EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: I need help.
Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 08-17-2002 05:34:30 PM
I need your help for a project of mine :

#1 - Please define the word 'Satire'.

#2 - Please explain the function of a 'Roast' (The party-type, not the meat-type)

#3 - Please define the word 'Parody'.

Archon
Pancake
posted 08-17-2002 05:35:37 PM
This sounds suspiciously like homework...
King Parcelan
Chicken of the Sea
posted 08-17-2002 05:40:01 PM
1. Satire: Poking fun at human shortcomings. Bush is often the end of these things.

2. Roast: Getting someone on stage and "honoring through insults". Pretty much, you let him know he's loved by making fun of him.

3. Parody: Making fun of something popular, like eating.

Khyron
posted 08-17-2002 05:47:46 PM
quote:
Check out the big brain on King Parcelan!
1. Satire: Poking fun at human shortcomings. Bush is often the end of these things.

2. Roast: Getting someone on stage and "honoring through insults". Pretty much, you let him know he's loved by making fun of him.

3. Parody: Making fun of something popular, like eating.

And all three are intended as 'humorous' and not meant to insult any whom was the subject of them...

Correct?

King Parcelan
Chicken of the Sea
posted 08-17-2002 05:49:17 PM
They can be used as general attacks, but more often than not, they are used as poking fun while proving a point.

All save for "roast". That's just generally intended to appear mean but is good-natured on the inside.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 08-17-2002 05:50:14 PM
Satire: Exposing human folly through the use of wit, irony and derision. If you need an example, Voltaire was *excellent* at this.

Roast: Ridiculing or criticizing someone, usually meant in a teasing and familiar manner, and not intended to offend.

Parody: A particular kind of literary work that imitates a certain author or style in a comedic manner. Bored of the Rings and something like Candide are good examples here.

[ 08-17-2002: Message edited by: Lyinar Ka`Bael ]

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Khyron
posted 08-17-2002 05:51:27 PM
Archon : I'm 21 years old. I'm not in college, and I'm currently at work. It's definitely not homework.

Parce : Thanks. I'm just taking some notes for my own personal little knowledge. It seems quite often that Parodies and Satire are mistaken for 'personal attacks' around here and I wanted to make sure that I didn't have my definitions of each mixed up.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 08-17-2002 05:54:19 PM
No, satire and parody were often used in the past to harshly criticize what was going on in the world, and or insult someone without being open about it.

Satire was used in this manner greatly in the French courts of the former kings like Louis XIV and such. It was very big during the Bourbon time, and the wittiest were sometimes the cruelest.

A lot of the old nursery rhymes as well were really rather nasty political comments in disguise.

Satire can also be used to express the author's observation of the folly in the world. This is greatly in use with Terry Pratchett, a current fantasy author, Voltaire, and Ambrose Bierce, who wrote political satire during the Civil War.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 08-17-2002 05:55:53 PM
They can very often be personal attacks, Khyron, and just cleverly disguised ones.

Sentow, Maybe
Pancake
posted 08-17-2002 05:56:51 PM
A Modest Proposal.
I 'ate a behbeh once!
Once more into the breach, my friends, once more. We'll close the wall with our dead. In peace, nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.
Tier the Genius™
Dark Elf Pimp
posted 08-17-2002 05:58:25 PM
quote:
Lyinar Ka`Bael's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:
They can very often be personal attacks, Khyron, and just cleverly disguised ones.

If you take them so.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 08-17-2002 06:01:26 PM
Or when they're given as one.

I assure you the courtiers of the French court knew full well what they were saying with their contests of "wit". There are quite a few people around here I would liken to that old custom.

[ 08-17-2002: Message edited by: Lyinar Ka`Bael ]

Tier the Genius™
Dark Elf Pimp
posted 08-17-2002 06:04:33 PM
So many people "indirectly insulted" have either not seen said insult, or simply shrugged off laughing at the roast.

Except a special someone!

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 08-17-2002 06:08:23 PM
Excuse me if I don't believe as you do that people should cater to what I want, and think that I don't possibly have to watch my mouth around anyone, because they need to have "thicker skin".

Khyron
posted 08-17-2002 06:10:07 PM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Lyinar Ka`Bael said:

The problem is...

How do you determine for certain whether or not something written as one is a personal attack, and not meant to be humorous?

Sometimes someone will say something to me and I think they mean it offensively, but I'm just looking too deeply into it. I end up thinking they're insulting me and it was only in my head because they were really not.

There was a group of people at my school, for the longest time they hated me and insulted me. Then my sophmore(sp?) year they were really pretty damn cool, and because I was so used to them hating me, I thought that even though they were being nice and funny, that it was all some trick and it wasn't really face value, you know?

But they surprised me, and eventually during my senior year I stopped being so damned paranoid and realised they weren't being mean and sarcastic and stuff, and they were really just trying to be friendly. And for a while we were really friends.

Best year of my life, too, 'cuz I swear, during my senior year... Me, Mr.Geekboy himself, had half the senior class as friends

Too bad I didn't realise it sooner. I looked like a complete asshole, they were being funny and not trying to be a jerk, but I spurned 'em and was always thinking they were stupid and trying to get away with making me feel dumb. Turns out by acting like that, I was the dumb one and nobody was to blame for that but me.

Funny how life can be that way, isn't it?

Whoops, I went off on a tangent there.

Il Buono
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend.
posted 08-17-2002 06:11:42 PM
quote:
How.... Lyinar Ka`Bael.... uughhhhhh:
Excuse me if I don't believe as you do that people should cater to what I want.

That line is funny.

And this is my only contribution to this thread.

"Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."
Tier the Genius™
Dark Elf Pimp
posted 08-17-2002 06:14:11 PM
quote:
Lyinar Ka`Bael's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:
Excuse me if I don't believe as you do that people should cater to what I want

I won't even dignify that with an answer. I'll go argue with a stone wall instead, it'll stand more chance of seeing reason, with no hypocrisy added.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 08-17-2002 06:14:41 PM
But you could have fixed that by talking with them too, Khyron. You had a misunderstanding, but if you had just gone to them and said "Hey, this isn't cool, please stop" then you would have discovered they didn't mean it the way you thought.

And you can't always tell. But sometimes it's best if the person saying the comment looks at what they're saying. If it could be construed as something very nasty, then perhaps they should think first and open their mouth later.

Archon
Pancake
posted 08-17-2002 06:22:11 PM
Sorry khyron.
Burger
BANNED!
posted 08-17-2002 06:22:38 PM
khyron, are they laying on the sarcasm when they insult you, and then crack a big smile afterwards???

That means that they're joking.

Do they act like this? They're assholes.

If they do it once, and then just get on with life, they're trying to be funny, but if they're persistant, take a lesson from the link, and do as the canadian does.

Bite me.

No, Really. Bite me.

Cleopatra
Pancake
posted 08-17-2002 06:25:19 PM
I think Tier and Lyinar should stop talking to one another before they Both end up blacklisted or worse.

Drop it. I don't want Khyron to get a complex that I'm out to get him because I've locked two of his threads in two days because people can't be civil and keep things to Private Messages.

Archon
Pancake
posted 08-17-2002 06:29:26 PM
JERRY! JERRY! JERRY!
Tier the Genius™
Dark Elf Pimp
posted 08-17-2002 06:37:59 PM
Don't worry, RoboMod, I gave up for the day.
Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 08-17-2002 06:41:52 PM
I apologize, RoboMod, and Drysart if he sees this thread. I'll keep my debates more impartial and objective in the future.

Burger
BANNED!
posted 08-17-2002 06:45:24 PM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Lyinar Ka`Bael was all like:
I apologize, RoboMod, and Drysart if he sees this thread. I'll keep my debates more impartial and objective in the future.

But we have enough voices of reason, we need someone to shout their gut instinct from the rooftops. (this would be an example of a mini-roase, if you're still reading, khy...)

Bite me.

No, Really. Bite me.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 08-17-2002 06:56:35 PM

Burger
BANNED!
posted 08-17-2002 07:19:15 PM
first

then

then