EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: False Hope

can you please fix my title
posted 01-14-2004 09:37:47 PM
a few years back when they were expanding url extentions I pre ordered about 100 of them hoping in the lottery or simple over sight i might get domain names like

Harleydavision.us
cocacola.us
pepsi.us
ford.us

ETC ETC....

today i was renewing one of mydomains and I mentioned to the guy I kinda forgot all the domains I had regeistered to me, and he sent me a list. in that list it stated I was the registered owner of cocacola.us!!

I was wow I can now offer to sell that to Coke or an retailer for free coke or some reasonable amount. Thing was I recall being told that somehow eventhough I had registered very well in advance and that these were basicly first come first serve on the date they opened registration by computer no less. I didnt get a single one. so I called up Go Daddy and asked they said at one time I had it but it was removed. doesnt sound right to me, but the bottom line is I dont own it.

what a let down for all of 10 mins I thought I had something nice.

Im confused as always[xIMG]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/356687/somthorsig3.JPG[/img]
diadem
eet bugz
posted 01-14-2004 09:41:21 PM
isn't cybersquatting illeagle?

one of my pet peeves are leaches trying to exploit other people's hard work

play da best song in da world or me eet your soul
KaLourin
Illanae's Stooge!
posted 01-14-2004 09:44:02 PM
quite illegal. You're lucky you didn't have to deal with their legal department,
especially considering what you just admitted intending to do with the domain.
Dont make me slap you so hard your bucket spins around, and around,and stops sideways,thus confusing you, and making you run about London wearing your bucket, a g-string, and carrying a stick,smacking the ground while yelling "MAGICALLY DELICIOUS! MAGICALLY FUCKING DELICIOUS!"- {Tal} to Mortious
Hebrew 9:3- 'And the Lord said unto me, "Dude, there isn't a K in covenant."' - Snoota

This beer drops trou and fucks your mouth with pure hoppy goodness. - Karnaj

posted 01-14-2004 09:54:43 PM
not really I could have jsut as easily put up a collectors page or a fan page. offering them the right of first refusal is likly not illegal at all.

While I am not knowlegable about this cybersquating i cant see how it could possibly be ilegal to register domain names that you can sell in the future for profit.

Im confused as always[xIMG]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/356687/somthorsig3.JPG[/img]
Snugglits
I LIKE TO ABUSE THE ALERT MOD BUTTON AND I ENJOY THE FLAVOR OF SWEET SWEET COCK.
posted 01-14-2004 10:00:20 PM
No one cares about .us, though.
[b].sig removed by Mr. Parcelan[/b]
Gunslinger Moogle
No longer a gimmick
posted 01-14-2004 10:03:20 PM
quote:
Kalculus Kid or Mathinator or Waisz painfully thought these words up:
No one cares about .us, though.

You goth.

moogle is the 3241727861th binary digit of pi

Disclaimer: I'm just kidding, I love all living things.
The fastest draw in the Crest.
"The Internet is MY critical thinking course." -Maradon
"Gambling for the husband, an abortion for the wife and fireworks for the kids they chose to keep? Fuck you, Disneyland. The Pine Ridge Indian Reservation is the happiest place on Earth." -JooJooFlop

Gikk
SCA babe!!!
posted 01-14-2004 10:05:24 PM
quote:
Somthor had this to say about pies:
register domain names that you can sell in the future for profit.

When talking about selling them to the original company - say hello to cybersquatting.

posted 01-14-2004 10:07:11 PM
cyber squating

(ii) Bad faith intent described under subparagraph (A) shall not be found in any case in which the court determines that the person believed and had reasonable grounds to believe that the use of the domain name was a fair use or otherwise lawful.

see above I'm in the clear.

Snugglits
I LIKE TO ABUSE THE ALERT MOD BUTTON AND I ENJOY THE FLAVOR OF SWEET SWEET COCK.
posted 01-14-2004 10:08:22 PM
quote:
Somthor spewed forth this undeniable truth:
cyber squating

(ii) Bad faith intent described under subparagraph (A) shall not be found in any case in which the court determines that the person believed and had reasonable grounds to believe that the use of the domain name was a fair use or otherwise lawful.

see above I'm in the clear.

Ah, I see being a brainless moron is an excuse to break the law now.

[b].sig removed by Mr. Parcelan[/b]

posted 01-14-2004 10:10:38 PM
still dont see where its illegal to offer right of first refusal to the interested parties. if they dont want it then I'd use them for a fan page or a collection. or just bragging rights.

wouldnt it be cool to have Ford.us and post a picture of your ford product? I think so.

Zaza
I don't give a damn.
posted 01-14-2004 10:13:32 PM
Leach.

posted 01-14-2004 10:14:43 PM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Kalculus Kid or Mathinator or Waisz wrote:
Ah, I see being a brainless moron is an excuse to break the law now.

If you ask me its the same as buying futures in the stock market. you buy them in the hopes the price will go up and you will make profit. If they go down you lose money.

you dont have to be a brainless moron as you suggested you just need to have the expectation what you were doing was legal. until now I could honestly say that. I guess big companies still pressure legislation to protect their profits.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: