EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Mixed Media Excitement and Appreciation Thread
Mr. Parcelan
posted 08-07-2009 07:12:57 PM
This is a thread used for all things media. If you feel so inclined, please tell us stuff like:

-What you are reading
-What you are playing
-What you are watching
-What you are listening to

And what you may be excited for.

I am reading a book called Dead Man's Boots by Mike Carey. It's a story about an exorcist in London who is trying to solve a mystery of serial killers coming back from the dead and possessing people with the aid of an intelligent egomaniacal zombie and a lesbian succubus.

This is actually a really cool take on the urban fantasy genre, which has thus far been used as a codeword for "hey, a hot chick gets felt up by a vampire and/or demon and/or werewolf in this book." It has some really cool ideas on ghosts, zombies, demons, werewolves and poltergeists.

My sole critique is that the main character is a little bland. Not surprising, since most urban fantasy tends to be rather typical in its portrayal of characters (either hardboiled male detective or feisty, asskicking grrl detective) and this one doesn't really come back from that. It's definitely worth picking up if you like urban fantasy, but don't like covers depicting girls with back tattoos, or if you feel your mystery thrillers don't have enough evil demons made out of cats.

I am looking forward to playing Batman: Arkham Asylum. It's the first game I've seen to try something innovative with the idea of "predator" gameplay and I'm looking forward to see how that pans out. I watched the first ten minutes of play and my thoughts were that it resembled Bioshock, except with less flashing lights and Killer Croc was in it. Reports say the demo looks solid, so I think I will be picking this up soon.

Mr. Parcelan fucked around with this message on 08-07-2009 at 07:13 PM.

Number 1 Poster
posted 08-07-2009 07:30:49 PM
I don't read books

I'm playing Heroes of Newerth - a DotA clone with a better netcode

Colbert Report and The Wire

Final Fantasy 6 Ending Theme, the 21 minute version.

Dr. Gee
Say it Loud, Say it Plowed!
posted 08-07-2009 07:37:41 PM
What I'm Reading: The Books of the South by Glen Cook. I've been enjoying the further adventures of The Black Company quite a bit although I've tapered off since I stated playing City of Heroes again.

What I'm Playing: City of Heroes and Dawn of War 2. I got my first 50 (Sen. McCarthy, Thug/Poison MM) during the recent 2x XP weekend and playing with Goons makes the game pretty great.

What I'm Watching: I have Season 4.5 of Battlestar Galactica sitting still shrink-wrapped on my coffee table waiting for my girlfriend (MY GIRLFRIEND) to finish Seasons 3 and 4.0. It's kind of driving me crazy having it sitting there, but not watching it.

What I'm Listening to: Same shit, different day.

Norim Stumpfighter
Milkmaid
posted 08-07-2009 11:01:56 PM
What I'm reading: After many years of EC'ers telling me to read them, I have picked up the Song of Ice and Fire books, in audio format for my commute. Good god are they awesome. But you already knew that.

that's about it, not playing anything. Nor do I really listen to alot of music. I try and golf as much as I can. But I would never slander a real golfer by saying I was one. It's ugly, really ugly!

Nina
posted 08-08-2009 12:03:39 AM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan Model 2000 was programmed to say:

-What you are reading
The Kite Runner. I'm sure everyone's read it by now but if you haven't, do so.

-What you are playing
Final Fantasy XI. I just became a Summoner and now I'm gearing up to get my Avatar fights. :3

-What you are watching
Desperate Housewives.

Nothing particularly new.

Sentow, I Guess
Pancake
posted 08-08-2009 03:05:31 AM
Not reading anything at the moment. The last thing I read was, uh... a trade of Star Wars: Legacy. That English degree sure isn't going to waste, I tell you what.

Just buttoned up the Dawn of War II single-player campaign. Two word review: It owns. Hell, I kind of want to buy some SPESS MAHREEN minis and paint 'em as Blood Ravens. Plus, it made a nice benchmark for this new computer. Just gotta beef up the memory and I think I'll be good for StarCraft II.

There's tons of games coming out that I'm excited for, but in the short term I'm looking forward to Brutal Legend, if it'll ever come out, Wet, and Halo 3: ODST (yeah, yeah, I know Halo isn't very popular around here; if it makes you feel any better, I don't suffer any delusions about it being THEH BREST GAME EVAR!!1). There's plenty more, but jeez, I could make a whole post just rattling off the titles of anticipated games.

I hardly ever watch TV or go to the movies, but I might see the new G.I. Joe flick. I hear it's actually pretty good, in a stupid action movie sort of way (not that I was expecting Citizen Kane or whatever, but still). District 9 and just plain 'ole 9 both look awesome; can't wait.

Been listening to chiptunes a lot lately, though while writing this I was listening to Holst's The Planets ("Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age" specifically).

KIERKEGAARD

Sigpic shamelessly stolen from Kate Beaton.

Greenlit
posted 08-08-2009 04:14:10 AM
I'm trying to read Children of Dune but it's just not as interesting as Dune or Dune Messiah.
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 08-08-2009 09:42:58 AM
-What you are reading
The Robots of Dawn by Isaac Asimov

-What you are playing
Rock Band 2, baby. Starting to FC songs on Expert, which is way better than I'd ever thought I'd do.

-What you are watching
I really like that show Wipeout. It's like MXC, but with white people failing instead of Asiatics.

Goatwhore, Metallica, Static-x, and the like. Hoping OTEP's new album is good.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Callalron
Hires people with hooks
posted 08-08-2009 06:42:45 PM
Reading: "Russia at War" by Alexander Werth.

Playing: Sims 3 and GTA:IV. It's my personal dichotomy, deal with it.

Watching: I've recently gotten hooked by the HBO series "True Blood".

Listening: Same stuff as usual. Rock reached musical perfection in 1977, it's a known fact.

I'm kinda jazzed by the though of getting the Ghostbusters video game.

Callalron
"When mankind finally discovers the center of the universe, a lot of people are going to be upset that it isn't them."
"If you give a man a fish he'll eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish he'll just go out and buy an ugly hat. But if you talk to a starving man about fish, then you've become a consultant."--Dogbert
Arvek, 41 Bounty Hunter
Vrook Lamar server
Nina
posted 08-09-2009 02:19:30 AM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Callalron wrote:
I'm kinda jazzed by the though of getting the Ghostbusters video game.

Do it. You'll be supporting an awesome ECer.

Captain Tarquinn
Don't Ask
posted 08-09-2009 04:31:41 AM
-What you are reading
Just finished My Tank is Fight, by Zack Parsons. Enjoyable, but short read that would have profited from a native German proofreader.

-What you are playing
Advance Wars: Dual Strike on my new DSi, and Divinty 2:Ego Draconis, an excellent RPG for the PC.

-What you are watching
Just started the latest season of Lost. Holy shit, time travel.

I've uploaded all Metallica Albums to my iPod. So that's what I am listening to.

What are you excited for
My birthday in September. It's going to be a huge BBQ.

Captain Tarquinn fucked around with this message on 08-09-2009 at 04:33 AM.

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
Captain Tarquinn
Don't Ask
posted 08-09-2009 01:07:10 PM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan was naked while typing this:
I am looking forward to playing Batman: Arkham Asylum. It's the first game I've seen to try something innovative with the idea of "predator" gameplay and I'm looking forward to see how that pans out. I watched the first ten minutes of play and my thoughts were that it resembled Bioshock, except with less flashing lights and Killer Croc was in it. Reports say the demo looks solid, so I think I will be picking this up soon.

Here's the demo.

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
Trent
Smurfberry Moneyshot
posted 08-12-2009 03:00:40 AM
Reading: Fight Club, Fablehaven Book2, Ink and Steel, Good Omens,and Relentless.

Playing: Second Life, Sims 3 for a bit, but back to Sims 2, Fallout & Expansions & Mods.

Watching: Hells Kitchen, How I Met Your Mother, Big Bang Theory, Pretty much the entire Adult Swim weeknight lineup.

Listening: 70's, Hillbilly Rock, GreenDay, NIN, Bowie, Stones, some dance, some trance, some EBM, some goth... nothing cutting edge or unheard of or left unmocked.

Xian
Pancake
posted 08-14-2009 02:12:54 AM
-What you are reading

I've not read any book in ages, the internet has spoiled me with its instant gratification. The last thing I started trying to read was Elminster in Hell.

-What you are playing

I'm currently in the midst of trying something worthy to play. I got bored of WoW, tried CoH and got bored of that, about to try some Guild Wars or DDO. Looking forward to playing Champions.

-What you are watching

Supernatural. It seems cheesy but my cousin said it gets better later on.

Rise Against

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: