EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: 4th edition D&D
Razortooth Gnome
The Artist Formerly Known As Anklebiter
posted 11-18-2007 08:14:25 PM
I hope it dies.

I know this topic has been done before, but who's followed it since? Planescape is being completely raped, though it's not had much love since 3rd edition started.

From what I've read, there are no druids rangers, or gnomes. Elves are being renamed "Eladrin." Anything that doesn't relate to combat is being removed as well.

I hope that this information is wrong, but what I've seen from the WotC site is bad enough.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 11-18-2007 08:16:26 PM
You didn't get the memo? Everything is gradually being dumbed down for the ADD generation. TV, video games, books, movies, even pen and paper roleplay.

EVERYTHING

Mr. Parcelan
posted 11-18-2007 08:16:38 PM
why
Greenlit
posted 11-18-2007 08:41:23 PM
Go play GURPS and stop crying.
Willias
Pancake
posted 11-18-2007 10:49:40 PM
Just looking around on the 4th ed D&D forums, it sounds like WotC isn't releasing gnomes in the first Player Handbook, but instead are saving them for a second volume, along with the rest of the basic classes.

Which makes me wonder what the hell they're putting in the Player Handbook.

Also, Eladrin is just some classification of magic-based elves or some stupid shit like that.

Azymyth
Not gay; just weird
posted 11-18-2007 11:37:52 PM
It's WOTC's quest for more money: Divide the new rules in as many books as possible.
I suffer from CRS: Can't Remember Shit.

Sig pic done by the very talented SJen!

Alaan
posted 11-19-2007 02:11:09 AM
The rate they presently release books is staggering. FOr a while a group could keep up on the books if they felt so inclined. Unless you are rich that really isn't the case now.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 11-19-2007 02:03:02 PM
quote:
Channeling the spirit of Sherlock Holmes, Azymyth absently fondled Watson and proclaimed:
It's WOTC's quest for more money: Divide the new rules in as many books as possible.

Taking a lesson from GW.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Anakha's Wii
Pancake
posted 11-19-2007 02:21:23 PM
Well, dumbing shit down certainly is Games Workshop's plan for 40K. Fucking new Chaos codex.
"From the depths of my parent's basement, thy has truly struck a blow for nonconformity."
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 11-19-2007 02:32:05 PM
quote:
Anakha's Wii said:
Well, dumbing shit down certainly is Games Workshop's plan for 40K. Fucking new Chaos codex.

Why do you think I stopped playing when 3rd Edition came out?

You should've played 1st Edition, it wasn't even called WH40k and it took a whole day just for a small battle. Was fun.

Maradon!
posted 11-19-2007 05:43:09 PM
Sounds like nutball first ed. purists inventing stories about 4th ed. just to piss people off and drive them away from it.

At least that's my theory!

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 11-19-2007 05:53:11 PM
quote:
Maradon! wrote this stupid crap:
Sounds like nutball first ed. purists inventing stories about 4th ed. just to piss people off and drive them away from it.

At least that's my theory!

Thac0 was one of my favorite systems if only because of all the complicated math you did before battle (Like, adding and subtracting) to make your thac0 table.

Maradon!
posted 11-19-2007 05:55:36 PM
Also, who the hell cares about losing rangers? what a worthless class
Azymyth
Not gay; just weird
posted 11-19-2007 06:40:49 PM
Gnomes are infinitely more interesting than Halflings though.
I suffer from CRS: Can't Remember Shit.

Sig pic done by the very talented SJen!

Mr. Parcelan
posted 11-19-2007 07:15:34 PM
quote:
Verily, Maradon! doth proclaim:
Also, who the hell cares about losing rangers? what a worthless class

People will be offended, but yeah, you iz roight.

2nd Ed. Rangers were just fighters with spells and two-weapon fighting and the gay favored enemy. 3rd Ed. Rangers were the same while every other class got insanely cool. They remained stupid and shitty until 3.5.

Paper games shouldn't need patches.

Ferret
Poing! Poing!
posted 11-19-2007 07:46:28 PM
quote:
Delphi Aegis's account was hax0red to write:
Thac0 was one of my favorite systems if only because of all the complicated math you did before battle (Like, adding and subtracting) to make your thac0 table.

First edition dnd didn't have thaco.

Maradon!
posted 11-19-2007 09:11:47 PM
And what's stopping you from importing 3.5 gnomes? Rangers and druids would be a bit tougher because you'd have to keep a whole repertoire of spells balanced but definitely possible with a little work. Isn't that kinda the beauty of P&P?
Naimah
In a Fire
posted 11-19-2007 11:36:13 PM
God forbid someone becreative in a game intended to inspire creativity.
Zaeron
Pancake
posted 11-20-2007 12:07:34 AM
quote:
From the book of Maradon!, chapter 3, verse 16:
And what's stopping you from importing 3.5 gnomes? Rangers and druids would be a bit tougher because you'd have to keep a whole repertoire of spells balanced but definitely possible with a little work. Isn't that kinda the beauty of P&P?

well, in 4E, every race has a racial progression instead of just gaining abilities at first level. So every level in your class also gives you a racial level, with new racial abilities and so on. Which means that 3.5 races don't really just port over, you'd have to create a whole racial progression. From what I've read, race will be a much more important choice in 4E, too. Racial progressions aren't all +2 listen or whatever, some are amazingly good. So you'd have to be pretty good at balancing in order to do it.

At least, according to the dev talks I've read.

Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 11-21-2007 01:36:18 AM
quote:
Zaeron probably says this to all the girls:
well, in 4E, every race has a racial progression instead of just gaining abilities at first level. So every level in your class also gives you a racial level, with new racial abilities and so on. Which means that 3.5 races don't really just port over, you'd have to create a whole racial progression. From what I've read, race will be a much more important choice in 4E, too. Racial progressions aren't all +2 listen or whatever, some are amazingly good. So you'd have to be pretty good at balancing in order to do it.

At least, according to the dev talks I've read.

And... what's there to stop this currently, exactly? I've known at least two groups who had something similar in their house rules. It's not really hard to do.

Mooj fucked around with this message on 11-21-2007 at 01:36 AM.

Zaeron
Pancake
posted 11-21-2007 07:41:30 AM
quote:
Mooj wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
And... what's there to stop this currently, exactly? I've known at least two groups who had something similar in their house rules. It's not really hard to do.

I wasn't saying there was anything stopping people from doing exactly that, I simply meant that it wasn't just a matter of your DM saying "ok, gnomes exist in this world, using the same rules they had in 3.5", since races won't work at all the same way they did in 3.5.

Faelynn LeAndris
Lusty busty redheaded wood elf with sharp claws
posted 11-22-2007 03:33:37 AM
Sounds to me like it will more of the same as when 3rd Edition came out. It was dumbed down quite a bit to make it more learnable for the influx of DnD's renewed popularity.

I liked a lot about 2ed, but cannot deny I prefer 3ed (I'm rather good at adapting anything I liked from earlier systems anyway, which is what I usually did.) 1st Edition was a flat out chore, even though I still have all my 1st Edition manuals. Other than going back and re-adapting old monsters from that era that were left out, I don't even touch it.

This new edition sounds a bit more extreme in the realms of cutting out than 3rd edition did though. So I dunno. I probably wont bother with it anyway. I have everything I need with what I have, and my own imagination.

The release of Eberron kinda dampened my enthusiasm for world building anyway, so it's not that big of a deal to me anymore.

The girls are pretty much 3ed Kids because it's what we already have and what they are learning on. Plus being what Monica and I are most familiar with.

My LAUNCHCast Station
"Respect the Forest, Fear the Ranger"
I got lost for an hour and became god.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: