EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
Mr. Parcelan
posted 08-15-2009 03:28:44 AM
Explain why this book is good.
Captain Tarquinn
Don't Ask
posted 08-15-2009 03:32:39 AM
Is it about farting?
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
Dr. Gee
Say it Loud, Say it Plowed!
posted 08-15-2009 03:33:02 AM
It's been a while since I read it, but I remember enjoying it.

I don't think it was anywhere near my "OMG BEST EVAR!" list, but it wasn't actively bad despite wanting to choke out the main character sometimes (okay often).

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 08-15-2009 07:46:45 AM
It's good because there are several layers of narration, giving it a complexity rare for the genre, and not achieved by the mere fact of breaking the story into a bunch of separate narratives through the lame expedient of splitting up the main characters.

The character telling his own story, so one has to read between the lines, as it were, rather than just accepting everything at face value as one would had the author chosen an omniscient style. The omniscient narrator exists, but only in the interludes, leaving most of the storytelling to the main character. That adds depth, giving the reader a puzzle beyond the plot, which is fairly straightforward fantasy.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Number 1 Poster
posted 08-15-2009 07:46:46 AM
Books are boring
Liam
Swims in Erotic Circles
posted 08-15-2009 10:41:38 AM
quote:
You're a fag got a whole lot of nerve:
Books are boring

you are dumb

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 08-15-2009 03:43:22 PM
Patrick Rothfuss is a pretty cool guy, that's why it is good. I saw him at the comic book store the other day when my roommate and I were there playing some MTG.
Number 1 Poster
posted 08-15-2009 03:46:25 PM
quote:
Liam spewed forth this undeniable truth:
you are dumb

u wana fight nerd?

Nina
posted 08-15-2009 06:14:50 PM
If it's anything like Da Vinci Code, it's "good" because people have no fucking taste.
Dr. Gee
Say it Loud, Say it Plowed!
posted 08-15-2009 10:02:51 PM
quote:
A sleep deprived Nina stammered:
If it's anything like Da Vinci Code, it's "good" because people have no fucking taste.

In that they are absolutely hugely different books and have nothing really in common based on the other stuff from Dan Brown I've read, yes you're completely correct.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 08-16-2009 12:36:36 AM
quote:
Nina got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:

No, it's nothing like that at all, I can assure you.

I'm not saying it's a bad book, by any means: the prose is excellent, the plot is okay and some of the characters are pretty nice. I'm just wondering why it's frequently being hailed as Jesus coming down and picking up a sword and stabbing Hitler's zombie to death and the sweet blood that comes out are the pages to these books.

I've heard the "unreliable narrator" bit. That can be interesting...if there's anything to compare it to. Since the Chronicler or Bast rarely comment on the story, and we never have a hint as to what the effects are if the narrator is actually lying, I can't say as I see a whole lot to read between the lines in.

Nina
posted 08-16-2009 12:49:34 AM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
I'm just wondering why it's frequently being hailed as Jesus coming down and picking up a sword and stabbing Hitler's zombie to death and the sweet blood that comes out are the pages to these books.

I have absolutely no idea what Name of the Wind is about. I only made the parallel because I've started reading Da Vinci Code lately and I've been feeling the exact same thing you seem to be hinting at: "Why the fuck is this book supposed to be good?"

Yeah, I'm just bitter at being tricked into reading a shitty book, especially following The Kite Runner.

Greenlit
posted 08-16-2009 01:46:11 AM
quote:
Nina had this to say about Punky Brewster:
"Why the fuck is this book supposed to be good?"

dan brown makes stupid people feel clever

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: