EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Genetically engineered bugs eat plants and poop crude oil
Maradon!
posted 06-19-2008 07:26:39 AM
For reals

How about that, and it didn't even take any government funding

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 06-19-2008 08:41:15 AM
Well, let's hope it scales well.

Actually, let's hope it scales, period.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Steven Steve
posted 06-19-2008 09:35:04 AM
Unleash it into the Amazon!!
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Pvednes
Lynched
posted 06-19-2008 10:00:32 AM
You can grow this in great big incubator tanks. It works really really well for pharmaceuticals and beer, but I'm not sure how far you could scale it before the cost of great big incubators becomes prohibitive.
Pvednes
Lynched
posted 06-19-2008 10:14:01 AM
That whole "are people ready to put GM in their cars" "it's not the same as GM food!" thing really, really annoys me though.

Genetic modification is set of techniques, not an additive. It does exactly the same thing as the breeding techniques that have been used for many thousands of years, it just does it better. GM is to traditional breeding methods as steel was to iron.

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 06-19-2008 10:34:55 AM
quote:
Pvednes's complete misunderstanding of life manifested itself when they said:
That whole "are people ready to put GM in their cars" "it's not the same as GM food!" thing really, really annoys me though.

Genetic modification is set of techniques, not an additive. It does exactly the same thing as the breeding techniques that have been used for many thousands of years, it just does it better. GM is to traditional breeding methods as steel was to iron.

I'd say more like steel to flint.

Pvednes
Lynched
posted 06-19-2008 10:43:13 AM
quote:
Blindy. had this to say about Captain Planet:
I'd say more like steel to flint.

I dunno, you can still do some really funky tricks with traditional breeding methods.

Pvednes
Lynched
posted 06-19-2008 11:23:13 AM
For example, looking back to the 1930s, try this one:

Step 1: Irradiate plants and breed them.
Step 2: Select mutant offspring with the desired LOF phenotype
Step 3: Breed them to wild-type to produce heterozygotes for the trait
Step 4: Breed heterozygotes together and select for homozygotes for the trait
Step 5: Repeat steps 3 and 4 until you have bred out all the unwanted mutations and have a pure strain.

Steven Steve
posted 06-19-2008 11:23:40 AM
BUT ISN'T THIS PLAYING GOD PVEDNES!?!!?? EVOLUTION DOESN'T EXIST ANYWAY
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 06-19-2008 11:33:02 AM
quote:
I gotta give it to Pvednes with:
For example, looking back to the 1930s, try this one:

Step 1: Irradiate plants and breed them.
Step 2: Select mutant offspring with the desired LOF phenotype
Step 3: Breed them to wild-type to produce heterozygotes for the trait
Step 4: Breed heterozygotes together and select for homozygotes for the trait
Step 5: Repeat steps 3 and 4 until you have bred out all the unwanted mutations and have a pure strain.

That seems like iron to me, but I think when you start irradiating in order to encourage random mutations you're going beyond natural methods. (Not that that's a bad thing, just to hold to the analogy)

Traditional breeding methods by my count would be more like "Hey that thar cow is big and this thar cow is big let's get them to get it on."

Blindy. fucked around with this message on 06-19-2008 at 11:34 AM.

Pvednes
Lynched
posted 06-19-2008 11:45:29 AM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Blindy.!
That seems like iron to me, but I think when you start irradiating in order to encourage random mutations you're going beyond natural methods. (Not that that's a bad thing, just to hold to the analogy)

Traditional breeding methods by my count would be more like "Hey that thar cow is big and this thar cow is big let's get them to get it on."

It's always been a technology, even at the very dawn of civilization. No-one said anything about "natural".

Pvednes fucked around with this message on 06-19-2008 at 11:57 AM.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 06-19-2008 11:59:07 AM
quote:
Pvednes had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
No-one said anything about "natural".

I'm quoting this because it'll probably be used at your trial as prosecution evidence.

This is a pretty neat breakthrough, though. Even with politicians trying to muck up the lot, progress can't be stopped.

Pvednes
Lynched
posted 06-19-2008 12:05:08 PM
Meh. Technically, anything that exists is natural, no matter how artificial it is as well. All mankind and the civilization that we've built exists as a part of nature.
Vorbis
Vend-A-Goat
posted 06-19-2008 12:17:59 PM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Pvednes!
Meh. Technically, anything that exists is natural, no matter how artificial it is as well. All mankind and the civilization that we've built exists as a part of nature.

heathen. death's not natural. it's the wage of sin!

Pvednes
Lynched
posted 06-19-2008 12:27:10 PM
quote:
Hay guys what's going on in this Vorbis?
heathen. death's not natural. it's the wage of sin!

Strangely enough, that's one of the places where a naturalist worldview kinda overlaps a bit with a Christian one, at least in flavour.

If your behaviour conflicts with the natural order of things, you die, and die forever. If you live in accordance with it however, your progeny will continue indefinitely.

[Edit: Which is something you should care about, otherwise who will? Nature certainly won't.]

Pvednes fucked around with this message on 06-19-2008 at 12:32 PM.

Vorbis
Vend-A-Goat
posted 06-19-2008 12:51:21 PM
quote:
Pvednes impressed everyone with:
Strangely enough, that's one of the places where a naturalist worldview kinda overlaps a bit with a Christian one, at least in flavour.

If your behaviour conflicts with the natural order of things, you die, and die forever. If you live in accordance with it however, your progeny will continue indefinitely.

[Edit: Which is something you should care about, otherwise who will? Nature certainly won't.]

A naturalist worldview should be mostly overlapped with the Christian, at least so far as they understand the physical world.

Justin Martyr is great for being the absolute prick that said, "If it's true, it's Christian." I love that kid.

Peter
Pancake
posted 06-19-2008 06:04:59 PM
quote:
Pvednes attempted to be funny by writing:
I dunno, you can still do some really funky tricks with traditional breeding methods.

I always thought Corn was an amazeing example of this.

Callalron
Hires people with hooks
posted 06-20-2008 02:27:59 AM
Now if they could just modify it to eat environmentalists and poop crude oil.

THAT would be the shit. (So to speak)

Callalron
"When mankind finally discovers the center of the universe, a lot of people are going to be upset that it isn't them."
"If you give a man a fish he'll eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish he'll just go out and buy an ugly hat. But if you talk to a starving man about fish, then you've become a consultant."--Dogbert
Arvek, 41 Bounty Hunter
Vrook Lamar server
Steven Steve
posted 06-20-2008 12:26:01 PM
It probably could actually.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 06-20-2008 01:00:39 PM
Great, now Steve has another way to dispose of his victims(other than eating them).
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Steven Steve
posted 06-20-2008 02:50:20 PM
Bladefuck them, then insert LS9 into the wound, then use the petrol to set them on fire

Y.O.T.C
No longer a Towel Girl
posted 06-21-2008 02:18:46 AM
You people realize corn is actually a type of grass that we've modified into what it is now?

Without Genetic modification. Only took like 200 years. No we could do it in like 2. WHY DO PEOPLE NOT LIKE GENETIC MODIFICATION!?!

and yes, capslocks makes you louder.

Greenlit
posted 06-21-2008 02:35:41 AM
quote:
We were all impressed when Y.O.T.C wrote:
You people realize corn is actually a type of grass that we've modified into what it is now?

Without Genetic modification. Only took like 200 years. No we could do it in like 2. WHY DO PEOPLE NOT LIKE GENETIC MODIFICATION!?!

Are you fucking stupid.

Greenlit
posted 06-21-2008 02:35:55 AM
No, seriously.
Greenlit
posted 06-21-2008 02:37:28 AM
I think you might be.
Greenlit
posted 06-21-2008 02:39:59 AM
I've got all night. Just poured a fresh cup of coffee and toasted a bagel.
nem-x
posted 06-21-2008 03:36:24 AM
didnt we also find the cure to cancer several times
Greenlit
posted 06-22-2008 03:13:35 AM
Just got back from hellshift at work.

Still waiting.

Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 06-22-2008 12:00:01 PM
quote:
nem-x's account was hax0red to write:
didnt we also find the cure to cancer several times

We also found a new kind of sound wave that would be used in stunning suspects for the police and letting everyone hear equally at concerts.

I'm getting jaded by the often false-hopes of the internet from supposedly credible news sources.

My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
Steven Steve
posted 06-22-2008 02:17:42 PM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Y.O.T.C:

Did you know that golden pears are delicious?

Greenlit
posted 06-22-2008 02:21:46 PM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Steven Steve said:
Did you know that golden pears are delicious?

I fucking love bartlett pears.

Steven Steve
posted 06-22-2008 05:31:42 PM

eat uuuussss

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bosc_Pear

Steven Steve fucked around with this message on 06-22-2008 at 05:32 PM.

Aaron (the good one)
posted 06-22-2008 05:46:16 PM
I never really liked pears. Now granny smiths on the other hand. I could eat those all day.
Galbadia Hotel - Video Game Music
I am Canadian and I hate The Tragically Hip
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 06-23-2008 01:42:11 PM
I could eat strawberries until I grew a vagina.

Because that's what happens if you eat too many strawberries.

Beer.

Vorbis
Vend-A-Goat
posted 06-23-2008 05:10:48 PM
Karnaj has a strawgina?
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 06-25-2008 06:27:56 AM
quote:
Vorbis screamed this from the crapper:
Karnaj has a strawgina?

Not yet.

But it's getting there. I'm growing it on my elbow.

Beer.

Nina
posted 06-27-2008 04:04:34 AM
brb guise going to market for strawberries
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: