EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Labyrinth 3 interest check
Mr. Parcelan
posted 03-31-2007 10:22:45 PM
So, the last Labyrinth, due to some uninvolvement on my part and some needless complexities that come with trying something new, could have gone better. This thread is here to see what interest would be in a third Labyrinth game given some new changes.

The Backstory
The province of Addystonia was heralded as blessed by all gods of harvest and life when it was established a mere thirty years ago. Pioneered by an enterprising young noble, Countess Addy, a farm became a village, a village became a town, a town became a city. At the heart of this burgeoning trade metropolis was the famed Spire of Addystonia, a tower that was said to be commissioned by Katrinitu herself so that the Countess may speak with the gods.

But it was mortals who built the town and tower and, at the head of them all, was Sean the Stonemason. The strong fellow crafted the Spire from the finest stones and timber. When it was time to lay the final stone atop the tower to complete it, though, Sean was suddenly struck dead.

Divine intervention? Had Addy's attempt to reach the heavens angered the gods? Only the dwellers above truly knew. Perhaps they were enraged enough, though, to strike Addy with the madness that gripped her following the death of Sean.

The farms died out, livestock plagued and crops withering. The town became a gruesome shell. Addy locked away herself and her servants in the tower, never to emerge for thirty years.

It was only with the news that a nearby city had fell after being consumed by a violent cult war that Addy appeared again at her balcony. Withered, ancient, madness in her eyes, she proclaimed the degenerate masses below: "Whoever can show me that they are crueler than these gods that struck my city down shall have my heart."

The Heart of Addy, a well-known dread relic, has been the object of covet for many peoples, cults and divine beings. And, while the Gods Above may have spurned Addy, the Gods Below watch her with eager eyes...

What's Gone?

Cooperative play: Too complex to tally up glory and so forth. This one will be FFA. Factions are still around, but are treated more as races, and will be determined randomly.

Merchant squares: Boring. We'll use a defacto merchant that players can visit.

Attack rolls: Needlessly complex. There's a new PvP system that's pretty fun.

What's New?

More squares, more traps, more awesomeness.

New PvP System: Attack rolls were needlesly complex and boring. The new PvP system works on a rock-paper-scissors theory.

Each faction has three types of classes (Sorceror, Warrior, Assassin) and three strengths varying (Chosen, Acolyte, Peon). The system works as such: Assassin beats Sorceror, Sorceror beats Warrior, Warriors beats Assassin. A Chosen defeats an Acolyte or a Peon rank, an Acolyte beats a Peon.

So, for example, since the Quietmen pride themselves on their deadly way, they have Chosen Assassins, Acolyte Warriors and Peon Casters. If a Quietman Assassin meets a Waychanger Assassin, the Quietman wins. There are also powers that can be used to affect play.

A Classes Rundown: Classes are based on faction. Faction is determined randomly, but classes can be chosen by players.

The Quietmen: Them (Chosen Assassins), Groundskeepers (Acolyte Warriors), Dreadlings (Peon Sorcerers).

The Waychangers: Mad Prophets (Chosen Sorcerers), Anarchists (Acolyte Assassins), Baattii Nomads (Peon Warriors).

His Glorious Hands: Brother Butchers (Chosen Warriors), Doomsayers (Acolyte Sorcerers), Felons (Peon Assassins).

Powers: Each class has its own brand of powers that can be used once per day. The Chosen classes have a single, solitary ability that can cause havoc upon those that they meet in battle, but have no abilities when it comes to adventuring. The Acolyte classes have two abilities, one for fighting other players and one for amplifying their own power. The Peon classes have three abilities, one rather unimpressive one that they can fight with and two that assist with adventuring.

Class Preview

Them

It was only after the city fell that the Sixfold Shroud's intentions were made known. Beneath the city hall, there lay a complex underground catacombs bathed in darkness. What lurked beneath there? Only the Sixfold Shroud know, for only the Six went beneath to see. While they went down with six, though, they came up with hundreds.

Who are They? Only the Sixfold Shroud knows, and they are not telling. Some suggest that they are necromantic animations, though it would not explain their free-willedness and bizarre strength. Others suggest that they are beings composed of pure darkness, precursors to the Quietmen's attempts to bring their dread god into the mortal world.

They appear silently, not even making a single noise from their footsteps or breath, swaddled in funeral shrouds and wearing decorative death masks. The only part of their bodies visible is their hands: pitch black, nails hard as iron.

They lead the invasion of Addystonia for the Quietmen, acting on tips given from the Groundskeepers. They came over the walls in the night and swarmed towards the Spire, each one eager to claim the Heart of Addy for Them.

Horrify: By removing their Death Masks, They can invoke the powers of Blackenoth himself. They can use this ability once per day and use it to drive a foe in the same space as they into any square up to three spaces up or down. Many a brave adventurer has found themselves driven into traps or even other Them by one of these feared assassins. Using this ability gains Them Cruelty and Health points.

So who's interested?

Goma
Pancake
posted 03-31-2007 10:36:59 PM
Quite interested. I find these forum-based dice rolling games to be very entertaining. I was even quite satisfied with the previous Labyrinth, despite the impromptu rule changing and lax administration.
Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 03-31-2007 11:29:16 PM
Totally interested in this. Count me in.
Skaw
posted 03-31-2007 11:40:46 PM
Refine and place the rules in stone before things get started this time and I'll play. Two times of shit just changing mid-game is enough.
Gadani
U
posted 04-01-2007 12:30:49 AM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Mooj wrote:
Totally interested in this. Count me in.
Blackened
posted 04-01-2007 06:22:56 AM
Of course Blackenoth's Avatar must walk the lands once more for his God.

The new combat/class system sounds promising. Sounds like a lot of work to flesh out all of the details, though. I only ask the same thing Skaw mentioned. Set everything in stone before you start the game.

Here's an idea: If you ever get bored enough to start yet another Labyrinth-type game, make it a trilogy of sorts, where more than just the storyline carries over to the next game. An example being things you accomplish in the previous game for your faction will help your team out in the next game.

Speaking of classes, how do you justify members of the same faction squaring off? Also, what about situations such as: Chosen Assassin lands on the same spot as a Chosen Warrior and a Chosen Sorcerer?

Also, be extra sure to clarify timing effects before you launch the game. You'll obviously be including items, so when, exactly, can they be used? When can Chosen-type classes use their abilities in combat?

I want to stress the point that I really hope this goes off without a hitch. These games are greatly entertaining.

Blackened fucked around with this message on 04-01-2007 at 06:23 AM.

Although my distaste for you as a human being is brobdingnagian,
what I'm about to do isn't personal.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 04-01-2007 07:10:08 AM
As for timing, the theory thus far is to not update as we go, but rather tally everything at the end of the day, so there's no real advantage or disadvantage to rolling first and it can become more tactical.

The class system sort of goes like this: Powers override Class, Class overrides Rank, Rank is the determinent when it comes to twin-class.

So, if one of Them lands on the same square as an Anarchist, They win by default, since They are Chosen and the Anarchist is Acolyte. Rank is the determinent.

If They land on the same square as a Baatti Nomad, They automatically lose (assuming that They have used their power already or that They can't use it somehow).

So, if one of Them lands on the same square as a Baatti Nomad and They haven't used their Horrify power yet, They can use it to end the battle and drive the Baatti Nomad away.

However, that would also mean that They are screwed if a different Warrior class shows up, but there would still be the HP/Cruelty gain from using the power.

As for members of the same faction fighting...

The Quietmen Attack

The Sixfold Shroud made the declaration moments before the first members of Them climbed the wall: the Heart of Addy must be won, by any means necessary. For Them, this was as easy as reaching over to the first Groundskeeper and tearing him apart. The Groundskeepers, betrayed by the Shroud's elite agents, quickly retreated to preserve their lives. The Dreadlings sneaking in the back, eager to prove themselves, have already decided that the quickest way to prove their power to Blackenoth is to best both the covert Groundskeepers and the elite Them.

The March of Madness

After being driven out of the city, the Waychangers were lost. Their greatest prophets had been lost in the battle, they were leaderless and without purpose. Though convinced that Ja'Gorgo had not abandoned them, they departed anyway and began the March of Madness: an aimless pilgrimage across the deserts. Joined by the deposed nobles who called themselves Anarchists, they quickly subjugated the local nomad tribes into following them.

On the beginning of the second month, they recieved a sign. In two voices, Ja'Gorgo spoke into the minds of his followers and declared that a new prophet must be decided and he shall reign over his fellows. At that moment, a scout returned to declare that nearby Addystonia had just been invaded by the Quietmen. Seeing this as a sign, the Waychangers took off at a ravenous pace to claim the Heart of Addy, convinced that whatever happened, whoever had to die, was the will of Ja'Gorgo.

The Exiled Ones

After their near defeat at the fallen city, the members of His Glorious Hands returned to their mountain monasteries to pray and to seek Bajagon's wisdom. One faction, however, could not forgive the slight delivered them by their age-old nemeses: the Quietmen. The Brother Butchers, a fanatical sect of devoted and violent monks, followed the path of devastation left by the Quietmen. Those survivors left became Doomsayers, forlorn prophets convinced that only the Battle God could spare them. Those degenerates lucky enough to survive, exiles, prisoners, death sentenced felons, were offered a choice: convert or die.

The Countess had long been a friend to the Battle God and the Brother Butchers expected to find a friend ready to aid them. When they arrived, they found their stronghold monastery destroyed and burned. Whatever conclusions could have been made, the Brother Butchers made theirs first and declared that a Quietman agent had infiltrated their ranks. If one, they reasoned, why not more? In their fanaticism, the Hands turned on each other in a horrible brawl. Now, each one convinced that they are the only true servant of Bajagon, they seek the Heart of Addy to prove their devotion and their truth.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 04-01-2007 12:51:05 PM
I'm in, if a 6-9 hour time difference won't screw me.
To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Oreowned
My friends call me 'Wiggles'
posted 04-01-2007 08:00:27 PM
I'd play dis.
Norim Stumpfighter
Milkmaid
posted 04-02-2007 11:37:58 AM
yessir
Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 04-02-2007 11:39:36 AM
Sure, I'll give it a try

Khyron fucked around with this message on 04-02-2007 at 11:41 AM.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 04-02-2007 11:43:45 AM
Makes my package dribble, I want to play so bad.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Aury
My hair is a deadly weapon
posted 04-02-2007 01:27:52 PM
I'm game.
Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 04-02-2007 01:46:34 PM
Where are all these people for my game, hmm? hahah

Of course I'm in. You need someone to do all the paperwork, after all.

Greenlit
posted 04-02-2007 09:50:21 PM
It's more or less "iron that shit out and I'm game" over here too, of course.
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 04-03-2007 04:46:00 AM
If it will look at least almost as good as Bajah's game, I'm in too.

For the Quietmen!

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Inferno-Spirit
Sports Advocate
posted 04-03-2007 06:24:33 PM
I'd rather see another season of Bajah's game.

I'd still play.

"He lets the last Hungarian go, and he goes running. He waits until his wife and kids are in the ground and he goes after the rest of the mob. He kills their kids, he kills their wives, he kills their parents and their parents' friends. He burns down the houses they grew up in and the stores they work in, he kills people that owe them money. And like that he was gone. Underground. No one has ever seen him again. He becomes a myth, a spook story that criminals tell their kids at night. 'If you rat on your pop, Keyser Soze will get you.' And nobody really ever believes." - Roger 'Verbal' Kint, The Usual Suspects
Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 04-03-2007 06:54:18 PM
wait, what's all this talk about Bajah's game? Did I miss something?
Inferno-Spirit
Sports Advocate
posted 04-03-2007 08:03:53 PM
Bajah has an awesome labyrinth-style game running in the daoc forums and the latest season just ended.

Unfortunately it got shit for attendance even though most of the forum seems to like the idea.

"He lets the last Hungarian go, and he goes running. He waits until his wife and kids are in the ground and he goes after the rest of the mob. He kills their kids, he kills their wives, he kills their parents and their parents' friends. He burns down the houses they grew up in and the stores they work in, he kills people that owe them money. And like that he was gone. Underground. No one has ever seen him again. He becomes a myth, a spook story that criminals tell their kids at night. 'If you rat on your pop, Keyser Soze will get you.' And nobody really ever believes." - Roger 'Verbal' Kint, The Usual Suspects
Blackened
posted 04-03-2007 08:05:24 PM
quote:
Inferno-Spirit.
Bajah has an awesome labyrinth-style game running in the daoc forums and the latest season just ended.

Unfortunately it got shit for attendance even though most of the forum seems to like the idea.

This is because Bajah promoted it the wrong way and decided that separating it from the main forum was a good idea (it wasn't).

Inferno-Spirit
Sports Advocate
posted 04-03-2007 08:15:19 PM
quote:
Blackened wrote this stupid crap:
This is because Bajah promoted it the wrong way and decided that separating it from the main forum was a good idea (it wasn't).

To my knowledge, the seperation occured mainly because he is an active moderator of the daoc forums. Given that people such as Delidgamond commit (and he did, although not maliciously so) massive amounts of spamming retardation all over the threads, it helps to have the person running the game with moderation powers.

Blackened
posted 04-03-2007 08:22:51 PM
quote:
Inferno-Spirit.
To my knowledge, the seperation occured mainly because he is an active moderator of the daoc forums. Given that people such as Delidgamond commit (and he did, although not maliciously so) massive amounts of spamming retardation all over the threads, it helps to have the person running the game with moderation powers.
That is horrible justification. None of the Labyrinth games have been trolled or spammed or anything of the sort.

Inferno-Spirit
Sports Advocate
posted 04-03-2007 09:14:40 PM
quote:
Blackened had this to say about (_|_):
That is horrible justification. None of the Labyrinth games have been trolled or spammed or anything of the sort.

I realize that the other forum did hamper the game's attendance.

It seems, reading this thread and having participated in previous labyrinth games, that the organization/moderation of the game was a big complaint. Days meshed, rules changed, etc. These were not issues in Bajah's game, partly due to moderation, and partly due to different threads for each day of the game, rolling tables, rules, etc.

Ozimander
$$$$$$$$$$$
posted 04-04-2007 11:02:27 AM
I'm in. I love this stuff.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 04-04-2007 12:44:52 PM
When will it start? I'm on vacation next week, and so it must start after that. . .though I'm spending a week in Vietnam the week after the week after next. So get the timing right, dammit!

Aaron (the good one)
posted 04-04-2007 12:51:50 PM
Do it next week, then take a one week hiatus, and continue on after that.
Galbadia Hotel - Video Game Music
I am Canadian and I hate The Tragically Hip
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 04-04-2007 01:06:53 PM
quote:
Channeling the spirit of Sherlock Holmes, Delidgamond absently fondled Watson and proclaimed:
Do it next week, then take a one week hiatus, and continue on after that.

And the horse you rode in on, buddy!

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: