EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Damn stupid CD copy protection.
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 06-20-2003 02:21:38 PM
Boy. Get 3 new CDs today, try to record em to MP3s...they dont want to with EAC. NOT AT ALL. Look on the back. the two that wont record? Both have some form of copy protection. After enough fiddling around, I got em to take.

Thanks Pirates!

[ 06-20-2003: Message edited by: Falaanla Marr ]

Bloodcookie
Pancake
posted 06-20-2003 02:23:14 PM
I've never come across a copy-protected CD. Which ones were they?

""...destructive analysis of the familiar is the only method of approach to an understanding of fundamentally different modes of expression." -Edward Sapir, Language
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 06-20-2003 02:28:42 PM
quote:
Bloodcookie had this to say about pies:
I've never come across a copy-protected CD. Which ones were they?

E Nomine: Das Testament
E Nomine: Die Prophezeiung

Blindy
Roll for initiative, Monkey Boy!
posted 06-20-2003 02:28:43 PM
quote:
I like it when Falaanla Marr says:
Boy. Get 3 new CDs today, try to record em to MP3s...they dont want to with EAC. NOT AT ALL. Look on the back. the two that wont record? Both have some form of copy protection. After enough fiddling around, I got em to take.

Thanks Pirates!

don't thank us, thank the record companies for violating Phillips technical specs on CD file structure, and still illegally using the CD symbol to feign compatablilty.

On a plane ride, the more it shakes,
The more I have to let go.
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 06-20-2003 02:29:35 PM
quote:
Sergeant Blindy spewed forth this undeniable truth:
don't thank us, thank the record companies for violating Phillips technical specs on CD file structure, and still illegally using the CD symbol to feign compatablilty.

Yet if people hadnt pirated so damn much, there wouldnt be a NEED for copy protection

Trillee
I <3 My Deviant
posted 06-20-2003 02:36:18 PM
quote:
We were all impressed when Falaanla Marr wrote:
Yet if people hadnt pirated so damn much, there wouldnt be a NEED for copy protection

If CDs weren't so damned expensive people wouldn't need to pirate them!

Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 06-20-2003 02:37:25 PM
How about we blame both the record companies AND the pirates?

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Ruvie's Alt
Haven't you always wanted a monkey?
posted 06-20-2003 02:53:45 PM
Y'ARR!
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 06-20-2003 03:03:23 PM
quote:
Palador ChibiDragon had this to say about Punky Brewster:
How about we blame both the record companies AND the pirates?

I'll give you that one.

Trillee
I <3 My Deviant
posted 06-20-2003 03:13:31 PM
quote:
Falaanla Marr had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
I'll give you that one.

I blame Innoruuk

Vorbis
Vend-A-Goat
posted 06-20-2003 03:25:27 PM
HAAAAARRRRRRRRRR
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 06-20-2003 04:10:33 PM
Did you try copying CD-to-CDR?
Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 06-20-2003 04:55:53 PM
quote:
Ford Prefect thought about the meaning of life:
Did you try copying CD-to-CDR?

No, thats a waste of CDRs

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 06-20-2003 05:18:00 PM
quote:
Falaanla Marr is attacking the darkness!
No, thats a waste of CDRs
But it will tell you the extent of the copyright protection.
Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Jajahotep
Vader to Deth's Obi-wan
posted 06-20-2003 05:46:44 PM
quote:
Trillee wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
I blame Innoruuk

I blame Snoota.

Snugglits
I LIKE TO ABUSE THE ALERT MOD BUTTON AND I ENJOY THE FLAVOR OF SWEET SWEET COCK.
posted 06-20-2003 05:49:12 PM
quote:
Falaanla Marr had this to say about Pirotess:

Using illegal means to stop illegal means does not put them in the right!

Your logic is heavily flawed!

[b].sig removed by Mr. Parcelan[/b]
Jargum
Doughnut
posted 06-20-2003 05:56:46 PM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Jajahotep said this:
I blame Snoota.

I blame the ceolocanth

Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 06-20-2003 05:57:49 PM
They are not using illegal means to stop pirates. Sure the use of the CD logo is illegal. but the copy protection is not.
"Pacifism is a privilege of the protected"
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 06-20-2003 05:57:57 PM
quote:
Where's Waisz? had this to say about the Spice Girls:
Using illegal means to stop illegal means does not put them in the right!

Your logic is heavily flawed!

What the fuck did you just say again?

Never said that the CD companies were in the right here. But there wasnt all this uber CD lockdown till the past few years.

Snugglits
I LIKE TO ABUSE THE ALERT MOD BUTTON AND I ENJOY THE FLAVOR OF SWEET SWEET COCK.
posted 06-20-2003 05:59:00 PM
quote:
Azizza stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
They are not using illegal means to stop pirates. Sure the use of the CD logo is illegal. but the copy protection is not.

Most of those fruity copy protected cds won't even play on a computer music cd player.

It may not be illegal, but it's damn stupid.

Snugglits
posted 06-20-2003 06:00:15 PM
quote:
Falaanla Marr wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
What the fuck did you just say again?

Never said that the CD companies were in the right here. But there wasnt all this uber CD lockdown till the past few years.

And yet it hasn't phased the pirating...

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 06-20-2003 06:04:25 PM
Say it.

Going limp...

HAARRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Grendel
Pancake
posted 06-20-2003 06:06:34 PM
quote:
Falaanla Marr had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
E Nomine: Das Testament
E Nomine: Die Prophezeiung

Das Testament is fucking awsome. How do you like it?

Unfortunatley the shitty music stores near me don't carry any good music, some places carry mostly rap. Consiquently I have to buy all my music off of amazon or metropolis.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 06-20-2003 06:17:40 PM
quote:
Grendel wrote this stupid crap:
Das Testament is fucking awsome. How do you like it?

Unfortunatley the shitty music stores near me don't carry any good music, some places carry mostly rap. Consiquently I have to buy all my music off of amazon or metropolis.

I love it. Vater Unser is probably one of my new favorite songs.

And thats the same situation I'm in. The local music stores only carry popular american stuff. Can never find Non-American stuff. Blind Guardian, Nightwish, Apocalyptica, E Nomine -- Try calling around here to find em. Nowhere within a couple hour radius carries them. And its rare to find the good american stuff (at least what there is thats good).

Any other recommendations along these lines, BTW?

[ 06-20-2003: Message edited by: Falaanla Marr ]

Innoruuk

posted 06-20-2003 07:26:23 PM
quote:
Trillee tried to impress everyone with:
I blame Innoruuk

Hey HEY... don't you dare associate me with thost record company execs!

Grendel
Pancake
posted 06-20-2003 07:39:34 PM
quote:
Falaanla Marr Model 2000 was programmed to say:
I love it. Vater Unser is probably one of my new favorite songs.

And thats the same situation I'm in. The local music stores only carry popular american stuff. Can never find Non-American stuff. Blind Guardian, Nightwish, Apocalyptica, E Nomine -- Try calling around here to find em. Nowhere within a couple hour radius carries them. And its rare to find the good american stuff (at least what there is thats good).

Any other recommendations along these lines, BTW?

Wow, I went and listened to nightwish and some blind guardian - and I can't think of much of anything that I listen to like that, excpt for some black metal. But with the black metal I listen to there is a lot of screaming, you may or may not like that.

The song "Her ghost in the Fog" by Cradle of Filth kind of reminded me of the songs "phantom of the opera" and "sleeping sun" by Nightwish. The band Opeth you might like as well - they're a pretty good black metal band.

Also the band Yeti you might like too. Yeti only has a 5 track Ep out, which is pretty hard to find. Yeti's songs all tell a story(that is if you can figure out the lyrics, since no lyrics of theirs have ever been given out by the band). The story seems to be set in the medieval period, villages are being overrun and pillaged by an army from a king, and the songs are about the villagers crying out and eventually going to try and summon the snow god. You can download some of their music here, I really like them.

E Nomine is more like what I listen to, mainly synthpop and industrial. some good synthpop and industrial bands are:

Assemblage 23
And One
Apoptygma Berzerk
Collide
Covenant
Das Ich
Funker Vogt
Icon of Coil
KMFDM
MDFMK
Mesh
Nine Inch Nails
Pig
Project Pitchfork
VNV Nation
Wolfsheim

Thats all I can think of right now, But a good place to look for bands like these is
Metropolis. You'll find quite a few good bands there.

Hope this helps

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: