EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: What do you consider to be middle-aged?
Nae
Fun with Chocolate
posted 02-21-2005 11:42:00 AM
Humor me here.

Don't quote Webster's at me. I want to know what age group YOU think is middle-aged.

I'll tell you why I want to know later.

Thanks!

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 02-21-2005 11:52:32 AM
40-60.

Maybe up to 65.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Addy
posted 02-21-2005 11:54:26 AM
quote:
Karnaj was listening to Cher while typing:
40-60.

Maybe up to 65.

^^^^^^^^

Karnaj speaks the truth.

Callalron
Hires people with hooks
posted 02-21-2005 12:05:46 PM
At this point, I'd say whatever age I am now, plus 10 years.

I'm still trying to decide what I want to be when I grow up.

Callalron
"When mankind finally discovers the center of the universe, a lot of people are going to be upset that it isn't them."
"If you give a man a fish he'll eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish he'll just go out and buy an ugly hat. But if you talk to a starving man about fish, then you've become a consultant."--Dogbert
Arvek, 41 Bounty Hunter
Vrook Lamar server
Kaglaaz How'ler
Pancake
posted 02-21-2005 12:12:23 PM
quote:
We were all impressed when Callalron wrote:

AMEN!!

You're only as young as you feel. I felt like an old man all through 2003. Now I feel like a kid again. So glad to be healthy...

http://www.bloodfin.net
Mr. Parcelan
posted 02-21-2005 12:23:24 PM
quote:
Karnaj obviously shouldn't have said:
40-60.
Maradon!
posted 02-21-2005 12:31:16 PM
Most people die around 80-90, so I'd say 40-45
Il Buono
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend.
posted 02-21-2005 12:35:41 PM
With the way the US works, I'd say 45 - 55 is middle age.

Because you sure as shit aren't a human being until you turn 18.

"Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."
Zaza
I don't give a damn.
posted 02-21-2005 12:42:18 PM
40-60/65
Liam
Swims in Erotic Circles
posted 02-21-2005 12:57:46 PM
30, you're all old and in denial.

Geezers.

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 02-21-2005 01:19:25 PM
0-20 = kid
20-40 = young adult
40-60 = middle aged
60-80 = old adult
80-100 = why are you still alive?
Nae
Fun with Chocolate
posted 02-21-2005 01:37:35 PM
Okay, it seems that I am wrong.

I have always thought middle-aged was 50-70.

The reason I am asking is because this chick said that Michael Jackson was middle-aged at 46. I am 37 and I don't hardly consider myself as 3 years from hitting middle-age.

My whole life people always said that 50 was middle age, and 70+ was over the hill.

I don't want to be middle-aged yet.

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 02-21-2005 01:47:50 PM
quote:
Nae spewed forth this undeniable truth:
I don't want to be middle-aged yet.

Just accept it gracefully. You don't wanna be like the boss from The Office, do you?

I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 02-21-2005 01:52:14 PM
My Dad is going to be 61 this year. His Dad was 70something when he died (kidney and liver problems).

My Dad, near as I can tell, hasn't physically aged since he was 50. His hair turned silver, he wears glasses more, but the man is not getting any older. He hit middle age and middle age stalled. Time goes on, his aging does not.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Snugglits
I LIKE TO ABUSE THE ALERT MOD BUTTON AND I ENJOY THE FLAVOR OF SWEET SWEET COCK.
posted 02-21-2005 02:10:29 PM
I've always seen it as more like 35-60, but yeah.
[b].sig removed by Mr. Parcelan[/b]
Maradon!
posted 02-21-2005 02:47:51 PM
quote:
Nae thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:
Okay, it seems that I am wrong.

I have always thought middle-aged was 50-70

People generally don't live to 140 O_o

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 02-21-2005 02:49:24 PM
The answer is n.

I will live forever.

Nae
Fun with Chocolate
posted 02-21-2005 02:54:54 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about the Spice Girls:
People generally don't live to 140 O_o

I never thought about it as the exact middle-point of someone's life. Middle-age isn't something as accurate as that. Nobody knows how long anyone will live for.

I pretty much thought of it as around the time a woman would be out of her child-bearing years. Menopause usually starts in the 50's, sometimes a bit younger.

Maradon!
posted 02-21-2005 02:57:41 PM
I really don't see how you can understand "Middle Aged" to mean anything but the "age in the middle", as in the middle of someone's life.
Nae
Fun with Chocolate
posted 02-21-2005 02:59:36 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Optimus Prime:
I really don't see how you can understand "Middle Aged" to mean anything but the "age in the middle", as in the middle of someone's life.

So, you think that if someone died at age 30, their teens would have been when they were middle-aged?

Wrong.

You can't know your day of death, so that formula doesn't work.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 02-21-2005 03:06:01 PM
Donnie's going with a literal translation rather than a contextual translation, probably so he can argue. His definition is similar to the definition of half-life.

Way I see it, life is measured in two ways: Chronological, and by how well you live.

Chronologically, the "Middle Age" for Americans is around 39 for women, and 36 for men, if I'm not mistaken.

Contextually, or how well you live, I'd guess would be defined by the point at which some significant biological deterioration sets in. Eyesight or hearing getting worse, bones becoming more brittle beyond a certain point, etc.

I go with a contextual definition because human aging and it's effects don't operate on a symmetrical curve. The bell curve for humans would arguably top around 25 and have an elongated descent, technically speaking. But I would imagine most of us would argue that it reaches a peak somewhat later (say 30ish) and starts a gradually declining plateau, then rapidly drops off at the end. People don't usually die from a degenerative disease marked in decades. Usually they take a turn for the worse and are gone inside of one decade once it gets bad, and usually that can even be condensed to five years, I'd be willing to wager.

"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty

Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 02-21-2005 03:45:50 PM
Most people live to be around 76-80 years old. So middle aged would be about half of that.

I'd say 40 years old would prolly be a good round number to be classified as middle aged.

"Give me control of a nation's money, and I care not who makes its laws."
-Mayer Rothschild
Hireko
Kill a fish before breakfast each day
posted 02-21-2005 03:50:37 PM
I'd say 35 - 55 is middle aged. Thats just older than some of my friends from college, up to just younger than my parents. Its also the time in your life you hold your most "real" jobs.
Those who dance are thought insane by those who can't hear the music.
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 02-21-2005 03:50:38 PM
about 35ish to 65ish.

Much of it depends on how you carry yourself. I've met 45 year old young adults and 40 year old "elderly" people.

So, to me, middle aged more depends on how you carry yourself.

Hostile Makeover
Evil as chocolate covered thistles
posted 02-21-2005 04:19:08 PM
quote:
So quoth Callalron:
At this point, I'd say whatever age I am now, plus 10 years.

Callalron earns his SuperGenius title once again!

Zaile Ghostmaker
You've gotta remember, I'm an EverQuest character.
posted 02-21-2005 04:44:19 PM
Middle age for a human is 35 years. Old is 53, and Venerable is 70 years. Max lifespan is 70 + 2d20 years.
I find that most problems can be solved by excessive violence.

It is held in thought
only by the understanding
of the Wind.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 02-21-2005 04:55:56 PM
quote:
Zaile Ghostmaker had this to say about Optimus Prime:
Middle age for a human is 35 years. Old is 53, and Venerable is 70 years. Max lifespan is 70 + 2d20 years.

Best. Answer. Ever.

Toktuk
Pooh Ogre
Keeper of the Shoulders of Peachis Perching
posted 02-21-2005 05:01:16 PM
Nae
Fun with Chocolate
posted 02-21-2005 05:07:09 PM
quote:
Zaile Ghostmaker had this to say about Cuba:

I like that answer.

However, I guess that I am still skewed in my thinking.

If for example, I witnessed a hit and run and had to give the police a description of the man driving the car, I wouldn't say that he was middle-aged if he looked to be in his 30's or 40's.

However, if he had a head of grey hair, and looked to be in his 50's and up I might just do so.

If he looked to be my age, I would say that he looked to be in his mid-thirties.

I think you are all thinking too literal. I have never before today hear someone call a person in their 30's middle-aged.

Nae
Fun with Chocolate
posted 02-21-2005 05:14:05 PM
aha! I found a description of a middle-aged woman!

so there!

quote:
Midlife women - part of the "pivot generation" aged between 50 and retirement - were often being squeezed between care for an elderly parent or other relative, looking after their own teenage children or young adults still at home in their 20s, and sometimes also helping care for grandchildren.

Nae
Fun with Chocolate
posted 02-21-2005 05:21:26 PM
This webiste says 40 and above are middle-aged.

bleh

I guess I will have to admit defeat. How sad.

Chugga
Pancake
posted 02-21-2005 06:33:42 PM
Middle-age = Nae+1
Nae
Fun with Chocolate
posted 02-21-2005 07:02:55 PM
Doomie = smooth operator!

Fizodeth
an unflattering title
posted 02-21-2005 07:03:41 PM
Middle age is all mental. Middle age is when you start getting that crisis phase where you're all like "Everything sucks, I need a fast car."

Sometimes people revert to being young afterwards, sometimes they move on. It's all mental.

Kaglaaz How'ler
Pancake
posted 02-21-2005 07:04:17 PM
quote:
Nae wrote this stupid crap:
This webiste says 40 and above are middle-aged.

bleh

I guess I will have to admit defeat. How sad.

Bah! You'll still be Evercrest's First Uberbabe!

http://www.bloodfin.net
Arttemis
Not Squire... but a guitar!
posted 02-21-2005 11:39:25 PM
quote:
This one time, at Fizodeth camp:
Middle age is all mental. Middle age is when you start getting that crisis phase where you're all like "Everything sucks, I need a fast car."

Sometimes people revert to being young afterwards, sometimes they move on. It's all mental.

I definitely was not middle aged at 16.

Nicole
The hip-hop-happiest bunny in all of marshmallow woods
posted 02-22-2005 01:17:30 AM
0-10: kid.
10-13: preteen.
14-18: teenager.
19-39: adult.
40-60: middle-age.
60 on: old person.

Nicole = tremendous fear of getting old. Unless I start doing something super-cool that everyone will love me for, like, RIGHT NOW, I just cannot see myself continuing to exist past 39.

(this doesn't mean I'm going to kill myself or anything, just that old age is something alien and terrifying to me D: )

I just spent
my last cent
purchasing this poverty.

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 02-22-2005 01:42:35 AM
quote:
How.... Nicole.... uughhhhhh:
Nicole = tremendous fear of getting old. Unless I start doing something super-cool that everyone will love me for, like, RIGHT NOW, I just cannot see myself continuing to exist past 39.

(this doesn't mean I'm going to kill myself or anything, just that old age is something alien and terrifying to me D: )

You can be the crazy snake lady.

I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Aury
My hair is a deadly weapon
posted 02-22-2005 09:27:35 AM
Middle Aged = Averagely Aged = between 35-45, given our current average lifespan. =)
very important poster
a sweet title
posted 02-22-2005 10:07:49 AM
quote:
Waisz attempted to be funny by writing:
I've always seen it as more like 35-60, but yeah.
hey
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: