EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: What happened to older superheroes?
Anakha
my standards skyrocket when im on my keyboard heh
posted 09-23-2006 01:14:11 PM
Im just curious. Its a topic that came to mind at work, because before i went to work, i happened to catch the new WB show, Legion of Superheroes. Its like the Justice League, except with a bunch of crappy superheroes, and in THE FUTURE! But, thinking about it, one thing bugged me. All of the superheroes were teenagers. And ive noticed a slow trend of not having older superheroes. We had that crappy Batman Beyond, and Teen Titans, and now this. Where have all the old superheroes gone?
"Buzz Beer, the beer of attainable women!"
"You try balancing a cow on the end of a fencepost to wield it like a club. Thats a physical damn challenge!"
"The only problem i have is too much aggro."
Ozimander
$$$$$$$$$$$
posted 09-23-2006 01:18:58 PM
Well the show is just a rehash of the original Teen Titans back in the 60's.

As for everything else? Fuck if I know. I guess they believe it easier for a child audience to be able to relate to teens as opposed to adults? Who knows. The Shadow knows.

Maradon!
posted 09-23-2006 01:19:38 PM
The problem is that you're watching shows targeted at an early/pre-teen demographic and wondering why there are no adults in them.

The original batman animated series - which was a thousand times more successful than beyond - featured a fully adult batman and other characters.

Wolverine is boarderline elderly and one of the most popular superheros out there.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 09-23-2006 at 01:21 PM.

Azymyth
Not gay; just weird
posted 09-23-2006 01:31:48 PM
League of Superheroes is DC universe, so of course all the 'new' heroes suck.
I suffer from CRS: Can't Remember Shit.

Sig pic done by the very talented SJen!

Sean
posted 09-23-2006 02:12:07 PM
Legion of Superheroes is a phenomenal series with amazing characters. I have no doubt that Kids WB is ruining it.

Batman Beyond is fucking great, sorry if you didn't like it. It was so fucking great that even after its premature death, it's gotten mad props throughout other DCU shows. Most notably, JLU.

A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Vernaltemptress
Withered and Alone
posted 09-23-2006 03:05:10 PM
It's called $$$$. Newer producers, voiceovers, etc make no money showing old shows. The do make money making new variations on an old theme
Obamanomics: spend, tax, and borrow.
Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 09-23-2006 03:08:10 PM
Did you just call "Batman Beyond" crappy?
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 09-23-2006 03:40:12 PM
Well...here's several problems...

1. The Legion of Superheroes was a spinoff, back in the day, from the (now defunct) Superboy comic. Since then it's had several reboots (whenever DC's decided to fuck with continuity again...yeah I'm bitter), but the current run's pretty decent.

An interesting fact, however, is that there's always been a "Superboy" on the team. Originally it was Clark visiting the future, but then there have been other "Superboy" characters (one of them was even a Daxamite), and even more than one "Supergirl". It just fits that the Legion (which is the descendant team of the League) would have a Superman on it. They can't call the kid Superman on the show "Superboy" because the rights to "Superboy" are up in the air right now (which is apparently why they decided to off Conner and Superboy Prime for now).

2. Batman Beyond's use in your case-making is illogical...Terry McGinness is the replacement. Bruce is still alive there. He's ancient, he's not in the best of health, but he IS still there. They went out of their way to point out that the setting is in the future and that Bruce gave up his costumed adventuring for a reason. And while McGinness is a teenager during the show, the episode of JLU tying up Beyond depicts him as an adult. And Bruce is still there.

2a. If you thought Batman Beyond sucked, I condemn you to watching an eternity of that unholy Spider-Man cartoon with the "extreme art" style where Peter was stuck on a planet hunting lame ass versions of Venom and Carnage. Batman Beyond was tasty (though I disavow the "Return of the Joker").

3. Titans is about Teenagers. Originally the Titans weren't EVEN teenagers yet (though that was retconned over the years as the idea of child sidekicks became distasteful). In any case...Teen Titans. Yeah. Think hard.

4. Comics are finally getting respect for being not for children. Kids can still read most, but it's really become a genre for teenagers to adults. Cartoons, on the other hand, remain largely the province of kids. Cartoons will appeal to the child demographic first, and everyone else a distant second. Suck it up.

5. Some of the best-known comics out there feature older heroes. Kingdom Come, for instance. Dark Knight Returns, for instance. It's all Elseworlds for the moment, but word is (and all indications support) that a changing of at least some of the guard is in the works. Wally's no longer the "main" Flash. Bart is. Tim Drake's in a position to take over for Batman when the time comes. Superman doesn't have an heir apparent at the moment, but that could easily change.

And if you don't like DC, there's a set of Marvel (A-Next, Fantastic Five, Spider-Girl etc) set in a possible future of the current Marvel Universe, with frequent cameos by the "Old School".

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Sean
posted 09-23-2006 04:14:02 PM
Return of the Joker is great, you fucking heathen.
A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 09-23-2006 10:06:16 PM
quote:
Sean had this to say about Pirotess:
Return of the Joker is great, you fucking heathen.

I don't mind Tim Drake being warped, but c'mon...the Joker's been hiding in a mole on his neck?

"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty

Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 09-23-2006 10:13:50 PM
quote:
From the book of Mooj, chapter 3, verse 16:
Did you just call "Batman Beyond" crappy?

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 09-23-2006 10:24:31 PM
quote:
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael had this to say about Knight Rider:
I don't mind Tim Drake being warped, but c'mon...the Joker's been hiding in a mole on his neck?

I would see that as the place where the 'central control' is, and just assume that other bits of devices are hidden throughout his body.

That having been said, yeah... It was a bit lame. I was hoping that it was Tim Drake just thinking he was the Joker, a split personality caused by what the Joker did to him all those years ago. With that, his run-ins with the Joker, and the training he had as Robin, it would have all made sense.

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 09-24-2006 06:08:52 PM
Exactly.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: