EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Hoping Satan-mart gets a lump of coal

can you please fix my title
posted 11-29-2003 01:11:48 PM
ORANGE CITY, Fla. - A mob of shoppers rushing for a sale on DVD players trampled the first woman in line and knocked her unconscious as they scrambled for the shelves at a Wal-Mart Supercenter.

Patricia VanLester had her eye on a $29 DVD player, but when the siren blared at 6 a.m. Friday announcing the start to the post-Thanksgiving sale, the 41-year-old was knocked to the ground by the frenzy of shoppers behind her.

She was flown to Halifax Medical Center in Daytona Beach, where doctors told the family VanLester had a seizure after she was knocked down and would likely remain hospitalized through the weekend

Ellzey said Wal-Mart officials called later Friday to ask about her sister, and the store apologized and offered to put a DVD player on hold for her.

Wal-Mart Stores spokeswoman Karen Burk said

"We are very disappointed this happened," "We want her to come back as a shopper."

gee you'd think they would have the savy to jsut comp the $29.00... I smell lawsuit

Im confused as always[xIMG]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/356687/somthorsig3.JPG[/img]
Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 11-29-2003 01:13:55 PM
And how is any of this Wal-Mart's fault?
Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 11-29-2003 01:17:27 PM
You could leave out the parts where WalMart employees tried to help and even fight the mob to get to her, I suppose.
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=9&u=/ap/20031129/ap_on_re_us/trampled_shopper_2

Azymyth
Not gay; just weird
posted 11-29-2003 01:18:01 PM
Eh. Can't really fault the store for moronic customer behavior.
I suffer from CRS: Can't Remember Shit.

Sig pic done by the very talented SJen!

Maradon!
posted 11-29-2003 01:20:04 PM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Bajah:
You could leave out the parts where WalMart employees tried to help and even fight the mob to get to her, I suppose.
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=9&u=/ap/20031129/ap _on_re_us/trampled_shopper_2

But that wouldn't be anti-capitolist!

Damn commies!

posted 11-29-2003 01:28:21 PM
quote:
Bajah wrote this stupid crap:
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=9&u=/ap/20031129/ap _on_re_us/trampled_shopper_2

what employees? Ellzey said some shoppers tried to help VanLester, and one employee helped Ellzey reach her sister, but most people just continued their rush for deals.

one person? after the mob trampled her?

how about wal mart is responsible becuse A) it happened in their store B) they created the atmospher that led to the incident with the 6 am siren and lack of additional personel on hand to deal with any problems C) they were dumping the DvD players on the market below cost.

the orginal story was edited for space reasons and to get the point across.

Wal-mart is evil im not anti caplist im jsut anti wal-mart

Im confused as always[xIMG]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/356687/somthorsig3.JPG[/img]
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 11-29-2003 01:28:58 PM
This just shows how far people will go to save 14 dollars.

I was in the Wal Mart Thanksgiving day (My grandpa needed me to buy him a few things). I heard the guy say that the 43 dollar player they had was being discounted to 29 dollars

I'm sorry, but there alot of morons around nowadays, sadly.

I mean, Wal Mart did what they could to help, but there wasn't anything they could do. It wasn't their fault, it was the moronic customers who think saving 14 dollars is worth all this.

People took off work for this crap, to save maybe 100-200 dollars in a day, when maybe half of those people could have made that in working a full 8 hour day.

Just like people taking 4 hours off of work to wait at a gas station to save 40 cents a gallon on gas.

People hear the world sale, and they go fucking nuts.

Suddar
posted 11-29-2003 01:30:18 PM
More than anything I think it's sad that they blast a siren like this it's some sort of horse race or something.

It's not Wal-mart's fault at all though. Those people are pretty sick. I hope everybody who was there sees this article and feels ashamed of themselves.

[ 11-29-2003: Message edited by: Suddar ]

Jajahotep
Vader to Deth's Obi-wan
posted 11-29-2003 01:30:27 PM
Hey.. if you're going to be a dumbass and take part in Black Friday sales, you have to know there are risks involved.

Next time, move faster.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 11-29-2003 01:43:11 PM
quote:
Jajahotep had this to say about Captain Planet:
Hey.. if you're going to be a dumbass and take part in Black Friday sales, you have to know there are risks involved.

Next time, move faster.

Or be smart, stay at home, and laugh at the dumbasses they show on tv that sit there fighting to get in first.

Jajahotep
Vader to Deth's Obi-wan
posted 11-29-2003 01:46:13 PM
quote:
Falaanla Marr had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
Or be smart, stay at home, and laugh at the dumbasses they show on tv that sit there fighting to get in first.

That's what I did.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 11-29-2003 01:46:39 PM
So I'm a dumbass now, Fal? I go to Black Friday sales. I went last year, and went this year. Fun thing for my Mom and I to do, and nice to get some bargains on things we want to get for the family.

But because of that, I'm a dumbass. Yeah.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 11-29-2003 01:49:15 PM
quote:
Lyinar Ka`Bael's fortune cookie read:
So I'm a dumbass now, Fal? I go to Black Friday sales. I went last year, and went this year. Fun thing for my Mom and I to do, and nice to get some bargains on things we want to get for the family.

The dumbasses are the ones that fight, punch, claw, kick, scrape, bite, and trample for these sales.

Suddar
posted 11-29-2003 01:49:27 PM
Jajahotep said it first.

I'd go to black friday sales if only because it's an experience. Especially if people do stuff like that. Imagine all of the memories.

Jajahotep
Vader to Deth's Obi-wan
posted 11-29-2003 01:52:13 PM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when Lyinar Ka`Bael said:

No.. not a dumbass. You know the risks going into it. It's the people who want to go and they don't move when the crowd moves.

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 11-29-2003 01:57:30 PM
quote:
Lyinar Ka`Bael stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:

Yikes. Didn't have a very good time yesterday or something?

I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 11-29-2003 04:01:50 PM
No we didn't. I went with Lyinar and her mother, and it is rather rude to summarily call people who go out on Black Friday dumbasses. The fact is that the mob of people are the ones who went out of control. Dunno about there, but here they had more than enough DVD players. We got there at close to seven (nearly 2 hours before the Blitz started), and there were still plenty of DVD players. Stores that do these blitz-style deals on Black Friday try to stock as many as they can reasonably expect to sell, and more or less have to deal with it when people don't get what they want.

It is NOT, however, the store's fault that people are willing to trample other human beings for a $30 DVD player. Dunno about there, but at the Wal-Mart here they were going out of their way to reduce the stress you feel getting in lines (express layaway for people who've done layaway with Wal-Mart before, express checkout away from the main checkout lines for people using credit cards, hordes of staff on hand). There were sheriffs in the store keeping an eye on the crowd, etc. At some point, there's nothing more that a store can do.

But calling people morons for going out and shopping on the media-touted "Biggest shopping day of the year" is equally stupid. Oho, you're so superior for sitting on your ass all day vegetating after having stuffed yourself the day before. Got all your Christmas shopping done? If so, then your point about Christmas shopping is well-made, so shut the fuck up already. If not, then you're even lazier than originally expected. Did *I* enjoy going out shopping yesterday? Not as much as Lyinar and her Mom, but then I have the common sense to realize that some peoples' interests aren't the same as my own.

I like comic books a lot. Not everyone does. If a comic book store offered an old antique comic for an insane price and the customers blitzed the store, trampling and crushing one another, would you blame the comic store? Nope. It's the crazy people.

And it's the crazy people who get TOO hyped up about Black Friday, not people who go out in general.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 11-29-2003 04:06:46 PM
Uh, Fal said the dumbasses were the ones fighting to get in first. Jajah was the one who said they're all dumbasses, if I read correctly.

Hey, though: if we're going to have a meaningless fight, I'm here! Can I play, too?

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

KaLourin
Illanae's Stooge!
posted 11-29-2003 04:11:39 PM
yay for meaningless fights!

*clocks Sage in the nose with a cold slab of ham*

Dont make me slap you so hard your bucket spins around, and around,and stops sideways,thus confusing you, and making you run about London wearing your bucket, a g-string, and carrying a stick,smacking the ground while yelling "MAGICALLY DELICIOUS! MAGICALLY FUCKING DELICIOUS!"- {Tal} to Mortious
Hebrew 9:3- 'And the Lord said unto me, "Dude, there isn't a K in covenant."' - Snoota

This beer drops trou and fucks your mouth with pure hoppy goodness. - Karnaj
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 11-29-2003 04:13:34 PM
*Takes a bite on the backswing*

*Quickly fashions a flail from angel-hair and penne pasta*

En guarde!

KaLourin
Illanae's Stooge!
posted 11-29-2003 04:16:28 PM
oh ho...

*brandishes a bladed war-fan made of lasagna, and an open pot of sauce*

I accept your challenge!

Dont make me slap you so hard your bucket spins around, and around,and stops sideways,thus confusing you, and making you run about London wearing your bucket, a g-string, and carrying a stick,smacking the ground while yelling "MAGICALLY DELICIOUS! MAGICALLY FUCKING DELICIOUS!"- {Tal} to Mortious
Hebrew 9:3- 'And the Lord said unto me, "Dude, there isn't a K in covenant."' - Snoota

Trent
Smurfberry Moneyshot
posted 11-29-2003 04:17:27 PM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Bloodsage was all like:
Uh, Fal said the dumbasses were the ones fighting to get in first. Jajah was the one who said they're all dumbasses, if I read correctly.

He's right ya know.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 11-29-2003 04:23:36 PM
*Balances on the tip of his left pinkie, right elbow, and left buttock, pasta flail held menacingly near his right ankle*

No one can overcome the mystical form Falling Down the Stairs!

Hostile Makeover
Evil as chocolate covered thistles
posted 11-29-2003 04:24:01 PM
Grumpy-ass bastards!

*lobs holiday cheer-balls at half the thread*

Trent
Smurfberry Moneyshot
posted 11-29-2003 04:25:59 PM
quote:
Xyrra wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
Grumpy-ass bastards!

*lobs holiday cheer-balls at half the thread*

*catches a holiday cheer-ball ,paints it black and tosses it into the abyss*

KaLourin
Illanae's Stooge!
posted 11-29-2003 04:32:31 PM
quote:
Bloodsage had this to say about Robocop:
*Balances on the tip of his left pinkie, right elbow, and left buttock, pasta flail held menacingly near his right ankle*

No one can overcome the mystical form Falling Down the Stairs!

pfah.. You know not what you speak of..

*makes a wide eyed, swallowing motion while waving the fan about*

So Hot You Swallow Instead of Spitting It Back Out Instead! shall defeat you

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 11-29-2003 04:37:37 PM
*Tumbles about, knocking over furniture, waving the flail, and generally bruising innocent bystanders*

KaLourin
Illanae's Stooge!
posted 11-29-2003 04:44:21 PM
*would attack, but is dealing with overly hot food stuck in his throat. He tosses the pot of sauce at Fal and grabs a pitcher of water*

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 11-29-2003 04:54:39 PM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Trent was all like:
*catches a holiday cheer-ball ,paints it black and tosses it into the abyss*

You're just too goth for words.

I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Trent
Smurfberry Moneyshot
posted 11-29-2003 04:57:37 PM
quote:
From the book of JooJooFlop, chapter 3, verse 16:
You're just too goth for words.

*sniffles* Why thank you.

Snoota
Now I am become Death, shatterer of worlds
posted 11-29-2003 05:30:24 PM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Somthor:
how about wal mart is responsible becuse A) it happened in their store B) they created the atmospher that led to the incident with the 6 am siren and lack of additional personel on hand to deal with any problems C) they were dumping the DvD players on the market below cost.

None of which make it Wal-Mart's fault.

quote:
the orginal story was edited for space reasons and to get the point across.

If you have to edit out important details to make your point then you had no point to begin with.

posted 11-29-2003 05:52:53 PM
yes editing out the non esential parts is somthing that no one respectible news person would do.......

Dumping items (the sale of items of below cost) is illegal. since this occurred and Wal mart does this constantly they are partialy at fault here

creating the atmoshpher of the contest with the siren and the apperence of limited time and supply is also wal marts responiblity

did the Evil Wal-mart wisper into the ears of its shopper drones and say trample that lady and anyone else who gets in your way? no they did not

will a jury in a civil court think that wal mart is entrily blameless here? no they wont

anyway Its all my opion anyhow who really cares if som lady got trampled due to poor company policy

Mr. Parcelan
posted 11-29-2003 05:55:21 PM
*farts*

posted 11-29-2003 05:58:47 PM
excuse me sir do you need a match?
Naimah
In a Fire
posted 11-29-2003 06:02:13 PM
quote:
Somthor enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:
yes editing out the non esential parts is somthing that no one respectible news person would do.......

Dumping items (the sale of items of below cost) is illegal. since this occurred and Wal mart does this constantly they are partialy at fault here

creating the atmoshpher of the contest with the siren and the apperence of limited time and supply is also wal marts responiblity

did the Evil Wal-mart wisper into the ears of its shopper drones and say trample that lady and anyone else who gets in your way? no they did not

will a jury in a civil court think that wal mart is entrily blameless here? no they wont

anyway Its all my opion anyhow who really cares if som lady got trampled due to poor company policy

Opinions like those are what is wrong with American society. Oh it isn't the individuals fault, it's the corporations. People acted irresponsible? Wait, no it was the coporations that made them act responsible. There is only one solution to this atrocity, lets sue.

posted 11-29-2003 06:05:35 PM
yes its a horrible socity we live in when people can openly express thier own thoughts.

wal mart however created the atphospher that led up to this event they have shown contempt to the american people and its laws. hopefully a few good lawsuits will change their policies.

[ 11-29-2003: Message edited by: Somthor ]

Drysart
Pancake
posted 11-29-2003 06:08:38 PM
quote:
What the Somthor??
wal mart however created the atphospher that led up to this event

They had a sale and opened their doors at a specific time?

Oh for shame Wal-Mart!!

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 11-29-2003 06:10:31 PM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Somthor said this:
yes its a horrible socity we live in when people can openly express thier own thoughts.

wal mart however created the atphospher that led up to this event they have shwon contempt to the american people and its laws. hopefully a few good lawsuits will change their policies.

First I never said that you couldn't express your opinions I just said that those opinions were what are wrong with society.

You say your not sue happy yet your placing blame on a corporation instead of the individuals who commited the blatently illeagle act. People need to realize that we are not just pack animals and should attempt to exibit self control no matter the situation. Mob mentality is not an excuse in my mind.

Hostile Makeover
Evil as chocolate covered thistles
posted 11-29-2003 06:10:32 PM
*moves up to lobbing holiday-cheer grenades*
BetaTested
Not gay, but loves the cock!
posted 11-29-2003 06:13:10 PM
Is it the owners and opereators of european Soccor stadiums fault that people have riots because their team lost? Is it their fault because they held a game alot of people had strong emotions for that fans started beating and trampling each other to death? Surely it is!

I hate Walmart, I really do. I avoid going there as much as possible. It's over crowded as hell, and everything is always picked over. But it's not THEIR fault that a bunch of assholes walked over a woman.

[edit] And how do you KNOW that Walmart is taking a loss on the sale of that DVD player? Maybe they got it for $22 from the distributor and jacked the price up that high. Sounds reasonable to me. There's a TON of lines that products go through to reach a shelf. From the factory, to a distributor, to another distributor, to a warehouse, then to the shelf. Maybe Walmart just cuts out a few of those distrubtors. And thusly their price is cheaper because the item wasn't bought 4 times first, with everyone making a profit off of it. [/edit]

[ 11-29-2003: Message edited by: BetaTested ]

Got Xfire? Join me in the crusade to knock WoW from it's lofty #1 most played Xfire game with Solitare!
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: