EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Poll: Favorite Console System?
Author
Topic: Hmm... time for a random console poll
El Cuchillo
RETARD! DO NOT FEED!
posted 08-27-2005 08:10:37 PM
I don't want any arguments in this thread over why 'X' console sucks and 'Y' console is so much better. I merely want people to explain why 'Z' console is worth buying.

Talk about software available, features of the hardware, etc, that make a certain console your current favorite, or why you decided to spend money on it, or will in the future.

I'll start. For me, GC has the most games that I want to actually play. Metroid Prime, Eternal Darkness, Sands of Time (yes I know it's available on the other systems, but that just means I don't have to go get a second system for it), F-Zero, Zelda. I'll probably be borrowing Geist from my brother once he's done with it (it came out on his birthday and me and my younger brother got it for him).

I'd buy a PS2 for the GTA series. I'd buy an XBox for Ninja Gaiden. Nothing else springs to mind for those systems. Halo is fun, sure, but if I want to play it, I can just ask any of the dozen people I know with an XBox.

Strip Club - Online Comic Reader and Archiver for Linux and Windows (and maybe OSX)
Aury
My hair is a deadly weapon
posted 08-27-2005 08:20:11 PM
The PS2 still has my heart, after all these years.
Talonus
Loner
posted 08-27-2005 08:42:05 PM
Simple answer to this; they're all worth buying for one reason or another.

GC - While many games are "kiddy", it is the choice for creative and fun games.

PS2 - Largest library of games. For a RPS/strategy game player, it is the choice console.

XBox - The choice console for online gaming. Best choice for an action game fan. Multi-console ports normally end up best on XBox.

DS - Best library of newer handheld portable games right now.

GBA - Aging, but cheap and can play a ton of games.

PSP - Portable video player. Better than the DS at portable emulation.

Snugglits
I LIKE TO ABUSE THE ALERT MOD BUTTON AND I ENJOY THE FLAVOR OF SWEET SWEET COCK.
posted 08-27-2005 09:20:46 PM
The PS2 has an awesome library, especially for RPGs. Also, there's the katamari series.
[b].sig removed by Mr. Parcelan[/b]
Mr. Parcelan
posted 08-27-2005 09:24:59 PM
The GC is like the Sega Saturn of our day: probably the weakest of the consoles, but still has some incredible, must-have games.

PS2 is probably the best all-around.

Mod
Pancake
posted 08-27-2005 09:28:20 PM
I bought a PS2 a few months ago, which was actually the first non-handheld console I ever owned and didn't regret it one bit. Since I own a halfway up to date PC for all my FPS and online gaming needs the Xbox wasn't all that appealing since its flagship title completely pales when compared to HL2, BF2, or other PC games. I really don't care much for Zelda, Mario, Metroid or other Nintendo properties and 'kiddy' graphics in games bug the hell out of me, so a good chunk of the GC exclusive library was out of the question for me. I hope the RE4 PS2 port will be better than it looks since that, next to Ninja Gaiden, was one of the only two games not available on the PS2 that I really want to play.

Mod fucked around with this message on 08-27-2005 at 09:30 PM.

Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Mod
Pancake
posted 08-27-2005 09:29:50 PM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Mr. Parcelan said:
The GC is like the Sega Saturn of our day: probably the weakest of the consoles, but still has some incredible, must-have games.

PS2 is probably the best all-around.

From a hardware perspective I think that the GC is actually somewhat ahead of the PS2, they had to scale down some things for the PS2 port of RE4 for example.

Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 08-27-2005 09:31:54 PM
quote:
This one time, at Mod camp:
From a hardware perspective I think that the GC is actually somewhat ahead of the PS2, they had to scale down some things for the PS2 port of RE4 for example.

The Saturn was pretty out there, too. But it just didn't have the library to compete with the PS.

The GC has a pretty small collection of games, but a few of them are really good.

Mike the Butcher
Pancake
posted 08-27-2005 10:03:28 PM
GC is my favorite due mainly to the fact that it seems the GC has more original titles than other consoles. Some are winners and some are losers but atleast the creativity is still there.
Sean
posted 08-27-2005 10:11:12 PM
quote:
FUCK. MOTHERFUCKING SHIT. DO YOU FUCKING KNOW HOW FUCKING STUPID YOU ARE? SHIT. FUCK. It's not your fault, Mike the Butcher.
GC is my favorite due mainly to the fact that it seems the GC has more original titles than other consoles.

I do not understand this line of reasoning at all. Nintendo is built upon and only survives by its franchises.

And, while the PS2 is home to a fair number of great franchise titles (MGS, FF, in particular) they're almost all so drastically different from eachother that they're only connected in story, as is the case with MGS, or name in FF's case. And then you get original shit like Katamari and Rez.

And the X-Box.. fuck if I know. They're churning out games over there. There's been three Splinter Cells already, hasn't there? Two or three PGRs.. And every console gets sports titles, so who knows.

A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 08-27-2005 11:30:38 PM
GC = fanboi in me needs it.

PS2 = RPG lover in me needs it. (Tekken is cool too.)

XBox = Pervert in me needs it.

GBA = I don't need it because I have DS. (the games though I still have more of these than anything. GBA is Super Nintendo with better graphics and controls. iow, the ultimate console.)

DS = Rising to the top.

Lady Delirium
Drysart loves me!
posted 08-28-2005 12:04:50 AM
granted, i love them all, but im a fan of the classics
id say my favorites might be sega genesis and turbo grafix 16

yes, that is maradon spining around in a chair ^_ ____ _ ^
Sentow, Maybe
Pancake
posted 08-28-2005 02:09:29 AM
XBox and Gamecube are both great machines, but pound for pound I like the PS2 best. It has the largest and most diverse library of the big three, and it hosts several of my favorite franchises, such as Tekken and Final Fantasy.
Once more into the breach, my friends, once more. We'll close the wall with our dead. In peace, nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.
Alaan
posted 08-28-2005 02:27:42 AM
Ever since my first PSX game was FF7, I've been an RPG whore. And PS2 is the place for RPGs.
Talonus
Loner
posted 08-28-2005 08:01:57 AM
quote:
Sean had this to say about Robocop:
I do not understand this line of reasoning at all. Nintendo is built upon and only survives by its franchises.

They do original things with the franchises though. The closest one of their franchises comes to being like the previous games is Mario Kart Double Dash, and even that is quite different. All of them have added features (see Metroid Prime) or a new gameplay focus (see Mario Sunshine) that make them different from the past games. In other words, its not the characters that they use but rather what they do with these characters.

quote:
Mod impressed everyone with:
The GC is like the Sega Saturn of our day: probably the weakest of the consoles

If rated; XBox > GC > PS2. You really don't have to get into the specs to see this. All you have to do is compare game ports.

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 08-28-2005 03:41:24 PM
quote:
Talonus said this about your mom:
If rated; XBox > GC > PS2. You really don't have to get into the specs to see this. All you have to do is compare game ports.

A little more like X-Box > GC >> PS2.

The difference between the first two is small, but still noticable. Both the X-Box and GC are a leap ahead of the PS2. That's not to say that developers aren't so bad at creating for the PS2 that it doesn't get its share of games with phenominal graphics. Square has always been great at bringing out the potential of a system. Look at how mdeiocre the graphics for most PS2 games were before FFX. FFX was almost like playing on another system entirely. PS2 still manages to release graphical gems like God of War.

But then, anyone who really compares consoles by nothing other than graphics should have their heads examined. Games are all that matters, baby!

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Naj
I asked for a title and didn't get banned!
posted 08-29-2005 01:07:10 AM
quote:
El Cuchillo had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
For me, GC has the most games that I want to actually play.

Sounds like you answered your own question.

You can also pick up the GTA series for your PC which saves you from having to buy a PS2 for it, I've been playing San Andreas lately and I much prefer it to the PS2 version due to mods and much better viewing distance etc.

Skaw
posted 08-29-2005 01:15:11 AM
quote:
Naj wrote this stupid crap:

You can also pick up the GTA series for your PC which saves you from having to buy a PS2 for it, I've been playing San Andreas lately and I much prefer it to the PS2 version due to mods and much better viewing distance etc.

GTA3/VC/SA for the PC is all the wonderful parts of the PS2 versions, minus the suck controls and clip plane.

Right now for me, It's the GameCube, but DS is slowly climbing up there.

Skaw fucked around with this message on 08-29-2005 at 01:16 AM.

Hireko
Kill a fish before breakfast each day
posted 08-29-2005 12:47:41 PM
I like both the Xbox and PS2, but I bought an Xbox instead of a PS2. Many of my friends in the area had a PS2, whereas our nearest Xbox was two states away and didn't vist often. Secondly, and this is the major one, Xbox has default quadruple controller ports, and thus far more four player games. PS2's are definetely better for single player games, but if we're playing console games together, there are least three or more of us. Since buying my Xbox, I've come to appreciate the ability to rip music to it and use that as my game background music, a feature I was completely unaware of when I bought it. Its my game console, my portable MP3 player, and my DVD player. It and my C64 monitor move from house to house and get enjoyed by a lot of people. It is worth the crazy week of overtime it took me to buy it.
Those who dance are thought insane by those who can't hear the music.
Suddar
posted 08-29-2005 12:58:52 PM
I own all three cpnsoles, and I'd say the one I've enjoyed the most is my GameCube. (ignoring the DDR games, but those are really just ports and have nothing to do with the xbox/playstation.)

Can't speak on handhelds much, I only have a GBA.

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 08-29-2005 05:34:08 PM
If only the PSP had games that weren't emulated.

Densetsu goes back to playing Mario RPG on his PSP.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
El Cuchillo
RETARD! DO NOT FEED!
posted 08-31-2005 03:49:50 AM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when Naj said:

Except I wasn't really asking which one I should get. I was curious what other people's reasons for liking X console were. That might affect a buying decision *later*, but I already know what I want for now.

Yeah, if a game has a PC port for it, I'll probably get that, because they're almost always better in some way.

Strip Club - Online Comic Reader and Archiver for Linux and Windows (and maybe OSX)
Freschel Spindrift
Caucasian
posted 08-31-2005 04:26:49 AM
SNES.
Who's that crazy kook that's destroying the world. It's Zorc (That's me) It's Zorc and Pals.
Bakura: Did you forget our anniversary, again? (laughter)
Zorc: Yes, I was busy destroying the world (laughter) Slaughtering millions. (Laughter)
Bakura: That's my Zorc.
The blood of the innocents will flow without end. His name is Zorc, and he's destroying the world.
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 08-31-2005 04:35:34 AM
After the dissapointment the N64 was, I swore to never again buy another Nintendo console. I have no fucking clue how I've ended up with a Gamecube... :/

Well, at least Resident Evil 4 is awesome.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: