EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: How true it is.
Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 02-04-2003 08:37:10 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,77474,00.html

The up and coming generation has almost completely lost touch with thier roots. It really is sad. I am almost afraid of how it will be when I have children.

"Pacifism is a privilege of the protected"
Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 02-04-2003 08:42:01 AM
quote:
Azizza obviously shouldn't have said:

The up and coming generation has almost completely lost touch with thier roots. It really is sad. I am almost afraid of how it will be when I have children.

True, the next generation has lost track of where it all began. Still, it's not that hard for them to recapture it. A couple rounds of PacMan, 30 minutes of pinball, and a few laps of Pole Position, and they've got all the old basics covered.

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 02-04-2003 08:44:07 AM
Aw, who cares.
I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Blindy
Roll for initiative, Monkey Boy!
posted 02-04-2003 08:49:20 AM
Yeah, really. I'm sure the deer are thanking pacman.
On a plane ride, the more it shakes,
The more I have to let go.
Ruvie's Alt
Haven't you always wanted a monkey?
posted 02-04-2003 09:09:55 AM
OHNOES/ VIDOE GAEMS AER EVAL/

Nwo ill go out adn shoot a duck/

Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 02-04-2003 09:46:26 AM
Yea, it's really a shame more people aren't killing deer...or something
"Give me control of a nation's money, and I care not who makes its laws."
-Mayer Rothschild
Gydyon
Yes, I am a lawyer. No you can't sue them for that. Shut up, or I'll have your legs broken.
posted 02-04-2003 10:10:51 AM
Azizza, I work with "kids" on a regular basis, and I need to say that you have made yet another inane generalization. You want to rip on a decline of kids killing wildlife, cool by me. But don't chalk it up to an entire generation of kids "losing touch" and weep for the world your kids will live in because they don't shoot or fish.
Gydyon
Evercrest Lawyer

Thinking about your posts
(and billing you for it) since 2001

Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 02-04-2003 10:32:31 AM
Gydyon the point of the article and my point, is that Kids are indeed loosing touch. They would rather sit in front of a TV or computer all day instead of going outside and doing something.
Hunting and fishing are two aspects of this. And they are also inportant for the enviroment. Since humans have driven off many of the predatory animals, the deer population grows to fast and they starve. Many areas that don't allow Hunting have to hire people to shoot the animals. However other options include Hiking and camping, etc, etc.

Is it a generalization? Yes. It is also an acurate one though. Sure it isn't all kids but it is a vast majority of them. It is one more aspect of all the things that are going wrong now adays. There is no longer any respect for nature, other people, ANYTHING.

I know people my age who have never seen more than a couple acres of trees. Some have never seen a live deer or wolf. It is sad. It is wrong.

Suddar
posted 02-04-2003 10:37:09 AM
quote:
Azizza's account was hax0red to write:
Gydyon the point of the article and my point, is that Kids are indeed loosing touch. They would rather sit in front of a TV or computer all day instead of going outside and doing something.
Hunting and fishing are two aspects of this. And they are also inportant for the enviroment. Since humans have driven off many of the predatory animals, the deer population grows to fast and they starve. Many areas that don't allow Hunting have to hire people to shoot the animals. However other options include Hiking and camping, etc, etc.

Is it a generalization? Yes. It is also an acurate one though. Sure it isn't all kids but it is a vast majority of them. It is one more aspect of all the things that are going wrong now adays. There is no longer any respect for nature, other people, ANYTHING.

I know people my age who have never seen more than a couple acres of trees. Some have never seen a live deer or wolf. It is sad. It is wrong.

Dude, just shut the hell up.

You lost touch with your generation when you were a kid too. Remember, jerkoff, times change. We're not all going to walk to school uphill both ways like your grandfather did in the stoneage. Your generalization is about as accurate and discriminating as your dick.

Super Kagrama
ROFLELFOLOL!!!11!1 YUO CAN'T RAED MY POSTSSE!@!11
posted 02-04-2003 10:42:26 AM
quote:
From the book of Azizza, chapter 3, verse 16:

So is shooting a deer or a wolf, but you seem to be okay with that.

i shoueld joeg threw the foreast moer offeand!!11
Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 02-04-2003 10:47:05 AM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Super Kagrama was all like:
So is shooting a deer or a wolf, but you seem to be okay with that.

Now tell me how shooting a deer is wrong?
A wolf yes. It is illegel to hunt them. But deer hunting is important to control of the deer population in many area. If you get to many of them the food supply is not enough to provide for them. They start to starve and are suceptible to disease.

At one point nature had all this balanced. However humans messed this up. It is now a part of our responsibility to nature to keep the balance.

Oh and for the record: I don't hunt. I have no desire to. That doesn't mean I think it is wrong like some people.

Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 02-04-2003 10:54:23 AM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Azizza wrote:

Hunting and fishing are two aspects of this. And they are also inportant for the enviroment. Since humans have driven off many of the predatory animals, the deer population grows to fast and they starve.

So there are fewer hunters, just up the limits on what they can shoot.

Besides, I expect that things will swing the other way sooner or later. The outdoors will become fashionable again.

You also have to realize that there's a reason kids play video games instead of going outdoors. That reason is because they find the video games to be more fun, and easier to get to. Not every kid likes nature, and not every kid is near a good wilderness area.

Times change. Some of the fastest to adapt are the children. Just smile and nod, and know that they're going to be on the other side of the problem soon enough.

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Gydyon
Yes, I am a lawyer. No you can't sue them for that. Shut up, or I'll have your legs broken.
posted 02-04-2003 10:54:50 AM
quote:
Azizza had this to say about Pirotess:

I am telling you, from experience, that you are flat out wrong. I know that you can't accept that in your worldview, but there it is.

You sound like something I read:

"Our youths love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority, they show disrespect for their elders, and love to chatter in places of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their household. They no longer rise when their elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up their food, and tyrannize their teachers."

The hundreds of kids I work with on a weekly basis are too busy out in the world to ever sit down and watch TV or play a game -- I know more about TV and games than they do. They are active in their communities, and they care about what's going on around them.

I'm not denying that their is an aspect and subset of today's youth culture that is apathetic and media-driven rather than involved. But throwing blanket statements around like ytou are is pointless and misleading, and it's the same thing most generations have done to the next generation since Socrates -- "Kids these days....they just don't understand."

Yes, the quote above is from Socrates. It's been going on for millenia, and such behavior is fatalistic, stupid and beneath you.

I hope.

Gydyon
Evercrest Lawyer

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 02-04-2003 10:54:58 AM
Professor: "Karnaj, where's your database abstract?"

Karnaj: "Well, the thing about that is, I decided I'm losing touch with nature, and in order to be more appreciative nature's gifts, I went out and shot some deer this weekend. So instead of doing something that will have an objective benefit on my life (work so that I will graduate college and be more successful), I engaged in a purely subjective exercise design to 'put me back in touch' with the real world."

Professor: "I see. So you get an F for the assignment."

Karnaj: "Nono, see, I was preserving an ancient tradition between the generations by--"

Professor. "F."

Karnaj: "But I--"

Professor: "F."

Karnaj: "Bu--"

Professor: "Sit down, Davey Crockett."

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 02-04-2003 11:01:03 AM
quote:
Azizza had this to say about Duck Tales:
At one point nature had all this balanced. However humans messed this up. It is now a part of our responsibility to nature to keep the balance.

Correct me if I'm wrong but arn't most species of animals smart enough to reproduce less in areas with less food and fewer predators after a couple generations?

I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Gydyon
posted 02-04-2003 11:04:22 AM
Good point, Karnaj.

In fact, for those of you who choose to read it, the article goes on to say that there is a financial hindrance for hunters between 18 and 24 because they are in college, and that after age 25 they start to hunt more frequently.

Of course, young adults are in college more now than ever before. Financially and time-wise, this makes it more difficult to be an outdoorsman.

Also, hunters are hunters if their Mom and/or Dad hunted with them, I would suspect. At least that's the way it was with the people I knew -- those of us who had hunting dads, were hunters. The rest weren't. I'm not a hunter because my dad wasn't one, and when college rolled around I was in an urban setting. Once I got out I fairly ran to the outdoors whenever I could. I still don't hunt, but I've been a part-time wilderness camp counselor for 8 years.

Maybe if these kids' Dads weren't so busy networking or playing golf or working all weekend and being so damn materialistic, they would buy their sons a rifle and teach them some things.

Now there's a generalization to be proud of!

[ 02-04-2003: Message edited by: Judge Gydyon ]

Gydyon
Evercrest Lawyer

Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 02-04-2003 11:05:12 AM
quote:
Azizza said this about your mom:

Oh cry me a river. Just because some kids aren't doing what you see as important, does not make them wrong.

By that twisted logic I could say that anyone who doesn't wear yellow pants is losing touch with society; simply because I think yellow pants are important.

-Mayer Rothschild
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 02-04-2003 11:07:09 AM
Poor Azizza just can't catch a break, can he?
Gydyon
posted 02-04-2003 11:10:04 AM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when JooJooFlop said:
Poor Azizza just can't catch a break, can he?

Ah, Azizza just picked the wrong topic to spout on. I working towards a degree heavy in youth culture study and analysis.

Gydyon
Evercrest Lawyer

Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 02-04-2003 11:11:12 AM
quote:
Judge Gydyon thought about the meaning of life:
Good point, Karnaj.

In fact, for those of you who choose to read it, the article goes on to say that there is a financial hindrance for hunters between 18 and 24 because they are in college, and that after age 25 they start to hunt more frequently.

Of course, young adults are in college more now than ever before. Financially and time-wise, this makes it more difficult to be an outdoorsman.

Also, hunters are hunters if their Mom and/or Dad hunted with them, I would suspect. At least that's the way it was with the people I knew -- those of us who had hunting dads, were hunters. The rest weren't. I'm not a hunter because my dad wasn't one, and when college rolled around I was in an urban setting. Once I got out I fairly ran to the outdoors whenever I could. I still don't hunt, but I've been a part-time wilderness camp counselor for 8 years.

Maybe if these kids' Dads weren't so busy networking or playing golf or working all weekend and being so damn materialistic, they would buy their sons a rifle and teach them some things.

Now there's a generalization to be proud of!

But see Gydyon, you and the kids you work with make an effort. How few are those anymore? We live in a scociety where lazyness is rewarded. You can not deny that fact. I love playing videogames as much as anyone here. I have a full time job, I am planning a wedding. I take and teach marital arts. Yet with all that I still find time to get out and do something. I take hikes at least once a week. I bother to learn things. I don't get so caught up in things that I can't take a moment to relax and enjoy something simple.

Now I am not saying every kid should go out an go hiking, or hunting, but for the love of god there is more than TV, videogames, and sex. And the kids I have worked with could have cared less about anything except those three things. It was a battle just to get them away from the TV or computer screen. Much less to get them to do any actvity together.

very important poster
a sweet title
posted 02-04-2003 11:14:59 AM
A lot of people have a problem: They believe that what they think is important is the alpha and omega of importance.

Our dear Azizza here is one of those people.

hey
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 02-04-2003 11:15:01 AM
quote:
Azizza had this to say about pies:
I don't get so caught up in things that I can't take a moment to relax and enjoy something simple.

Me too. I call it sleep.

Gydyon
posted 02-04-2003 11:16:55 AM
My point has been and will continue to be that you are wrong because you generalized. I know there are young people who act the way you describe, but you are not accurately describing the whole of youth, and nevertheless resting on your assumptions as if they are gospel. As a student of culture as well as a person who believes we should back up what we say because argument in the form of soundbites is useless and damaging, I find your thesis lacking.

And yet you insist on generalizing to "prove" your point more.

Go to it. Have fun. Let me know how it works out for you.

Gydyon
Evercrest Lawyer

Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 02-04-2003 11:18:27 AM
quote:
Azizza impressed everyone with:
But see Gydyon, you and the kids you work with make an effort. How few are those anymore? We live in a scociety where lazyness is rewarded. You can not deny that fact. I love playing videogames as much as anyone here. I have a full time job, I am planning a wedding. I take and teach marital arts. Yet with all that I still find time to get out and do something. I take hikes at least once a week. I bother to learn things. I don't get so caught up in things that I can't take a moment to relax and enjoy something simple.

Now I am not saying every kid should go out an go hiking, or hunting, but for the love of god there is more than TV, videogames, and sex. And the kids I have worked with could have cared less about anything except those three things. It was a battle just to get them away from the TV or computer screen. Much less to get them to do any actvity together.

This is quickly turning into a "society has gotten worse since back in my day" thread. Every generation says it, and it's an old, tired argument.

Fact is, kids now more then ever are more motivated. One of the largest percentage of youth ever are getting an education post high school, and developing their skills with graduate degrees. Of course, I guess that doesn't matter, they should be sitting in the woods killing things right?

Sorry, I dont see how you can think that lazyness is rewarded in our society. Lazy people quickly get squished by real life.

How many truely "lazy" people do you know that bring in a 50k+ salary? Have a good family? Earn the respect of others? Probably none.

Show me a lazy person who's being rewarded and I'll show you someone still living with mommy and daddy, or off their inheretance.

-Mayer Rothschild
Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 02-04-2003 11:31:13 AM
Anyone care to explain to me why only Gydyon has bothered to adress any point except hunting. If all you have to counter is that you don't want to kill shit then you are not reading a damn word I say.

And yes Gydyon I did generalize. but once again I do that because I feel that it is many although not all people who do it. I say the Youth of today but I also pointed out that I am refering to a large part of youth not all of them. It is just the way I speak. Perhaps a bit different from you but that doesn't make my point wrong as you seemed to imply.

There is more to life than education. Oh without question, and education is VERY important. but we must also know why we are getting that education. Music, art, history, lit, these are all important as well. But they are quickly being forgoten because of the importance put on math and science. People are learning. But they don't know why they are learning.

Is this generation or my generation any worse? Who knows. Someone has already pointed out that we often fall into the trap of saying "back in my days." You all will do it as well. I hold no illusions as to how things were when I was a few years younger. They were far from perfect. However can anyone here really deny that the past 10 years or so has brough to steep decline in Morality, and society as a whole. Lawsuits, coruption, none of these things are new. But they have become socialy acceptable. Lawsuits are even encouraged in todays world. Yes I see this as a problem.

And despite what some people here seem to say, I freely admit that I can be wrong. I often am. But show me proof. Don't just say "you are wrong" and expect me to agree. I come to concusions about things because I study them. I look into the problems and make my choices. Untill you show me some proof that I made a mistake I am not going to just believe it on your word.

Zaza
I don't give a damn.
posted 02-04-2003 11:33:15 AM
Azizza, ever heard that quote about getting fit for a saddle?

Time to see a saddlemaker.

Gydyon
posted 02-04-2003 11:35:43 AM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Azizza:

Just wanted to put this right next to what you just said.

Gydyon
Evercrest Lawyer

Bummey the Fool
Prefers to play with men
posted 02-04-2003 11:37:15 AM
They're saddened because we don't like to kill animals? What the fuck is up with that shit? Really, now... Fox news is just desperate for news now. Why don't they jump on the bandwagon with all the other news stations and cover the 9/11 comedy hour, or the new shuttle that went boom.

Shrug, at least complain about something worthwhile... Kids not slaughtering animals is not worthwhile. Watching a shuttle explode sure as hell is, because it's cool.

Killing animals = boring.
Watching shit blow up and people die = Fun!

Gydyon
posted 02-04-2003 11:38:21 AM
quote:
Zaza had this to say about pies:
Azizza, ever heard that quote about getting fit for a saddle?

Time to see a saddlemaker.

I'm curious.

Gydyon
Evercrest Lawyer

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 02-04-2003 11:39:02 AM
quote:
Azizza had this to say about Knight Rider:
There is more to life than education. Oh without question, and education is VERY important. but we must also know why we are getting that education. Music, art, history, lit, these are all important as well. But they are quickly being forgoten because of the importance put on math and science. People are learning. But they don't know why they are learning.

Is this generation or my generation any worse? Who knows. Someone has already pointed out that we often fall into the trap of saying "back in my days." You all will do it as well. I hold no illusions as to how things were when I was a few years younger. They were far from perfect. However can anyone here really deny that the past 10 years or so has brough to steep decline in Morality, and society as a whole. Lawsuits, coruption, none of these things are new. But they have become socialy acceptable. Lawsuits are even encouraged in todays world. Yes I see this as a problem.

And despite what some people here seem to say, I freely admit that I can be wrong. I often am. But show me proof. Don't just say "you are wrong" and expect me to agree. I come to concusions about things because I study them. I look into the problems and make my choices. Untill you show me some proof that I made a mistake I am not going to just believe it on your word.

What does that have to do with the fact that fewer young people from this generation are hunting and fishing? Are they the ones behind all the lawsuits and corruption in our society?

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 02-04-2003 11:39:15 AM
Because kids age 17-22 are the only people to ever sue anyone. Damn immoral kids, with their rampant suing of people. And damn those kids who are padding their corporate expense accounts, committing insurance fraud, and cheating on their taxes! Goddamned little shits need to learn some respect!

Oh, wait a second...

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Gydyon
posted 02-04-2003 11:39:21 AM
quote:
Bummey the Fool had this to say about Tron:
animals = boring.
Watching shit blow up and people die = Fun!

Add a sarcasm disclaimer so I don't have to flame you into oblivion.

Quick!

Gydyon
Evercrest Lawyer

Zaza
I don't give a damn.
posted 02-04-2003 11:39:34 AM
quote:
Azizza was naked while typing this:
Anyone care to explain to me why only Gydyon has bothered to adress any point except hunting. If all you have to counter is that you don't want to kill shit then you are not reading a damn word I say.

Because it's the only substantial thing you've provided apart from clichè whines like "Youth is lazy!".

Provide proof of that all of today's youth only has sex, plays computer games and watches TV because they're lazy fucks.

And your own thick-skulled convictions don't count.

Zaza
I don't give a damn.
posted 02-04-2003 11:40:53 AM
quote:
Judge Gydyon stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
I'm curious.

"If one person says you're an ass, shrug it off. If a dozen people say you're an ass, get fit for a saddle."

Gydyon
posted 02-04-2003 11:41:13 AM
quote:
From the book of Karnaj, chapter 3, verse 16:
Because kids age 17-22 are the only people to ever sue anyone. Damn immoral kids, with their rampant suing of people. And damn those kids who are padding their corporate expense accounts, committing insurance fraud, and cheating on their taxes! Goddamned little shits need to learn some respect!

Oh, wait a second...

I had to stop suing once I turned 25. They made me turn in my license.

Since then, I've been all talk.

Gydyon
Evercrest Lawyer

Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 02-04-2003 11:41:42 AM
quote:
Azizza got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:

I disagree. I believe morality is higher, corruption is less, and society as a whole is better off.

Frankly, people have simply gotten more hyper sensitive now then they used to be.

People complain crime is so high our society is screwed, well crime is lower now then it's "ever" been.

People complain not enough kids are getting an education, more kids are educated now then they've "ever" been.

Morallity lower? Nah, I say moral standards are just higher then ever. Never before have there been such high moral standards in the work-place and in society as well. Rewind the clock 50 years, I could run down the street calling every black man I see a ni**er to his face and people would applaud me for it. Tell me that's socially acceptable now?

Corruption has always been around. Why do you just start hearing more about it now? Because the media is in everyones face.

Are frivilous lawsuits a new thing? Not at all. However now, in our media starved society you get to hear about it everytime it happens. And they are sure to make a big of deal about it as possible.

Am I blaming the media for our current state of society? Partially, but in general our expectations for 'everything' has gone up significantly. Doesn't really matter how much you compare it, society is MUCH better off now then we were 30 years ago.

-Mayer Rothschild
Gydyon
posted 02-04-2003 11:45:12 AM
quote:
Zaza was naked while typing this:
Provide proof of that all of today's youth only has sex, plays computer games and watches TV because they're lazy fucks.

Za is right. This "prove me wrong" thing goes both ways, Az. And, for the record, I did provide first-hand observation over thirteen years of working with youth. You chose to ignore it in favor of throwing blankets.

I avoid entering your threads because you tend to not substantiate anything you say. I'm not going to avoid on a topic like this, because it is important to me.

Please don't throw "prove me wrong" crap around -- especially when you've done no proving yourself. It's just silly.

Gydyon
Evercrest Lawyer

Sean
posted 02-04-2003 12:11:27 PM
quote:
Zaza wrote this stupid crap:

I only fit two out of three. I'm an embarassment to Azizza's generalization of teenagers.

A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Gydyon
posted 02-04-2003 12:14:20 PM
quote:
Check out the big brain on DƒU!
I only fit two out of three. I'm an embarassment to Azizza's generalization of teenagers.

YOU BASTARD!

Gydyon
Evercrest Lawyer

Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 02-04-2003 12:19:20 PM
quote:
This one time, at Judge Gydyon camp:

Za is right. This "prove me wrong" thing goes both ways, Az. And, for the record, I did provide first-hand observation over thirteen years of working with youth. You chose to ignore it in favor of throwing blankets.

I avoid entering your threads because you tend to not substantiate anything you say. I'm not going to avoid on a topic like this, because it is important to me.

Please don't throw "prove me wrong" crap around -- especially when you've done no proving yourself. It's just silly.

I stated my opinion on things. Last time I checked I don't need to show proof of an opinion. However if people are going ot come in calling me an ass and telling me I am wrong then they had damn well better have some proof if they expect to change my mind.

That aside I have already said that my opinion comes from the observation of people I grew up with and kids I know and have worked with.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: