EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Printer Help!
Ares
posted 09-01-2007 02:56:33 PM
My BF just got me a new printer, a Canon MP530.

I've installed all of the software and the drivers, but when it tells me to connect the printer (USB connection) it tells me that it cannot find the printer. I've tried it both with the easy install and the manual install, and I still can't print.

Any suggestions? I really need to scan and print some stuff today in order to work on my thesis.

Maradon!
posted 09-01-2007 03:30:52 PM
1) When you plug in the USB cable, do you get the friendly little tone from windows indicating that new hardware has been found?

If yes, go to step 2. If no, try a different USB cable or a different USB port. If neither of these work, you have a faulty printer, and should go to step 4.

2) Do you get the hardware setup wizard popping up after the found new hardware tone?

If no, go to step 3. If yes, step through the hardware setup wizard. If it tells you it can't find the printer, you may have the wrong driver CD, or a faulty printer, and should go to step 4.

3) In control panel under "Printers and Faxes", is the printer listed?

If yes, DELETE any entries for that printer. If there are other printers listed that you are not using, DELETE those as well. Then reinstall the software that came with the printer. Make SURE that you do not plug the printer in until the software tells you to. If no, you probably have a faulty printer, and should go to step 4.

4) You are eaten by a manticore.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 09-01-2007 04:00:20 PM
Maradon should write "how to" guides.

Only thing I might add is that sometimes the USB cord comes damaged. We had to get a replacement for one once. Was like the line inside the cord was damaged or had too much line noise or something. So it's generally a decent idea to have an extra handy just for testing this sort of thing (they're pretty standard and cost like two bucks)

Also double-check the power line, cycle the printer on and off. Sometimes the printer wants to tell the computer something and the computer is on a different page of the greetings manual.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael fucked around with this message on 09-01-2007 at 04:01 PM.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Maradon!
posted 09-01-2007 04:07:42 PM
One of my duties at my new job is troubleshooting software and firmware issues with printers, because most of the people there are strictly mechanical in expertise and not so great with software issues.

Interesting fact: There is more money to be had in remanufacturing laser printer toner cartridges than in real estate investing. I used to call it "black gold" but that was kinda hackneyed, so now I like to call it "the world's worst heroin"

Mightion Defensor
posted 09-01-2007 04:29:41 PM
One, well, two, other things:

1. Are you plugging it into a powered or unpowered USB port? USB ports on a keyboard are usually unpowered, while a USB port on the computer itself are powered. Many devices require a powered USB port.

2. I don't know how old your pc is, so this is prolly a long shot, but does the printer require a USB 2.0 port, and if so, are the USB ports on your PC 2.0 as well? Your pc would have to be pretty old or manufactured by a cheapskate company (is it a Sony?) to not have 2.0 in this day and age.

Maradon!
posted 09-01-2007 05:22:49 PM
Every printer ever made has an external power supply, and wouldn't need a powered USB port.
Ares
posted 09-01-2007 05:35:56 PM
I've tried two different USB cords, tried three different USB ports (including the whole two that I have on my computer and a hub), I've even tried putting an adapter on and it still won't work... My computer IS old, I'm eventually going to be upgrading it quite a bit... The USB is not 2.0, I know that, which is why I tried an USB adapter on as well.

The printer works when I just use it as a stand alone copier. (it's one of those three in ones).

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 09-01-2007 05:43:24 PM
Check online to see if there are updated drivers.
Ares
posted 09-01-2007 05:45:45 PM
quote:
Naimah had this to say about Knight Rider:
Check online to see if there are updated drivers.

It's a new printer, came out earlier this year...I can look though.

Ares
posted 09-01-2007 05:48:40 PM
Seems that the printer came out last year, my bad. I'll see if this driver will install directly, rather than off the disk, the disk is really lame with their instructions, and it won't let me install the driver if it can't detect the printer.
Maradon!
posted 09-01-2007 05:51:27 PM
Even if the printer works as a standalone copier, the communications board may be fried.

There is no such thing as a USB 2.0 to USB 1.1 adapter, so I honestly don't know what you're referring to when you say you tried an adapter, however, checking Canon's web site, the printer works fine connected to a USB 1.1 port anyway, so the point is moot.

Yeah, try the downloaded drivers first.

The last thing I'd suggest doing is hooking the printer up to a different computer entirely. If it works on another computer, then the computer you are using is having an issue either with it's USB root hub or the printing stack or some bizarre shit like that, in either case you really need to reinstall windows.

If it does not work on the other computer, the printer has a bad comm board and you need to return it.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 09-01-2007 at 05:52 PM.

Ares
posted 09-01-2007 05:54:39 PM
Yeah, I have two other computers i can try it with, just if something's wrong with it cause we just bought it yesterday.

I meant an adapter to connect it to an entirely different port, you know, the ones that change a USB port into whatever...I don't know, I don't know hardware.

My USBs I think should be fine, since I've switched my hub around and it still works, and I've used my scanner with the USB I'm using and it worked fine... grr

Maradon!
posted 09-01-2007 05:56:54 PM
You probably used a USB to PS/2 adapter, which only ever works for keyboards and mice and nothing else.
Ares
posted 09-01-2007 06:04:25 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Duck Tales:
You probably used a USB to PS/2 adapter, which only ever works for keyboards and mice and nothing else.

Yeah, I did... Well, at least I tried something else.

Okay, I plugged my printer back in, and the USB do not disconnect thingy came up, so I clicked on that and it allowed me to start to install the printer, fax, and scanner drivers from there. Perfect, except that when I did that, it said that the "path is not specified" or something, and the wizard stopped. It found the drivers on the disk, but it wouldn't install them, it just said that.

Maradon!
posted 09-01-2007 06:16:43 PM
Sounds like a PEBKAC

When you say "usb do not disconnect thingy", I'm hoping you mean the found new hardware wizard in windows.

Do this:

1) Plug in your printer
2) When the add new hardware wizard comes up, select "Install from a list or specific location", click next
3) Click the dot for "Search for the best driver in these locations". Check both boxes under this option. Click "Browse", go to the driver CD, and if there's a folder named "Drivers" select it and click ok.
4) Click next until finished. If some crap about it being unsigned comes up, just select continue.

Ares
posted 09-01-2007 06:41:36 PM
No, the "do not disconnect" thingy.. You know, it comes up when you say, hook up your camera or something.. for some reason it came up with my printer...

I went through all of that, and it said that "path not specified" thing.

Maradon!
posted 09-01-2007 06:45:49 PM
this comes up on the printer or on your computer?

I have no idea what this is.

Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 09-01-2007 07:24:48 PM
quote:
Maradon! posted

this comes up on the printer or on your computer?

I have no idea what this is.

System tray in Windows, the icon indicating that there is hotplugged hardware connected. Double clicking on it brings up the dialog to stop devices and remove them safely.

Maradon!
posted 09-01-2007 07:29:16 PM
I know that icon, but I don't recall it ever telling me not to unplug anything. It just shows up when the happy little "doo-dum" is played.
Alaan
posted 09-02-2007 01:54:25 AM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Optimus Prime:
I know that icon, but I don't recall it ever telling me not to unplug anything. It just shows up when the happy little "doo-dum" is played.

I think you are mixing up system icons.

I think she's speaking of that. Though her computer might just be retarded because I've never had that come up for anything besides hard drives or hard drive based devices like an iPod.

Ares
posted 09-02-2007 09:39:58 AM
My BF got it to work while I was sleeping last night. He ended up downloading generic Microsoft drivers instead of using Canon's.
Naimah
In a Fire
posted 09-02-2007 12:50:51 PM
It's always the drivers.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: