EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: What the hell?
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 12-22-2007 09:03:52 AM
http://www.digg.com/pc_games/Elder_Scrolls_MMORPG_confirmed_2

If this is true, RIP WoW. A TES MMORPG would be like EverQuest 2 should've been. No one will want to play anything else.

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 12-22-2007 10:34:03 AM
None of the Elder Scrolls games ever interested me enough to warrant playing them.

I'm just as excited over this.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piƱa coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 12-22-2007 10:51:32 AM
All Elder Scrolls games are boring shit that have more style than substance. However during the 80 hours of playtime you need to realize that you're having a great deal of fun.

Tarquinn fucked around with this message on 12-22-2007 at 10:51 AM.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Bricktop
Old and Gay
posted 12-22-2007 12:18:42 PM
The Elder Scrolls series is mind numbingly boring. I play every one as it comes out because the hype makes it seem like it's going to be the one that doesn't suck but it still ends up sucking just as bad as Arena. They just get a prettier looking(except for Morrowind, I'd rather look at the Daggerfall graphics than the character models in Morrowind) exterior to cover the foul shit underneath.
A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent.
Willias
Pancake
posted 12-22-2007 12:30:38 PM
To be honest, there's a lot of places where an Elder Scrolls MMO could fuck up, and I wasn't all that crazy about Oblivion once I played it for so long (though I love Morrowind).

Willias fucked around with this message on 12-22-2007 at 12:31 PM.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 12-22-2007 12:37:45 PM
quote:
Tarquinn said:
All Elder Scrolls games are boring shit that have more style than substance. However during the 80 hours of playtime you need to realize that you're having a great deal of fun.

I could say exactly the same about WoW, from my point of view.

Fun makes a game, and I much prefer the TES setting over WoW's one. So I'd have fun playing this. So they have my money. It's a win-win for me and the company.

Bricktop
Old and Gay
posted 12-22-2007 12:53:16 PM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Mortious:
I could say exactly the same about WoW, from my point of view.

Fun makes a game, and I much prefer the TES setting over WoW's one. So I'd have fun playing this. So they have my money. It's a win-win for me and the company.

But we're not talking about your point of view. Since you think it's going to be a "WoW killer" and "no one will want to play anything else" we're talking about the point of view of WoW's nine million subscribers.

Which will be a lot like the views expressed in this thread. Elder Scrolls kinda sucks.

Batty
Doesn't Like You. Specifically you.
posted 12-22-2007 12:53:22 PM
It's really a "wait and see" kinda thing for me. Either it'll be great or it'll suck badly. No real inbetween. It all depends on implementation and if they're willing to change some things to fit a MMO.
Demos
Pancake
posted 12-22-2007 12:59:55 PM
Eh, I dunno about this. To me, one of the biggest appeals of the elder scrolls universe was the user generated content, but that wouldn't really come into play with an mmo. Without the custom skins/classes/weapons/modules/etc, TES could be really dry.
"Jesus saves, Buddha enlightens, Cthulhu thinks you'll make a nice sandwich."
Alaan
posted 12-22-2007 02:03:57 PM
Nearly every Elder Scroll game comes out of the box with some vareity of crippling flaw. They'll have to try to realize what that is before release. Because if they fuck up release it is all over.

Edit: And it will take a megaton perfect game to even scratch WoW's subscriptions. It is going nowhere until WoW 2: WoW harder comes out or another Blizzard MMO comes out.

Alaan fucked around with this message on 12-22-2007 at 02:06 PM.

Tier
posted 12-22-2007 02:09:22 PM
If they insist on using their horrible, horrible skill-levelling system for this, it'll be godawful.

I'm waiting for WAR and then BioWare's Old Republic MMOG. :3

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 12-22-2007 02:17:51 PM
Yeah, I'd be way more excited about BioWare's MMO than some Elder Scrolls BS.
Bricktop
Old and Gay
posted 12-22-2007 02:27:01 PM
CCP was making a World of Darkness MMORPG. I'd be all down for that if it weren't to surely be overflowing with emo faggots with characters named Caine and Kaine and Kain and Kane and Caaine and Legolas.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 12-22-2007 04:50:14 PM
quote:
Mortious had this to say about the Spice Girls:
http://www.digg.com/pc_games/Elder_Scrolls_MMORPG_confirmed_2

If this is true, RIP WoW. A TES MMORPG would be like EverQuest 2 should've been. No one will want to play anything else.

Hahahahaha, you're such an idiot.

WoW got most of its players because the Warcraft Universe has actual backstory and lore reflected in the gameplay that makes a world that doesn't seem like a complete rip-off of Tolkien. Granted, a lot of that lore has been butchered and some of it is strikingly similar, but TES doesn't even attempt to be different from every other generic fantasy setting. It's the same shit: dark elves, light elves, wood elves, humans, etc. with furries thrown in.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 12-22-2007 06:50:51 PM
no u

I guess the WoW graphics just irk me. I'd rather play a generic fantasy setting that looks more realistic, but that's just me. That's why I play EVE Online. Not anything put out by SOE though, because they curse MMO's to dismal failure. EQ2 doesn't interest me in the slightest.

Different strokes for different folks. Will either be fantastic, or crap.

Mortious fucked around with this message on 12-22-2007 at 06:52 PM.

Gadani
U
posted 12-22-2007 08:06:26 PM
I'm going to stay with Vanguard.
Manticore
Not Much Fun Anymore
posted 12-22-2007 09:23:18 PM
WoW has over 9 million subscribers. The only thing that will dent its subscriptions is when Blizzard inevitably makes World of Starcraft.
"France tried to turtle, but Hitler did a tank rush before they were ready. Just shows how horribly unbalanced real life is. They should release a patch."
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 12-23-2007 12:07:10 AM
quote:
A sleep deprived Mr. Parcelan stammered:

WoW got most of its players because the Warcraft Universe has actual backstory and lore reflected in the gameplay that makes a world that doesn't seem like a complete rip-off of Tolkien. Granted, a lot of that lore has been butchered and some of it is strikingly similar, but TES doesn't even attempt to be different from every other generic fantasy setting. It's the same shit: dark elves, light elves, wood elves, humans, etc. with furries thrown in.

That's what got it originally. The rest of the people are playing because it's an MMO that is easy. (i.e. 90% of the retards that actually still play)

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 12-23-2007 12:10:42 AM
It's more enjoyable because it's easy
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 12-23-2007 12:15:28 AM
quote:
Kegwen had this to say about Tron:
It's more enjoyable because it's easy

Didn't say it wasn't, just said that's why they play.

I can't fucking stand MMOs anymore and I can still stomach WoW because there's actually some form of instant gratification.

Talonus
Loner
posted 12-23-2007 10:26:02 AM
The TES series does not lend itself well to being a MMO. User generated content, worlds that are affected by the player, god-like characters, making it easy for players to exploit the hell out of the game... None of that stuff fits in with a MMO. About the only saving grace is that Matt Firor (Mythic co-founder) is supposedly heading up the division that's creating this.
Liam
Swims in Erotic Circles
posted 12-24-2007 11:36:39 PM
Absolutely nothing is going to dethrone WoW at this point.
Steven Steve
posted 12-30-2007 03:13:02 AM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan painfully thought these words up:

Actually WoW got most of its players because Blizzard's games are so formulaic and overrated that each one has more or less been a patched version of the last until they had developed a large enough fan base that they could just rip off Warhammer/Lineage/City of Heroes and no one would even care because Blizzard is the ultimate [sic].

"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Steven Steve
posted 12-30-2007 03:15:34 AM
And yes, obviously a fake MMO of a mediocre series featuring Ghandi-like player models, LoTR-pisstake-storylines, broken game mechanics, and homogeneous environments will not stand up to the real, upbeat, happy Muppet-land filled with proper nouns and tried and true game design that is WoW.
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Skaw
posted 12-30-2007 03:28:08 AM
Stalwart Steve
Keepin it real.
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 12-30-2007 06:56:07 AM
quote:
Liam was naked while typing this:
Absolutely nothing is going to dethrone WoW at this point.

Blizzard is working on another MMORPG.

Just sayin'.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
nem-x
posted 12-30-2007 10:08:54 AM
which is pretty dumb imo

but pretty good for us

Noxhil2
Pancake
posted 12-30-2007 12:52:14 PM
quote:
Mortious was listening to Cher while typing:
Not anything put out by SOE though, because they curse MMO's to dismal failure. EQ2 doesn't interest me in the slightest.

I keep hearing EQ2 is really good now.

Willias
Pancake
posted 12-30-2007 01:19:31 PM
EQ2 wasn't bad, but RoK is kind of a flop.

From what I've seen, the group content in the expansion sucks, and there's more kill 10 birds quests than you could ever want.

That, and the itemization leaves a lot to be desired.

Bricktop
Old and Gay
posted 12-31-2007 10:49:32 AM
quote:
Stalwart Steve had this to say about Captain Planet:
Actually WoW got most of its players because Blizzard's games are so formulaic and overrated that each one has more or less been a patched version of the last until they had developed a large enough fan base that they could just rip off Warhammer/Lineage/City of Heroes and no one would even care because Blizzard is the ultimate [sic].

The only Blizzard game I had played before WoW was Diablo II and I got so bored of that halfway through that I used a character editor to make my character a mini-God so I could plow through the rest and see the pretty cut scenes.

KaLourin
Illanae's Stooge!
posted 12-31-2007 12:54:18 PM
quote:
Willias probably says this to all the girls:
EQ2 wasn't bad, but RoK is kind of a flop.

From what I've seen, the group content in the expansion sucks, and there's more kill 10 birds quests than you could ever want.

That, and the itemization leaves a lot to be desired.

Seriously. The gear in RoK is insane compared to the old world. Oh.. look I just got this lv 1 two-handed axe 8-13 damage with +6 STA and +7 STR AND 25 hps. Mage staves with +10 INT at level 10. Robes that add combat power regen and spell damage..

Dont make me slap you so hard your bucket spins around, and around,and stops sideways,thus confusing you, and making you run about London wearing your bucket, a g-string, and carrying a stick,smacking the ground while yelling "MAGICALLY DELICIOUS! MAGICALLY FUCKING DELICIOUS!"- {Tal} to Mortious
Hebrew 9:3- 'And the Lord said unto me, "Dude, there isn't a K in covenant."' - Snoota

This beer drops trou and fucks your mouth with pure hoppy goodness. - Karnaj
Willias
Pancake
posted 12-31-2007 01:43:38 PM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when KaLourin wrote:
Seriously. The gear in RoK is insane compared to the old world. Oh.. look I just got this lv 1 two-handed axe 8-13 damage with +6 STA and +7 STR AND 25 hps. Mage staves with +10 INT at level 10. Robes that add combat power regen and spell damage..

They tried to copy Burning Crusade. Except Blizzard was smart enough to not completely fuck up low level gear, and make sure that in the quests in Outland, every class and spec has upgrades to seek out.

Azymyth
Not gay; just weird
posted 01-01-2008 10:42:00 AM
Burning Crusade low level equipment is actually fairly even with the original content. There just happens to be more quests so you actually get more equipment rather than relying on mob-dropped grays/whites/occasional greens.

I brought my troll warrior to Silvermoon for a change from Durator and at 17, my equipment is actually mostly Blacksmithed.

I suffer from CRS: Can't Remember Shit.

Sig pic done by the very talented SJen!

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: