EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Q&A about Dragons
Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 10-02-2001 12:15:00 PM
Hello all. In an effort to improve my ability to RP a dragon (and maybe earn the right to play something non-standard on the RP board), I will now be taking questions. Please feel free to ask any questions you have about dragons, but could never ask without getting flame-broiled or eaten.

ChibiDragon turns to the crowd.

Ok, first question? Anyone?

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Tristan
Vidi, vici, veni.
Nae's Stooge
posted 10-02-2001 12:17:00 PM
yes, I have a question.

what kind of dragon are you?

Veni, vidi, vici
MadCat
Pancake
posted 10-02-2001 12:18:00 PM
Are you a god or a demi-god? And why?

(okay so I just had to ask and be a smartass )

"Too often, we lose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, but it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and bitch-slap that motherfucker upside the head."

--
madcat@ghostfield.com

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 10-02-2001 12:22:00 PM
quote:
Densetsu had this to say about Ghostbusters:
Ray...the next time someone asks you if you are a god...you say YES!
I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piƱa coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Kanid
BANNED
posted 10-02-2001 12:24:00 PM
I wish dragon's couldn't fly...

Kanid goes to take a bath in the nearest stream.

"Unlike adults, children have little need to deceive themselves." - Goethe
Happiness is subjective, subject yourself to it whenever possible.
"A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams." - John Barrymore
Wise men still seek Him.
Cadga
Quite Insane
posted 10-02-2001 12:25:00 PM
what do hobbits taste like?

(srry i cant think of anything else hehe )

Professional Sinner/Heretic
My mindless dribble
Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 10-02-2001 12:29:00 PM
Yes, the roach in the front row.

quote:
yes, I have a question.

what kind of dragon are you?

Ah, good question. Best answer is that I'm a custom job, created instead of born.

Someone with a nack for shape-shifting tried to survive having most of their body suddenly destroyed by turning their head (which was unharmed) into the egg of a small Dragon-like creature. It ALMOST worked, but it came out more like a reincarnation instead of a continuation of life. Later, unstable genetic structure (hey, you try creating alien DNA from scratch with your last moments of life) went through some strange stuff, and finally "burned out" into a new dragon-type.

One of a kind, made by someone with no clue what they were doing.

Next question. Yes, you in the blue.

quote:
Are you a god or a demi-god? And why?

Nope, I'm not. However, I have some close ties with some of the churches.

If a dragon tells you that it is a god, odds are that it's lying to you. Of course, odds are that it can kill you if you call it a liar, so smile and bow alot.

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Tristan
Vidi, vici, veni.
Nae's Stooge
posted 10-02-2001 12:30:00 PM
I see......

ok, what kind(s) of breath weapon(s) do you have?

Veni, vidi, vici
Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 10-02-2001 12:38:00 PM
Yes, Mr. Roach again.

quote:
I see......
ok, what kind(s) of breath weapon(s) do you have?

A-heh. Well, mine isn't really much of a "weapon", it actually is a light healing effect.

However, this brings up an interesting subject. As you know, most "humanoid" races tend to use verbal or hand gestures to cast spells. Dragons have created several spells that are cast by use of the breath power, just as humans use verbal and somantic actions. These spells manifest as a breath attack, and can be used to simulate many different kinds of "breath weapons". This often comes as a nasty (and final) suprise to many would-be Dragon slayers.

For the record, I know several such spells, and make good use of them. I prefer the ones that cause no lasting harm, but I will use a forceful one if need be.

[ 10-02-2001: Message edited by: ChibiDragon ]

DarkDragoon
Pancake
posted 10-02-2001 12:46:00 PM
Okay... are you a good, neutral or evil dragon? and do you have a hoard of treasure like a normal dragon, or are you dirt poor? and oooh, one final question! what is your biggest weakness?
"What is Light without Darkness?"
"And to think I could kill every man, woman, and child here if I wanted to. The power of death is intoxicating"
Shadow Knight of Tarew Marr
Eternal Lurker of the Boards.
Tristan
Vidi, vici, veni.
Nae's Stooge
posted 10-02-2001 12:48:00 PM
quote:
ChibiDragon had this to say about Punky Brewster:

A-heh. Well, mine isn't really much of a "weapon", it actually is a light healing effect.

By "light healing effect" do you meen to say that it harms undead, and heals the liveing, or is it a universal healing effect?

also, how big are you?

Veni, vidi, vici
Kekvit Irae
Pancake
posted 10-02-2001 12:49:00 PM
*raises a hand*
How old do dragons normally live? And do they die of old age like mortals?
Kolak
Pancake
posted 10-02-2001 12:49:00 PM
are you an elemental dragon? if so, what type?
NOTE: This is an automated e-mail post, please do not reply
ph34r me
This uselss post brought to you by:
Anthrax - The other white powder

Ragabash
Pancake
posted 10-02-2001 12:59:00 PM
How do you get the girly dragons to lift their proverbial skirts? Shower them in that minty fresh healing breath?

Which form do you like to take the most.

Whats your favorite prey to snack upon

How big is your...hoard.

Scaled, feathered, or leather wings, and are they functional...for that matter, avian, ground, or aquatic.

maybe more questions later.

Feed my hungry soul.
Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 10-02-2001 01:03:00 AM
(OOC) What the hell? Suddenly, there are a bunch of posts back up in this thread that were not showing up before. Strange...

(IC)
Ok, I'll try to answer as best I can.

quote:
What do hobbits taste like?

They taste like humans, but with more of a "grain fed" flavor. At least, that's what I'm told. I try to avoid hobbits, I don't like them.

quote:
Okay... are you a good, neutral or evil dragon? and do you have a hoard of treasure like a normal dragon, or are you dirt poor? and oooh, one final question! what is your biggest weakness?

Heh, I was expecting one like this. Ok, I consider myself good, and most people agree with me. I have some treasure, but not the amount you are likely to be thinking of. I do have several items and tomes from an Elven research mage in my den, and I spend alot of time doing research based off of his notes (if I can read them). My biggest weakness? That I'm not much of a fighter. That's why I like living near a Red Dragon I'm friends with. I don't have to fight, because he wipes 'em out before they get to me. He likes it.

quote:
By "light healing effect" do you meen to say that it harms undead, and heals the liveing, or is it a universal healing effect?

also, how big are you?

It has no effect on undead, but heals the living. Nowhere near like what a powerful cleric can do, but sometimes that little bit can be enough. Not to mention that I can use it on multiple people at a time, if they bunch together.

How big am I? Think of a big draft horse. Stretch him out so that he's long and lean instead of heavy and bulky. Add slighly oversized wings and a tail nearly as long as the neck and body together, and you have a good idea. I look mostly like your typical "western" Dragon, with about 1/4 "eastern" Dragon thrown in.

Kolak
Pancake
posted 10-02-2001 01:09:00 AM
you still missed a few questions..
NOTE: This is an automated e-mail post, please do not reply
ph34r me
This uselss post brought to you by:
Anthrax - The other white powder

Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 10-02-2001 01:21:00 AM
quote:
How old do dragons normally live? And do they die of old age like mortals?

Lifespan depends on the type of Dragon, and what kind of life they live. Sooner or later, even Dragons die of old age. For all our power, we are still mortal. However, most Dragons live longer than Elves do. This annoys Elves to no end.

quote:
are you an elemental dragon? if so, what type?

I'm a non-elemental Dragon, but I come very close to what you might term a "life elemental" or "positive energy elemental" Dragon. However, I am not a true elemental Dragon, so even those energies can be used to hurt me, I just resist them very well.

quote:
How do you get the girly dragons to lift their proverbial skirts? Shower them in that minty fresh healing breath?

Depends on the Dragon. Some like treasure, some like rare magic tomes, some like villages burned as romantic lighting, some like flowers. Some you have to beat off with a uprooted tree. Remember though, I'm fairly young as Dragons go. I don't really have to worry about that yet.

quote:
Which form do you like to take the most.

Hummm. Mostly my base form, or that of a tall, thin, humanoid cat. I can't turn into a "human" form without using a spell, but the catform I can manage. That form makes reading some of the books easier, but I can't fly or use my breath.

quote:
Whats your favorite prey to snack upon?

Beef, or fish. Just no catfish, I hate those. Ick!

quote:
How big is your...hoard.

Big enough to sleep with, but not so big that it gets in my way.

quote:
Scaled, feathered, or leather wings, and are they functional...for that matter, avian, ground, or aquatic.

Once again, it depends on the Dragon. My wings and skin are actually a type of "hide", not scales. However, most large Dragons have scales. Sometimes the scales turn into feathers or a cross between the two, but they are all usually functional.

Non-feathered winged Dragons tend to be good swimmers. Feathered Dragons tend to avoid swiming, but are often the best flyers. Non-winged Dragons (mostly Earth-elemental) don't do well at swimming, but can often hold their breath and walk along the bottom for hours.

[ 10-02-2001: Message edited by: ChibiDragon ]

Fred Chook
Has a corpse rotting somewhere, even as we speak!
posted 10-02-2001 04:01:00 AM
quote:
ChibiDragon wrote, obviously thinking to hard:
I try to avoid hobbits, I don't like them.

You made the hobbits sad.

[ 10-02-2001: Message edited by: Fred Chook ]

Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 10-02-2001 10:57:00 AM
quote:
You made the hobbits sad.

I do NOT like halflings! Where I came from, a halfling clan was into piracy as the "family business". After dealing with them, I never want to see another halfling again. EVER!

Now, more Dragon questions, please.

Gydyon
Yes, I am a lawyer. No you can't sue them for that. Shut up, or I'll have your legs broken.
posted 10-02-2001 11:03:00 AM
quote:
ChibiDragon impressed everyone with:
How big is your...hoard.

Big enough to sleep with, but not so big that it gets in my way.

What a perfect way to answer the question with a double meaning.

Anyway, what do dragons do for fun?

Gydyon
Evercrest Lawyer

Thinking about your posts
(and billing you for it) since 2001

Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 10-02-2001 11:06:00 AM
Why do you stereotype all halflings as pirates?

Might I know these halflings that caused you such grief? I might be able to make a small restitution if I know them.

How often do you bathe?

Do you ever get picked on for not being a pureblood (true) dragon and being some weird after-effect?

Do you like the color purple?

Do you like my tophat?

Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 10-02-2001 11:12:00 AM
quote:
Anyway, what do dragons do for fun?

Depends on the Dragon.
Some burn towns and spread terror. Some enjoy looking at all their treasure. Some take on human form and enjoy a day or more in a town. Some join a war, in either human or Dragon form. Some meddle in politics. Some enjoy flying or swimming just for the freedom of it.

I know some Dragons that find a small village, and try to support and guide the people there so that the village grows and prospers. Of course, they tend to consider everything and everyone in the village as their own property, but that's not allways a bad thing.

I myself like to do spell research, spell practice, and spell crafting/spell art. I also have a nack as a healer, and spend time doing that for the villagers that belong to my Red Dragon friend.

Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 10-02-2001 11:22:00 AM
quote:
Why do you stereotype all halflings as pirates?

I don't mean to, but if you had ever had to deal with Errin Halflin.... Please, no more questions about him, or halflings.

quote:
How often do you bathe?

Usually, once a day. Most dragons don't bathe that often, but I like to swim.

quote:
Do you ever get picked on for not being a pureblood (true) dragon and being some weird after-effect?

Sometimes, but not often. I'm friends with a few really well known Dragons, including a really OLD and powerful one. Plus, most Dragons that take the time to think about it realize just how much they may someday need a healer that understands Dragons. After all, what are the chances of a human or elf knowing how to properly fix a Dragon's wing when it gets shredded? You don't piss off your doctor.

quote:
Do you like the color purple?

I like it, but it's not my favorite.

quote:
Do you like my tophat?

Yes. More people need to wear tophats, they're cool.

(OOC)
Headed to work now, but feel free to ask more questions, and I will answer them tonight.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 10-02-2001 11:23:00 AM
Chibi is what most scholars would refer to as a "Wrack" dragon. Wrack dragons were big in the armies of evil in some planes originally, a sort of created dragon with no ability to reproduce naturally. They were used primarily as siege engines in the war of the heavens.

Those dragons, however, were generally charged with negative energy. Fire Wracks were constructed from the essence of cinders and coals rather than the lively flames, Swamp Wracks were constructed out of decaying matter rather than vibrant plants, etc.

Chibi is the first example of a positively-charged wrack I've ever heard of, but the fact she heals everything, living and undead, suggests ties to her wrack heritage; she doesn't actually have a direct tie to the life stream from the Positive Energy Plane, she has a sort of bypassed conduit from some dead wizard's head. As such her healing breath isn't a pure energy pulse...it's good for healing the material of a creature rather than repairing the damaged life force, it seems.

*pokes at Chibi thoughtfully* I should run some tests...not often you get to see a wrack dragon as they don't generally know how to reproduce themselves.

Oh and some dragons can live to be positively ancient. The ancestor of the Ka'bael family, Kaal the Golden Wyrm, survived roughly 100 generations of offspring til I and my two siblings were born. So...figure 350 years (mid-range age for an elf) times 100 or so, and you'd have a keen idea how old a dragon can get. Truth be told, though, most of the most ancient dragons are little more than massive storehouses of magic energy (dragons suck that stuff up like we do water, in my experience). Kaal was given to decades, if not centuries of hibernation when his mind would wander. Most dragons, sadly enough, don't live out their old age. Many are killed by adventurers, some get themselves involved in situations that lead to their deaths, others voluntarily transcend and go onto their reward in the afterlife. Kaal was exceedingly rare. In his advanced years he, sadly enough, spent more time out of his body than in it. Gives new meaning to the term "letting my mind wander" and was unfortunately assassinated during that time.

*looks at Chibi again* Can I have one of your scales? I promise I won't try to duplicate you or anything. Dragon lore is something of a hobby given my condition.

[ 10-02-2001: Message edited by: Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael ]

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 10-03-2001 12:29:00 PM
*looks over at Ja'Deth*

Well, you almost have it right. You missed a few points though.

First of all, it wasn't really a mage that made me. It was a psionic, that figured out how to use ESP to detect mana, and controled it much like an telekenetic can move and control water. This allowed him to pull off some incredable tricks, as well as landing him in the healer's care when one of his stunts would blow up (literally) in his face. Manakenesis is risky as all get out.

Second, I started off with alot of Psy energy, like my creator, PLUS mage abilites. I got VERY powerful, VERY quickly. Ever hear that power corrupts? Well, it's true. A crisis of conscience caused by this made my Psy abilities "ground out" into me, and turned me into what I am now. The reason I'm a "Life Wrack" dragon is because of the rejection of my more violent leanings at the time, and how the Psy energies responded to that.

Let's see.... ah yes. You refered to me as female. Well, you're mostly wrong. By physical structure, I'm male. You are correct that something like me can not reproduce normally, I can't. However, during the "burnout" transformation and growth spurt, my tounge fell out. Within five minutes, the excess life force had turned it into a hatchling version of myself. So, even though I'm too young in Dragon terms, and male, I'm allready a mommy.

*Chibi waves a claw, and several pictures of his "daughter" appear.*

Her name's Athena, because she was born from my head. I guess it's a family tradition. Heh. Isn't she just so CUTE?!?

A-hem. Scales are a no-go, I have hide. However, you can get a blood and tissue sample as long as you uphold your promise to not use them in a bad way. I think your last creation of utter evil is enough for one lifetime. Hell, she's enough for a dozen lifetimes, at least.

As for my breath "weapon"? It doesn't heal undead, just the living. Think of it like this: I have a extra strong link to positive energy. This creates an extra strong life force within me. My breath weapon comes from that, much like a Fire Dragon's breath comes from its elemental energies. Also, I appear to "shine" to any life sensing undead. That's not really a good thing.

Anyway, this is not just a question and answer session about me. It's about Dragons in general. I'll still answer questions about myself, but don't be afraid to ask about other Dragons as well.

(OOC)This is fun, heh. Thanks for the questions everyone.

[ 10-03-2001: Message edited by: ChibiDragon ]

Fred Chook
posted 10-03-2001 12:37:00 PM

But we hobbits are nice, really!

Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 10-03-2001 12:44:00 PM
quote:
But we hobbits are nice, really!

He's been around for over 400 years! He drank a potion of eternal youth, and has been pirating the seas for over 400 years! He has illegitimate offspring in every port town in the world. His crew is made up of his decendants, several generations down the line. He thought I was female, and tried to feel me up! I'm a DRAGON. A halfling should NOT try to feel up a DRAGON!

Ok, there. I've said it. You happy?

Fred Chook
posted 10-03-2001 12:48:00 PM
O-kay... immortal armies of inbred feeler hobbits AREN'T nice. But simple folk who eat bread and die around age 112 and have a vegetable garden ARE nice!
Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 10-03-2001 12:54:00 PM
Oh, they're not inbred. Every time he stops in a port town, one or two of the older members of the crew retire to shorelife. They get replaced by some of the kids he sired the last time he was in that town.
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 10-03-2001 12:55:00 PM
Ahem, Mr Dragon...

I consider myself to be an ally of the dragons...do you know if they feel the same about me?

And if so, would they possibly be willing to teach me any magical spells, or possibly teach me how to turn myself into a dragon for a short period of time? I have always wanted to fly as a dragon...They are so majestic...

Fred Chook
posted 10-03-2001 12:59:00 PM
I've only ever seen two dragons... one wanted to kill me but didn't, the other didn't want to kill me but nearly did.
Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 10-03-2001 01:13:00 AM
quote:
Ahem, Mr Dragon...

Yes?

quote:
I consider myself to be an ally of the dragons...do you know if they feel the same about me?

Well, that depends on the Dragon. Not all Dragons get along with each other. Sometimes being the friend of one makes you the enemy of another.

There's something else to conisder as well. Dragons' minds are different than humans and elves and other such races. If a Dragon thinks of you as "My ally", the key word isn't "ally", it's "my". Dragons tend to think of things in terms of ownership. "MY friend", "MY ally", "MY summoner", "MY treasure", and so on. If you're not willing to have someone that much bigger and stronger than you acting posessive of you, then stay away. If they DO start to act posessive of you, then you now "belong" to them, much like their treasure hoard does.

quote:
If so, would they possibly be willing to teach me any magical spells, or possibly teach me how to turn myself into a dragon for a short period of time? I have always wanted to fly as a dragon...They are so majestic...

Heh, thank you for that complement.

A spell to turn you into a Dragon would be fairly superficial, just as a spell to turn you into an elf would be. Yes, there are spells that can do that. Yes, some Dragons would be willing to teach you such a spell, and help you learn to fly, if you are "their" friend.

I would only suggest using such a spell while with a friendly Dragon. Otherwise, you might run into someone hunting for Dragons, either some Dragon-slayers, or even another Dragon.

As for other kinds of spells, some Dragons might be willing to teach you some. However, some Dragon spells won't work for non-Dragons. Most of the breath based spells, for example.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 10-03-2001 01:17:00 AM
I thank you for your advice, kind one.

If you know of any dragons that can assist me in my endeavors, please do let me know.

Fal

Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 10-03-2001 09:01:00 AM
If I hear of a Dragon willing to play teacher, I'll let you know.

I would offer to help, but the volumes and volumes of spell books and notes I'm sorting through are too much of a mess to be of any real use for teaching right now. Besides, my Red Dragon friend Cinder has just gotten the hang of turning into a human form, and is at that stage of life where all he wants to think about is females. You wouldn't be able to concentrate with him bugging you all the time.

Still, if I hear of one, I'll let you know. *smile*

Evercrest News Network
This.... is ENN
posted 10-03-2001 09:06:00 AM
I've been working on a few new illusions, Falaanla.

In the works right now are Illusion: Dragon and Illusion: Frost Giant.

Would you like to be a tester?

NO ONE BREAKS NEWS LIKE WE DO!
Il Buono
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend.
posted 10-03-2001 09:20:00 AM
quote:
Fixer had this to say about Pirotess:
I've been working on a few new illusions, Falaanla.

In the works right now are Illusion: Dragon and Illusion: Frost Giant.

Would you like to be a tester?

Completely off-topic..

I've seen you before!

"Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."
Evercrest News Network
This.... is ENN
posted 10-03-2001 09:30:00 AM
quote:
Demitri had this to say about Cuba:
Completely off-topic..

I've seen you before!

waves his hand slowly

You only think you saw me. It was a figment of your imagination.

NO ONE BREAKS NEWS LIKE WE DO!
Il Buono
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend.
posted 10-03-2001 09:36:00 AM
quote:
Fixer had this to say about Punky Brewster:
waves his hand slowly

You only think you saw me. It was a figment of your imagination.

Your Enchanter mind tricks don't work on me!
Try em on Mort.

"Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."
Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 10-03-2001 09:40:00 AM
It is a this point that I feel the need to remind everyone that security is being provided by the fine ladies from Ollgul's Bed Breakfast and Bondage, in lovely Oggok. Those of you that derail this question and answer session will be treated to a free ten night stay there, like it or not. And trust me, you won't like it.
Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 10-04-2001 02:23:00 AM
Any more questions? Anyone?
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: