EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: FFT: The War of the Lions
Ferret
Poing! Poing!
posted 10-11-2007 02:05:47 AM
I like the new translation, feels kind of Shakespearish. The slowdown for abilities is annoying at first but you get used to it. Haven't gotten the new classes yet, but nothing else seems fucked so game is good to me.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 10-11-2007 02:15:46 AM
Howzabout the monster-scaling stuff?
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 10-11-2007 04:19:15 AM
What system is this for?
~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 10-11-2007 05:20:30 AM
PSP, and I heard that they really dumbed down the plot and made it more politically correct. Any truth to that?
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 10-11-2007 09:19:45 AM
quote:
Mooj was listening to Cher while typing:
PSP, and I heard that they really dumbed down the plot and made it more politically correct. Any truth to that?

What? No. It's just retranslated. Several have said that it's easier to understand the plot because of the more accurate translation. Maybe that's what you mean by "dumbed down."

I'm at the end of chapter 3 and getting my ass kicked

Alaan
posted 10-11-2007 09:59:42 AM
I hope you remember how terribly awkward the original translation was. Anything would be "simple" compared to that.
Zair
The Imp
posted 10-11-2007 11:51:20 AM
The original had some great lines that will be missed.

"Don't blame me. Blame yourself, or God."

Inferno-Spirit
Sports Advocate
posted 10-11-2007 12:06:15 PM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Zair wrote:
The original had some great lines that will be missed.

"Don't blame me. Blame yourself, or God."

What the hell do they translate that to?

"He lets the last Hungarian go, and he goes running. He waits until his wife and kids are in the ground and he goes after the rest of the mob. He kills their kids, he kills their wives, he kills their parents and their parents' friends. He burns down the houses they grew up in and the stores they work in, he kills people that owe them money. And like that he was gone. Underground. No one has ever seen him again. He becomes a myth, a spook story that criminals tell their kids at night. 'If you rat on your pop, Keyser Soze will get you.' And nobody really ever believes." - Roger 'Verbal' Kint, The Usual Suspects
Mr. Parcelan
posted 10-11-2007 12:32:32 PM
quote:
Inferno-Spirit had this to say about Pirotess:

"!!!!!"

Zair
The Imp
posted 10-11-2007 12:33:00 PM
quote:
Inferno-Spirit had this to say about Tron:

Apparently, "Forgive me. 'Tis your birth and your faith that wrong you, not I."

The dialogue is all flowery psuedo-Shakespeare now.

Zair fucked around with this message on 10-11-2007 at 12:33 PM.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 10-11-2007 12:34:21 PM
The new dialogue is great.
Inferno-Spirit
Sports Advocate
posted 10-11-2007 12:41:32 PM
I cannot support this change.

Although it would be nice to not have to read the word "dargon".

"He lets the last Hungarian go, and he goes running. He waits until his wife and kids are in the ground and he goes after the rest of the mob. He kills their kids, he kills their wives, he kills their parents and their parents' friends. He burns down the houses they grew up in and the stores they work in, he kills people that owe them money. And like that he was gone. Underground. No one has ever seen him again. He becomes a myth, a spook story that criminals tell their kids at night. 'If you rat on your pop, Keyser Soze will get you.' And nobody really ever believes." - Roger 'Verbal' Kint, The Usual Suspects
Alaan
posted 10-11-2007 05:56:55 PM
I have cleared two missions. Woo. So far liking the new translation. Seems much more coherent. The name changes were unexpected though.
Greenlit
posted 10-11-2007 06:42:26 PM
quote:
Inferno-Spirit thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:

Wow, they fucking ruined that line.

quote:
Inferno-Spirit had this to say about the Spice Girls:
I cannot support this change.

Although it would be nice to not have to read the word "dargon".

Daragon.

Don't forget the late-game chemist guns, either, whose names are fucking backwards. And the original game's tutorial is rendered completely useless by the first translation.

Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 10-11-2007 07:46:50 PM
The overall game is still fun to play, if not very suitable to the 15-20 minute bursts that portable games tend to lean towards. Tomorrow I'll be testing out the battle/co-op features with my nephew to see how it all runs.
My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 10-11-2007 08:24:55 PM
quote:
Greenlit Model 2000 was programmed to say:
Wow, they fucking ruined that line.

It makes a whole lot more sense in the context of the situation than the previous line.

Ferret
Poing! Poing!
posted 10-11-2007 08:28:49 PM
They did change that "end of first battle" scene into an actual cutscene. Now instead of looking over his shoulder at Ramza and saying the god line he says that to Ovelia after socking her in the gut.
Inferno-Spirit
Sports Advocate
posted 10-11-2007 08:29:04 PM
quote:
Greenlit impressed everyone with:
Daragon.

Don't forget the late-game chemist guns, either, whose names are fucking backwards. And the original game's tutorial is rendered completely useless by the first translation.

Pretty sure there was a "Dargon" in the third opening cinematic where they list off all the jobs and some of the monsters.

LeMiere
posted 10-11-2007 08:55:12 PM
I am extremely happy that the translation is coherent. I like the fact that I won't be reading "Rich" every time I summon the Grim Reaper.

That being said, there is no excuse for spelling words like "sir" differently because the writer wants to enrich the dialogue with an 'archaic' feel/dialect.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 10-11-2007 09:26:39 PM
quote:
Ferret wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
They did change that "end of first battle" scene into an actual cutscene. Now instead of looking over his shoulder at Ramza and saying the god line he says that to Ovelia after socking her in the gut.

The cutscene in question

Zair
The Imp
posted 10-11-2007 09:37:53 PM
quote:
How.... Kegwen.... uughhhhhh:
The cutscene in question

Those cut scenes are very nice looking.

Lets see:
FFT
Jeanne D'Arc (sp?)
Castlevania Rondo of Blood

Just need two or three more games to get me to rationalize buying a PSP slim this holiday.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 10-11-2007 09:39:08 PM
That Metal Gear game is pretty good, too. The one that isn't a stupid card game.

Also Square Enix has some pretty good stuff coming presumably next year

Azymyth
Not gay; just weird
posted 10-11-2007 10:06:54 PM
I had actually just brought out the original for a run through recently, heh. A better translation might be enough to get me to lean towards actually getting PSP soon.
I suffer from CRS: Can't Remember Shit.

Sig pic done by the very talented SJen!

Alaan
posted 10-11-2007 10:46:45 PM
Portable Ops is really good. And the expansion is coming out soon.
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 10-11-2007 11:09:59 PM
Tekken: Dark Ressurection is fantastic. FF2 is worth picking up, and obviously the Valkyrie Profile remake are neat. Disgaea's being ported to it. Riviera is good. Mega Man X and Mega Man Powered up are great. Y's: The Ark of Napishtim is excellent, but my copy has bad load times. I dunno if that's a common problem.

Basically there's a shitton of ports for it and if you're willing to go the custom firmware route, you can rip all your PSX games and play them on it making the PSP an RPG mega-system.

There's also like 6 rhythm games for it to import if you're into that.

Mr. Gainsborough fucked around with this message on 10-11-2007 at 11:10 PM.

Azymyth
Not gay; just weird
posted 10-11-2007 11:21:58 PM
Oh god yes.

Alaan
posted 10-11-2007 11:55:48 PM
Maybe I'm just crazy, but I use my PSP far more than my DS.
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 10-12-2007 12:00:36 AM
quote:
Alaan wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
Maybe I'm just crazy, but I use my PSP far more than my DS.

Well, if you stretch the bounds of legality on one system or the other, you're bound to see more use out of one of them.

Alaan
posted 10-12-2007 12:59:53 AM
I have a nice chunk of legal stuff on PSP I play!
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 10-12-2007 07:30:17 PM
I've enjoyed the Valkyrie Profile port immensely. Probably more than I liked the initial release, which is funny given that the only difference is I can take it with me.
Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 10-12-2007 07:36:06 PM
quote:
Alaan impressed everyone with:
I have a nice chunk of legal stuff on PSP I play!

I don't! But it's still a great system!

Zair
The Imp
posted 10-12-2007 07:53:18 PM
Forgot about the Valkyrie Profile port. Can add that to my list...

And, yeah, I like music/rhythm games a lot. I come back to Elite Beat Agents probably more than any other of my DS games.

(I've beaten every song on the Diva difficulty but I still can't S rank anything, arg)

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 10-12-2007 11:19:20 PM
Look up DJ Max Portable 1 and 2 and Taiko no Tatsujin Portable 1 and 2.

Also, to a lesser extent, Pump it Up: Exceed and Zero. Those have great music but subpar gameplay compared to the other two and it's a BITCH to unlock anything in.

Maradon!
posted 10-12-2007 11:42:02 PM
Anybody else see this thread as "War of the Loins"?
Azymyth
Not gay; just weird
posted 10-13-2007 12:34:44 AM
Got the PSP Daxter pack and Final Fantasy Tactics. Also reserved Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles. Next paycheck, I'll probably be getting a 4GB card and Valkyrie Profile.

I'm also considering Twisted Metal and Darkstalkers.

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 10-13-2007 03:27:16 AM
quote:
Azymyth got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
I'm also considering Twisted Metal and Darkstalkers.

Twisted Metal very no. Darkstalkers if you like the series, very yes.

I would suggest Street Fighter Alpha 3 MAX over Darkstalkers Chronicles, but that's your call.

Guilty Gear Judgement and Tekken: Dark Ressurection are the leading winners for 2D and 3D fighers respectively on the system. And Judgement has a kickin' rad side-scrolling brawler attached to it. (It's actually the main game and comes with #Reload on the side but who's keeping score?)

Azymyth
Not gay; just weird
posted 10-13-2007 04:37:33 AM
I'd probably get both Darkstalkers and Street Fighter because I enjoy both series. A portable Guilty Gear is always nice. Never been much of a Tekken fan though.

In the mean time, I'm content with FFT. I do hope the unlockable Fell Knight class has more than just Gaffgarion's two attacks. Would be kinda lame considering the requirements it apparently has.

Akiraiu Zenko
Is actually a giddy schoolgirl
posted 10-13-2007 04:38:29 AM
As far as retranslation is concerned, it'll be nice not seeing breath weapons translated as 'bracelet', too.
The artist formerly known as Zephyer Kyuukaze.
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 10-13-2007 05:54:10 AM
I keep reading the title as "The War of the Loins".

Ack.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Arttemis
Not Squire... but a guitar!
posted 10-13-2007 07:00:53 PM
I really like the new translation, but the actual gameplay is almost criminal, since framerate drops to next to nothing whenever you use an ability. Haven't tried either of the multiplayer modes yet.

EDIT: are Onion Knight and Fell Knight the only new classes?

Arttemis fucked around with this message on 10-13-2007 at 07:02 PM.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: