underground. No one has ever seen him again. He becomes a myth, a spook story that criminals tell their kids at night. 'If you rat on your pop, Keyser Soze will get you.' And nobody really ever believes." - Roger 'Verbal' Kint, The Usual Suspects
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 05-01-2010 06:58:33 PM
quote:
Quoth Blindy:
I am not familiar with Kaspersky, I would recommend AVG, it's always treated me right.

However, it's possible that you've somehow lost write-access to the cookies location under your account. Verify that you can make a .txt file in the folder located at %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low .

Verified that I can write to the cookies folder.

Also, just for the fun of it, uninstalled Kaspersky to no effect.

Also also, I created another user account and it doesn't have the same problem with the Amazon web site. Strangely, Amazon's web site seems the only one to misbehave now. Giving the current login account Admin privileges didn't help, either.

Now I'm starting to think I need to nuke the whole profile and start over. What a pain in the ass.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 05-03-2010 08:26:44 AM
quote:
And now, we sprinkle Blindy liberally with Old Spice!
Ubuntu 10.04 LTS is fsking hot.

I've been holding off on pushing the upgrade button just so it won't take forever to download all the new packages.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 05-04-2010 12:32:56 AM
quote:
From the book of Bloodsage, chapter 3, verse 16:
Verified that I can write to the cookies folder.

Also, just for the fun of it, uninstalled Kaspersky to no effect.

Also also, I created another user account and it doesn't have the same problem with the Amazon web site. Strangely, Amazon's web site seems the only one to misbehave now. Giving the current login account Admin privileges didn't help, either.

Now I'm starting to think I need to nuke the whole profile and start over. What a pain in the ass.

You might check in IE's security settings to see if some variety of exception was made that blocks Amazon's cookies; a similar examination of Amazon itself, if possible, might be prudent.

Alternatively, set Firefox + Locationbar^2 + Glasser + Tab Mix Plus against resistance to change. Visually, that combination of addons makes FF pretty much indistinguishable from IE; a wee bit of tweaking through Tab Mix Plus makes it behave pretty much the same as well. I could set up FF that way on my grandparents' computer, change the icon and name to match IE, and they'd never notice; hell, I've actually done that for my wife and a couple of her friends.

Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 05-04-2010 04:12:22 PM
Unfortunately, going through the security settings with a fine-toothed comb was about the first thing I did--seems no matter what I do to them there's no change.

Since it worked fine for weeks after my clean Win7 install, I suspect either a security patch to IE or Win7 or one of the updates to Kaspersky tweaked something that caused it...there just doesn't seem to be a way to figure out what happened, and unistalling Kaspersky hasn't helped.

sadf

I'll nuke the profile and start over this weekend if I have time.

Blindy
posted 05-06-2010 01:12:55 PM
Chrome is awesome, though.

I added the --bookmarks-menu option to the shortcut and now it's even usable.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 05-06-2010 03:32:28 PM
I just don't like the look/feel of Chrome; gave a a good long try when it was released, and just couldn't grow to like the style. I'd love someone to make a schwoopy browser along the lines of Chrome that made some tangible leap toward better usability or an innovative new interface or something...

And any alleged speed increase is irrelevant until and unless I move somewhere where the intarweb is fully functional. I'm lucky to get download speeds above 200k.

Greenlit
posted 05-06-2010 06:08:36 PM
I thought Europe had a pretty good broadband network in place?
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 05-06-2010 10:54:05 PM
quote:
And coming in at #1 is Greenlit with "Reply." I'm Casey Casem.
I thought Europe had a pretty good broadband network in place?

You thought wrong.

Actually, on the whole, it's pretty good, especially when you compare rural broadband penetration over there with over here. However, since their cities are ancient, it's difficult to run to the requisite infrastructure, especially if buildings are historical landmarks or what have you.

Beer.

Greenlit
posted 05-07-2010 03:50:24 AM
Well don't I just learn something new every day.

Japan has the easy leg-up, I guess, given that some of their infrastructure is barely 70 years old.

New Orleans ought to be something special in a few years if this trend continues.

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 05-07-2010 05:21:35 AM
Of course, there are exceptions.

Thanks to the generous appliance of ordnance in my home region, some seventy years ago, I wouldn't call most of the stuff here ancient.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 05-07-2010 07:06:15 AM
In general, broadband over here is great...I just live in an area with more sheep than people, and just that far outside the reach of cable. Hell, I think a bit farther out and we'd be stuck with dialup.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: