EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: It's the Biannual College Classes thread
Mr. Parcelan
posted 11-13-2006 02:46:59 PM
November means registration for most colleges are open and people go pouring into the classes, eager to get a spot.

I just recently switched my major from Journalism to English, though I may add it as another major later, thus doubling my uselessness. At any rate, I've discovered a few good classes to take.

Here's my schedule:

-Film as Literature (looks awesome)

-Introduction to Literature (the Rhetoric classes were closed; too bad, I really wanted to take one of them)

-The Principles of the Written Argument (I already know how to destroy people emotionally)

-Intermediate Poetry Writing (I like the professor)

-First Year German (I have to take another Foreign Language and Chinese and Japanese were closed. I hate Spanish, so that left German or French and it seems more likely that Germany will start another war and I can serve as a translator before I ever visit France again)

So, what are you taking?

Norim Stumpfighter
Milkmaid
posted 11-13-2006 03:01:44 PM
nothing, i graduated in june... with a shitty degree. I'm now more unemployable than ever!
Naimah
In a Fire
posted 11-13-2006 03:04:48 PM
Electronic Devices, Political Theory, Wireless Communications, and Discrete Math. Three days a week I have no class.

Naimah fucked around with this message on 11-13-2006 at 03:12 PM.

Greenlit
posted 11-13-2006 03:11:04 PM
I'm taking..

A nap.

Oreowned
My friends call me 'Wiggles'
posted 11-13-2006 03:13:56 PM
Chemistry 111
Biology 213
Math 104
Religion and Magic
Intro to Sociology

Bam! Monday's are straight through no breaks from 10am-8pm. Don't major in Biology kids, it ain't a picnic.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 11-13-2006 03:24:07 PM
A cock in my ass. Har har.

Seriously, though, work work work work work work until I'm senile.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 11-13-2006 05:03:49 PM
quote:
Oreowned had this to say about Knight Rider:
Chemistry 111
Biology 213
Math 104
Religion and Magic
Intro to Sociology

Bam! Monday's are straight through no breaks from 10am-8pm. Don't major in Biology kids, it ain't a picnic.

You're taking a class called 'Religion and Magic', I don't think you're allowed to complain.

Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 11-13-2006 05:37:58 PM
I'm getting out of college.

Then I'm going to Embry-Riddle to get my associate's in Aviation Electronics and Engineering. And while I am doing that, I will get my A&P license. After that, I shall take more classes in the electrician's field. I am also working on my Journeyman's certification.

When I get out of the military, I am looking at about $60k entry level.

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
nem-x
posted 11-13-2006 06:10:33 PM
Strategic Management
Managerial Financial
Business and Society

Then I'm done with my mba.. oh god I have to take that exit exam too

Noxhil2
Pancake
posted 11-13-2006 06:10:55 PM
I'm not really sure. I might try a semester of engineering or I might do a semester of Economics. So I'm either looking at

Quantitative & Analytical Chemistry II + Lab(CHM2046 + L)
Physics II + Lab(PHY 2049 + L)
Calculus III(MAC2213)
Principles of Microeconomics (ECO2013)

or

International Macroeconomics (ECO3704)
Game Theory and Applications (ECO3731)
Principles of Microeconomics (ECO2013)
Government Regulation of Business (ECP4403)
Calculus III (MAC2213)

Oreowned
My friends call me 'Wiggles'
posted 11-13-2006 06:20:10 PM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Naimah said:
You're taking a class called 'Religion and Magic', I don't think you're allowed to complain.

It fufills a gen-ed requirement and it's a class in a lecture hall! I wanna take at least one of those in my college career.

Razor
posted 11-13-2006 07:13:55 PM
"Easy" semester ahead:
Phys 400B (Classical E&M, non-statics)
ASTRO 350 (Astronomical Techniques using FORTRAN, IRAF, etc. with CCD systems.)
ASTRO 498A (Senior Research/Thesis) - Studying HD81270
MATH 342B (Mathmatics for scientists, covering ODE's and some PDE's)

10 units total so far.... need 2 more for insurance purposes......

Astronomy is a passion...
Engineering is a love...
My job isn't a job, it's my career, and I love every minute of it: Observatory Superintendent
Kinanik
Upset about being titless
posted 11-13-2006 07:23:11 PM
Econ of Environmental Protection
Currents in 20th Century Economics
Intermediate Macroeconomics
Managerial Economics
Linear Algebra
History of Sports in America

I'm killing off most of my Econ classes this semester, so I can concentrate on my History major next year (Double Major, history/econ, plus a math minor)

Gully Foyle is my name
And Terra is my nation
Deep space is my dwelling place
The stars my destination
Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 11-13-2006 08:25:26 PM
I don't know what I'm taking next semester, but I'm really wishing I could change my major to Astronomy. I've been loving my Stars and Galaxies class and the one I had last semester was great as well. It's just a survey type class, but it really makes me want to learn the ins and outs of things.

The only drawback is I just don't see a future in Astronomy here in Indy. So I'll probably stick with becoming a sys admin and keep Astronomy as my hobby.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Janus.
I am not a woman
posted 11-13-2006 08:46:01 PM
Art Appreciation II: History of Modern Art
3D Design
Digital Still Imaging
Cold War World
Comparative Religions

should be a fun semester.

Monica
I've got an owie on my head :(
posted 11-13-2006 08:56:21 PM
I haven't enrolled yet. I have to get instructor approval for all of my major classes, and I don't want to fuck with gen-eds until I have my major classes done.

I keep putting it off. I'm starting to wonder if I belong in college in the first place.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 11-13-2006 09:14:19 PM
quote:
Monica thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:
I haven't enrolled yet. I have to get instructor approval for all of my major classes, and I don't want to fuck with gen-eds until I have my major classes done.

I keep putting it off. I'm starting to wonder if I belong in college in the first place.

Fuck with Gen Ed first. Trust me.

If you wait until later, you'll hate it because of all the freshman idiots in the classes. Do it before that

Razor
posted 11-13-2006 09:18:18 PM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Falaanla Marr wrote:

If you wait until later, you'll hate it because of all the freshman idiots in the classes. Do it before that

I agree fully.

Engineering is a love...
My job isn't a job, it's my career, and I love every minute of it: Observatory Superintendent
Pvednes
Lynched
posted 11-13-2006 10:21:29 PM
Advanced Molecular Biology: Modern Concepts and Applications,
Molecular Medicine and Biotechnology,
Medical Genetics and Molecular Biology.
BetaTested
Not gay, but loves the cock!
posted 11-13-2006 10:27:57 PM
Micro Econ
Uses of Accounting
Brief Calculus
Statistical Analysis.

I'm taking Breif Calc currently, but not getting much of it, and with all honesty am probably set to fail it miserably now, with a D by the skin of my teeth being a far off hope. So we'll do it again, hopefully better.

But as a change from the past year and a half, it's all at the ASU West campus, meaning it's a hop skip and a jump from home, instead of a 27.5 mile commute. I can quite happily walk the 2 miles or so to classes, for the beginning of the semester at least, then it'll get too fuckin hot.

It'll run me 11am to 3:15 with no breaks on MW, and a second helping of 6:30 to 9:15 on Wednesdays for the final 3 credits. I'm quite pleased, at least until I have to tell my ole man I am gonna fail Brief Calc.

Got Xfire? Join me in the crusade to knock WoW from it's lofty #1 most played Xfire game with Solitare!
Monica
I've got an owie on my head :(
posted 11-14-2006 01:47:27 AM
quote:
Falaanla Marr had this to say about dark elf butts:

No, I mean on my actual schedule. They don't let me pick what major classes they put me in, so I don't know what my schedule is going to look like until then. Then I get to build my gen eds around that.

I actually have the majority of my gen eds done. I think I have like 3 classes left to take.

Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 11-14-2006 01:48:34 AM
quote:
Falaanla Marr posted

It's fun to fuck with the freshmen. Hearing the lecture about how this "isn't high school anymore" never ceases to crack me up.

I feel compelled to contribute, even though I already did in the other thread.

CPE 464 - Intro to Computer Networks
The professor is fresh out of UCSD with his PhD (I have him this quarter for algorithms) and specializes in wireless networks. I have a feeling he'll be out to destroy us. It's a coding-heavy class though and I'm looking forward to it.

CPE 453 - Intro to Operating Systems (waitlisted)
I really really really really hope I can crash this class, because otherwise my tech electives are going to be fucked up for graduation. The actual class doesn't sound difficult, since it's *nix based and I'm a huge linux nerd already.

ES 212 - Global Origins of US Cultures
Horrible GE I'm required to take for our "US Cultural Pluralism" requirement. Horrible time (WF 4-6 PM). May just drop it, I haven't decided yet.

TH 310 - Women's Theater
I've had the professor before (which is the only reason I even considered taking it) and hope it'll be an interesting class, instead of just a lot of bullshit. We'll see.

CSC 491 - Senior Project Lab I
Starting the Senior Project track. I've pretty much accomplished more than enough to write about (provided I actually can...fucking NDAs) but just need to get with an advisor and bang it out.

All in all, it should be more interesting than this quarter--I'm only taking 12 units and to be honest, the lack of a challenge is more of a problem than anything. Getting close to graduation--I could technically finish this year, but that would require a nasty spring quarter, so I'll probably graduate next fall. Fucking scary, too...need to start looking for Computer Science jobs.

Alidane fucked around with this message on 11-14-2006 at 01:51 AM.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 11-14-2006 01:50:41 AM
quote:
Alidane thought about the meaning of life:
TH 310 - Women's Theater
I've had the professor before (which is the only reason I even considered taking it) and hope it'll be an interesting class, instead of just a lot of bullshit. We'll see.

Even if it is a lot of bullshit, you are forbidden from dropping that class, ESPECIALLY if it's a lot of bullshit. The intelligent survive and the stubborn thrive. It is your duty to destroy those people.

Pvednes
Lynched
posted 11-14-2006 03:16:14 AM
It's like those schools where you have to write your English essay blinkered by marxist or feminist ideology. I really hate that.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 11-14-2006 03:56:17 AM
quote:
Pvednes painfully thought these words up:
It's like those schools where you have to write your English essay blinkered by marxist or feminist ideology. I really hate that.

You can actually bring the hammer down hard on people like that. One thing that the Republican persecution complex has brought is a big fear of biased professors shoving their beliefs down students' throats.

Over here, anyway, you can have a professor reprimanded and watched for that sort of stuff. I don't know how it is in Australia.

Mr. Parcelan fucked around with this message on 11-14-2006 at 03:56 AM.

Pvednes
Lynched
posted 11-14-2006 04:23:08 AM
It's been an epidemic in schools as of late. VCE exams with questions like, "Discuss X and Y from a Marxist or Feminist perspective."

I thankfully missed out on that happy horseshit, but it's still disgusting.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 11-14-2006 09:05:05 AM
BFD. I viewed it as an intellectual exercise when I had to do that, you know, like when you argue against one of your firmest opinions.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Maradon!
posted 11-14-2006 10:18:26 AM
quote:
x--KarnajO-('-'Q) :
BFD. I viewed it as an intellectual exercise when I had to do that, you know, like when you argue against one of your firmest opinions.

But those are stupid.

I don't hold any ideals without knowing for certain that they're true, so in order to argue against them I'd have to form arguments that I know for a fact are a false.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 11-14-2006 at 10:18 AM.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 11-14-2006 10:34:31 AM
But, generally speaking, you can be wrong, or base your conclusions on incomplete evidence, even remaining completely certain that you're correct. Examining the opposite gives you a better chance of missing nothing and thus making your position more certain.

EDIT: ACH! TOO MANY PERIODS!

Karnaj fucked around with this message on 11-14-2006 at 10:36 AM.

Beer.

Noxhil2
Pancake
posted 11-14-2006 07:02:14 PM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:

Over here, anyway, you can have a professor reprimanded and watched for that sort of stuff. I don't know how it is in Australia.

Things like this are stupid; I don't really understand the entire right wing persecution complex. I wrote a rather long paper on the revival of U.S. conservatism starting with Reagan, and back then it seemed a legitimate way to mobilize supporters but now it's just silly.

If you are that convicted in your beliefs, you should be able to write very strong arguments, and address all reasonable counterpoints. If your professor still tears your paper apart, you more than likely need to do a better job. It's always possible a professor is irreconcilably biased, but that should be incredibly easy to prove if its the case. If you can't do that, (make a strong, supported argument, or prove your case) Karnaj pointed out that it's an intellectual exercise to begin to understand opposing viewpoints.

There is no such thing as a bulletproof ideal. Truth is merely a matter of perspective.

Razor
posted 11-14-2006 08:36:10 PM
quote:
Noxhil2 Model 2000 was programmed to say:
Things like this are stupid...

That process works though, and for many good reasons. I helped back at my previous college on a removal of a professor that was bigotted and ultra-biased. Using some statistical analysis, we showed that he unfairly graded students work based on their race and gender, as compared to all of his peers. the process is well worth time it takes.

Departmental review of professors is standard here, and lends to an acadmeys performance.

*Department is undergoing review atm for NSF funding purposes*

Engineering is a love...
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 11-14-2006 09:45:26 PM
Jewelerymaking/Metalworking

History of Great Britain

History of American Film (3 hour night class about watching movies )

Descriptive Astronomy

I guarantee 2 of these classes I will be wide awake and awesome in and the other 2 I will sleep through. Every class.

It will rock.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 11-14-2006 10:24:08 PM
LAST SEMESTER WOO.

Media Law and Ethics (Fuck this required 400-level course being at 9 in the morning. On MWF. Fucks with my going home for the weekend. Sad.)
Popular Culture (Online Course.)
The Family (Online Course. My girlfriend said it was an interesting class and the past two she recommended were good)
Fitness Walking
Golf (Have to fill my two PEs)

One credit short -- debating between either a 1-credit deal with the school paper or doing an independent study.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 11-28-2006 10:43:28 PM
OMG, I rez the thread!

I decided I'm changing my major to physics.

So far:

Mechanics
Classical Mythology (Comparative Cultures requirement)
Calculus (although there's a registration bug I need to work out)
Beginning Piano (cause I needed a couple more hours for full time)

Since IUPUI doesn't offer a straight Astronomy degree, Physics is the closest I'm going to get.

Ares
posted 11-28-2006 10:52:13 PM
Illustration 4
Drawing and Painting for Illustrations 2 (plus lab course)
Media Studio 4
The History of Roccoco and Baroque
Think Tank (economical design, this, however I may not have to take)
Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 11-28-2006 11:09:17 PM
Only bad thing is I have Saturday classes yet again >.<

Kermitov
Pancake
posted 11-29-2006 12:15:50 AM
quote:
Azakias had this to say about John Romero:
I'm getting out of college.

Then I'm going to Embry-Riddle to get my associate's in Aviation Electronics and Engineering. And while I am doing that, I will get my A&P license. After that, I shall take more classes in the electrician's field. I am also working on my Journeyman's certification.

When I get out of the military, I am looking at about $60k entry level.

As an electrician? or an A&P mechanic?

Gadani
U
posted 11-29-2006 12:28:56 AM
Hooray, I've applied to a college and I should start this spring. I think.
Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 11-29-2006 12:54:39 AM
quote:
Lyinar Ka`Bael posted

OMG, I rez the thread!

I decided I'm changing my major to physics.

So far:

Mechanics
Classical Mythology (Comparative Cultures requirement)
Calculus (although there's a registration bug I need to work out)
Beginning Piano (cause I needed a couple more hours for full time)

Since IUPUI doesn't offer a straight Astronomy degree, Physics is the closest I'm going to get.

I hope you enjoy getting mindfucked, because my Physics-major friend sure does hate life right now!

Kael
Whistlepig
posted 11-29-2006 02:32:47 AM
Winter: Continuation of Karate training, rediscovery of Kenpo, Kendo.

Spring: English 2 Honors, Creative Writing, Math, more Karate.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: