EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: The first of the brood.
Damnati
Filthy
posted 07-02-2008 08:05:02 PM

Still need to paint the rending claws and the feeder arm for the venom cannon but here is the first of my Tyranids to actually get anywhere near finished.

Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 07-04-2008 03:15:46 AM

Finished Warrior and a Spinegaunt I had lying around. Shitty picture is shitty but it's best this cheapo camera could produce. What does EC think?

Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Y.O.T.C
No longer a Towel Girl
posted 07-04-2008 03:58:31 AM
Besides the fact that you picked NEON MOTHER FUCKING BLUE as one of your colors, they look pretty good from the quality of the picture, might want to use a smaller brush or go back over the fine details around where you neon blue-inized the gun on that guy though.
Damnati
Filthy
posted 07-04-2008 04:03:53 AM
quote:
Y.O.T.C was listening to Cher while typing:
Besides the fact that you picked NEON MOTHER FUCKING BLUE as one of your colors, they look pretty good from the quality of the picture, might want to use a smaller brush or go back over the fine details around where you neon blue-inized the gun on that guy though.

The Gaunt's never getting a touch up. He'd go in the trash if he wasn't the very first 'nid I ever finished. The Warrior is more like the color scheme I want to go with, though it still needs a bit of tweaking. I'm going to make another with better thinned painted and try fade the chitinous bits into liche purple at the edges. The next Gaunt will be a test of the color scheme the first was supposed to be (I misjudged the color of the paint when looking at the bottle); liche purple basecoat, regal blue wash, dark blue wash (Vallejo, it's the blue the Gaunt and the Warrior's venom cannon have on them), then finish it with the same purple edging I plan for the next Warrior.

Captain Tarquinn
Don't Ask
posted 07-04-2008 10:59:58 AM
Doesn't look too shabby. But yes, the blue might be a little bit too extreme, right now.

Captain Tarquinn fucked around with this message on 07-04-2008 at 11:00 AM.

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 07-06-2008 12:11:07 AM
The painting itself is fine, though I'd recommend sticking with the scheme you have on your tyrant, rather than the gaunt. Brown is one of those colors that usually looks awful when paired with bright color. If using colors (reds, blues, yellows, etc) rather than tones (browns, blacks, whites) I'd suggest using a color wheel to come up with colors that compliment each other better. Mixing colors and dull tones is certainly possible, but takes a bit of finesse.
Damnati
Filthy
posted 07-06-2008 03:49:00 AM
quote:
Sakkra said this about your mom:
The painting itself is fine, though I'd recommend sticking with the scheme you have on your tyrant, rather than the gaunt. Brown is one of those colors that usually looks awful when paired with bright color. If using colors (reds, blues, yellows, etc) rather than tones (browns, blacks, whites) I'd suggest using a color wheel to come up with colors that compliment each other better. Mixing colors and dull tones is certainly possible, but takes a bit of finesse.

The Gaunt's not a scheme I intend to use. I bought a Vallejo blue that was supposed to equate Ultramarine Blue, thus I expected it'd be darker like the SMurfs I've seen. Instead it's this disgusting bright ass shit that looks great on the venom cannon the Warrior's got and pretty decent on the Gaunt's arms but horrid as carapace. I do intend to try a blue with darker base colors to see how it looks but it's the Warrior I'm founding my scheme on.

Edit: grammar fuckery

Damnati fucked around with this message on 07-06-2008 at 03:50 AM.

Greenlit
posted 07-06-2008 09:26:59 AM
Ultramarine Blue is a disgusting bright-ass blue.
Greenlit
posted 07-06-2008 09:28:06 AM
It's actually hard to tell through your haze of shitty photography but that does look rather close to Ultramarine Blue, I suspect you mixed a little something with it.
Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 07-06-2008 11:07:55 AM
Here is an informative thread about how to take pictures.
Damnati
Filthy
posted 07-06-2008 09:21:08 PM
quote:
Greenlit had this to say about Optimus Prime:
It's actually hard to tell through your haze of shitty photography but that does look rather close to Ultramarine Blue, I suspect you mixed a little something with it.

Not much to be done with a $30 piece of shit that doesn't even have zoom. Might be that it does match SMurf blue; it's well-thinned and painted on a much lighter blue basecoat.

quote:
Sakkra had this to say about Punky Brewster:
Here is an informative thread about how to take pictures.

I'm not wasting any time on a how-to for the above reason. Nothing will make that camera take a better picture and I don't have money to buy a better one.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 07-08-2008 05:01:08 AM
Good use of (I'm assuming) inks.

Inks were the best thing to ever happen to GW paints. I was there when they first introduced them and people went "holy shit, now I can shade without needing to be Rembrandt".

Damnati
Filthy
posted 07-08-2008 12:59:51 PM
quote:
Mortious had this to say about Tron:
Good use of (I'm assuming) inks.

Inks were the best thing to ever happen to GW paints. I was there when they first introduced them and people went "holy shit, now I can shade without needing to be Rembrandt".

No inks used there, just very well-thinned Citadel paint. Any semblance of shading is from the lighting; I haven't grasped just yet how to compass lighting and shading without inks or premade washes.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: