EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Watchmen
Anakha's PS3
Pancake
posted 03-06-2009 07:06:26 PM
I got to go to a midnight showing last night, and i thought it was a pretty well done comic adaption. Was wondering what EC's opinions on it are.
Number 1 Poster
posted 03-06-2009 07:29:18 PM
I'm waiting for the torrent
Zair
The Imp
posted 03-06-2009 10:25:47 PM
Just finished the book last week.

It was really good, and after reading Roger Ebert's review, I can't wait to see the movie.

Greenlit
posted 03-07-2009 02:14:28 AM
It had some serious problems, but also got a lot of things right.

I fear it will do horribly because of length and subject matter.

Steven Steve
posted 03-07-2009 09:23:50 AM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Zair:
Just finished the book last week.

It was really good, and after reading Roger Ebert's review, I can't wait to see the movie.

But Ebert is a moron

"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Steven Steve
posted 03-07-2009 09:25:37 AM
"you remind me of..well..

i see features of you in super heros..or features of super heros in you .. and villains.
i just got done seeing watchman for the first time.

i wish i could..explain the specific way i see my thoughts.
just the way dr.manhattan does.

"do what you do." - silk specter

truly though."

- drunken post on my Facebook wall

"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."

Steven Steve
posted 03-07-2009 09:29:01 AM

My work here is done

Zair
The Imp
posted 03-07-2009 10:38:12 AM
quote:
Steven Steve thought about the meaning of life:
But Ebert is a moron

Counterpoint: Roger Ebert is awesome. So was Siskel.

Check out that chemistry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmnYCSwt2Js

Steven Steve
posted 03-07-2009 11:43:44 AM
Eggbert looks like an old lesbian and is stuck in the last century, persistently having wrong opinions about everything. Siskel would have liked 300 if God hadn't spared us from him also, so he is also a fool.

Zair
The Imp
posted 03-07-2009 12:35:52 PM
quote:
Steven Steve wrote this stupid crap:
Eggbert looks like an old lesbian and is stuck in the last century, persistently having wrong opinions about everything. Siskel would have liked 300 if God hadn't spared us from him also, so he is also a fool.

Roger Ebert didn't like 300. Also, he dated Oprah.
Also, he does look like an old lesbian.

Zair
The Imp
posted 03-07-2009 01:18:34 PM
Also, it's on IMAX I guess. Anyone see it that way?
Naimah
In a Fire
posted 03-07-2009 05:27:32 PM
Looking at it as just a movie, I have to agree that it was absurdly violent and some parts were sketchy, ham handed, or what have you. As looking at it as a comic book adaption, it was amazingly faithful to the source material and deserves credit for that.
Steven Steve
posted 03-07-2009 05:43:58 PM
The comic wasn't even that violent. Who died? Comedian, the one villain guy, some Viet Cong, the million people at the end, the various prisoners (probably like 4 or 5), a police officer maybe, Nite Owl I, two dogs, the guy who the dogs belonged to, the three Vietnamese servants, uh. Rorschach got punched in the face like three times, Comedian got punched in the face twice and stabbed with a broken bottle, a few goons were beaten, and various people were killed in the Tale of the Black Freighter. I'm afraid that's nowhere near as violent as 300 or various old action movies, even ones such as Equilibrium. Unless Zack Snyder did the 300 God of War CG jello blood again I don't think that's very much violence considering the scenario.

Bricktop
Old and Gay
posted 03-07-2009 10:26:23 PM
I think the best part was all the parents leaving with their pre-teen children about the time the big blue cock became a major character.
A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent.
Greenlit
posted 03-08-2009 12:51:10 AM
Following in the footsteps of Ledger I hope it gets a best supporting actor nod at the 2010 Oscars.
Y.O.T.C
No longer a Towel Girl
posted 03-08-2009 06:30:36 PM
obligatory blue butt reference. except it comes with man penis
Willias
Pancake
posted 03-08-2009 07:37:42 PM
what other kind of penis could it come with?
nem-x
posted 03-08-2009 07:38:41 PM
dick girl with balls and vagina
Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 03-10-2009 04:02:17 PM
Xian
Pancake
posted 03-12-2009 04:56:00 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDDHHrt6l4w&

Priceless.

Skaw
posted 03-14-2009 05:43:37 AM
quote:
Sakkra had this to say about Matthew Broderick:

Awesome.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 03-14-2009 06:11:47 AM
In all honesty? It was.. ok.

It dragged. Really dragged. On and on and on. By the end I felt most of the "slowed down matrix-esque" scenes (of which consisted 95% of the film) were there purely to make it drag.

Enjoyable waste of 2+ hours, but pretty forgettable.

Steven Steve
posted 03-14-2009 10:06:01 AM
I saw the scene where Silk Spectre and Nite Owl broke into the prison and did their choreographed dance routine on the inmates or guards or whatever (I don't remember which). All I remember is it was highly embarrassing and stupidly "badass" which is obviously the opposite of the point of those characters.

Bricktop
Old and Gay
posted 03-14-2009 07:00:46 PM
It's just one of those "meh" movies. I went and saw it with some girl and it was 30 bucks well spent. I enjoyed it. It's not going to get any Oscar buzz like the Dark Knight did and will be largely forgotten outside of Watchmen fanbois by this time next year, but it wasn't a "bad" movie.

I expect it'll be one of those movies that does okay in the theaters, but makes $$$ on DVDs and rentals as people still want to see it but wait after the initial reviews.

Callalron
Hires people with hooks
posted 03-14-2009 07:43:07 PM
quote:
Bricktop had this to say about Optimus Prime:
I went and saw it with some girl and it was 30 bucks well spent.

Does that mean movie theater head? Or did you go with the classic "hole in the bottom of the popcorn bucket"?

Callalron
"When mankind finally discovers the center of the universe, a lot of people are going to be upset that it isn't them."
"If you give a man a fish he'll eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish he'll just go out and buy an ugly hat. But if you talk to a starving man about fish, then you've become a consultant."--Dogbert
Arvek, 41 Bounty Hunter
Vrook Lamar server
Bricktop
Old and Gay
posted 03-14-2009 08:28:16 PM
quote:
Callalron enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:
Does that mean movie theater head? Or did you go with the classic "hole in the bottom of the popcorn bucket"?

Last time I got movie theater head was during Body of Lies. She got bored about halfway through and there was only like four other people in the theater and we were in the back.

Captain Tarquinn
Don't Ask
posted 03-17-2009 04:47:11 PM
I enjoyed that movie.

Captured the graphic novel quite good.

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
Steven Steve
posted 03-17-2009 07:22:13 PM
Except Captain Metropolis wasn't even in it, Manhattan had the voice of a pussy, there was a 10 minute long Leonidas sex scene, they replaced the squid with some Manhattan frame up that makes no sense, it was filled with Matrix fights with 300 jello blood, Hollis Mason didn't die, Veidt's Antarctica complex was asininely shaped like some Egyptian temple, the Vietnamese servants weren't in it, Denny from Supernatural was a pussy, basically everyone that was supposed to be buff was a big old pussy and everyone that was supposed to be pathetic was an anime ninja, Doctor Manhattan had some magical mind meld ability, there was some veneer of researching clean energy to save the world even though that shouldn't at all make sense even to Manhattan, I could probably count on one hand the number of shots actually taken from the comic, Manhattan's penis became magically circumcised, Jon Osterman suddenly had black hair, people were punching holes in walls and getting thrown through columns, Ozymandias didn't attack Silk Spectre first, etc. etc. but yes, it was an amazing and extremely faithful adaptation

Steven Steve fucked around with this message on 03-17-2009 at 07:22 PM.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 03-17-2009 07:31:15 PM
Actually.. looking back on it..

It was absolutely shit and awkward except for Rorschach's parts.

Just make a movie showing Rorschach doing insane crap and I'd go see that instead.

Captain Tarquinn
Don't Ask
posted 03-18-2009 01:47:29 PM
quote:
Steven Steve had this to say about (_|_):
Except Captain Metropolis wasn't even in it, Manhattan had the voice of a pussy, there was a 10 minute long Leonidas sex scene, they replaced the squid with some Manhattan frame up that makes no sense, it was filled with Matrix fights with 300 jello blood, Hollis Mason didn't die, Veidt's Antarctica complex was asininely shaped like some Egyptian temple, the Vietnamese servants weren't in it, Denny from Supernatural was a pussy, basically everyone that was supposed to be buff was a big old pussy and everyone that was supposed to be pathetic was an anime ninja, Doctor Manhattan had some magical mind meld ability, there was some veneer of researching clean energy to save the world even though that shouldn't at all make sense even to Manhattan, I could probably count on one hand the number of shots actually taken from the comic, Manhattan's penis became magically circumcised, Jon Osterman suddenly had black hair, people were punching holes in walls and getting thrown through columns, Ozymandias didn't attack Silk Spectre first, etc. etc. but yes, it was an amazing and extremely faithful adaptation

U mad?
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 03-18-2009 06:02:14 PM
I read watchmen again before watching the movie, and then again after watching the movie, and I've made peace with the movie ending. The results are a little different, but the benefit of making Dr. Manhattan the scape goat has the additional effect of setting the table so that no power in the world would want to work with him again and removes the potential of him unbalancing world power yet again.
Steven Steve
posted 03-18-2009 08:01:44 PM
What about when America figures out that it was Ozymandias that staged it and that there's no reason to cease ideological squabbles since Manhattan is going to be gone anyway?

Also it's not as though either side will disarm now that their collective enemy is Manhattan

Steven Steve fucked around with this message on 03-18-2009 at 08:02 PM.

Zair
The Imp
posted 03-18-2009 09:58:44 PM
quote:
Steven Steve had this to say about the Spice Girls:
What about when America figures out that it was Ozymandias that staged it and that there's no reason to cease ideological squabbles since Manhattan is going to be gone anyway?

Also it's not as though either side will disarm now that their collective enemy is Manhattan

Couldn't all that be said about the alien though?

Steven Steve
posted 03-18-2009 11:37:30 PM
Yeah, but that was the point

Blindy
Roll for initiative, Monkey Boy!
posted 03-19-2009 09:29:39 AM
quote:
Get the soap! Steven Steve just said:

So, your argument is that you think they will keep building nuclear weapons so they can defend themselves against Dr. Manhattan, the guy who can be ripped apart on the sub-atomic level will re-assemble himself within minutes?

Both endings have the potential flaw of Ozy's actions being discovered, so that cancels out.

The original ending is that the world dropped their Communism and Capitalism and got all sunshine and roses because they now had a common (fake) enemy. What happens when that enemy never attacks again? How long can the world stay together united against a common threat that never even shows itself?

The movie ending is that the world stopped considering war an option because Dr. Manhattan will come down and smite the living shit out of everyone if we even think about it. More than just New York was destroyed in the attack, making Dr. Manhattan a threat to every nation, and there is absolutely no defending yourself against him. He is a force that is indestructible. You can't defeat him or out maneuver him. Your only option is to appease him. All it takes is to spin the attack as Dr. Manhattan demonstrating his power in order to prevent more lives from being destroyed, and I think Veidt has the resources to do it. Think about the effect the Hiroshima bomb had on Japan. This is the exact same thing, but on the entire world, and it's a threat that can not be duplicated by another power in order to negate it's pacifying effects.

Blindy fucked around with this message on 03-19-2009 at 09:35 AM.

On a plane ride, the more it shakes,
The more I have to let go.
Steven Steve
posted 03-19-2009 09:59:45 AM
So basically it's different from the graphic novel?

Blindy
Roll for initiative, Monkey Boy!
posted 03-19-2009 10:59:02 AM
Different, yes. Worse? That's questionable, which is all I'm saying.
On a plane ride, the more it shakes,
The more I have to let go.
Steven Steve
posted 03-19-2009 11:05:03 AM
o

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: