EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: EverQuest exposes cost of sexism
Vernaltemptress
Withered and Alone
posted 06-25-2003 03:50:53 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3016434.stm

If males make up 90% of the total number of people playing EverQuest, looks like I need to get dolled up and jump in!

Obamanomics: spend, tax, and borrow.
Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 06-25-2003 03:52:37 PM
quote:
Some EverQuest species are hard to sex

Then they ain't tryin too hard! Bowchikkabowbow.

Suddar
posted 06-25-2003 05:42:04 PM
quote:
By studying the price that people are prepared to pay to buy high-level or experienced characters from websites such as PlayerAuctions.com, Prof Castronova has found that people spend more on male avatars.

Could this--maybe--be because 90% of EverQuest's players are male, as documented in the article, and that--MAYBE--they'd rather play a character that is their own sex? Maybe they're just more comfortable with it?

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 06-25-2003 07:00:06 PM
Of course, I'm the odd one. I can't stand playing a male character even though I'm male in real life.

Steven Steve
posted 06-25-2003 07:25:22 PM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Falaanla Marr said:
Of course, I'm the odd one. I can't stand playing a male character even though I'm male in real life.

I would play a female character sometimes, but I'm afraid people would notice and then think I'm a wuss hehe

"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Zaza
I don't give a damn.
posted 06-25-2003 07:26:54 PM
quote:
Suddar spewed forth this undeniable truth:
Could this--maybe--be because 90% of EverQuest's players are male, as documented in the article, and that--MAYBE--they'd rather play a character that is their own sex? Maybe they're just more comfortable with it?

SEXISM.

Nicole
The hip-hop-happiest bunny in all of marshmallow woods
posted 06-25-2003 09:51:35 PM
quote:
Suddar had this to say about dark elf butts:

Oh, obviously not. No, this obviously means everyone in EQ is a sexist pig or the population would be more females despite the fact that it's predominantly male. They must all be gay and hate the b00bies. Or sexist and need to be shot.

IT'S THE ONLY ANSWER, PEOPLE!

I just spent
my last cent
purchasing this poverty.

Y.O.T.C
No longer a Towel Girl
posted 06-25-2003 09:55:23 PM
quote:
Falaanla Marr had this to say about Reading Rainbow:

I'm with Fal on that one.

KaLourin
Illanae's Stooge!
posted 06-25-2003 10:20:04 PM
*reads the article*

sexism ahoy mates..

Dont make me slap you so hard your bucket spins around, and around,and stops sideways,thus confusing you, and making you run about London wearing your bucket, a g-string, and carrying a stick,smacking the ground while yelling "MAGICALLY DELICIOUS! MAGICALLY FUCKING DELICIOUS!"- {Tal} to Mortious
Hebrew 9:3- 'And the Lord said unto me, "Dude, there isn't a K in covenant."' - Snoota

This beer drops trou and fucks your mouth with pure hoppy goodness. - Karnaj
diadem
eet bugz
posted 06-25-2003 10:31:20 PM
as much as the article's points have holes big enough to drive a battleship through, there isn't a person here who could can deny the fact that female avatars are treated very differently than male avatars.

However, this isn't just eq. it's most online communities in general

play da best song in da world or me eet your soul
Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 06-25-2003 10:45:14 PM
Male or female, I play according to what fits my character concept best (often, this depends on what looks better).

Humans, Vah Shir, Iksar and Ogres I play males. All the elves and the occasional halfling I play as females. Barbarians and Gnomes I've played as both.

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
KaLourin
Illanae's Stooge!
posted 06-25-2003 10:49:10 PM
some people do it to... well... roleplay. Yeah yeah i know, RP is dead in EQ.. but we are still "playing a role" in the game. If i feel like playing a female halfelf paladin (which i have), there's no ulterior motive or genderbending or "seeing how the other half lives."

It's a character. nothing more.

Dont make me slap you so hard your bucket spins around, and around,and stops sideways,thus confusing you, and making you run about London wearing your bucket, a g-string, and carrying a stick,smacking the ground while yelling "MAGICALLY DELICIOUS! MAGICALLY FUCKING DELICIOUS!"- {Tal} to Mortious
Hebrew 9:3- 'And the Lord said unto me, "Dude, there isn't a K in covenant."' - Snoota

Tal NSFW!!
Pancake
posted 06-26-2003 02:56:39 AM
If the game is a 3/4 view, or I have to look at my character a lot.

I play female.

I dont wanna be staring at a dude for 5 hours a day while I enjoy my little obsession.. people might think odd things of me.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 06-26-2003 03:37:18 AM
quote:
KaLourin attempted to be funny by writing:
some people do it to... well... roleplay. Yeah yeah i know, RP is dead in EQ.. but we are still "playing a role" in the game. If i feel like playing a female halfelf paladin (which i have), there's no ulterior motive or genderbending or "seeing how the other half lives."

Stop lying. You do it for the cyber and free items, like ALL us guys do!

Snugglits
I LIKE TO ABUSE THE ALERT MOD BUTTON AND I ENJOY THE FLAVOR OF SWEET SWEET COCK.
posted 06-26-2003 03:39:35 AM
I don't think I've ever played a female character in an MMORPG, unless it was a brief, low-levelled random character.
[b].sig removed by Mr. Parcelan[/b]
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 06-26-2003 03:41:01 AM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when Where's Waisz? said:
I don't think I've ever played a female character in an MMORPG, unless it was a brief, low-levelled random character.

Yeah. I got some bard in EQ to 15... She's rotting on the Rathe right now.

Monica
I've got an owie on my head :(
posted 06-26-2003 04:00:31 AM
quote:
"There are very few female ogres and trolls," he wrote in his study.

this guy is a rocket scientist.

Arrenn Lightblade
Yes. Yes he is.
posted 06-26-2003 04:02:01 AM
I got to play with a 50 something SK once or twice, and let me tell you, they get no special treatment. Well..Maybe the fact that it was a female ogre named foxxi has something to do with it.
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 06-26-2003 08:03:14 AM
quote:
KaLourin had this to say about Matthew Broderick:

Yup. I don't have female characters, but that is the primary motivation for me to play certain race/class combos. I get sick to death of people telling me what race is best for, say, shamans. I have a barbarian shaman and he's a barbarian for roleplay reasons.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 06-26-2003 02:22:43 PM
quote:
Azureusu startled the peaceful upland Gorillas by blurting:
If the game is a 3/4 view, or I have to look at my character a lot.

I play female.

I dont wanna be staring at a dude for 5 hours a day while I enjoy my little obsession...

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Steven Steve
posted 06-26-2003 02:32:13 PM
If people actually roleplay, it would be kinda harder to be the opposite sex, unless it was some stupid cliche crap, like a "tomboy" or "bookworm" or other such nonsense. It kinda makes me feel odd as I'm punching and kicking/maiming/slashing giant mutant beasts if I'm a little fluffy girl.
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 06-26-2003 02:33:12 PM
I cant agrue with sage's reasoning either.
Reyolen
Wanders too much for a custom title
posted 06-26-2003 03:34:09 PM
When EQ came out I didn't like how male high elves looked, so I made a female one. Simple as that.
Trillee
I <3 My Deviant
posted 06-26-2003 03:42:06 PM
*coughs*made a male wood elf slave.. er.. mule! yeah.. mule...

KaLourin
Illanae's Stooge!
posted 06-27-2003 12:53:57 AM
quote:
Falaanla Marr's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:
Stop lying. You do it for the cyber and free items, like ALL us guys do!

On the contrary, I get all the cyber I need with KaL. The paladins in the guild really love being around me. As for free gear, Kaeliana has not once received a single piece of free gear from a male player. Neither has Syn, except for fellow guild mates and friends.

My excuse? I don't play her as the cutsey giggly smiling type that MOST guys play females as.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 06-27-2003 01:04:22 AM
quote:
From the book of Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael, chapter 3, verse 16:
Yup. I don't have female characters, but that is the primary motivation for me to play certain race/class combos. I get sick to death of people telling me what race is best for, say, shamans. I have a barbarian shaman and he's a barbarian for roleplay reasons.

Or how everyone told me I shouldn't play Melisande the Human Enchanter because human enchanters sucked and Dark Elf/Erudite/High Elf/etc were so much better. She's human for RP reasons, as all my characters are their races for RP reasons.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 06-27-2003 01:06:57 AM
quote:
KaLourin thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:
On the contrary, I get all the cyber I need with KaL.

That's referring just to Synjari I hope...

KaLourin
Illanae's Stooge!
posted 06-27-2003 01:12:03 AM
quote:
Lyinar Ka`Bael attempted to be funny by writing:
That's referring just to Synjari I hope...

"I get all the cyber I need with KaL. The paladins in the guild really love being around me."

I corrupt more than just minds

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 06-27-2003 01:24:04 AM
quote:
Check out the big brain on KaLourin!
"I get all the cyber I need with KaL. The paladins in the guild really love being around me."

I corrupt more than just minds

...you're married though...

Trillee
I <3 My Deviant
posted 06-27-2003 01:30:43 AM
quote:
Lyinar Ka`Bael had this to say about Robocop:
...you're married though...

and...?

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 06-27-2003 03:03:51 AM
quote:
From the book of Trillee, chapter 3, verse 16:
and...?

It makes me wonder why you bother getting married if you have no intention of honoring it.

Il Buono
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend.
posted 06-27-2003 03:08:04 AM
Now, I know this is a foreign concept to some...

...but everything doesn't have to be taken at face value

"Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."
Lashanna
noob
posted 06-27-2003 03:09:47 AM
Wow, way to go, Lyinar.

*shoots her two thumbs up*

Dad's going to kill you. Really. He is.
Skaw
posted 06-27-2003 03:11:33 AM
quote:
Lyinar Ka`Bael had this to say about Duck Tales:
She's human for RP reasons

Skaw's human, and as Taylen reminded me in IRC, following a deity(Rodcet Nife,) because I'm a masochist*
*not really masochist

[ 06-27-2003: Message edited by: Skaw ]

Gikk
SCA babe!!!
posted 06-27-2003 03:27:50 AM
quote:
Lashanna had this to say about Pirotess:
Wow, way to go, Lyinar.

*shoots her two thumbs up*

Yay for being judgmental~

KaLourin
Illanae's Stooge!
posted 06-27-2003 03:38:15 AM
oh for the love of god almighty...

the paladins in the guild are male ok? I openly joke about homosexuality in game, here and in chat. Tal, Snoota, Trent.. You actually take me seriously?

For the record, I don't fool around on Syn. In game or out. real or cyber. But then again, what does it matter? We love each other. We're happy. Maybe it turns her on if I do it, or me if she does it.

Synjari
Warrior Princess
Cookie Seraphim!
posted 06-27-2003 03:38:22 AM
quote:
Lyinar Ka`Bael had this to say about Knight Rider:
It makes me wonder why you bother getting married if you have no intention of honoring it.

Bitch.. keep your comments the fuck to yourself.. you know NOTHING about my goddamned marriage.. you are not here when I fuck my husband.. so shut the fuck up. And learn to take a goddamned joke!

"Villiany wears many masks, none of which are more dangerous than virtue." - "Sleepy Hollow"
Skaw
posted 06-27-2003 03:46:31 AM
quote:
Gikkwiny thought about the meaning of life:
Yay for being judgmental~

Not really judgemental as much as reading way, way, way too far into things.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 06-27-2003 03:47:33 AM
I feel like I should be chanting "Jer-ry! Jer-ry!"
Black
The Outlaw Torn
posted 06-27-2003 03:51:33 AM
Take it to flameball, ladies.

Clothes optional.

Time was never on my side.
So on I wait my whole lifetime.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: