EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Holy Paladins.
Bricktop
Old and Gay
posted 02-04-2009 12:00:54 AM
Anyone here have any experience with Holy Paladins since WotLK came out? How reliant are they on Beacon of Light in a typical five man setting? I know on raids it's required for raid healing, but in five mans?
A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent.
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 02-04-2009 12:06:04 AM
It's nice to have any time, but I'm sure they could get away with not using Beacon in 5 mans. Holy paladins are widely considered to be the best healers in the game right now.

Kegwen fucked around with this message on 02-04-2009 at 12:07 AM.

Willias
Pancake
posted 02-04-2009 12:18:51 AM
quote:
Kegwen wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
It's nice to have any time, but I'm sure they could get away with not using Beacon in 5 mans. Holy paladins are widely considered to be the best healers in the game right now.

In PvP, yeah.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 02-04-2009 12:37:59 AM
In PvE, too.
Nina
posted 02-04-2009 01:32:29 AM
quote:
Verily, Kegwen doth proclaim:

This article or section contains weasel words, vague phrasing that often accompanies biased or unverifiable information. Such statements should be clarified or removed.

Ferret
Poing! Poing!
posted 02-04-2009 02:02:56 AM
Depends on the tank. If they've hit the defense cap you can probably squeek by without using it, but having it up solves alot of worries, especially on AoE heavy fights. Heroics you'll pretty much die if you don't use it. Plus it isn't really that expensive manawise, plus if you're running out of mana as a paladin something's wrong.
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 02-04-2009 02:09:10 AM
BUT I THOUGHT PRIESTS WERE THE BEST I WAS MISLED

Even if you disagree with them being the best, they are in no way underpowered. They're fantastic tank healers. Spot healing isn't necessarily their strength, but beacon at least allows it to not be a complete waste.

Kegwen fucked around with this message on 02-04-2009 at 02:17 AM.

Peter
Pancake
posted 02-04-2009 04:55:30 AM
quote:
We were all impressed when Bricktop wrote:
Anyone here have any experience with Holy Paladins since WotLK came out? How reliant are they on Beacon of Light in a typical five man setting? I know on raids it's required for raid healing, but in five mans?

Running heroics, holy paly's seem to have no issue holding me up, but sometimes a dps would drop, and I tend to use my o shit buttons as o shit buttons. I have heard them bitch a bit if we have a few rets useing SoM, though it seems minor thing to me. Beacon seems to be a must for the bosses though.

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 02-04-2009 06:53:52 AM
Holy Paladins can't heal my dk worth shit.
Bricktop
Old and Gay
posted 02-04-2009 10:42:37 AM
Basically, I'm picking up my old level 70 Paladin to play with a friend's Prot Warrior and was debating forgoing the one point in Beacon of Light for one point in Blessing of Sanctuary, seeing as it is the best tank buff in the history of mankind. The only issue I'm running into is I hate wasted talent points and there's a lot of Prot filler I'd have to pick up to go down that far.(Obviously, once we hit 80 and started raiding if I was still Holy I'd go for a more traditional spec)

But on the other hand, I'm kind of stretching for talents to put into Holy too. It seems like the Holy tree has very little synergy and towards the latter half it seems like a lot of wasted talent points just to get to the next tier. After Divine Illumination nothing really seems even worth wasting points on, except for Beacon of Light. Judgement of the Pure seems pretty cool on the surface, but honestly after a while I'm sure I'll stop bothering tossing out a Judgement once a minute to keep it up.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 02-04-2009 10:47:45 AM
Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 02-04-2009 11:19:09 AM
quote:
At least Bricktop isn't Somthor:
Basically, I'm picking up my old level 70 Paladin to play with a friend's Prot Warrior and was debating forgoing the one point in Beacon of Light for one point in Blessing of Sanctuary, seeing as it is the best tank buff in the history of mankind. The only issue I'm running into is I hate wasted talent points and there's a lot of Prot filler I'd have to pick up to go down that far.(Obviously, once we hit 80 and started raiding if I was still Holy I'd go for a more traditional spec)

But on the other hand, I'm kind of stretching for talents to put into Holy too. It seems like the Holy tree has very little synergy and towards the latter half it seems like a lot of wasted talent points just to get to the next tier. After Divine Illumination nothing really seems even worth wasting points on, except for Beacon of Light. Judgement of the Pure seems pretty cool on the surface, but honestly after a while I'm sure I'll stop bothering tossing out a Judgement once a minute to keep it up.

Beacon of Light is amazing, but so is Blessing of Sanctuary. However, for leveling, and even for leveling in dungeons, he's not exactly going to be rage starved if he does the cool thing and AOE's down 5-10 mobs at a time while you heal him.

But I can see where you're coming from. Nothing makes me happier than having Sanctuary up while I tank.

Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 02-04-2009 11:55:49 AM
Pallies' roles in raids seem to have split up since the BC days of everyone being holy. We tend to run with one or two holies, and a ret. We could probably go with a prot, but between DK's and our other tanks we're fine without one.

I'm having a good season so far 2v2ing with a hunter. Disc priests are doing pretty well in terms of survivability. (600+ Resil doesn't hurt either)

Rodent King fucked around with this message on 02-04-2009 at 12:03 PM.

My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
Bricktop
Old and Gay
posted 02-04-2009 01:20:28 PM
quote:
Blindy.'s fortune cookie read:
But I can see where you're coming from. Nothing makes me happier than having Sanctuary up while I tank.

I think that's what it boils down to. My main is a level 80 Prot Warrior and I get giddy when I have a Prot Paladin off tanking on my raids and having Blessing of Sanctuary up.

I'm leaning towards going 51/20/0 at 80 while gearing up to do raids and shit, because the extra crit from going 20 into Ret like most Holy Paladins is nice, but I think I like the extra healing from Imp Devotion Aura and the group wide oh shit button from Divine Guardian in a five man setting.

I'm sure all this pondering I'm doing is meaningless, though, because I'm so indecisive that by the time I make up my mind we'll be 80 and geared and I'll be going to a cookie cutter Holy spec.

Maradon!
posted 02-15-2009 12:12:15 PM
There's really no reason to play anything but a DK or paladin.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: