EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: In the Wake of Wonders
Ezra Thalbor
Pancake
posted 03-30-2003 01:53:20 PM
ooc:
Just some quick notes before getting started...

Wake of Wonders doesn't take place in Norrath, nor anyplace else directly related to Everquest. The location is, in fact, based on nothing whatsoever. If you want to play a character from an EQ location, that's fine. Just remember that wherever you're from won't necessarily be where it would be in EQ. If you want to play someone not from an EQ location, that's also good. You've got some flexibility with character races, too, but don't go overboard. No gods, demigods, or other beings that could wipe out a city in one fell swoop.

There is no preset layout for the terrain. The first person to any new location gets the privilege of describing it to everyone else. The first person to investigate a detail gets to decide what they see. If one person walks into a room with runes all over the walls, and someone else looks at them, then either person may describe what the runes say. Try to keep your descriptions reasonable and consistent with what's already been laid out. A room with a 50 foot ceiling shouldn't have its floor 20 feet underground.

This image indicates when someone mysteriously warps from one location to another. It's the only moderation anyone should see once roleplay begins, unless the board mods get involved. If you see this, it means someone has managed to be in one place, then be in a very different place, without actually going from one to the other. Teleportation, as a valid means of transit, does not count as a mysterious warp, so long as the post indicates that that's what happens. Players can follow each other, take different paths to one place (so long as multiple paths are possible given existing descriptions), or whatever. Just don't be on the ground, then be in a tree with someone, then be in a cave, then be back in the tree, just because you want to talk with everyone. So long as everyone pays attention to where they are, things should go smoothly.

This is an open storyline. Anyone who's interested can join, though it's best to join early so you can follow what's happening. Take the plot any way you like... but no god-moding.

Okay, that's all for the OOC stuff. Enjoy

- Ford Prefect

"It was a dark and stormy night... what? Don't give me that look. I thought it was a very good play." Ezra was talking to the ground again.

The little campfire crackles, letting up a few tiny sparks. A soft orange glow bathes the nearby trees, casting shadows into the forest around this small clearing. Beside the fire, a young-looking woman sits alone on a fallen log, staring at a patch of cleared earth as if it was something more interesting. Her shoulder-length black hair flops idly down the sides of her head and over her cheeks. A sheathed scimitar hangs at her side, and her heel nudges a large, half-empty backpack as she digs her toe into the dirt. Were anyone to see her, only one thing might keep them from dismissing her as just another addlebrained wanderer; she wears armor the likes of which only a king could afford.

"I'm just not in the mood to sleep," she tells the ground. "How about you? Want to go a bit further tonight? Maybe we could get to the Shonra Plains before sunrise. That'd be nice, watching the sun come up." "What, don't you want to watch the sunrise? Don't you give me that look. If you don't want to go, then tell me you don't want to go."

[ 03-30-2003: Message edited by: Lady Ezra Thalbor ]

RP CHARACTER
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that!
Maradon!
posted 03-30-2003 03:34:34 PM
Koska crouched low in the tall grass of a clearing. He wore no armor, save for a pair of steel knee guards over his peasant trousers, and the studded leather belt that held his plainly designed bastard sword to his back.

He had been traveling along the road for many days now with no destination in particular, but when he'd spied the glint of the campfire and it's proprietor in the distance, he decided to approach with extreme caution. He'd had enough trouble from folk in grandly fashioned armor.

He was close enough to hear the woman talking to herself...or to a third party he could only imagine, and wondered whether he should approach this individual.

Nicole
The hip-hop-happiest bunny in all of marshmallow woods
posted 03-30-2003 03:53:59 PM
This was not what she was used to.

Kisiah flung another layer of clothing off - a soft brown Saeth-hair shirt meant to keep the heat in - as she regulated her descent. Colored clouds, deep blues and purples, were the harbingers of midnight and cooled her face as she descended into the temperate forest. Her arms were clutched about a large white package wrapped in cloth, the gloved hands occasionally running over it, trying to pick out contours, shapes. She knew what the damned thing was, however. It was why she was in this mad descent.

Her wings beat gravity, a strong northern blow shearing off a few feathers, but she caught it just as she caught sight of the trees. That wind was her first step. Her wings caught on to other such breezes, using them as a stairway down to the earth, and despite the maddening height at which she had begun her hurling flight to the earth, she landed smoothly in a patch of soft, thick moss, her mud-brown wings folding behind her, happy for the rest.

But to her mind, there was no such thing as rest.

She let a glance skyward, scanning the night sky, and took comfort in the sheets of cloud that hid her from the stars. Her feet moved now that her wings were too tired to, stepping as if they were uncertain of whether or not they'd land anywhere, until her caramel-colored eyes caught sight of a light in the forest. The flickering red of a campfire.

Momentarily cursing herself for letting go her cloak during the fall, Kisiah pulls a sheet of white cloth from around her bundle before depositing said bundle in her pack, and wraps the white sheet around herself. She presses her wings to her back and fastens the cloth to her neck with a bronze pin hastily ripped from her cuff, effectively hiding them unless anyone were to look. Holding her makeshift cloak close, Kisiah steps forward, wary but curious, wondering if her pursuers had found her even here.

I just spent
my last cent
purchasing this poverty.

Azrael Heavenblade
Damn Dirty Godmoder
posted 03-30-2003 04:05:50 PM
Azrael stood up and looked around, finding himself in a dark forest at night. The trees smelt of peat and mildew, normally a familiar and calming scent, but this was distinctly alien. The portal that had brought him here was totally unlike the one that had sent him to Norrath, he had fallen into a tunnel of light, and when he had opened his eyes next, he was lying on the damp ground amidst the ferns.

{Wherever here is, its certainly not anywhere I recognize...The last I knew I was asleep in my room with Lsanna next to me...but I don't see her...if she was brought along, I hope she was not sent too far away from me,} the paladin thought to himself, and grunted as he stretched to work out the bruises from his tough landing.

Off in the distance, he could see the faint amber glow of a fire. His mood lightened, as a fire indicated life if nothing else, and friend or foe, it would be a good indicator of where he was, so as quietly as he could, he made his way towards the light. Though he had gone to bed in just a tunic and light pants, he found himself fully armed and armored. Because of this, he had to try not to step on twigs or rustle the brush too much.

As he neared the fire, he saw a young woman sitting by the fire, but it was not Lsanna, this finely armored warrior was a stranger to him. She seemed to be talking to herself, an act that was uncomfortably familiar to Azrael. He listened closer, and heard her mention something about a place called the "Shonra Plains", and getting there before sunrise. That meant it was close, but the Shonra Plains? Where was he now?

"The basic tool for manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them." - Philip K. Dick
Ezra Thalbor
Pancake
posted 03-30-2003 04:29:25 PM
Ezra stands up, and tosses her pack over her shoulder, "Then it's settled." She gives herself a small nod, the antler-like crown on her head glinting in the firelight, and begins to walk away from the fire. After a few steps she pauses. "What now?" she asks, a hint of exasperation in her voice, and stares at the ground for a moment. "Did I forget something?" Another pause. "Oh, right, the fire." Returning to the fire, she kneels down, and begins scooping dirt onto it from the ground nearby.

The fire slowly dies down, spitting sparks here and there, until after a moment it finally disappears under a small mound of earth. The woman looks around, her eyes unaccustomed to the darkness. "Maybe I should've lit a torch," she comments to herself calmly. With a nervous tinge to her voice, she quickly adds, "Hello? Where'd you go?"

RP CHARACTER
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that!
Azrael Heavenblade
Damn Dirty Godmoder
posted 03-30-2003 04:38:56 PM
The woman stepped away from the fire, stopped for a few moments, then went back and extinguished the fire. Azrael watched this with a sense of uneasiness. He wasn't sure how to approach her before, but now that she was leaving, he had little choice. He heard her mention a torch and an idea came to him. He pulled an unlit brand out of his pack, and pointed a finger at it to light it. But no matter how he concentrated, not even a spark came from his finger. The Third Power was gone.

Grumbling in frustration, he found his Greater Lightstone, and to his relief, a powerful glow welcomed him. Holding it aloft, he carefully stepped out of the forest rim, trying to look as nonthreatening as possible. "Excuse me, miss, but can you tell me where I am?" he called after clearing his throat.

"The basic tool for manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them." - Philip K. Dick
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 03-30-2003 04:58:35 PM
ooc:
Oops

[ 03-30-2003: Message edited by: Ford Prefect ]

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Ezra Thalbor
Pancake
posted 03-30-2003 04:59:16 PM
Startled, Ezra stumbles back a step. "Eeh! Er, um, sorry, your surprised me." She looks around again, then breaths a sigh of relief as she stares at a nearby tree. "We're about two days' walk north of Destor's Pass. If you go east, you can reach the river in a few hours. We, er, I'm headed west though, towards the Plains. I think it's west..." Removing her bag from her shoulder, she begins to fish around inside it.
RP CHARACTER
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: