EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Woo! Level 40!
Zaeron
Pancake
posted 12-14-2004 10:15:13 AM
Well, actually level 41.. But I'm curious.. Who else here has made it over level 40 already?
Darius!
Pancake
posted 12-14-2004 10:32:30 AM
I got 40 like a week ago.
Vorago
A completely different kind of Buckethead
posted 12-14-2004 11:13:14 AM
I stopped at lvl 28 last week so inferno-spirit can catch up to me in levels, so we can group together and do stuff together etc.

Assuming Willias and Briman don't lvl any more either in the next few days till Inferno closes the last couple levels, the four of us could go rip up instances and stuff.

*nudge* *nudge* *wink* *wink*

Faelynn LeAndris
Lusty busty redheaded wood elf with sharp claws
posted 12-14-2004 11:17:17 AM
quote:
Vorago was listening to Cher while typing:
I stopped at lvl 28 last week so inferno-spirit can catch up to me in levels, so we can group together and do stuff together etc.

Assuming Willias and Briman don't lvl any more either in the next few days till Inferno closes the last couple levels, the four of us could go rip up instances and stuff.

*nudge* *nudge* *wink* *wink*

I'm having to do that... I'm too high for Monica, and the whole point of WoW was so we could play together when we got a second PC. But she is so slooooooooooooooooooooow.

I've had to resign myself to playing alts, cause as I discovered, even justw orking to get money I level entirely too fast, or just getting materials I level too fast.

Since you get the bulk of your leveling experience through quests, I was thinking of asking Trent and the others to do me a favor and powerlevel Monica through her early quests for the EXP, since they are all so much higher than her, they could pretty much complete the quests for her real fast and she can get her EXP reward to level her up.

She did at least finnaly make 20.

My LAUNCHCast Station
"Respect the Forest, Fear the Ranger"
I got lost for an hour and became god.
Dr. Gee
Say it Loud, Say it Plowed!
posted 12-14-2004 11:27:13 AM
Some of my guildmates did that for me last night Fae. We did Deadmines with my level 20 priest self, level 30 rogue, level 29 hunter, and a level 26 pally who we randomly picked up. We did the whole thing in an hour and a half.

I made out with the Westfall Staff (VC quest reward) and Cookie's Stirring Stick (20-something DPS Shadow wand).

I also dropped Enchanting in favor of Skinning so i can eventually supply myself with the leather needed for 10-slot bags. I'm stuck at 150 Tailoring since i'm just too low to get any of the Spider's Silk or heavy Leather i need to continue.

Faelynn LeAndris
posted 12-14-2004 11:35:25 AM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Dr. Gee was all like:
Some of my guildmates did that for me last night Fae. We did Deadmines with my level 20 priest self, level 30 rogue, level 29 hunter, and a level 26 pally who we randomly picked up. We did the whole thing in an hour and a half.

I made out with the Westfall Staff (VC quest reward) and Cookie's Stirring Stick (20-something DPS Shadow wand).

I also dropped Enchanting in favor of Skinning so i can eventually supply myself with the leather needed for 10-slot bags. I'm stuck at 150 Tailoring since i'm just too low to get any of the Spider's Silk or heavy Leather i need to continue.

Yeah Caela helped her out with a quest the other night she was having a LOT of trouble with before, I think they finished all 3 parts of it in like under an hour hehe. I think Caela even got soem EXP from it, not to mention the faction points. So Monica really appreciated that. If she could get a few of the higher levels to help her through her red quests It'd probably be pretty fast.

When we can get a second PC I'll probably drag Fae around to level through her higher quests and play my Pally in the down time.

It's just really hard cause playing anything besides my Hunter just makes me miss my hunter.

Edit: And I can tell you where to find a proverbial Leather Hotspot. Just hang out in Whelgar's Excavation Site in the wetlands... My God all the leather...

Faelynn LeAndris fucked around with this message on 12-14-2004 at 11:36 AM.

My LAUNCHCast Station
Taylen
Pancake
posted 12-14-2004 11:44:37 AM
I'd be happy to help her level up Fae. I just love carving stuff up with my axe.
"When correctly viewed, everything is lewd." - Tom Lehrer.
Sadomasochism: It's Fun!
Taylen Ashenbow
Rangers never run we mearly stratigically retreat.
Thats not a train thats a pull, my trains are always much bigger.
Faelynn LeAndris
posted 12-14-2004 11:57:36 AM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Taylen wrote:
I'd be happy to help her level up Fae. I just love carving stuff up with my axe.

Yeah if I can just get her past being so shy now. Hehe. It took me forever to get her to ask Caela to help her out since she is a priest. And she has played games with both Trent and Kat, in fact she played with Kat a LOT in FFXI, and she STILL is hesitant to ask to come play with them. Even against my advice, (Of course I have hurt my credibility for giving advice after a PvP event last night. Funny story, but eh. )

She's also not the greatest twitch player and is kinda slow when it comes to high tense situations, so she often feels behind the times and she doesn't wanna make anyone else deal with her shortcomings, I think. Because she doesn't think she is as good a player overall, and others would suffer because she messes up a lot. She also panics...

So its a slooooow process convincing her to group up, she doesn't even like asking for help, which is why Im the one who asked you to give her the loan last night (Which helped her muchly btw, and thanks for that. )

I, honestly, dunno what her deal is. She USED to be the worlds biggest socialite, now she is always afraid.

My LAUNCHCast Station
Vorago
posted 12-14-2004 12:03:46 PM
Something Inferno-Spirit and I discovered...

We are 5 levels apart, ungrouped. Inferno hits mob, I help obliterate it quickly, Inferno gets a fraction of the exp, 1/3 to 1/2 or so from what he would get normally. Assuming the level difference cuts the exp share down based on how far apart we are.

Inferno attacks same mob, but puts status effect on it, like Hamstring, I obliterate mob quickly, he gets 100% of the exp he would have gotten normally. Mobs he could not kill solo normally I kill, doing a good 90% of the damage, but because of the hamstring or whatnot, he gets full exp.

Which makes levelling and questing a LOT faster when the person just hamstrings or whatever a mob 2 or 3 levels higher and runs off to the next mob while you kill it, pretty much make a chain with me following one mob behind him mopping up as he goes and tags the next mob. Handy as hell for finishing orange con quests in short order.

Lee Taxx0r
Pancake
posted 12-14-2004 12:08:05 PM
<----

I haven't played much the last few days though.

Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 12-14-2004 12:14:34 PM
Monica needs to come kill stuff with me! ^.^

I'm a one-druid party in of myself (Warrior/Rogue/Healer/Mage) but could always use more. ^.^

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
Aaron (the good one)
posted 12-14-2004 12:16:31 PM
I am currently level 34.5 . When I level up I get the quest for a 1407AC shield.
Galbadia Hotel - Video Game Music
I am Canadian and I hate The Tragically Hip
Lashanna
noob
posted 12-14-2004 12:26:53 PM
I'm only level 16, but then, I've only been playing for three days...

Blacksmithing is at 90 though Protip

Dad's going to kill you. Really. He is.
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 12-14-2004 01:27:06 PM
quote:
Faelynn LeAndris thought about the meaning of life:
I'm having to do that... I'm too high for Monica, and the whole point of WoW was so we could play together when we got a second PC. But she is so slooooooooooooooooooooow.

I've had to resign myself to playing alts, cause as I discovered, even justw orking to get money I level entirely too fast, or just getting materials I level too fast.

Since you get the bulk of your leveling experience through quests, I was thinking of asking Trent and the others to do me a favor and powerlevel Monica through her early quests for the EXP, since they are all so much higher than her, they could pretty much complete the quests for her real fast and she can get her EXP reward to level her up.

She did at least finnaly make 20.

That defeats the entire purpose of the game though... Sure you catch her up, but she's missed an entire portion of the game.

Vorago
posted 12-14-2004 01:49:51 PM
I am currently at 205 smithing, and found something annoying...

I must be lvl 35 before I can pick up Artisan smithing

Grrr...

I am going to cap out my smithing soon and then just be hoarding materials till 35, humbug.

Maradon!
posted 12-14-2004 02:17:41 PM
quote:
Vorago thought about the meaning of life:
I am currently at 205 smithing, and found something annoying...

I must be lvl 35 before I can pick up Artisan smithing

Grrr...

I am going to cap out my smithing soon and then just be hoarding materials till 35, humbug.

That's weird. I got artisan alchemy at 25 :\

Goma
Pancake
posted 12-14-2004 02:55:34 PM
Level 36, alchemy of 215 (artisan level), herbalism of around 250, first aid of 225 (still need to do the artisan quest).

I'm trying to save up so I can afford a mount when I hit 40.

Inferno-Spirit
Sports Advocate
posted 12-14-2004 03:17:21 PM
quote:
Falaanla Marr had this to say about Pirotess:
That defeats the entire purpose of the game though... Sure you catch her up, but she's missed an entire portion of the game.

One, I'm a him, as Vorago mentioned.

Two, It didn't really go down like Vorago said.

I could kill the mobs I was fighting solo, rather easily. As a 23 Warrior(at the time) I could kill 24s non stop or 25s without much trouble. We were fighting 22s and 23s for a quest that I picked up, had to kill X many of them. The difference between playing without him and playing with him was a matter of a little extra safety(Well, I got us killed once. A couple mobs chased us several times the normal distance that a mob would normally quit at.) and a speed increase.

But I don't particilarily enjoy the grind, and that's all I missed. I wouldn't have accepted 5 or 6 levels of this, because that would just get boring, no danger and all that. He pushed me up about a level at a point where I could not even increase my tradeskills(I'm currently producing items far beyond what I can equip with smithing).

"He lets the last Hungarian go, and he goes running. He waits until his wife and kids are in the ground and he goes after the rest of the mob. He kills their kids, he kills their wives, he kills their parents and their parents' friends. He burns down the houses they grew up in and the stores they work in, he kills people that owe them money. And like that he was gone. Underground. No one has ever seen him again. He becomes a myth, a spook story that criminals tell their kids at night. 'If you rat on your pop, Keyser Soze will get you.' And nobody really ever believes." - Roger 'Verbal' Kint, The Usual Suspects
Damnati
Filthy
posted 12-14-2004 03:17:45 PM
Lucky bum, IS. I don't recall any of y'all offer to help me catch up... Not that it matters. I'm approaching 20 as it is and should be up to 30 in no time.
Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -PhĆØdre nĆ³ Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 12-14-2004 03:21:13 PM
quote:
So quoth Inferno-Spirit:
One, I'm a him, as Vorago mentioned.

Fal was referring to Fae's post (look who is in quotes) where he was talking about his wife, a she.

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Flea
Pancake
posted 12-14-2004 03:36:19 PM
quote:
Kuroi Madoushi had this to say about Robocop:
Lucky bum, IS. I don't recall any of y'all offer to help me catch up... Not that it matters. I'm approaching 20 as it is and should be up to 30 in no time.

Just like you didn't help me out and buy me a better axe? I had to waste all my hard earned silver just to buy one.

fucked around with this message on 12-14-2004 at 03:37 PM.

Faelynn LeAndris
posted 12-14-2004 03:37:49 PM
quote:
How.... Falaanla Marr.... uughhhhhh:

Uh... How so?

A huge portion of the game is quests, if she is still doing her quests then what is she missing? She's still doing the quests, she is just doing them much sooner than she could do so alone, or with others her level.

Like she can essentially do Blackfathom Deeps when she gets the quest at 18, while it is still HORRIBLY red and impossible to do for a group of 18s, but with a few higehr levels she can accomplish it.

So what is she missing out on? She still has to be there, she still has to do the quests, she can just do them all really fast, and much sooner than she could alone, or with others her level.

All this would accomplish is taking away the time sink element, as she wont have to grind levels before doing a quest that is too hard for her at her current stage, where instead she goes right on to do the quest. Grinding a level isn't really something to be missed, and its not a portion of the game, it is, just like every other game, a time sink. There is nothing spectacular about it, or neat, that she will be missing. That element comes from the quests, which she will still be doing.

So I don't really see what you are getting at?

My LAUNCHCast Station
Inferno-Spirit
Sports Advocate
posted 12-14-2004 03:40:04 PM
quote:
Katrinity was naked while typing this:
Fal was referring to Fae's post (look who is in quotes) where he was talking about his wife, a she.

Yes, I am blind. Thank you.

"He lets the last Hungarian go, and he goes running. He waits until his wife and kids are in the ground and he goes after the rest of the mob. He kills their kids, he kills their wives, he kills their parents and their parents' friends. He burns down the houses they grew up in and the stores they work in, he kills people that owe them money. And like that he was gone. Underground. No one has ever seen him again. He becomes a myth, a spook story that criminals tell their kids at night. 'If you rat on your pop, Keyser Soze will get you.' And nobody really ever believes." - Roger 'Verbal' Kint, The Usual Suspects
Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 12-14-2004 03:42:49 PM
quote:
Faelynn LeAndris Model 2000 was programmed to say:
Uh... How so?

A huge portion of the game is quests, if she is still doing her quests then what is she missing? She's still doing the quests, she is just doing them much sooner than she could do so alone, or with others her level.

Like she can essentially do Blackfathom Deeps when she gets the quest at 18, while it is still HORRIBLY red and impossible to do for a group of 18s, but with a few higehr levels she can accomplish it.

So what is she missing out on? She still has to be there, she still has to do the quests, she can just do them all really fast, and much sooner than she could alone, or with others her level.

All this would accomplish is taking away the time sink element, as she wont have to grind levels before doing a quest that is too hard for her at her current stage, where instead she goes right on to do the quest. Grinding a level isn't really something to be missed, and its not a portion of the game, it is, just like every other game, a time sink. There is nothing spectacular about it, or neat, that she will be missing. That element comes from the quests, which she will still be doing.

So I don't really see what you are getting at?

I need to get some help for those Blackfanthom Deeps quest too... I have to get brain stems and talk to some agent down there.

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Faelynn LeAndris
posted 12-14-2004 03:45:12 PM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when Katrinity said:
I need to get some help for those Blackfanthom Deeps quest too... I have to get brain stems and talk to some agent down there.

I still haven't finished it, because even at 28 it was REALLY tough solo (You get the quest at 18, and as proven when me, you, and Gadani did it, it was defeinitely too tough for 18s as it was still really difficult with us being level 26...), but I'll be going back soon to finish it up, so can come along.

Edit: Or better yet, you, Dreame, Ash, and Monica should go do it. Dreame is 27ish I believe, Ash is 22-23, you and Monica are level 20. Should be good enough I think with Dreame to carry the brunt and Ash being a full priest with you as backup as well as some jack of all trades elements, and Monica adding some extra damage and stuff.

Faelynn LeAndris fucked around with this message on 12-14-2004 at 03:47 PM.

My LAUNCHCast Station
Maradon!
posted 12-14-2004 03:47:29 PM
quote:
This one time, at Faelynn LeAndris camp:
Uh... How so?

A huge portion of the game is quests, if she is still doing her quests then what is she missing?

All the quests she would be doing if she weren't doing quests ten times her level?

Faelynn LeAndris
posted 12-14-2004 03:59:00 PM
quote:
Maradon! stopped beating up furries long enough to write:
All the quests she would be doing if she weren't doing quests ten times her level?

No.

Everyone has a Quest Log that holds a Maximum of 20 quests. If she takes all the quests in her area as soon as she can take them, like in Auberdine for example, and fills up her quest log, she cannot take anymore quests until she starts doing some and getting rid of them. In order to get rid of them, she has to be able to do them, so she must grind levels to be able to do them so she can lose them and take another quest. If she would outlevel quests doing it the fast way, she would still outlevel those same quests doing it the slow way, except with a lot more grinding. Because she will have to gain levels to do certain quests that she has, and then get the experience from the quest, so the other quest she didn't take before will be outleveled either way. One way is just much much slowwer and involves a lot more grinding.

So what does this do? This means she can take all the quests she can, and immediately start doing them, removing them, and taking more quests in their place. And like I said, you get the Blackfathom Deeps quest at level 18, its WAY to high to do when you can actually take it, but so is every other quest you can take at the same time, but it takes up a quest slot, so until she does it she cannot take another quest. She'll get a hefty chunk of experience yeah, but she wont out level any quests around that level that she still has, where if she did it the slow way and grinded experience she would have to gain levels before she could do it at ALL and that alone would start her outleveling other quests. And she'll outlevel any other quests she could have taken at the time, just trying to get to the point to where she can do the quests sitting in her Quest Log.

In FACT since she is doing nothing BUT quests and no grinding, she will actually outlevel quests SLOWER, because she is not having to gain levels to be able to do something, which is ALSO making her outlevel quests, she is ONLY leveling off quests alone.

Again, she loses nothing, except boring grinding in order to be able to do quests. And for the record, even if you outlevel a quest, you can go back and do ANY quest you missed at ANY time. You may get next to nothing for doing it, but you can still do it.

I didn't power my way through quests, and I STILL outleveled shitloads of quests without even trying, because I had to grind in order to do another quest, which means I made doubel the experience only over a much longer period of time, me an Til I know spent like an entire day just running around and doing our left over greyed out quests just to get rid of them so we could take more quests cause we didn't have any quest spots left. You'll actually miss out on more quests from having to grind to do quests between them, than if you just rely on quest experience alone, because you can move from one quest right to the next without having to grind to do it.

Faelynn LeAndris fucked around with this message on 12-14-2004 at 04:01 PM.

My LAUNCHCast Station
Flea
Pancake
posted 12-14-2004 03:59:31 PM
quote:
Maradon! Model 2000 was programmed to say:

Like Blackjacking the Peons? That was by far the most important and story altering quest to date. If you missed that one, i'm sorry, but you missed out on a lot of character development and plot twisters.

Faelynn LeAndris
posted 12-14-2004 04:03:22 PM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Dr Flea said this:
Like Blackjacking the Peons? That was by far the most important and story altering quest to date. If you missed that one, i'm sorry, but you missed out on a lot of character development and plot twisters.

You can go back and take any quest you missed at any point regardless of outleveling it or not. You can do every single quest in the game you normally could have regardless of your level.

I've gone back and done every single newbie quest on up in the Dwarf Lands when I was post 20+ Both to DO the quest, and to net the faction points for doing them.

Which has me at almost honored in all 4 factions.

Faelynn LeAndris fucked around with this message on 12-14-2004 at 04:04 PM.

My LAUNCHCast Station
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 12-14-2004 04:31:13 PM
Fae, Fal might have a point in that if she were just walked through the quests, she may not gain as much RL experience in playing the game as she would if she did them herself.

That's all I can really think of, though.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piƱa coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Faelynn LeAndris
posted 12-14-2004 04:37:33 PM
quote:
Densetsu had this to say about Robocop:
Fae, Fal might have a point in that if she were just walked through the quests, she may not gain as much RL experience in playing the game as she would if she did them herself.

That's all I can really think of, though.

Cept she is already 20, and having got thier on her own, as I pointed out. She's to the point where she is already doing the same old same old in order to get from point A to point B. Quests are the only important part.

My LAUNCHCast Station
Trent
Smurfberry Moneyshot
posted 12-14-2004 04:48:41 PM
I need to do some Blackfathom quests. One or two, I'm not sure.

So yeah, I'd like to grab some of us and go.

Not sure when I'll be on today, think I'm getting dragged out for til the early evening though.

Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 12-14-2004 06:40:04 PM
31 myself, got 201 engineering. Quest for Gnome Engineering needs a pile of mithral bars some jade and citrine. Lucky me, I havent seen a mithral vein yet.

Still, its better than the enchanting trainer, which as I recall is inside a high level instance.

(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
Maradon!
posted 12-14-2004 06:56:01 PM
I've never, ever had to grind in order to complete a quest.
Talonus
Loner
posted 12-14-2004 07:03:06 PM
quote:
Faelynn LeAndris stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
In order to get rid of them, she has to be able to do them, so she must grind levels to be able to do them so she can lose them and take another quest.

You can abandon quests then come back and get them again later. You know that right? You can also use thottbot to figure out which quests are a line of quests, allowing you to skip over some of the quests that aren't worth doing sometimes.

Edit: And sometimes you will have to grind to complete a quest. Elixir of Pain is one of those. They upped the drop rate, but you can still go a whole level killing only creepers and never get one. It also means you have terrible luck. As another example, the centaur quests in Desolace force you to grind, as you need to kill tons of centaur of one faction to gain faction with the other in order to advance the quest past the first step. God help you if you want to do both lines of quests, as that will require hours of grinding to do.

Talonus fucked around with this message on 12-14-2004 at 07:06 PM.

Inferno-Spirit
Sports Advocate
posted 12-14-2004 07:03:08 PM
quote:
So quoth Maradon!:
I've never, ever had to grind in order to complete a quest.

I recently killed about 100 of the same enemy type in an attempt to loot a rare drop called "creeper ichor" for the "Elixer of Pain" quest.(I think it was pain. Might be agony or suffering.) It never dropped. Felt like grinding to me.

It's not common, but it's there.

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 12-14-2004 07:04:55 PM
I'm 38.

I just want to know if I'll have to take some form of horse riding as a skill in order to summon/ride my nightmare.

Maradon!
posted 12-14-2004 07:05:00 PM
quote:
Inferno-Spirit stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
I recently killed about 100 of the same enemy type in an attempt to loot a rare drop called "creeper ichor" for the "Elixer of Pain" quest.(I think it was pain. Might be agony or suffering.) It never dropped. Felt like grinding to me.

It's not common, but it's there.

That's not grinding, that's completing a quest. Fae is talking about going out and leveling by killing things in order to be able to complete a quest.

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 12-14-2004 07:08:58 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Tron:
That's not grinding, that's completing a quest. Fae is talking about going out and leveling by killing things in order to be able to complete a quest.

Instead of finding other stuff to kill at 37 to kill a level 40 demon (MOTHERFUCKER HAS TO DIE) for the Orb of Orah'hil quest, I just enlisted a couple of friends and we beat the shit out of him. Twice.

Talonus
Loner
posted 12-14-2004 07:10:39 PM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Maradon! said this:

I believe the centaur quests would fall under that. Basically, to start doing the line of quests you have to heavily grind to gain faction. If I remember correctly, there isn't a reward for doing the grinding either.

Delphi, you have to pay 80h or 100g total for it. If you're honored in your home city, which you should be, it'll cost you 80g total to buy it from there. If you're not honored, it'll cost 100g total.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: