EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: The next step in microtransactions
Talonus
Loner
posted 09-20-2006 10:30:23 PM
Who needs to actual content in a game? Let's nickle and dime them for everything we can!. So, Sony basically wants to charge gamers over $400 (for everything at minimum prices) to beta test online Gran Turismo 5. Sounds like a wonderful idea and is a great sign of what to come with the PS3! I wonder how much they'll charge you to tune the cars?
Maradon!
posted 09-20-2006 11:30:34 PM
Don't pay for it and they'll stop making it.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 09-20-2006 11:39:26 PM
Sadly, the PS3 might herald the end of Sony's dominance in the ring. I mean, a price hike is one thing, but this huge? People can't buy what they can't afford.
Skaw
posted 09-20-2006 11:47:55 PM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan spewed forth this undeniable truth:
Sadly, the PS3 might herald the end of Sony's dominance in the ring. I mean, a price hike is one thing, but this huge? People can't buy what they can't afford.

Even if you can afford it, I can think of a lot more important things to drop $500 or $600 on. Like maybe, Rent/mortgage. Car Insurance and Payments. Food for a few months. A night on the town.

Skaw fucked around with this message on 09-20-2006 at 11:48 PM.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 09-20-2006 11:50:41 PM
quote:
Skaw had this to say about the Spice Girls:
Even if you can afford it, I can think of a lot more important things to drop $500 or $600 on. Like maybe, Rent/mortgage. Car Insurance and Payments. Food for a few months. A night on the town.

If you are worried about those things, you can't afford the PS3.

Seriously. Afford = you can buy it without having to worry about your future finances being fucked over.

On another note -- the idea of microtransactions isn't a bad one -- IMO, it is used well in Morrowind. This GTHD thing is entirely too excessive, though.

Falaanla Marr fucked around with this message on 09-20-2006 at 11:54 PM.

Skaw
posted 09-20-2006 11:55:34 PM
quote:
Falaanla Marr thought about the meaning of life:
If you are worried about those things, you can't afford the PS3.

Not necessarily. I'd rather have the cushin then blow it on a PS3. If I were substantially in the green, then I'd consider it. But half a grand on a console with nothing bundled free(like, say, an HDMI cable lols,) then up to $80 on games that are mostly going to be available on the 360 is still considerably unappealing.

quote:
On another note -- the idea of microtransactions isn't a bad one -- IMO, it is used well in Morrowind. This GTHD thing is entirely too excessive, though.

Oblivions are a tad excessive... $2.00 for horse armor? The things are all ready fucking tanks. And you can heal them.

Skaw fucked around with this message on 09-20-2006 at 11:57 PM.

Nina
posted 09-20-2006 11:56:58 PM
Wah wah wah. If you can't save $500-600 over a few months for something that'll last 4-5 years, get a fucking job.

p.s.: you get the equivalent of this for that price too.

Nina fucked around with this message on 09-20-2006 at 11:59 PM.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 09-21-2006 12:07:29 AM
quote:
Nina had this to say about Punky Brewster:
that'll last 4-5 years

Yeah, fuck that. Systems don't last 4-5 years anymore.

In 8 months of owning a 360, I've had it die twice. In a one-month span. I'm not too particularly trusting of next-gen systems to work properly for more than a year. They're stuffing all sorts of major hardware in a small case.

Sean
posted 09-21-2006 12:25:39 AM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Falaanla Marr!
Yeah, fuck that. Systems don't last 4-5 years anymore.

In 8 months of owning a 360, I've had it die twice. In a one-month span. I'm not too particularly trusting of next-gen systems to work properly for more than a year. They're stuffing all sorts of major hardware in a small case.

Sucks to be you. Mine's running strong.

Buy your fucking replacement plan, not warranty, on all expensive hardware. You're a dumbass if you don't.

A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 09-21-2006 12:29:33 AM
quote:
Sean spewed forth this undeniable truth:
Sucks to be you. Mine's running strong.

Buy your fucking replacement plan, not warranty, on all expensive hardware. You're a dumbass if you don't.

Yeah, I've learned my lesson about getting the system from a friend without the ability to get a replacement plan.

I'm tossing around the idea of just selling off my repaired system when i get it back and just buying a new 360 from best buy with a replacement plan. Probably a good idea in the long run. It took 7 months to die on me, then Microsoft sent me a shitty replacement. Ah well. Lesson Learned.

Falaanla Marr fucked around with this message on 09-21-2006 at 12:33 AM.

Talonus
Loner
posted 09-21-2006 07:33:18 PM
quote:
Falaanla Marr Model 2000 was programmed to say:
Yeah, I've learned my lesson about getting the system from a friend without the ability to get a replacement plan.

I'm tossing around the idea of just selling off my repaired system when i get it back and just buying a new 360 from best buy with a replacement plan. Probably a good idea in the long run. It took 7 months to die on me, then Microsoft sent me a shitty replacement. Ah well. Lesson Learned.

Make sure you get your money back if you paid for the replacement for a system before 1/1/2006. At least they admitted that their first run had issues too.

Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 09-21-2006 10:24:11 PM
Man, this microtransaction shit is one of the top three reasons I've got for loathing the PS3 business plan. This is a bad sign of things to come, especially if people actually buy into it.
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 09-21-2006 10:42:11 PM
quote:
How.... Skaw.... uughhhhhh:
Oblivions are a tad excessive... $2.00 for horse armor? The things are all ready fucking tanks. And you can heal them.

Thing with them is, though, they're not something that is required to fully play the game. They're nice stuff, sure, but they aren't needed. Whereas cars in GT are a necessity.

And some of Oblivions were much nicer -- the new buildings, stuff like that. They are a nice idea if used right, but the PS3 is indeed abusing them.

And if you like to have a cushion, then you, in your mind, aren't financially sound by buying the PS3. Therefore, not affordable for you. Someone in your exact situation, however, may be able to afford it. It just depends on what you want to do with your money and how much you like to have saved.

Falaanla Marr fucked around with this message on 09-21-2006 at 10:43 PM.

Maradon!
posted 09-22-2006 12:51:26 AM
It would be horrible if people actually bought that and enjoyed it enough to continue buying it.

Just fucking horrible.

nem-x
posted 09-22-2006 01:09:46 AM
oh its just gt4

nem-x fucked around with this message on 09-22-2006 at 01:10 AM.

Sean
posted 09-22-2006 02:20:56 AM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by nem-x:
oh its just gt4

Seriously, nobody fucking cares about Gran Turismo.

A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: