EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: How is everyone's life going?
Gadani
U
posted 02-27-2008 11:39:13 PM
Tell me about your life.

How's your job? School? Wife and kids? Girlfriend?

Let me know what's going well or not!

e: Come to think of it, I don't know what half of you do for a living.

So, tell me what your job/major/both is/are!

Gadani fucked around with this message on 02-27-2008 at 11:41 PM.

Willias
Pancake
posted 02-27-2008 11:41:28 PM
I'm trying to get into UofL.

I have no money, but I'm not letting that stop me this time!

Maradon!
posted 02-27-2008 11:48:19 PM
My foremost goal, as it has been for the past 2 years, is to get my own place. I did the math and decided that I could do that right now if I so chose, but I would be living paycheck-to-paycheck without the possibility of saving up or buying nice things.

So, I'm looking for a better job currently. I applied at Children's Hospital and a couple other places.

Other than that it's pretty ho-hum. I read the entire Ender's Game series. I'm just finishing up Shadow of the Giant.

Alaan
posted 02-27-2008 11:49:08 PM
Life is rolling along pretty ok. Picking up an associates in Computer Network security in May. Then about 5 minutes later moving into a house I'm closing on in April. The women can wait until after I move. After some transfer reqs get knocked out, more than likely transferring to UoI!

Also oh god moving in with Lokii, MorbId, MorbId's sister, and YOTC's girlfriend(no YOTC ) in August. Or I should say they'll move in with me.

Zair
The Imp
posted 02-28-2008 12:00:28 AM
Still at U of I. I've successfully returned, which is something. Still have one more year after this, though.

Then the real world finally, I guess =/

Don't think I have the grades or inclination for grad school, at least immediatly.

This year, I'd like to do at least one of four things too:

-pick up a language
-pick up an instrument
-pick up writing some
-pick up some weights

Will probably join up on some local campaign too.

Kinanik 2
Pancake
posted 02-28-2008 01:40:17 AM
My life:

Currently finishing up my final semester at Gonzaga University. I have finished everything for my Economics degree (though I'm currently taking Econometrics anyways) and am doing my senior thesis for History.

I'm also waiting to hear back from Econ Ph.D programs; I've applied to UT Austin, U Rochester and UC Berkeley. If none of these places give me moolah to study there, I'm going to take a year off before re-applying and work somewhere for a year, hopefully some Think-Tank doing research assistantship stuff, or at the Federal Reserve. I'll be a stronger candidate for grad school next year, as the paper I wrote should be published this year in the Journal of Human Capital (hopefully).

I have a wonderful ladyfriend. She's quite pretty and smart, even though she's a Sociology major.

I also recently finished up the first Ender quadrilogy. Great stuff.

How is your life?

Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 02-28-2008 02:17:51 AM
I graduated with a BS in Computer Science from Cal Poly in December. Go me. I thought about grad school, but was kinda done with classes and crap.

I started a new job in January. I'm a firmware engineer in Silicon Valley. It's a pretty sweet deal so far--I show up at 10, in sandals, and occasionally get to drink on company time. I also get to work on really cool stuff.

Otherwise, I'm still just getting used to having at least (a little) free time. Seriously actually picking up guitar for real this year. Starting to plan out finances. Starting to network up here as well. It's weird living somewhere without feeling like there's an "end date", so to speak.

Good times.

Ferret
Poing! Poing!
posted 02-28-2008 02:38:05 AM
I work at SEGA, have for two years. Should get promoted again soon.

I live in the city, without really having to worry much.

Don't have any kids I know about, and go out with people every weekend or so.

Life's good.

Dr. Gee
Say it Loud, Say it Plowed!
posted 02-28-2008 03:30:01 AM
Getting towards the end of my first quarter at UC Irvine. Living outside of San Diego on a permanent basis for the first time is kinda odd, but the place I'm at is great. I'm also working on getting my house into marketable shape so I can unload it when the market picks up a bit. I'm at about 50% equity even with all the devaluation, so even with selling the place for below market value I'd still come out of it with a nice chunk o' change to pay through college.

Life is better than it has been in about a decade, so I've got nothing to complain about. Except finals. Fuck that.

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 02-28-2008 08:32:26 AM
I'm a Data Architect (at least that is what my business card says).

Life is great right now! My job is going pretty well. I'm functioning as a senior developer now and my data architecture and program concepts are becoming the company norm. My boss recognized this and hit me with a sizable raise this year.

I'm getting married in June, closing on a house in 29 days, and looking forward to all that jazz.

Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 02-28-2008 08:35:46 AM
Graduated from college, good.

Got dumped by my girlfriend of almost seven years, not good.

Still unemployed and living with mom, not good.

Seeing a therapist to deal with a whole bunch of shit, probably good in the long run but right now it doesn't really feel that way.

Looking at the scorecard, my life's going pretty shitty.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 02-28-2008 08:47:13 AM
Working. Trying to decide when the best time would be to buy a house. Buying a new car in August.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Steven Steve
posted 02-28-2008 08:52:17 AM
I'm covered in bruises, my throat is swollen from being punched, I have a nutrition project to do and 4 chapters of macro econ to study in the next 3 hours, I still live at home and have no girlfriend, but actually I'm feeling quite good as I've more or less lost my humanity and transcended into a state of demi-godhood in the past few weeks.
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 02-28-2008 09:32:50 AM
Life is going well.

Just finished my first 6 months as a manager at my new job, waiting for the performance review to come back and find out how well the owners think I'm doing.

Big tax refund is coming, thank god for owning my own place.

Have had a bit of trouble sleeping in the past few days because of what feels like allergies, but is probably just a cold - so I'm only working a half day today.

tFUCKING RETARD
Pancake
posted 02-28-2008 10:13:15 AM
quote:
Gadani wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
Tell me about your life.

Let me know what's going well or not!

e: Come to think of it, I don't know what half of you do for a living.

So, tell me what your job/major/both is/are!

I work at a Kroger and a Gold's Gym.

I go to school at a little local campus in Duluth, GA and major in English Education.

I also train five or six days a week as an amateur cagefighter; I don't make money off it yet but I got sponsored to train.

No wife, no girlfriend.

I'm moving to Leningrad, Russia in about a year and a half to train with a team of guys up there; definitely looking forward to that experience.

There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive.
Naimah
In a Fire
posted 02-28-2008 12:43:26 PM
I have a degree in Electrical Engineering and can't find a job. Go me?
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 02-28-2008 01:12:22 PM
quote:
Aw, geez, I have Naimah all over myself!

Might need to move to a more fertile job market. You know, like Europe hurrrrrrrr

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Oreo
Pancake
posted 02-28-2008 02:09:13 PM
Life is okay. Not good, not bad.

Just declared a minor in Anthropology. No idea where I'm going in life with a Biology/Anthropology degree, but that's what interests me.

A guy at the campus center was giving away free bottles of Vault. It was disgusting, but it was free.

I work at the dining hall. : / I get paid minimum wage and I am embarrassed to tell people about it. I did get promoted to supreme master of smoothies though. I should have won the nobel peace prize for my discovery of the smoothie flavor "Awesome" It consists of strawberries, canteloupe, yogurt, milk, ice and a shot of vanilla syrup. You can put whipped-cream on top if you are a fatty.

I would like to study abroad next year, but I doubt I will be accepted into the program because of my major, which is unfortunate.

I bought a super cute poster for my wall but it keeps unsticking and rolling back up, which is annoying.

I am participating in my school's chapter of "The Biggest Loser" and I have lost 10lbs since the end of January! My target weight is 115lbs by April! It is feasible, even though I hate going to the gym and it's too cold to run outdoors.

I have class in 16 minutes.

Razor v2.0
Pancake
posted 02-28-2008 05:01:43 PM

Finished off my Bachelors of Science and Applied Arts in Astronomy with a minor in Math. I am currently waiting for another callback from the HR at SDSU to see if I was awarded the position I applied for (looking at about 45+k/yr + full benefits for this position). I am currently working at Astronomical Research Cameras as a part time employee for 13/hr doing assembly. I have a fiancé and we're planning on our wedding for 2010. I am also looking at finding a place to live. My fiancé is currently going to school for Archeology at CSU San Marcos.

Gadani
U
posted 02-28-2008 06:08:35 PM
I work part/full time in a pharmacy and I'm studying (in my free time outside of school and work) to become a certified pharmacy tech and make alot more money than what I'm making now.

School is going pretty great; I have a 3.4 GPA (from one semester, but this semester's shaping up pretty nicely), my major is Music Education (voice concentration), and I pretty much have my schedule planned for the next few semesters.

I've been having the same girlfriend for about two years now (such a long time right) and we are doing super!

My friends and I hang out whenever possible and I work with one of my closest friends almost every day (in the pharmacy).

Life is good!

Gadani fucked around with this message on 02-28-2008 at 06:09 PM.

Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 02-28-2008 06:12:09 PM
Been working. Going to the gym even though I hate it. Getting in better shape in spite of myself.

Getting ready for a duty transfer coming up in a few months. Cant wait. Gonna buy a house.

I'll finish up my MBA eventually. Someday.

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 02-28-2008 08:13:07 PM
It's.. ok.

Mom died on the 15th, my dad is still a wreck because of it, my brother is picking up most of the slack and getting stressed because of it, and I don't know what the heck I'm supposed to be doing as I've never been in this situation before. We went to buy a new car, ended up getting two, don't know what the fuck to do with the other one and have just stuffed it in the garage for now as it needs work doing to its engine.

Trying to get a few exams finished so I can get a job that won't entail stacking products onto shelves or talking someone through pressing the power button to turn on a computer over a helpline.

Kind of a limbo at the moment. A frantic running-around-like-a-headless-chicken limbo.

Ares
posted 02-28-2008 09:07:36 PM
Pretty good, thanks I guess.

Happy that my critically ill aunt made it for her 50th birthday, she's a tough cookie. We threw a surprise party for her, even though she was really sick that week and quite obviously upped her steroids in order to make it for her 'birthday dinner' which is what we told her it was.

My thesis is going well, I'm doing well, mark wise with a 75% that should actually be rising now, since my instructor told me that he's enjoying my recent pieces more... We had an amazing xmas card sale to raise money for our grad show and brought in $650 over the course of 3 partial days which exceed our expectations.

I'm now working on a 'professional' site for my work, which hopefully will be up and running soonish.

I was recently in an art show to raise money for the Toronto Rape Crisis Centre, which was an amazing experience.

All and all everything is going well. :3 Thanks for asking.

Arttemis
Not Squire... but a guitar!
posted 02-28-2008 10:17:34 PM
quote:
Naimah thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:

Do you have any job experience? If you don't, you're going to run into a pretty big wall, as most places I've been would rather hire a senior technician than a junior engineer. (I've actually got the opposite problem: I've got experience but no degree, so I'm stuck in technician-level positions.)

Where do you live now and what, specifically, are you looking to get in to? Design, process engineering, reliability...?

Arttemis fucked around with this message on 02-28-2008 at 10:18 PM.

Burori
Pancake
posted 02-28-2008 10:23:01 PM
At this point I am a coordinator in Game testing. At the moment I am doing some massive overtime, listening to clients complain and such, normal shit.

And the scary thing is that I am loving it Oo

Neverwinter Nights Characters:

Race: Dwarf
Name: (Kill) Kilinus
Class: Fighter/Weapon Master/ Doom Knight
Level: 14
Allignent: Neutral Evil
Diety: Bane

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 02-28-2008 10:23:50 PM
quote:
So quoth Arttemis:
Do you have any job experience? If you don't, you're going to run into a pretty big wall, as most places I've been would rather hire a senior technician than a junior engineer. (I've actually got the opposite problem: I've got experience but no degree, so I'm stuck in technician-level positions.)

Where do you live now and what, specifically, are you looking to get in to? Design, process engineering, reliability...?

I have about a years worth of experiance in software QA. But yea, pretty much every listing I've looked at has been for 3-5+ year experiance. I'm in Austin which isn't the best of markets but whatever. I have another 4 or 5 months of savings and if I can't get something in town, I'll start looking nationally.

Callalron
Hires people with hooks
posted 02-28-2008 11:59:26 PM
My job...is my job. Shift manager at the Car Care Center on Nellis AFB. Just got a raise last paycheck, plus maybe another coming in a couple of months. And I've heard we're actually getting bonuses this year, since we hit our retail goals for 2007. Don't know how much or when, but it beats a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. Customers on the other hand...ugh. For what they're paying me, they're lucky I don't go after some of the dumber ones with a bat.

Wife is doing fine. Working at Penney's and taking classes to finish her accounting degree. Once she gets her AA finished she's looking for a bookkeeping job, so bye bye retail. Our son will be 16 months old on the 5th of March. He's gonna be ginormous when grows up I think.

Overall, things aren't going too bad. Hopefully they'll keep looking up.

Callalron
"When mankind finally discovers the center of the universe, a lot of people are going to be upset that it isn't them."
"If you give a man a fish he'll eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish he'll just go out and buy an ugly hat. But if you talk to a starving man about fish, then you've become a consultant."--Dogbert
Arvek, 41 Bounty Hunter
Vrook Lamar server
Demos
Pancake
posted 02-29-2008 12:18:23 AM
Just got a great offer on a Front-End Architecture / User Experience job that pays about three times my current job...so I'm in a good place. Effectively graduating in June. Got a case of Sam Adam's White Ale here too, so yeah. Just peachy here.
"Jesus saves, Buddha enlightens, Cthulhu thinks you'll make a nice sandwich."
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 02-29-2008 01:45:31 PM
Job's busy as hell, but that's okay. I've got a pretty great bunch of folks working for me, which helps quite a bit. I'll put on my new rank this summer, and the $1000/month pay raise won't suck.

Gotta start thinking about retirement, though, which is a downer. And I need to figure out how ambitious I still am at this point in my career--I can try to coast for the next 10 years to max retirement, pull the handles early and look for a "real" job after another assignment, or see how far I can still go in terms of responsibility.

I'd like an assignment back in the US one of these days, but can't figure out how to avoid the Pentagon.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 02-29-2008 02:04:59 PM
Supreme Commander Bloodsage.
Noxhil3
Pancake
posted 02-29-2008 04:11:30 PM
I'm doing pretty well I think. I'm currently in my 4th semester at Florida. I don't exactly have a job, but I play poker to supplement scholarship money.

I don't have a girlfriend right now. I honestly rather like being single in college, although I'm considering whether I might better stay on track with one.

I'm not really sure what I'm majoring in, which doesn't make my college very happy. This semester I'm taking Cultural Anthropology, Behavioral Analysis, Computational Linear Algebra, Financial Accounting and Engineering Statics. I'm officially working towards a degree in Economics, but I'm not taking any of those classes right now.

Greenlit
posted 02-29-2008 04:36:53 PM
Single, applying for a new job tomorrow.

Pretty boring really.

Steven Steve
posted 02-29-2008 05:41:50 PM
Why not become some sort of super hero Greenlit?

Stalwart Steve fucked around with this message on 02-29-2008 at 05:42 PM.

"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."

Vorago
A completely different kind of Buckethead
posted 02-29-2008 06:10:40 PM
Well, to date I have lost 52 pounds through changing what I eat over the past year and a half (currently at 185 from 237 at my worst), met my girlfriend 2 and a half months ago whom I love with all my heart, got health coverage and retirement savings through my work finally and have begun putting the max amounts in each paycheck to get maximum matching from my work towards my retirement (24 years old now, figure long term that will add up huge) and am about to start work on finding a car of my own (Mom and I split 50/50 on the car we own and use atm), then get a cellphone finally to join the rest of the human race then finally move away from home.

So all in all, things really haven't been better since... dunno, forever. I haven't played this little video games since I was like years old. I vaguely miss it, but wouldn't give up the time with my girlfriend for anything.

Vorago fucked around with this message on 02-29-2008 at 06:14 PM.

Greenlit
posted 02-29-2008 06:15:26 PM
I have often considered it, or a career along a similar path. I cannot become a firefighter without getting eye surgery, which I cannot afford and probably couldn't get a loan to cover.

So I'm gonna keep working shit jobs while I get back in shape and maybe think of law enforcement or army enlistment.

Steven Steve
posted 02-29-2008 06:16:04 PM
Well did you know that it's possible to earn liveable (and often more) wages off of private investigation?

Greenlit
posted 02-29-2008 06:23:22 PM
Today's private investigation is not the kind I am interested in.

Had I been born a hundred years ago, I most certainly would be.

Kaiote*
Pancake
posted 02-29-2008 06:40:09 PM
Hrm..

Getting my business plan worked out. Current work involves writing articles for magazines, freelance designing of jewelery, and freelance accounts auditting.

Wife is fine, working as an LPN, and going to school to get her RN. My daughter is beautiful, learns quickly, and destroys electronics. She turns 2 this year, and can already call me on her mom's cell phone. My girlfriend and I broke up, and this made me sad. To the point that I lost about 40 pounds on a beer and antacid diet. But I'm healing nicely.

Steven Steve
posted 02-29-2008 06:49:47 PM
quote:
Greenlit Model 2000 was programmed to say:
Today's private investigation is not the kind I am interested in.

Had I been born a hundred years ago, I most certainly would be.

But "ees so easy" - Green Leaves

Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 02-29-2008 06:57:34 PM
quote:
Callalron obviously shouldn't have said:
My job...is my job. Shift manager at the Car Care Center on Nellis AFB. Just got a raise last paycheck, plus maybe another coming in a couple of months. And I've heard we're actually getting bonuses this year, since we hit our retail goals for 2007. Don't know how much or when, but it beats a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. Customers on the other hand...ugh. For what they're paying me, they're lucky I don't go after some of the dumber ones with a bat.

Wife is doing fine. Working at Penney's and taking classes to finish her accounting degree. Once she gets her AA finished she's looking for a bookkeeping job, so bye bye retail. Our son will be 16 months old on the 5th of March. He's gonna be ginormous when grows up I think.

Overall, things aren't going too bad. Hopefully they'll keep looking up.

You live around Nellis?

My squadron flies into there pretty often.

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: