EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: State of the Charlie
Mr. Parcelan
posted 02-27-2005 09:39:53 AM
It's 7:30 AM and I can't sleep. Here, bask in the presence of my puppy and offer me your sage wit and wisdom.

Here are a few pictures...

Here he is irate at me taking his picture. How dare I!

Baffled as to why I'm up this late.

Caption this one.

Anyways, he's doing alright. We go for walks most everyday, unless it's been snowing severely. He takes very kindly to most people and enjoys jumping up on their legs and getting petted. I'm glad he's social. He does tend to get a tad offended when people have the audacity not to stop and talk to him. The nerve!

He gets timid around dogs that bark at him. We ran into a big pit bull mix (who was in his own yard) that started barking at Charlie. Another dog (not so big, only a tad taller than Charlie) came up and tried to socialize. Charles didn't flee, but he hid behind my legs until we decided to go on our merry way. He gets along famously with Gus, though.

What I'm hoping is that he'll be sociable with dogs so that I can get him a little brother in the summer.

Tada! Or perhaps, a black one...

My primary hope is that he'll be able to get along with one so I can have two.

As far as obedience goes, we're getting along fine. He understands (for the most part) what he can and can't play with, and I end up taking away a lot of the stuff he gets his little teeth into, but he's okay.

I roll him onto his back frequently to show him who's boss, and he tends to accept this pretty easily. Should I be doing something else?

He's getting along merely okay with puppy pads, but he's developed a nasty habit of going potty in laundry I leave on the floor. Furthermore, he's a very private doggy and only wants to go where I can't see him (I put a puppy pad down in the bedroom floor for this reason).

I was thinking of barracading the bedroom wing of the apartment off and putting a puppy pad next to my comp so he'd have no choice but to go potty where I could see him and thus act quickly.

Thoughts? Praise? Commentary?

Maradon!
posted 02-27-2005 12:26:46 PM
We don't care about your dog anymore, sorry.
Steven Steve
posted 02-27-2005 12:41:38 PM
You should just get some livestock as a pet so if you get mad at it, you can chop its head off and eat it.
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

New Age Bane
Waste Management Crisis
posted 02-27-2005 01:04:00 PM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Maradon!:
We don't care about your dog anymore, sorry.

omg omg he went there.

What am I supposed to in here again? Oh yes something witty and oh so pretty!
Arrenn Lightblade
Yes. Yes he is.
posted 02-27-2005 01:23:44 PM
He looks all sassy in the last picture.
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 02-27-2005 01:48:28 PM
Put some socks on, your feet are ugly.
I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Norim Stumpfighter
Milkmaid
posted 02-27-2005 03:38:17 PM
what kind of dog is that? my wife and I have been looking for a dog with short hair (she's allergic to dog hair, who knows why she wants one). anyway... just lookin for suggestions.
Vernaltemptress
Withered and Alone
posted 02-27-2005 03:51:04 PM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Norim Stumpfighter:
what kind of dog is that? my wife and I have been looking for a dog with short hair (she's allergic to dog hair, who knows why she wants one). anyway... just lookin for suggestions.

If she's allergic to dog hair, might want to consider one of the poodles. They are the most hypo-allergenic of the bunch. Though they do have to be groomed often since their hair doesn't shed, but keeps growing and growing...

Obamanomics: spend, tax, and borrow.
Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 02-27-2005 03:55:25 PM
quote:
Norim Stumpfighter probably says this to all the girls:

Pembroke Welsh Corgi.

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
Snugglits
I LIKE TO ABUSE THE ALERT MOD BUTTON AND I ENJOY THE FLAVOR OF SWEET SWEET COCK.
posted 02-27-2005 05:05:18 PM
Actually, I like seeing the dog. Keep posting.
[b].sig removed by Mr. Parcelan[/b]
Ares
posted 02-27-2005 05:09:53 PM
quote:
Waisz had this to say about Robocop:

*nods*

Maradon!
posted 02-27-2005 05:25:27 PM
quote:
Vernaltemptress had this to say about the Spice Girls:
If she's allergic to dog hair, might want to consider one of the poodles. They are the most hypo-allergenic of the bunch. Though they do have to be groomed often since their hair doesn't shed, but keeps growing and growing...

Bishons are less yappy and just as hypo-allergenic.

quote:
Waisz had this to say about John Romero:

PANSY

Vise the Stompy
Title now 100% ass free!
posted 02-27-2005 06:56:12 PM
quote:
Waisz had this to say about Knight Rider:
Mr. Parcelan
posted 02-28-2005 06:45:57 AM
So whenever I go into the bathroom, he follows me and starts barking at the wastebasket ensconced therein. If I scold him, he stops for a few seconds before starting again. If I sit there and continually talk to him, he'll pay attention, but I like to read while I shit.

What does this mean

Fizodeth
an unflattering title
posted 02-28-2005 06:57:03 AM
It probably means your dog thinks something is trying to start shit in the wastebasket, and gets distracted when you talk to him because he loves the attention.

Empty the waste basket and let him see inside. See what happens.

Fizodeth fucked around with this message on 02-28-2005 at 06:57 AM.

Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 02-28-2005 09:43:49 AM
Charlie the Full Metal Corgi is like the King of Cute! ^.^

<snuggles the puppy>

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 02-28-2005 10:16:51 AM
You should also make it a point to touch his food (put stuff in his bowl, or take it out) while he's eating. That will save you a lot of heartburn later, and prevent people getting bitten because they got too close to his food.
To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 02-28-2005 10:25:04 AM
we need to get your dog a horned Viking helmet
Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Mr. Parcelan
posted 03-01-2005 05:16:08 AM
I emptied the trash and he still barks at it. I turned it upside down for some reason and he still barks at it. So, I put it up high and he looked at it like it was trying to kill him and he started barking again. When I put it back down, he went on edge and started barking again.

Huh.

So far, we're doing okay on who's boss. He doesn't really have a set mealtime, but rather he just sort of snacks around, so I don't really time taking away his food. I can try, though.

I don't think he needs a helmet just yet, but a red trenchcoat would be good. I'm planning on naming his little brother Otis Alfonz Watkins ^_^

Vernaltemptress
Withered and Alone
posted 03-01-2005 06:10:44 AM
The wastebasket's evil and needs to be replaced. And Charlie's trying to tell you to take him shopping with you for a new one.
Obamanomics: spend, tax, and borrow.
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 03-01-2005 08:07:33 AM
Charlie wants to pee on a department store and getting rid of the old trashcan is just the first step.
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty

Mr. Parcelan
posted 03-01-2005 06:53:20 PM
We just went on a longish walk to the doggy park, since it's right through a park that's right next to my house. We met a total of three doggies today.

He seems to enjoy socializing with humans more than doggies, but he was bold, fearless and friendly towards the puppies, hopping around them like he wanted to play.

I hope that's a good sign.

Manticore
Not Much Fun Anymore
posted 03-01-2005 07:04:48 PM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:
He seems to enjoy socializing with humans more than doggies, but he was bold, fearless and friendly towards the puppies, hopping around them like he wanted to play.

I hope that's a good sign.

[durritos] he is bold but is he daring? [/durritos]

Also, he is playing with them to lure them into a false sense of security. He craves blood. Innocent puppy blood.

"France tried to turtle, but Hitler did a tank rush before they were ready. Just shows how horribly unbalanced real life is. They should release a patch."
Demos
Pancake
posted 03-01-2005 07:04:51 PM
It should be. Adding another puppy while he's young enough to learn to live with other animals will also help him remain personable towards other pets.
"Jesus saves, Buddha enlightens, Cthulhu thinks you'll make a nice sandwich."
Mr. Parcelan
posted 03-02-2005 12:18:35 AM
Hm, I'm a little concerned.

He started whining for no reason. I don't think he ate anything bad, and I checked him over to see if he was physically hurt, but I didn't find anything.

He doesn't have to go potty and he's got plenty of food. He whines little when I'm near him, but he still sometimes cries, so I'm baffled.

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 03-02-2005 12:25:47 AM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Mr. Parcelan said:
Hm, I'm a little concerned.

He started whining for no reason. I don't think he ate anything bad, and I checked him over to see if he was physically hurt, but I didn't find anything.

He doesn't have to go potty and he's got plenty of food. He whines little when I'm near him, but he still sometimes cries, so I'm baffled.

Does he stop when you pay attention to him?

I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Mr. Parcelan
posted 03-02-2005 12:28:00 AM
quote:
JooJooFlop embraced inferiority and said
Does he stop when you pay attention to him?

For the most part.

He was sitting around in his crate (which he usually doesn't do) and now he's moping in a corner near his favorite bumper.

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 03-02-2005 12:32:36 AM
My dog always whined at me for attention when I was at the computer until I moved a comfy chair with a big blanket right next to where I sit so she has a place in my immediate vicinity to sleep.
Demos
Pancake
posted 03-02-2005 01:00:07 AM
Yes, he wants attention. My dog is 14 and still whines for attention
"Jesus saves, Buddha enlightens, Cthulhu thinks you'll make a nice sandwich."
Alaan
posted 03-02-2005 01:00:57 AM
quote:
Demos had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
Yes, he wants attention. My dog is 14 and still whines for attention

If you were arthritic and had uh...three legs limbs...you'd want attention too!

Alaan fucked around with this message on 03-02-2005 at 01:01 AM.

nem-x
posted 03-02-2005 06:01:01 AM

nem-x fucked around with this message on 03-02-2005 at 06:02 AM.

Ryuujin
posted 03-02-2005 07:06:34 AM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan spewed forth this undeniable truth:
For the most part.

He was sitting around in his crate (which he usually doesn't do) and now he's moping in a corner near his favorite bumper.

Who's training who?

Ryuujin fucked around with this message on 03-02-2005 at 07:10 AM.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 03-02-2005 09:48:34 AM
quote:
ACES! Another post by nem-x:

heh heh heh...

leckzilla!
Squeak!
posted 03-02-2005 10:41:08 AM
quote:
nem-x attempted to be funny by writing:
blah...

I have both of those books.

Gydyon
Yes, I am a lawyer. No you can't sue them for that. Shut up, or I'll have your legs broken.
posted 03-02-2005 01:19:17 PM
quote:
So quoth Mr. Parcelan:
stuff

Few things.

One: Dogs sometimes just get scared of things they don't know. That can be automatic doors, crutches, wheelchairs, or something less obvious. The key is to get them used to it. Just keep showing him the trash can, and eventually he should get used to it. I would say give him treats around the can but then he may become a dumpster diner and you don't want that.

Two: Don't let your dog "snack" as a general rule. Dogs need routines, and if he can eat whenever he wants he will get possessive. I would put out his food at a set time twice a day, leave it out for 15 minutes or so, and then get rid of it. My dog eats in his crate at the same time every day. Bloodsage's point of making sure you play with his food while he eats is also very important.

Third: The whining may be a sign that your dog is a dog, and therefore is a an attention whore. You must ignore him (assuming his needs have been met) until he stops whining, or it will only get worse. He needs to know you pay attention to him on your terms, not his, or he will reestablish dominance in the relationship.

Just my thoughts.....

Gydyon
Evercrest Lawyer

Thinking about your posts
(and billing you for it) since 2001

Grunt
Pancake
posted 03-03-2005 06:31:46 AM
Tee hee. Whenever Charlie rolls on his back, he puts his little paws over his face like he's hiding.

It's the most adorable thing ever.

nem-x
posted 03-03-2005 06:51:13 AM
Why don't you take a picture, you liar.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 03-05-2005 04:23:50 AM
It was an extremely busy day for master and hound.

We went to the vet early this afternoon, and to net a better deal, my mom scheduled Gus for the same day. Much fun was had.

Everyone gushed over Charlie and he grew a tad jealous whenever someone noticed Gus first, but he likes Gus a whole lot and they enjoy playing together very much. He got his rabies shot and we got his application for his license, as well as setting a date for him to...uh...lose his thunder...as well as get his microchip.

Next, we went to go visit someone downtown: my friend who has a studio over some hairdresser salon. When we passed the hairdresser's open door, they and their customers were quick to gush over him and he was exceedingly sociable. So much so, he didn't want to leave and I had to scoop him up!

Next, to get my mom onboard the pug train to success, me and her went to the mall to see the pet store and meet a little black pug. She was adorable, but my ma called her grotesque. Oh well.

Finally, I went to the pet store and bought him some puppy pads for down here, as well as some IAMs kibble, a pair of new toys (including a hard, frozen toy to soothe his aching gums and a pair of hard rubber keys), and an ID tag.

So he's living the life and out playing with Gus right now. What a day!

Post pictures of corgis and pugs.

nem-x
posted 03-05-2005 04:32:29 AM
Mr. Parcelan
posted 03-05-2005 04:42:09 AM
For another intriguing fact, Charlie is equally freaked out by the bathroom wastebasket in my house down in Phoenix as he is by the one in Flagstaff.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: