EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Another Warhammer Thread
Alberd
Pancake
posted 10-07-2008 04:17:57 AM
But this one is about the miniatures.

I recently picked up the Assault on Black Reach boxed set with a friend, and was finally got around to looking for paints for it, but would prefer not to spend $15 on a can of spraypaint unless this is some sort of special, magical spraypaint that I simply must have or else my figures will combust on contact on any other inferior paints. I remember in the last one of these threads that there was some other site that sold paints that were similar colors to the Citadel paints at about half the price, but can't seem to find it.

I would greatly appreciate any sound advice before I go plastering these things with paint and ruining them.

To live by the sword is to die by the sword.
Honor those who honor thee, be merciful to those who show thee mercy.
To those who offend thee and thine, show no mercy.
Skaw
posted 10-07-2008 05:34:14 AM
The stuff in the spray can is Primer, so that the paint actually sticks to the models and doesn't look washed out.

Skaw fucked around with this message on 10-07-2008 at 05:34 AM.

Captain Tarquinn
Don't Ask
posted 10-07-2008 06:00:59 AM
If a 15 dollar can of primer is too expensive for you, you are in the wrong hobby. Run away and never look back.
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
Alberd
Pancake
posted 10-07-2008 06:20:03 AM
Not too expensive. I knew I was getting into a costly hobby when I picked it up. $15 for the primer just came as a bit of a surprise. For some reason I didn't expect it to be quite so much.

Alberd fucked around with this message on 10-07-2008 at 06:20 AM.

To live by the sword is to die by the sword.
Honor those who honor thee, be merciful to those who show thee mercy.
To those who offend thee and thine, show no mercy.
I dun got banned
Pancake
posted 10-07-2008 09:53:16 AM
GW generally overprices all of their hobby products, and I don't care for their primer. I use Armory myself, but I've also heard that Tamiya is good. Your local hobby (not necessarily gaming) store can give you some good info.

As far as competitors to Citadel paints go, Vallejo is probably the most popular. I haven't used them, so I can't really speak from experience. Then again, I don't really care for the painting aspect of the hobby myself compared to the gaming and conversions.

Peter
Pancake
posted 10-07-2008 12:50:36 PM
quote:
How.... I dun got banned.... uughhhhhh:
I've also heard that Tamiya is good. ....

Tamiya is an excellent paint line, their sprays are pretty danm good to. Their paint pots are about the same price as the Citadel paints, but nearly twice the amount of paint. Tamiya uses different solvents than most of the other acrylic hobby paints, so if you mix brands make sure they are completely dried and cured first. Also IMHO heir acrylics seem to thin better for airbrushing better than most other brands.

As for Rattlecan primers, I have never had an issue with using Krylon primers. I tend to stick to their automotive brands. Key thing is to make sure it is paint primer, not sandable/buildup primer which is like sprayable body filler rather than paint. Also Krylon has big cans of clear finishing sprays that are just as good as the hobby ones (2bucks for a full sized can of matte spray rather than 4 bucks for the little midget can of Dullcote)

Solvents/Thinners, The big three i have ended up using with Acrylics have been Rubbing alcohol, Windshield washer fluid and water. If you use the windshield washer fluid, makes sure it the Plain old blue shit with out any Rain-x, Degummer/bug remover, or Propylene Glycol in it.

Finally for the paint itself, If you really want cheap, some of the Apple Barrel/Cheap-o wal-mart brand of craft paints Are dead on with some of the citadel paints. Honestly, I would only really look to use them if you have a lot of Vehicles to paint, or at least hand paint. ( I have found in the past many Warhammer folks seem to think of an airbrush as the work of the devil, despite the fact that GWS ‘Eavy Metal obviously uses them)

---Also, might want to find a spiff looking metal Mini to pratice on, since if you screw up, a bath of Thinner and a washing in soap and water, and you can start over.

Peter fucked around with this message on 10-07-2008 at 01:02 PM.

Y.O.T.C
No longer a Towel Girl
posted 10-08-2008 01:37:58 AM
The War Store is where I buy all of my paints. You can even order models through them at a discount if you call them. Very nice. I've NEVER had an issue with them.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: