EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: I'M BEING OUTSOURCED!
Aury
My hair is a deadly weapon
posted 05-28-2008 12:02:26 AM
Hooray!

We just found out today that all of our jobs are flying first-class to Mumbai. They'll be shutting my building down mid-August, just so we can deal with the summer "travel rush" (lol gas prices, nobody's renting a fucking car.) before we let people named "Shelly" and "Raymond" and "Janet" (pronounced with appropriate accents) take over for us.

Time to start lookin' for a new gig.

Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 05-28-2008 12:58:47 AM
work for da government
Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 05-28-2008 02:22:08 AM
Your position is being outsourced next month, Sakkra.

Mooj fucked around with this message on 05-28-2008 at 02:22 AM.

Maradon!
posted 05-28-2008 07:21:49 AM
How exactly are they outsourcing car rental?
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 05-28-2008 08:05:07 AM
quote:
Structural Maradon!ity is failing, captain!
How exactly are they outsourcing car rental?
Call center taking reservations, perhaps?

A lot of call centers are being outsourced from the U.S. to places where the people don't speak English. In this case, they'd never even know whether the business they lose is due to gas price hikes or phone jockeys who can't take an accurate reservation.

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 05-28-2008 08:12:52 AM
I'm tired of getting put through to Indian call centers.
Aury
posted 05-28-2008 09:01:25 AM
quote:
`Doc had this to say about Reading Rainbow:
Call center taking reservations, perhaps?

A lot of call centers are being outsourced from the U.S. to places where the people don't speak English. In this case, they'd never even know whether the business they lose is due to gas price hikes or phone jockeys who can't take an accurate reservation.

QFT.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 05-28-2008 09:36:37 AM
quote:
The propaganda machine of Mortious's junta released this statement:
I'm tired of getting put through to Indian call centers.

Corporate customers are the only customers who get American call centers, generally speaking.

Or, perhaps they just get the call centers where the people have mastered a flat American dialect.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 05-28-2008 12:05:01 PM
quote:
See, your Karnaj means your hair. So technically it's true.
Corporate customers are the only customers who get American call centers, generally speaking.

Or, perhaps they just get the call centers where the people have mastered a flat American dialect.

That's not guaranteed either.

My employer has a piece of hardware that cost roughly half a million dollars. Support calls cost $3k plus $600/hour unless you have a $1500/month support contract. Their first tier call center is in India, and anything they can solve, we can solve on our own (though we can only do it because we have passwords that we're not supposed to have). The second tier call center is in Montreal, and the people there are at least reasonably competent.

A friend of mine works in IT for a major corporation's head office in Manhattan (NYC proper). They have a support contract with HP for some high-end hardware. Whenever he calls, they send him to a call center located somewhere in Central America (I forget where), and the phone jockeys struggle to communicate in English. (While my friend does speak fluent Spanish, he makes a point of speaking only English while calling the English support line.)

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Vorbis
Vend-A-Goat
posted 05-28-2008 12:51:39 PM
Just as the capitalist will hire the wage-labourer to make his profit, so will the bougeois nation hire poorer nations. In this way, no country can avoid the advance of capitalism.

America's on it's way to international management. All the low-level corporate jobs are going to the cheaper nations.

Smith, Hobbes and Locke are not your friend.

Aury
posted 05-28-2008 10:25:38 PM
Update!
So, they confirmed it without confirming it. Today, we get an e-mail that says "Ok, so we know there's a rumor floating around that we're selling you all out, and we just wanted to let you know that corporate hasn't decided anything yet. That said, we always encourage all employees to keep an eye on the local job market, and should any opportunities emerge that you feel would be a better fit, we certainly encourage you to follow them."

In short: We aren't going to say we're going to lay everybody off, but you might start looking for a job JUST IN CASE.

lol@ERAC

Maradon!
posted 05-28-2008 10:53:03 PM
I might buy a car from an ERAC used car lot.

I might buy it specifically because they fired you.

Aury
posted 05-28-2008 10:55:45 PM
quote:
Maradon! stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
I might buy a car from an ERAC used car lot.

I might buy it specifically because they fired you.

If you do it soon, I can get you money off of it by saying you're my cousin.

Jajahotep
Vader to Deth's Obi-wan
posted 05-29-2008 08:47:27 PM
They need English speaking supervisors and managers over there to train them. Put in for a transfer.

Maradon!
posted 05-29-2008 08:52:40 PM
quote:
Jajahoteping:
They need English speaking supervisors and managers over there to train them. Put in for a transfer.

Bonus: Child prostitutes

Aaron (the good one)
posted 05-29-2008 08:59:35 PM
quote:
That damn dirty Maradon! rudely interrupted me to say;
Bonus: Child prostitutes

Resume sent

Galbadia Hotel - Video Game Music
I am Canadian and I hate The Tragically Hip
Cherveny
Papaya
posted 06-09-2008 10:08:22 AM
The HP callcenter is in Costa Rica. I dread calling them now, as the service level you get with them is quite random (instead of having deadicated server hardware, pc, server software, personal software, etc teams, they just lump all level 1 calls in one group now, which means they almost ALWAYS get the details of your support cases wrong!)

Went through the same kind of review at Alltel, but luckily, they decided to keep us onshore, but just add extra staff off shore for off hours work. Still scared the heck out of us while the reviews were going on.

Now, we just got bought out by Verizon, so who knows how safe our jobs are.

Taeldian
Pancake
posted 06-11-2008 04:44:59 PM
deadicated
Naimah
In a Fire
posted 06-11-2008 09:45:10 PM
I don't like that they charge you a premium on the warrenty then cut corners on it. If it's free, cut all the corners you want, if you charge for it you better go all out.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: