EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: What's new?
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 01-30-2009 01:46:51 PM
Srsly. What's new with you?

Me? Oh, not too much. We're settled in our new house, and I think I'm liking this homeownership thing. No braying cunts of neighbors to keep you awake; just the toot of the occasional freight train rolling by to lull you peacefully to sleep. The winter has been awful though; repeated snow and ice storms mean I get to shovel myself up a heart attack about once a week. But, we only have about another month of proper winter around these parts, so my days of salting, sanding, shoveling, and chipping are almost through.

Video games? I still dabble in Spore from time to time, but I mainly just play Rock Band 2 whenever I can spare the time. I'm slowly making the transition to Expert! I am looking forward, of course, to Empire: Total War, which is due out in March. Might have to overhaul my system for that one, though. We'll see.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Number 1 Poster
posted 01-30-2009 02:05:25 PM
I'm up to 2 hours of running with a 10 minute walk-break in between each hour. I am starting to look for a place to own, but not in Mississauga. I've put my request for transfer to London Ontario. I doubt anything will come up for a bit but housing there is half the price there then it is here (the suburbs of Toronto really). So right now I'm starting to save up a down payment so when my lease for this place I'm renting comes up in June, I can hopefully ship my butt to London in a new place.

Also I switched from a credit card that gave me 0.75% cash return to one that gives 1% cash return. I pay it off every month so I don't give a shit about interest rate.

For games it's just MTGO and DotA. Though I may not play MTGO anymore since it costs so much god damn money. Seriously all of last year I spent about $17/month for entertainment. This month I've spent over $130-$150 on this damn game. You should see nem's cost...

Greenlit
posted 01-30-2009 02:07:36 PM
Still working, still drinking.

I think they're related somehow.

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 01-30-2009 02:15:45 PM
Wife's still working for MTV. She picked up Nick Lachey and his girlfriend model whatever her name is at the airport the other day. Said they were nice people.

I'm going crazy being the only programmer on an international multi-company laboratory system. Owning a house is good. Being married is pretty nice.

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 01-30-2009 02:20:24 PM
Still trying to get into Radiology school. This semester is what makes it or breaks it for me. There's 34 slots every year. If I don't make it this year, it's another year before I can apply.
I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piƱa coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Vernaltemptress
Withered and Alone
posted 01-30-2009 03:05:15 PM
I started taking classes towards a graduate degree in Counseling Psychology last March. So far, all the classes have been very challenging but rewarding.
Obamanomics: spend, tax, and borrow.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 01-30-2009 03:32:55 PM
I never change.

I am eternal. Or lazy. Eternally lazy?

Number 1 Poster
posted 01-30-2009 04:13:19 PM
Also for the first time ever I couldn't finish a large pizza. I was too full and had two slices left. Something is wrong with me. I feel weak now.
Nina
posted 01-30-2009 05:00:26 PM
I worked an 8 month co-op term at a game company in Vancouver, and I'm back to classes now. It's boring, but it may lead to another co-op term this summer at Eidos working on Deus Ex 3, or Ubisoft. All that co-op experience really ought to pay off once I graduate.

There's plans in the making for our parents to put forward a sizeable cash down on purchasing a triplex, and then having me, my brother and my sister pay back the mortgage through regular rent. The idea is that mortgage is real low right now, property will only gain value from here over time and owning would give us better prospects than renting. It's a pretty rad idea, unfortunately I can't contribute yet as all my savings are going towards transition. (That's going pretty well too, by the way, but no one cares so I'll spare you the details.)

I don't play much video games anymore. I miss WoW, but I can't stand MMORPGs so it just doesn't work out. The little gaming time I have, I spend on playing all the 360 games I purchased before and never finished. Sometimes I have friends over and we do fake plastic rock. I usually just mess around drawing with my Wacom tablet, or playing the bass.

Yep, that's about it.

Dr. Gee
Say it Loud, Say it Plowed!
posted 01-30-2009 06:18:39 PM
My priorities right now are:

1. Working Out
2. School
3. Selling my house (escrow closes on Feb 6 and all the hurdles have been cleared oh holy jesus it's almost done)
4. Running the external portion of the Atheist club at UC Irvine
5. Social Life/Dating

Working out is in so many ways. Right now I'm lifting three times a week and doing the Couch-to-5k program three times a week. This means that I only have one day a week where I'm not actively punishing my body into a new shape, but being physically active and (slowly) approaching physical fitness feels amazing too. On top of this living right next to campus means I walk fucking everywhere and so I'm moving about two miles a day just from that. This has had a pretty dramatic effect on both my personal appearance and personal affect which in turn has had dramatic ramifications for priority five.

Classes are amazing. I'm taking my second quarter of French, Psychology of Lifespan Development, Intro to American Government, and Constitutional Law (1st Amendment edition!). I actually enjoy every single one of them, although I feel that due to spending more time working out than I ever have before I'm starting to fall behind on readings for some of my classes (Constitutional Law) which might bite me in the ass. Fortunately this isn't hard to fix since I'm not that far behind, but still.

The house is almost done. Should have done it three years ago, but I listened to all the people saying, "BUT HOUSES ARE ALWAYS WORTH MORE!" and "IT'S WEALTH FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE." I've recently come to the conclusion that my greatest wealth is myself and my ability to learn and work, so selling the house to finance my school and just get it fucking done so I'm not losing $1000 a month in interest payments is great.

I've been picking up more and more responsibilities for running the club and I interface with a bunch of the other groups in Orange County as well. Shit, even the (90% Christian) Interfaith group on campus asked me to be their student rep due to the effort I put into the Atheist club. Unfortunately I'm already busy enough as it is and I don't see this changing any time soon, so I don't think I'll take the position.

Number five is highly correlated to the results of number one. I've been seeing a girl up at UCLA, but primarily due to distance neither of us really wants to move it into a serious relationship. To a certain extent this is alright, but damn I like the girl and (for the first time in my life) she actually likes me too. So life is pretty good there.

Now, where's gaming in all this? No where. I haven't played a video game other than a bit of Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2 while taking a dump since school started. I don't really miss it either.

Here's a recent picture of me before acting as the Atheist Judge at an apologetics event

Mr. Parcelan
posted 01-30-2009 06:30:18 PM
I, too, am concerned about running the Atheist Club. I am overseer of the "I Don't Have to Go To Church If I Don't Want to, MOM," the "No, YOU Shut the Fuck Up, DAD," and the "Grown-Ups are SO Lame" chapter.
Dr. Gee
Say it Loud, Say it Plowed!
posted 01-30-2009 06:43:13 PM
How's your Secular Student Alliance application going?
Mr. Parcelan
posted 01-30-2009 06:44:29 PM
I dropped that when I converted to Sikhism.
Captain Tarquinn
Don't Ask
posted 01-31-2009 03:34:11 AM
Got a new job last year which I'm very happy with.

Got a Wii last year which I'm very happy with too. Playing the Metal Slug Anthology and some EVE right now.

Also planning my trip to The States.

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
Mr. Parcelan
posted 01-31-2009 04:09:40 AM
Where are you going in the States?
Ferret
Poing! Poing!
posted 01-31-2009 06:19:32 AM
Training for the San Francisco to LA Lifecycle right now, and debating pretty much dropping my life and moving up to Portland.
Captain Tarquinn
Don't Ask
posted 01-31-2009 01:49:43 PM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Mr. Parcelan was all like:
Where are you going in the States?

Karnaj's loveshack.

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
Pvednes
Lynched
posted 01-31-2009 03:05:15 PM
I'm working part-time as a research assistant while doing my honours in ES to germline stem cell research.

I'm keeping fit(ish) with Shooto, wrestling, BJJ and firefighting. Not much time for computer games, but there's always time for the interwebs.

I'm about to get a new car. It should be pretty sweet.

Pvednes fucked around with this message on 01-31-2009 at 03:12 PM.

Brahmin Bloodlust
High Priest of Drysart
posted 01-31-2009 05:32:15 PM
I'm about to invade Oregon in a month for the start of a new life as supreme ruler of the canyons, wheat and barley fields.

I'll have a house, a woman, a job and be far away from any metropolis. Even though I might go visit some psychotic bastard in Portland once in a while to compare soul collections...

That is the future though.

For right now, steady on my working out 6 days a week and down to about 280lbs. Working too much, but not too worried about the stress levels involved anymore since they will be gone in a month.

Also, taxes are done, and I'm getting a decent chunk of change back. Will be good for pocket monies.

Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 01-31-2009 06:16:35 PM
Work, WoW.

Yep, I'm one of those losers.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: