EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Webcomics
Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 04-12-2010 10:39:53 AM
I'm looking to expand my daily webcomic routine. What SFW comics does everyone recommend?
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 04-12-2010 11:33:57 AM
I follow only two. Penny Arcade and Dr. McNinja.
~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Sentow, I Guess
Pancake
posted 04-12-2010 12:13:38 PM
Great is by the same dude who wrote and drew minus, so it's fantastic and insane. It only updates once a week, on Thursday =(

Basic Instructions takes instructions for living a good life, everything from politely turning down food to being a responsible car owner to thwarting an alien invasion, and humorously illustrates them. Read a strip and you'll get the idea.

Hark, a vagrant! by Kate Beaton. Awesome and hilarious comics based on history (usually).

Spinnerette is an affectionate parody of superhero comics drawn in a manga style and loaded with cheesecake (though I get the impression that's part of the parody; the scrawny, mousy main character inexplicably turns into a buxom bombshell when she dons her superhero costume). Not the best, but it has good moments, and the artwork is pretty strong when it doesn't spontaneously go chibi or whatever.

I don't know if this one counts, but The Comics Curmudgeon is a blog where an erudite young writer rags on newspaper comics.

KIERKEGAARD

Sigpic shamelessly stolen from Kate Beaton.

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 04-12-2010 02:16:34 PM
Freefall is one of my favorites. Manages to pull of social commentary without dropping the ball on funny.

Goblins started off with simple D&D humor, then grew into a really strong ongoing story. Kind of like Order of the Stick with better artwork.

Dominic Deegan is a daily strip with decent humor. It started simple, then grew into epic story. The artist is really good with showing emotion in facial expressions.

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 04-12-2010 03:56:15 PM
quote:
`Doc had this to say about John Romero:

Dominic Deegan is a daily strip with decent humor. It started simple, then grew into epic story. The artist is really good with showing emotion in facial expressions.

No.

Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 04-12-2010 04:12:49 PM

Ghost of Forums Past fucked around with this message on 04-12-2010 at 04:13 PM.

Peter
Pancake
posted 04-12-2010 06:09:42 PM
AFblues

Least I Could Do

Eerie Cuties

Girls With Slingshots

Nonadventures of Wonderella

Wapsi Square

the dreamland chronicles

Something positive

Sister Claire

questionable content

menagea3

Gunnerkrigg court

Order of the Stick

devils panties

brat-halla

I think that is most of my web-comics tab, I just pop them all open in the morning before I go shower and read them after as I my breakfast. My roommate far exceeds me, last I saw she had well over 50 sites bookmarked.

Peter fucked around with this message on 04-12-2010 at 06:17 PM.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 04-12-2010 06:55:43 PM
Girl Genius

LFG

Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 04-12-2010 07:45:54 PM
Girl Genius and Ctrl-Alt-Del if you don't already read them

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Skaw
posted 04-12-2010 11:55:23 PM
quote:
Lyinar Ka`Bael had this to say about Cuba:
Ctrl-Alt-Del

I'm pretty sure this is a thread about webcomics, not the untalented dribble of an alcoholic pedophile with an enormous ego who abuses women.

To contribute:
Nedroid
Boxer Hockey
Axe Cop
Fanboys(Pretty much dead though. Sucked early on, got better when the guy listened to criticism*)

*Unlike Tim Fuckley/B^Uckley/Irish-American Faggot.

Skaw fucked around with this message on 04-13-2010 at 12:01 AM.

Nina
posted 04-13-2010 12:11:05 AM
If you liked the cynical outview of Perry Bible Fellowship or The Parking Lot is Full, SMBC has a similar kind of humour. The author also runs SMBC Theatre, some regular sketches in a similar vein.
Greenlit
posted 04-13-2010 12:47:25 AM
Nedroid is pretty much the only webcomic worth reading.
Damnati
Filthy
posted 04-13-2010 01:11:50 AM
quote:
This one time, at Skaw camp:
I'm pretty sure this is a thread about webcomics, not the untalented dribble of an alcoholic pedophile with an enormous ego who abuses women.

To contribute:
Nedroid
Boxer Hockey
Axe Cop
Fanboys(Pretty much dead though. Sucked early on, got better when the guy listened to criticism*)

*Unlike Tim Fuckley/B^Uckley/Irish-American Faggot.

Axe Cop is fucking amazing.

Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Razortooth Gnome
The Artist Formerly Known As Anklebiter
posted 04-13-2010 02:19:24 AM
quote:
Greenlit had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
Nedroid is pretty much the only webcomic worth reading.

This, though sometimes Brawl in the Family has some funny bits.
Greenlit
posted 04-13-2010 02:39:14 AM
Oh shit, I forgot about BitF.

It's much like "Hark, a vagrant" for me; I forget about it for months at a time, then get the pleasure of a few dozen strips worth of catch-up.

Vallo, the Second Coming
Pancake
posted 04-13-2010 09:13:21 AM
quote:
`Doc had this to say about Knight Rider:

Goblins started off with simple D&D humor, then grew into a really strong ongoing story. Kind of like Order of the Stick with better artwork.

I just finished the entire several years of archives :-)

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special."
Willias
Pancake
posted 04-14-2010 10:54:12 AM
I am utterly shocked that MSPA hasn't been posted here yet.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 04-14-2010 04:23:33 PM
quote:
From the book of Lyinar Ka`Bael, chapter 3, verse 16:
Girl Genius and Ctrl-Alt-Del if you don't already read them

Lyinar likes a comic based on misogyny. Is anyone surprised?

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 04-14-2010 05:49:26 PM
I'm willing to hear you guys out if there's a legitimate complaint. I've never see anything in Ctrl-Alt-Del that's anti-women. One of his main characters is a woman who makes a living competing in game tournaments.

Are we thinking of the same comic?

Mr. Parcelan
posted 04-14-2010 06:50:39 PM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Lyinar Ka`Bael said:
I'm willing to hear you guys out if there's a legitimate complaint. I've never see anything in Ctrl-Alt-Del that's anti-women. One of his main characters is a woman who makes a living competing in game tournaments.

The main character is an insipid manchild whose spouse had a miscarriage. Because of the resulting trauma and his utter refusal to grow up, she left him for a dude who ran a charity. Eventually, she came back to him and she had to apologize for being emotionally fragile after a tragedy that was shoe-horned in as a way to garner cheap drama.

Maradon!
posted 04-14-2010 07:33:21 PM
Oh god, Axe Cop is incredible

"I don't have to watch out for fire. It just turns me into... AXE COP FIRE!"

Peter
Pancake
posted 04-14-2010 11:13:18 PM
quote:
Lyinar Ka`Bael had this to say about (_|_):

Dunno about that sort of stuff, I just think the writer is a massive douche and don't care to provide him ad revenue by visiting his site.

I have the same view of PVP.

Peter fucked around with this message on 04-14-2010 at 11:14 PM.

Skaw
posted 04-15-2010 01:25:49 AM
quote:
Verily, Mr. Parcelan doth proclaim:
The main character is an insipid manchild whose spouse had a miscarriage. Because of the resulting trauma and his utter refusal to grow up, she left him for a dude who ran a charity. Eventually, she came back to him and she had to apologize for being emotionally fragile after a tragedy that was shoe-horned in as a way to garner cheap drama.

Let's not forget the complete lack of aptitude he puts in to his "career."

This piece of shit:

is what he considers top grade contest entry material. This is what you fucking find on a high school students binder.

Also he thinks he has experience in the game industry because he made a few nude skins for Jedi Knight.

And if you want a legitimate complaint, Lyinar, do a search for Jackie. And him punching Brittany after being asked to take out the trash. And yeah, Lilah is totally objectified in every possible way where as Ethan(Mary Sue extraordinaire) can do no wrong.

IN SHORT, http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3234667

Skaw fucked around with this message on 04-15-2010 at 01:38 AM.

Steven Steve
posted 04-15-2010 11:31:11 PM
Lmao, Dominic Deegan
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Greenlit
posted 04-16-2010 12:08:43 AM
Locally I have always kept this as "dominic fucking deegan.jpg" but I somehow lost it. Thanks to the internet it is never hard to find.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 04-16-2010 12:51:20 AM
Dominic "Sometimes Rape is Justified" Deegan.
Callalron
Hires people with hooks
posted 04-16-2010 01:50:01 AM
She was TOTALLY asking for it, man. Couldn't you tell?
Callalron
"When mankind finally discovers the center of the universe, a lot of people are going to be upset that it isn't them."
"If you give a man a fish he'll eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish he'll just go out and buy an ugly hat. But if you talk to a starving man about fish, then you've become a consultant."--Dogbert
Arvek, 41 Bounty Hunter
Vrook Lamar server
Mr. Parcelan
posted 04-16-2010 04:33:24 AM
Lyinar "Sometimes a 16 year old just has it coming" Ka'bael.
Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 04-16-2010 09:22:49 AM
Less banter, more comic links

Ghost of Forums Past fucked around with this message on 04-16-2010 at 10:04 AM.

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 04-16-2010 01:14:39 PM
~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 04-16-2010 03:58:13 PM
Try Supernormal Step? The writing isn't the best and the plot is kind of wonky, but it's super stylish and the guy just keeps better at a pretty phenomenal pace (for a comic).

Action/adventure/fantasy/tight pants.

Razortooth Gnome
The Artist Formerly Known As Anklebiter
posted 04-16-2010 04:29:16 PM
animes

edit: my avatar too

Razortooth Gnome fucked around with this message on 04-16-2010 at 04:29 PM.

Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 04-16-2010 08:51:44 PM
quote:
Razortooth Gnome had this to say about Captain Planet:
animes

edit: my avatar too

Holy crap, I cant remember what anime that guy's from. I do remember it made me laugh a lot though.

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 04-16-2010 09:28:56 PM
Man Parce, and you say *I* crusade

Mr. Parcelan
posted 04-16-2010 10:48:18 PM
Don't ruin Diadem's thread, please.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 04-16-2010 10:51:30 PM
No, that's not right of me to say. This must end. Now.

Let's talk about webcomics again.

Have you tried The Meek? The first chapter is kind of sluggish and pointless, but I am sincere when I say that the second chapter's protagonist, Luca, is probably one of the most absorbing people I've ever read. It is truly fantastic, even for the short read that it is (and his site is currently down, so hey).

But I do not think you will be disappointed!

Dave
)_(
posted 04-17-2010 12:02:13 AM
quote:
Azakias had this to say about Cuba:
Holy crap, I cant remember what anime that guy's from. I do remember it made me laugh a lot though.

Space Butler Excel Saga

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 04-18-2010 10:20:28 AM
quote:
Greenlit put down Tada! magazine long enough to type:
Locally I have always kept this as "dominic fucking deegan.jpg" but I somehow lost it. Thanks to the internet it is never hard to find.

[xIMG]http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/3047/f7d371d3d642cd67d5cb313.gif[/IMG]

Haha, what the fuck? Is that like a real thing? Like it's not a joke?

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Nina
posted 04-18-2010 12:30:21 PM
quote:
Karnaj thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:
Haha, what the fuck? Is that like a real thing? Like it's not a joke?

As real as it gets.

Steven Steve
posted 04-18-2010 08:49:46 PM
Couldn't he have just pretended to rape her and not actually done it? Or am I reading this wrong?
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: