EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Stargate: Universe
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 10-27-2009 01:04:13 PM
After 5 episodes, my conclusion is as follows:

Boring.

Boring.

Boring.

Boring.

Boring.

Boring.

Boring.

Boring.

Boring.

Crappy BSG-style camera angles.

Depressing episodes where nothing happens.

40 minutes of whining about how they have no power.

Boring.

Boring.

and of course...

Boring.

Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 10-27-2009 01:09:57 PM
It's pretty slow paced, but not completely unwatchable. I do admit that if it didn't have the franchise as part of the name I would have given up by now.

The other Stargate shows pretty much followed the Twilight Zone/Quantum Leap/Sliders formula with a "USAF is best" bias.

The new show isn't campy. It's a drama in space and is already getting rather formulaic.

My biggest gripe is that every show is based on some tech failing that magically fixes itself at the last minute right before everyone dies.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 10-27-2009 01:24:27 PM
Let's not forget the cringe-worthy sex scenes that are there for no other reason than to have sex scenes. They add nothing to the plot, most of them make no storyline sense whatsoever, it's just like.. oh hay we'd better fix th-SEX SCENE-is system or we'll all die.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 10-27-2009 02:04:37 PM
Also waiting for them to explain how a ship that pre-dates the modern Ancient tech (Atlantis etc) has far more powerful shields, hyperdrive, well.. pretty much more powerful everything than the modern counterparts.
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 10-27-2009 02:32:28 PM
I like the music so far.

And I hope something will happen. Anything, really.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 10-27-2009 02:32:40 PM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Mortious wrote:
Also waiting for them to explain how a ship that pre-dates the modern Ancient tech (Atlantis etc) has far more powerful shields, hyperdrive, well.. pretty much more powerful everything than the modern counterparts.

The ship will be as weak or powerful as the script of the moment requires it to be.

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 10-27-2009 03:05:46 PM
Just going to address some of the qualms above. My conclusions may or may not be an improvement over the stated complaints.

The ship is nuclear fusion and/or solar powered. From the moment they rounded the planet pointed at the star, this was obvious. It also means that the cliffhanger and most of the following episode was stupid for anyone who gave it enough thought to put the pieces together.

The ship has been out there unmanned for longer than humans have had civilization. Probably a lot longer, since SG1 placed ancients as predating even the other space-faring races. So the Destiny's hyperdrive probably doesn't beat out the ones on the SGC battleships (which are Asgard design, and may not be up to the Ancients' best specs either). Odds are the Daedalus (or was that destroyed?) could catch up eventually, but the Destiny has an absolutely enormous head start.

That being said, the ship's AI had to be good enough to keep flying, unmanned, for eons. Another added power drain wouldn't be any harder to handle than things it had handled before. Mostly a matter of bad timing; it was already due for a recharge.

It also leaves me wondering why only four stargates would be in range. Why would a whole galaxy have only four stargates? Didn't they say other ships went ahead of the Destiny dropping off stargates? Why aren't there more? Remember we've only had one episode where they actually dialed out. Is it possible that the stargates in this part of the universe don't have the same galaxy-wide range as the ones we're used to seeing? Could it be an addressing problem? They decided not to put symbols on the ship's gate, so maybe that's it. "Sorry, we can't dial areacodes. Country codes are right out. This is an old rotary-style god-wheel that makes local calls only."

But the real question is why everyone (except possibly Dr. Rush... dun dun dunnnnn) panicked. Perhaps even the people who weren't the wrong people were the wrong people. Wait, what? It seems that the entire "crew" (aka fleshy dead weight) suffers from a lack of complex logic skills.

The slow pacing is supposed to improve once they establish all the ground rules and character personalities in the first half-dozen episodes. Of course, once that happens, we're probably looking at a lot of formulaic sci-fi. That complaint has been addressed elsewhere. (Pardon my repetition if this was posted recently.)

Supposedly the camera angles and mediocre lighting are supposed to give the ship (and the show) a "gritty" feel. I'm not sure if that's a good thing, but at least some of the reviewers have liked it. I didn't really pay it much attention.

Not sure what to say about the sex scenes. Based on recent activity (such as the name change to "SyFy"), the network is trying to draw a wider audience... but I just don't see it happening.

The shield issue could be read a few ways. The particular example we've seen (better heat & radiation tolerance) may just be a matter of power management. Every ship I've ever seen in SciFi shows had to divert power to the shields. On the Destiny, the shields had to be designed to make exactly this maneuver on a regular basis. It probably channels the star's own power back against it... which would make the shields better against continuous threats but weaker against burst attacks. I'm not sure why every ship in every fleet of every space-travel-is-normal series doesn't have this same option. Every one of them has had to jerry-rig it at least once.

We also don't know if the Destiny (a pretty damn massive ship) has any weapons. Though it probably does. And the AI refuses to use them on principle.

`Doc fucked around with this message on 10-27-2009 at 03:20 PM.

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 10-27-2009 03:21:26 PM
Red Dwarf was a similar ship and didn't have these pacing issues...
Blindy
Roll for initiative, Monkey Boy!
posted 10-27-2009 03:32:59 PM
I for one enjoy shows where they invent a framework of rules for themselves then go about completely ignoring them in subsequent episodes.
On a plane ride, the more it shakes,
The more I have to let go.
Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 10-27-2009 04:36:25 PM
I am in complete agreement with Mort. How often does that happen?
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 10-27-2009 04:43:03 PM
No Zed PM?
No Zed PM!
No Zed PM?
No Zed PM!
No Zed PM?
No Zed PM!
So what are we running on, gas?!
Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: