EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: A day at my job (Front End Coordinator @ CompUSA)
Jaggedpine Mistwalker
Member #4!
posted 09-05-2002 07:25:05 PM
I was at work today, and I decided to just make a list of all the different things that were happening to me that were stupid. Just thought maybe you guys would be interested
http://alex.palefire.net/cusastories.doc
Redmage Darkrayver
Moron
posted 09-05-2002 07:35:28 PM
Scarcasm alert
Oh wow!

Sounds like Glorious Fun!

I'd get fired within the first month from a store like that for being a pain in the ass to customers that you seem to have "fun" with.

[ 09-05-2002: Message edited by: Red Mage ]

Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 09-05-2002 07:46:54 PM
quote:
Is this the one with the rebate?” HOW SHOULD I KNOW? Am I the magic rebate fairy? Can I somehow magically tell which item has a rebate?

This made me laugh. The "instant rebate" thingie made me laugh, too. Aren't customers fun?

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

/dev/null
Pancake
posted 09-05-2002 08:02:18 PM
And CompUSSR droids wonder why I'm shitty when I get to the counter...

I stand there looking for something that I called in for and was told was "in stock and on the shelf". While looking for said item I hear Tech-Tard01 lying his balls off to a customer because he doesn't know shit. After trying to restrain my laughter the dipshit customer asks me what I think and while I'm in process of telling him/her the reality I can see the Tech-Tard giving me go to hell looks out of the corner of my eye. I then go back to trying to find what I'm looking for. No one in sight. This is really damned annoying. When I'm in a store just browsing for shit at random, I'm beating sales droids off with a stick... when I'd actually use the "assistance" they would offer me there are none to be found. Typical.

Then I get to the register. I set my items down and the person starts ringing them up. I get asked if I want an extended warranty. "No thanks." Then the sales pitch hits. I'm sorry, what part of "No Thanks" was difficult to understand? I don't want the damned thing. If I had wanted it I would have asked for it.

And if you think CompUSSR is bad... wait till you see me inside of a Fry's store... I'm glad I'm not armed in that store....

Beep. Beep. Beep... Ohh... I think my porridge is done.
My fellow Americans, as you know, my foreign policy can be summed up in five words: "Iludium-236 Explosive Space Modulator."
When it comes down to it, searching the web without Google is like straining sewage with your teeth.
Archer-Penguin
Pancake
posted 09-05-2002 08:34:21 PM
CompUSSR? That's pretty rude. I think they're a good store.

[center]
Ta-Daa![/center]
Jaggedpine Mistwalker
Member #4!
posted 09-06-2002 01:51:39 AM
Ok, I will admit that I have never been personally offended on the boards until now. I've also never posted a FLAME until now. But since your post makes me so mad, I'm going to break it down for you step by step.

I'm not a "droid", I'm a HUMAN BEING who works at CompUSA 32 hours a week and takes 5 college classes. Keep on making sweeping generalizations about me, I find it just about as intelligent as the things I listed in my "day at work" list.

I stand there looking for something that I called in for and was told was "in stock and on the shelf". While looking for said item I hear Tech-Tard01 lying his balls off to a customer because he doesn't know shit.
I can't really answer the top part because there's a chance you talked to the corporate idiot-line which tends to misinform customers about what's in stock and what's not. As for the second part, I can understand you overhearing a conversation...

After trying to restrain my laughter the dipshit customer asks me what I think and while I'm in process of telling him/her the reality I can see the Tech-Tard giving me go to hell looks out of the corner of my eye.
But why would you give a visible reaction to what the tech was saying to the other customer? Is that any of your business? No? Ok, then keep on shopping. As for the other customer's problems, it's OUR job to care, not yours. Thanks.

I then go back to trying to find what I'm looking for. No one in sight. This is really damned annoying. When I'm in a store just browsing for shit at random, I'm beating sales droids off with a stick... when I'd actually use the "assistance" they would offer me there are none to be found. Typical.
I don't know about the store you visited, but all of our aisles have very clear and easy to read labels telling specifically what's there. Again, thanks for calling my coworkers "droids". I'm sure none of them are real people either. And you don't know how hard it is right now for me to hold back a series of personal attacks against you. Quite frankly people who consider me a DROID and my coworkers who generally do our best DROIDS make my life at work the living hell it is. How DARE you assume yourself better than us? Just because we work there we're nothing more than ants for you to stride upon? And if I were one of the salesmen I probably wouldn't go extra special out of my way to help out a customer who just laughed at our tech. Even if he's not right. There are better ways of invading into his conversation than trying to restrain laughter. How typical. I guess someone reprogrammed the fucking SALES DROID wrong again.

Then I get to the register. I set my items down and the person starts ringing them up. I get asked if I want an extended warranty. "No thanks." Then the sales pitch hits. I'm sorry, what part of "No Thanks" was difficult to understand? I don't want the damned thing. If I had wanted it I would have asked for it.
I will admit that cashiers have a tendency to over-offer our replacement plans. But remember that we do have a quota and we are doing our job. Also remember that generally it takes very little saying no to just get us to shut up. It's not worth our time to try and sell it to you if we already know there's no chance of you buying it.

In conclusion, I'm very happy that you choose to be one of the select people who ruin my day over and over, seemingly for their own amusement or to prove themselves higher and mightier than me. I guess being a "register bitch" for (however much I make) instantly makes me the fucking scum of the earth. A droid.

Fuck you.

KaLourin
Illanae's Stooge!
posted 09-06-2002 01:53:32 AM
*ducks into the bunker, away from the exploding thread*
Dont make me slap you so hard your bucket spins around, and around,and stops sideways,thus confusing you, and making you run about London wearing your bucket, a g-string, and carrying a stick,smacking the ground while yelling "MAGICALLY DELICIOUS! MAGICALLY FUCKING DELICIOUS!"- {Tal} to Mortious
Hebrew 9:3- 'And the Lord said unto me, "Dude, there isn't a K in covenant."' - Snoota

This beer drops trou and fucks your mouth with pure hoppy goodness. - Karnaj
Naota Nandaba
Don't ask me about any goddamned bannings!
posted 09-06-2002 01:53:46 AM
And thus the flames emerged and consumed the village...
Nothing amazing happens here.
Only the ordinary.
Trent
Smurfberry Moneyshot
posted 09-06-2002 02:00:23 AM
Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 09-06-2002 02:04:38 AM
I won't go so far as Jagged. But that perhaps wasn't the best way to express your view on employees of the store he works at, RPC.

The thing to remember is that they are human beings, too. And sometimes, like in my workplace, we aren't given all the information we might need. I don't think they deliberately set out ot annoy you, RPC.

I just think you might want to realize they aren't always going to be able to do exactly what you want when you want it. And maybe try to be a bit more lenient when you deal with them.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Cleopatra
Pancake
posted 09-06-2002 03:53:59 AM
I trust the flames are over and I won't have to lock this thread or break out the hippy peace beads and flowers and such, right?
Kermitov
Pancake
posted 09-06-2002 04:35:41 AM
quote:
How.... RPC.... uughhhhhh:

I stand there looking for something that I called in for and was told was "in stock and on the shelf". While looking for said item I hear Tech-Tard01 lying his balls off to a customer because he doesn't know shit. After trying to restrain my laughter the dipshit customer asks me what I think and while I'm in process of telling him/her the reality I can see the Tech-Tard giving me go to hell looks out of the corner of my eye. I then go back to trying to find what I'm looking for. No one in sight. This is really damned annoying. When I'm in a store just browsing for shit at random, I'm beating sales droids off with a stick... when I'd actually use the "assistance" they would offer me there are none to be found. Typical.

And if you think CompUSSR is bad... wait till you see me inside of a Fry's store... I'm glad I'm not armed in that store....

Yeah cuz you know, they pay us register biscuits enough to be able to take outside training

if I had a nickel for the number of times someone has expected me to "Know all about DVD players and TV's and Stuff" and yelled at me when I said I didn't know....

at any rate my strategy for frys is to already know what I'm going in for and where it is BEFORE I get there. I walk in, get what I want and walk out.

Synjari
Warrior Princess
Cookie Seraphim!
posted 09-06-2002 12:34:32 PM
Same here Kermie.. *smiles* I usually need very little assistance. The web is oh so much fun. ^_^
"Villiany wears many masks, none of which are more dangerous than virtue." - "Sleepy Hollow"
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 09-06-2002 12:58:02 PM
lets see.

No Frys in the area. no compusa in the area either.

Never been in either store, myself.

Faelynn LeAndris
Lusty busty redheaded wood elf with sharp claws
posted 09-06-2002 01:35:48 PM
quote:
Falaanla Marr had this to say about (_|_):
lets see.

No Frys in the area. no compusa in the area either.

Never been in either store, myself.

Fry's is god among big boy toy stores!!

Actually I encounter none of these bad Customer service issues. *shrugs*

But then, I've been there, and don't make it any harder on them than I have to, and I'm pretty socialable. So I'll often carry on BS conversations with Reps just for fun, and interaction.

My LAUNCHCast Station
"Respect the Forest, Fear the Ranger"
I got lost for an hour and became god.
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 09-06-2002 01:54:28 PM
quote:
People who put their products down on the counter then shove them towards me as if I didn’t see them right in front of me annoy me to no end. As well as the people who ask for a pen, not with words, but by pretending they have one in their hand and jiggling it about as if to mock-sign a receipt. All I ask is to be treated like a human being, which includes NOT USING LITTLE ANNOYING “CLUES” to let me know what they want! Apparently that’s too much to ask.

I REALLY wish people would do things like this when I'm in line behind them at a store.

Having worked as a cvashier in a grocery store, I know what it's like to be treated like trash by customers.

I always wish the person in front of me in the checkout line somewhere is rude to the cashier, so that I can bitch them out. I would SO tell people off that pulled shit like acting like they have a pen isntead of asking for one. Who the hell do they think they are?

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Caanis Lupus
Rub me?
posted 09-06-2002 02:15:00 PM

You can sub CompUSA with Best Buy, Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Frys, Microcenter, or any other large retail store. It is a shame you run the risk of running into someone that is not taking the job serious, but that is in any place nearly.

I went with a friend to Frys. He was looking for a SCSI burner and asked one of the SA/CSR/FP if they had any in the back that had not made it to the shelf... BIG empty spot in the shelf where several brands are labeled but cleaned out. I had already told him that he needed to just order one(Internet) and be done with it but he insisted on getting one retail... Anyway the SA/CSR/FP tells him that they had a run on drives and what was on the shelf is it and then tells him he needs to buy an IDE one anyway since they are better and SCSI is on the way out as support goes. I walk off the aisle so I am not "rude" and laugh there. He comes and finds me a few aisles down and hands me his hat so I can smack him with it before I told him so. He ended up settling for the one they had.

Not stating all the SA/CSR/FP are like that but I have had my share...

Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 09-07-2002 11:13:54 PM
quote:
Archer-Penguin had this to say about Punky Brewster:
I think they're a good store.

Ditto. One of the computer techs at the local CompUSA is a friend of mine. We've played together in several AD&D games, and I was in a Shadowrun game he used to run.

[ 09-07-2002: Message edited by: Palador ChibiDragon ]

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Super Kagrama
ROFLELFOLOL!!!11!1 YUO CAN'T RAED MY POSTSSE!@!11
posted 09-07-2002 11:29:41 PM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when RoboMod said:
I trust the flames are over and I won't have to lock this thread or break out the hippy peace beads and flowers and such, right?

LOEV AEND PEACE FOREVARE!!!1111yaeh rock on baeby!!!11

i shoueld joeg threw the foreast moer offeand!!11
Burger
BANNED!
posted 09-07-2002 11:42:34 PM
Hi, I am a register droid, I work at a gas station, and this is my life:

"hi how are you?"
"That'll be $XX.XX please"
"Do you have a CAA card?"
"Anything else today, we have chocolate bars on sale, or maybe a bottle of water?"
"thanks, take care"

put that on a loop, and repeat, with minor variance... Nobody cares about all that crap, but we need to say ALL of it, or corporate gets pissed off... Oh well.

Yes, i am a register biscut, and you are some idiot who i don't care about, who happened to get gas at my store, get over it, i don't care... They don't pay me enough to care about you.

Oh well, at least it's a good job, a little monotony broken by a good novel/magazine/newspaper... I get paid to sit on my ass and read...

Bite me.

No, Really. Bite me.

Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 09-07-2002 11:59:12 PM
A good friend of mine work at CompUSA, and I shop there a lot, so I feel I must defend the place. CompUSA just like any other store is a hit and miss affair. Sometimes you get very helpul people, sometimes you get idiots. Around here the People at CompUSA are overly helpful. Some know thier shit some don't. The ones that don't normally will get someone who does. And the few idiots I have seen don't last long.

However I am also the type to chime in when a person is feeding a customer a Load of bullshit. For instance the guy that was telling a customer that an iMac was more powerful than a 2GH P4. Now don't gwt me wrong you all know I love Macs. But there is no way a 600Mhz G3 imac is going to outperform a P4 anything. I gave the customer the correct info and complained to the manager Guy was let go a few weeks later for many similar incidents it seems.

you dont' lie to customers to ry to make a sale or in this guys case becuase you are a fanboi

"Pacifism is a privilege of the protected"
Beta Tested
Pancake
posted 09-08-2002 12:09:14 AM
I suppose I'm luck seeing as I have had no problems with any coustomer service rep at tech stores. I try and avoid CompUSA because well, I think they have shit for selection and are a bit understaffed.

Nothing can beat Fry's deals and customer support around here IMO. The customer service reps have been most helpful about ANYTHING I have ever needed from them. I've never had some guy try and give me a BS report when I ask about the barebones system sitting on the shelf or when I ask which is the better heatsink for my AMD 1800+.

Not to be rude to any CSR here but you should always try and get to know what you're dealing with. I'm not talking like knowing what the deal of the week is every week or what rebates are for what items, just knowing where stuff is or being able to point out someone else who would know better about it. *shrugs*

That's just my view. I'm waiting for the stupid Nexus spire to go off here.

What's this thing do?
That would be sooo cool if it wasn't going to hurt us.
Melphina's Magelo
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: