EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Doing some research
Y.O.T.C
No longer a Towel Girl
posted 10-07-2004 10:21:23 PM
Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on books/journals/resources on AI, and more specificaly, theorys on the creation of Hive mind AI. I have to present my findings in 8 weeks or so to see if i can snag some government money to cut down my college costs. So yea, requesting some good sources to get some more stuff from.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 10-08-2004 04:55:40 AM
A helpful guide:

"Yea" is pronounced "yay" and is a very formal affirmative, now used almost exclusively in sermons and parlimentary voting.

"Yeah" is the informal affirmative most people mean when they type "yea."

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

nem-x
posted 10-08-2004 05:23:28 AM
Y.O.T.C
No longer a Towel Girl
posted 10-08-2004 04:02:44 PM
Yea, i be requesting some resources on artificial intelligence.

LOG fucked around with this message on 10-08-2004 at 05:58 PM.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 10-08-2004 04:05:54 PM
You're not one of the people who can do that and be funny.

Maradon!
posted 10-08-2004 04:36:16 PM
Y.O.T.C
No longer a Towel Girl
posted 10-08-2004 05:37:42 PM
Pie.

LOG fucked around with this message on 10-08-2004 at 05:58 PM.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 10-08-2004 05:41:55 PM
quote:
Y.O.T.C had this to say about the Spice Girls:
yea, I don't seem to give a shit.

Ah, stupidity as a badge of honor.

Looks good on you.

Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 10-08-2004 05:47:34 PM
Y.O.T.C
No longer a Towel Girl
posted 10-08-2004 05:54:49 PM
quote:
From the book of Bajah, chapter 3, verse 16:

That movie sucked dude.

Taskmaster Bajah
Pancake
posted 10-08-2004 05:59:56 PM
No trolling, no off-topic crap (even the movie posters seem to be somewhat on-topic.. but where's I, Robot?), no flaming. Learn to be civil.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 10-08-2004 06:08:29 PM
Just so we can comply in the future, exactly where in the rules does it state anything about having to be on topic in a thread?

Further, the rules state:

quote:
Before posting a reply, please ask yourself the following question: "Does my reply offer any advice or contribute positively to the conversation in any fashion?" If you can answer "yes" to this, then please reply. If you cannot, then please don't reply.

My apologies: I thought my post fit quite firmly under that part of the rules.

Talonus
Loner
posted 10-08-2004 06:33:27 PM
If you're a college student (its not clear exactly), I'd recommend checking out your college's online library. Any decent college should have online access to the journals they subscribe to.

Its hard to recommend any certain one journal though. It should be easy to search the journals your college has access to online. On the other hand, if they don't have a certain journal you have a snowball's chance in hell of getting access to it. Also, depending on what you want there could be a huge difference. If you want AI in computer systems, several IEEE conference transcripts would be quite helpful. They'd be useless if you want to look into AI in medicine or from a psychological standpoint though. So its really up in the air.

If you don't have access to journals online, have fun in the library. You'll have quite a friendly relationship with your librarian heh. If you don't have access to journals at all, well... IMHO you're fucked. You're not going to get anything really scientific without that source of material.

Drysart
Pancake
posted 10-08-2004 06:35:40 PM
quote:
Bloodsage came out of the closet to say:
Just so we can comply in the future, exactly where in the rules does it state anything about having to be on topic in a thread?

The rules state not to be a dickhead. Derailing a thread on the first post where the poster is honestly looking for information about something falls under that category.

Demos
Pancake
posted 10-08-2004 06:37:07 PM
quote:
Bloodsage had this to say about Optimus Prime:

Further, the rules state:

My apologies: I thought my post fit quite firmly under that part of the rules.

There's still this part of the rules.

quote:
The world according to LOG:
No trolling...no flaming. Learn to be civil.

quote:
Bloodsage came down from heaven and spoke:
Ah, stupidity as a badge of honor.

Looks good on you.

Edit: Pre-empted by the power of blue-butt.

Demos fucked around with this message on 10-08-2004 at 06:38 PM.

"Jesus saves, Buddha enlightens, Cthulhu thinks you'll make a nice sandwich."
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 10-08-2004 06:43:00 PM
quote:
Drysart got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
The rules state not to be a dickhead. Derailing a thread on the first post where the poster is honestly looking for information about something falls under that category.

I wasn't being a dickhead. As a matter of fact, one can find several other posts of the exact same nature on the front page alone. What derailed the thread was his poor reaction; the owner of the thread derailed it, not me.

In the future, I'll try to make it more obvious when I'm simply being helpful.

Thanks for the clarification.

P.S. Could you PM me your address again? I'm still trying to set up the automated payments through the latest version of Quicken/CheckFree, and will need it to subscribe again. If they ever fix their damned processes.

Y.O.T.C
No longer a Towel Girl
posted 10-08-2004 06:52:53 PM
quote:
Talonus had this to say about Pirotess:
If you're a college student (its not clear exactly), I'd recommend checking out your college's online library. Any decent college should have online access to the journals they subscribe to.

Its hard to recommend any certain one journal though. It should be easy to search the journals your college has access to online. On the other hand, if they don't have a certain journal you have a snowball's chance in hell of getting access to it. Also, depending on what you want there could be a huge difference. If you want AI in computer systems, several IEEE conference transcripts would be quite helpful. They'd be useless if you want to look into AI in medicine or from a psychological standpoint though. So its really up in the air.

If you don't have access to journals online, have fun in the library. You'll have quite a friendly relationship with your librarian heh. If you don't have access to journals at all, well... IMHO you're fucked. You're not going to get anything really scientific without that source of material.

1. thanks for actualy answering the question, 2, i have most of the journals in a pile in my room that my college library has and im haveing a few shipped in from other in state librarys. Thanks for the advise. I spent most of today in the library.

Talonus
Loner
posted 10-08-2004 06:56:30 PM
quote:
Y.O.T.C had this to say about Tron:
1. thanks for actualy answering the question, 2, i have most of the journals in a pile in my room that my college library has and im haveing a few shipped in from other in state librarys. Thanks for the advise. I spent most of today in the library.

I really recommend that you see if you're college library has access to the journals online. It will make your life infinitely easier. Honestly, I'd be surprised if they didn't. Normally, if they have a subscription to the journal they'll be given online access as well. To not have one or the other is strange.

Demos
Pancake
posted 10-08-2004 07:34:50 PM
quote:
Bloodsage wrote this stupid crap:
I wasn't being a dickhead. As a matter of fact, one can find several other posts of the exact same nature on the front page alone. What derailed the thread was his poor reaction; the owner of the thread derailed it, not me.

In the future, I'll try to make it more obvious when I'm simply being helpful.

You baited him into it. He at first tried to roll with it until you said:

quote:
You're not one of the people who can do that and be funny.

I must have missed where that was being helpful?

"Jesus saves, Buddha enlightens, Cthulhu thinks you'll make a nice sandwich."
Peter
Pancake
posted 10-08-2004 09:01:38 PM
Iffn you be getting sum hi-yea edumaction going, Maybes you best be lookin to speaka at a teach in that particula Subgect?
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 10-09-2004 05:52:54 AM
Demos,

Don't even start. Your actions were uncivil, and I gave you a chance to back off by reminding you you weren't being funny.

How was it helpful or civil or not being a dick to deliberately flaunt being wrong after being politely corrected? And then again after I told you it wasn't funny? You chose to make it an issue.

Edit: addressed.

Bloodsage fucked around with this message on 10-09-2004 at 05:53 AM.

very important poster
a sweet title
posted 10-09-2004 08:48:13 AM
i think what everyone else seems to understand is that your post was derailing and unhelpful in the context of the thread as he was not asking to be corrected on his use of English but rather information on Artificial Intelligence.

edit: also to clarify, while you may be correct, it's not really relevant to the understanding of his questions

i hope my post will help give you a better understanding of this thread

Jens fucked around with this message on 10-09-2004 at 08:50 AM.

hey
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 10-09-2004 08:58:48 AM
quote:
Jens attempted to be funny by writing:
i think what everyone else seems to understand is that your post was derailing and unhelpful in the context of the thread as he was not asking to be corrected on his use of English but rather information on Artificial Intelligence.

edit: also to clarify, while you may be correct, it's not really relevant to the understanding of his questions

i hope my post will help give you a better understanding of this thread

Bullshit.

No one speaks with the intention of being corrected on their grammar, so your point is pointless. There is absolutely nothnig wrong with politely correcting someone when they make a mistake. It happens all the time around here, too.

Is it somehow your claim that all of the following off-topic posts are somehow my fault? How does that work?

Edit: showing someone how better to communicate their question or idea is perfectly constructive. It's also much more in the spirit of being helpful than posting movie posters for comedy value.

Bloodsage fucked around with this message on 10-09-2004 at 09:01 AM.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 10-09-2004 09:17:57 AM
P.S.

Y'all sound like the kind of "friends" who wouldn't tell a guy he's got a big honkin' booger hanging out of his nose, for fear of hurting his feelings. Would you rather your friends told you when you looked stupid, or just let you go on looking stupid?

Noxhil
Pancake
posted 10-09-2004 09:30:31 AM
quote:
Bloodsage had this to say about dark elf butts:
P.S.

Y'all sound like the kind of "friends" who wouldn't tell a guy he's got a big honkin' booger hanging out of his nose, for fear of hurting his feelings. Would you rather your friends told you when you looked stupid, or just let you go on looking stupid?

I was fine with it until Y.O.T.C. tried to shrug it off with a joke and you told him he can't be funny, then it looked to me like you were being a dick.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 10-09-2004 09:35:59 AM
quote:
Noxhil's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:
I was fine with it until Y.O.T.C. tried to shrug it off with a joke and you told him he can't be funny, then it looked to me like you were being a dick.

How was that shrugging it off with a joke?

When someone says, "Dude, you've got a huge booger hanging from your nose," you don't shrug and cock your head so folks get a better view.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: