EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: City of Heroes!
Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 04-24-2008 11:25:45 AM
It's been a while since we had a thread about this, and the game's been changing pretty rapidly. It's no longer even close to the entity it used to be, so I thought I'd start up a discussion on it.

What's new? TONS of shit! I'll start from Issue 9, the Invention Issue.

• Loot (Inventions) - They finally added useful loot to the game, allowing people to finally put the billions of influence/infamy to use by buying and selling recipes for new Enhancements. IO's can either be 'vanilla' io's like accuracy, damage, etc. or set IO's which provide multiple effects (Acc/Dam, Dam/Recharge, or special bonuses like a chance to inflict extra damage, a chance to stun, a regeneration/recovery boost, etc). Set IO's can also confer set bonuses when you slot multiple sets in the same power. Some costume recipes, even a respec recipe was added.

• Veteran Rewards - The longer your account is active, the more bonuses you get. You unlock new powers, free tailoring sessions, new costumes, respecs, even some non-combat and team-buffing pets for time played.

• Auction Houses - Buy and sell recipes, salvage, enhancements, and inspirations. Pretty self explanitory.

• More High-Level Content - They've been focusing heavily on new content, by adding new Task Forces for levels 35-50, soloable task forces for 35-50 players, and they turned the old Rikti Crash Site into a new 'War Zone' where heroes and villains can cooperate on missions and a special cooperative Task Force. They've also added all-level content in the form of alien invasions in random zones upon completion of the Rikti War Zone task force.

• More customization - Aside from all the new costume pieces they're always adding, they created weapon customization. Assault Rifle users no longer have the giant supersoaker fugly gun - they can choose between the old style, mercenary style, M16, 'futuristic' style, etc. Longswords, Maces, Rifles, Katanas, etc. can all have new custom looks.

• More Powersets - They added new powersets for villains, with Thug Masterminds, Electric Armor/Melee brutes, Dual Blade sets for Scrappers/stalkers/brutes, and a new 'Willpower' armor set which is a good combination Regen/Resist/Defense set.

• Flashback System - They added a system where you can go back and replay missions and story arcs to receive badges or souvenirs you missed. You can also adjust the difficulty of missions or add in special conditions to them.

• Levelling Curve - The levels have been adjusted to provide a more smooth curve from 1 to 50. Certain levels were considered 'hell levels' since they lacked content, or were between important powersets that significantly slowed levelling. So they added more content during those levels and added XP bonuses fighting certain levels, to make the 1-50 progression more smooth with no hell levels.

• Real Numbers - Since so many players were using external tools and guides to get the actual numbers behind powers, the devs figured why not just show everyone. Now while you play you can pull up a 'combat attributes' page which describes your current health, regeneration rate, recovery rate, movement speeds, Defense, Resistances, accuracy, etc. When fighting you can see your combat rolls (IE : You had a 75% chance to hit the target, and you rolled an 80 so you missed). Helps a lot for figuring out how effective your enhancements are and how to plan out your slots.

• Character Transfers and Renames - They cost money, but they're available now.

And what's coming up on Issue 12, the next major update?

• Villain Epic Archetypes (VEAT) - Villains can pick between starting as an Arachnos Wolf Spider, or an Arachnos Blood Widow. Wolf Spiders get a mix of ranged rifle attacks and grenades and some interesting defensive powers (status resists at level 1, sweet). Blood Widows are kind of a stalker/scrapper with some ranged 'dart' powers that remind me of spines or thorns. At level 24, however, they branch out into two specialized classes - Bane Spider/Crab Spider for the Wolf units, and Night Widow/Fortunata for the Blood Widows. Band Spiders are kind of stalker/scrapper mix who use the Arachnos mace for their powers, and Crab Spiders get the bigass backpack. Night Widows are Scrapper and psi blaster mid, while Fortunatas are more Dominator-ish.

• Powerset Proliferation - They're expanding the powersets that classes have access to. Not adding new ones (Beyond the VEATs) but giving classes access to sets they didn't have before. Tankers can use Dark Armor/Melee, Scrappers get Fire Melee/armor, Masterminds get storm control, Controllers get Plant and Thermal, etc.

• Additional Character Slots - Everyone gets 2 extra character slots, and an additional slot every year as a veteran reward. Extra slots can also be bought, and you can potentially have 36 characters per server.

• Accuracy boost for low-level characters - One of the biggest complaints to levelling is that before you get Dual-Origin enhancements, your accuracy kind of sucks. Your misses mean more of a blow since you don't have access to stamina and all the defensive options that become available later. So the devs implemented a curve, where you start out with 90% accuracy at level 1 and slowly drop down (About .75% per level) to the normal 75% accuracy at level 20. From there on it's the same as always. This just helps people start out.

• All the usual shit - New costume options, tweaks to zones and some minor power tweaks to help balance the game, bug fixes, all that shit.

There's also talk about new branching dialogue trees - nothing new to other games but new to CoH. Here's the example they gave :

quote:
[Positron's] also excited about the addition of traditional RPG branching tree dialogue, something they didn't have in City of Heroes until this Issue and will now begin to use quite a bit.

"In this issue it's just the test bed for it, we got the tech late into the development process so we were not able to use it everywhere we wanted to," said Miller.

This allows them to put options into conversations or theoretically do things like present players with situations like which wire to cut when defusing a bomb.

All in all, pretty amusing. Some old gripes (PvP Balance) are being worked on but still have issues, but there's a LOT more to do at 50 now and a lot more incentive to branch out and try all the different characters without having to replay hell levels and shit.

All I could really ask for now is more mission variety - my only real gripe with the game anymore is the fact that you're still running very, very similar instanced offices, warehouses, and caves. If they'd put more variety into the missions to make them feel less generic and more varied it'd be perfect.

Khyron fucked around with this message on 04-24-2008 at 11:33 AM.

Vorago
A completely different kind of Buckethead
posted 04-24-2008 01:05:34 PM
I actually started CoV back up a week ago myself, new computer makes the game not look like complete ass and they really have added a lot, I'm impressed
Dr. Gee
Say it Loud, Say it Plowed!
posted 04-24-2008 02:17:44 PM
Can you download the game client or do you need the disks still? My disks are pretty much long lost at this point, but I've quit WoW and am looking for something to do that requires less of a time sink to get enjoyment out of an CoH/V works well for that.

Having answered my own question, yes you can!

So where are people playing still? Guardian for both villains and heroes?

Dr. Gee fucked around with this message on 04-24-2008 at 02:26 PM.

Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 04-24-2008 02:27:05 PM
Nobody plays on Guardian, it's all pretty much Freedom or Virtue (which is the unofficial RP server)

Sakkra fucked around with this message on 04-24-2008 at 02:36 PM.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 04-24-2008 02:39:14 PM
I'd play a villain if it wasn't so boring.

The character creator is the only fun part of the entire game. I spent hours in there.

Khyron
posted 04-24-2008 03:09:35 PM
The new Dual Blades set is pretty interesting. In addition to the 8 attacks in the set, you also get four combos which trigger additional effects - Weaken (-accuracy, -defense), Power Up (Self +acc and +damage), Sweep (AoE Damage), and Vital Strike (DoT). Combos are 3 specific landed attacks in a row.

Here's a video of the attacks and chains : http://youtube.com/watch?v=_gTCWImeru4

Myself, I play with the Goons (Protector Villains, Victory Heroes) in Goonsquad. I'd highly recommend joining if you're a goon, since there's ALWAYS people there and tons going on. Plenty of fun for everyone. Also pick up City of Goons (Sound/Texture pack) for pure awesome.

Khyron fucked around with this message on 04-24-2008 at 03:11 PM.

nem-x
posted 04-24-2008 03:13:27 PM
no one wants stalkers in their groups
Kennatsu
hu�mor 1. That which is intended to induce laughter or amusement: a writer skilled at crafting humor.
posted 04-24-2008 03:26:44 PM
quote:
Sakkra had this to say about Pirotess:
Nobody plays on Guardian, it's all pretty much Freedom or Virtue (which is the unofficial RP server)

I play on Guardian. Level 31 at the moment, but I have a hard time finding groups to play with.

Kennatsu fucked around with this message on 04-24-2008 at 03:32 PM.

nem-x
posted 04-24-2008 03:38:49 PM
can you have a level 50 and get access to the new villain ats or do you have to hit 50 when issue 12 is released
Steven Steve
posted 04-24-2008 03:46:28 PM
I would play if the customer support wasn't handled by shovelfaces
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 04-24-2008 04:17:11 PM
quote:
nem-x stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
can you have a level 50 and get access to the new villain ats or do you have to hit 50 when issue 12 is released

just have a level 50

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 04-24-2008 04:26:29 PM
quote:
What is a Khyron? A miserable little pile of secrets! But enough talk... Have at you!

• More customization - Aside from all the new costume pieces they're always adding, they created weapon customization. Assault Rifle users no longer have the giant supersoaker fugly gun - they can choose between the old style, mercenary style, M16, 'futuristic' style, etc. Longswords, Maces, Rifles, Katanas, etc. can all have new custom looks.

• It took way too long for this.

Can you cusutomize the looks of your powers yet?

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
    Steven Steve
    posted 04-24-2008 04:43:41 PM
    quote:
    Densetsu painfully thought these words up:
    It took way too long for this.

http://www.champions-online.com

"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."

Dr. Gee
    posted 04-24-2008 05:35:50 PM
    I'm guessing that you need an SA account to actually join the Goon SG?
    Maradon!
    posted 04-24-2008 06:44:11 PM
    Welp, here's another mmo for me to start back up with
    Steven Steve
    posted 04-24-2008 07:58:45 PM
    No, John

Steven Steve
    posted 04-24-2008 07:59:41 PM
    Well actually yes, and I probably would too except that the NCSoft server inexplicably doesn't even work for my old account and I would have to buy CoH all over again to play it (eat my ass Richard Gayrriott)

Maradon!
    posted 04-24-2008 08:42:24 PM
    Anyone want to take credit for my reactivation?

You have about 5 minutes

nem-x
    posted 04-24-2008 08:45:39 PM
    when is issue 12 coming out anyways, im only interested in being a big spider guy
    Sakkra
    Office Linebacker
    posted 04-24-2008 10:20:41 PM
    quote:
    nem-x thought about the meaning of life:
    when is issue 12 coming out anyways, im only interested in being a big spider guy

Its in closed beta now, no time frame's been given.

Sakkra
    Office Linebacker
    posted 04-24-2008 10:42:39 PM
    psychic blasters are gonna be so overpowered people
    Maradon!
    posted 04-24-2008 10:45:57 PM
    quote:
    Sakkraing:

professor x lol

Sakkra
    Office Linebacker
    posted 04-24-2008 10:58:36 PM
    mind beemz pew pew
    Khyron
    posted 04-25-2008 01:36:40 AM
    quote:
    So quoth Sakkra:

Most of the time, yeah. There's a few small situations where they'll be next to useless, but those are so few and far between that nobody will care.

Though a /storm mastermind sounds intriguing.

Khyron
    posted 04-25-2008 01:40:07 AM
    quote:
    Densetsu wrote this stupid crap:
    It took way too long for this.

Nope. Just choose custom models for powers that have weapon models. Most of the time I don't care, though I really, really wish that they'd have included spines as one of the customizable powers. Hell, even if they'd make the only two options the spines model and the thorns model, it'd be an improvement.

Still, Claws has some pretty awesome models now, the assault rifle doesn't have to be gigantic supersoaker of ugly, the maces are pretty awesome, haven't checked out the axes yet, the dual-blades are damn decent, and the pistols fucking rule.

I really, really wish there was a powerset that used the pistols other than Thugs/ Masterminds, but oh well.

quote:
    Steven Steve had this to say about Tron:
    http://www.champions-online.com

I'll admit to being really interested in Champions Online, though I'm unsure about one thing : Jack Emmert (AKA Statesman) being on the dev team. Jack Emmert is City of *'s Brad McQuaid - one of the most prominent figures on the dev team who made the game possible, but is also noted for a number of highly questionable design decisions.

Most of the major issues which have really revitalized the game came about after he was booted off the dev team and replaced. While it may or may not have been his influence that was keeping the game bogged down, it's unquestionable that the game has improved vastly since he left. Hopefully he's learned from the mistakes that were made when he was a developer for Co* and he won't make them again in Champions, but a lot of Co* players are more skeptical than I.

We'll see how it turns out, though

Khyron fucked around with this message on 04-25-2008 at 01:50 AM.

Dr. Gee
    posted 04-25-2008 06:46:01 PM
    Well coolness. I've got some weeny toons up on Freedom and Protector now.

Global handle is Harmonica Dissonace (I know it's missing an "n"), but I want to change that as soon as I remember how to! So make with the sharing of the global handles so we can like, do stuff.

nem-x
    posted 04-25-2008 06:50:24 PM
    someone send me a reactivation code
    Maradon!
    posted 04-25-2008 06:58:33 PM
    how the fuck ass do you get a global handle
    Dr. Gee
    posted 04-25-2008 07:00:43 PM
    quote:
    Maradon! had this to say about Jimmy Carter:

I don't remember

Aaron (the good one)
    posted 04-25-2008 07:21:25 PM
    quote:
    That damn dirty nem-x rudely interrupted me to say;
    someone send me a reactivation code

play your WoW that you got for free

Galbadia Hotel - Video Game Music
    I am Canadian and I hate The Tragically Hip
    nem-x
    posted 04-25-2008 07:51:09 PM
    im busy using it as a money making simulator
    Khyron
    posted 04-26-2008 12:31:29 AM
    quote:
    Check out the big brain on Maradon!!

Should be in the menu, I think? I dunno, I changed mine ages and ages and ages ago when global chat had issues and never needed to change it since.

Also, hooray for goon teams. We did STF (Statesman's task force, the highest endgame TF currently available for heroes only) in an hour and 20 minutes with no wipes. We did have 7 deaths, so we couldn't get the 'Master' badge (Beat it in under 2 hours with 0 deaths to get a special badge out of it), but that didn't stop me from getting a Synthetic Hamidon Enhancement (Boosts Tohit and Defense debuffs as well as Accuracy) worth 1 million, a few recipes worth around 8 million, and various Invention salvage worth another 7 million.

So I'm rolling in influence. If anyone starts up on Victory with the goons, let me know and I'll toss some your way to get you started.

Sakkra
    Office Linebacker
    posted 04-26-2008 03:06:58 AM
    will u pl meh?
    nem-x
    posted 04-26-2008 05:22:16 AM
    I've been suckered!

Chat handle: @Nemmy

Tarquinn
    Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
    posted 04-26-2008 06:51:06 AM
    This thread inspired me to play Evil Genius again.
    ~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
    Maradon!
    posted 04-26-2008 01:28:33 PM
    @Maradon
    Dr. Gee
    posted 04-26-2008 01:46:46 PM
    @Geeorn

Obviously Khyron's on the SA servers, but where are other people going?

Dr. Gee fucked around with this message on 04-26-2008 at 01:51 PM.

Vorago
    A completely different kind of Buckethead
    posted 04-26-2008 03:52:21 PM
    I play on Freedom myself due to it having the highest pop of the bunch

@VoragoErus is my global

Toxin Overdose, thugs/poison mastermind is who you will see me on 90% of the time. Other 10% is (The) Violence King, Dual/Willpower Brute.

Vorago fucked around with this message on 04-26-2008 at 03:54 PM.

Maradon!
    posted 04-26-2008 04:40:42 PM
    ok now how do you talk to global friends
    Dr. Gee
    posted 04-26-2008 04:46:31 PM
    I think it's "/t @<name>, <message>" but I'm not sure.

Also, I think I'm going to end up on Freedom too since it's the highest pop which is a good thing.

Dr. Gee fucked around with this message on 04-26-2008 at 04:47 PM.

All times are US/Eastern
    Hop To: