EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: D&D item question
Tier
posted 01-31-2005 11:55:04 AM
Okay, a little introduction first. In our last game I was given a boon and made into a half-dragon. Whilst any munchkin would giggle in glee, I happen to play an very image-conscious (read: foppish) elf, so the scales and other dragonly features are cramping my style.

So having the Create Wondrous Item feat, I decided to remedy this by creating an amulet for myself that would revert me to my old form (as per an Alter Self spell) so long as I wore it. Now I've broweded throughout the DM guide for an item that would have a similar effect to base myself on for cost creation and so on. So I checked the general item creation rules, owever, I don't understand what the DM guide says.

So the rule, for a use-activated or continous spell says base cost is Spell Level x chosen Caster Level x 2000gp... In my case that would be 2*3*2000, and since it's 10min/level, the rules says it's 1.5 times more expensive. And for creating items, it's half the base price?

So, unless I'm mistaken, this amulet of mine would cost 9000gp? Or is there already a Polymorph or Alter self item out there that I missed?

Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 01-31-2005 12:06:10 PM
quote:
Asha'man's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:
Stuff

Hat of Disguise does the same thing. You wear it and it changes your appearance. The hat blends in with your chosen appearance.

Info:
Hat of Disguise
This apparently normal hat allows its wearer to alter her appearance as with a change self spell. As part of the disguise, the hat can be changed to appear as an alternate type of headgear..
Caster Level: 2nd; Prerequisites: Craft Won¬drous Item, change self; Market Price: 2,000 gp; Weight: -.

Katrinity fucked around with this message on 01-31-2005 at 12:09 PM.

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 01-31-2005 12:10:07 PM
quote:
Katrinity Model 2000 was programmed to say:
Hat of Disguise does the same thing. You wear it and it changes your appearance. The hat blends in with your chosen appearance.

Info:
Hat of Disguise
This apparently normal hat allows its wearer to alter her appearance as with a change self spell. As part of the disguise, the hat can be changed to appear as an alternate type of headgear..
Caster Level: 2nd; Prerequisites: Craft Won¬drous Item, change self; Market Price: 2,000 gp; Weight: -.

Headgear = Various hats, helms, combs, bows, ribbons, tiaras, crowns, torques, etc.

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 01-31-2005 03:48:35 PM
quote:
When they turned on the Infinite Improbability Drive, Katrinity stammered,

Info:
Hat of Disguise

If he has a tail, that won't be sufficient, because change/disguise self won't add or remove limbs. Plus you're looking at 3.0 while he's looking at 3.5. The 2nd level spell Alter Self provides what he's after, while the 1st level spell only furnishes a visual illusion.

As for the custom item, (2nd spell level) x (3rd caster level) x (2000 continuous) x (1.5 ten-minute spell) = 18k base cost. Creation cost is 1/2 base cost in GP plus 1/25 base cost in XP. This means it'll cost 9000GP + 720XP to create an item with the Alter Self continuous effect. That's using v3.5 rules. Using 3.0 rules, eliminate the 1.5 multiplier for the duration.

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 01-31-2005 09:20:30 PM
So he wears the hat and some robes. Or a cloak. yeesh.
Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 01-31-2005 09:25:03 PM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Asha'man said this:

Whilst any munchkin would giggle in glee, I happen to play an very image-conscious (read: foppish) elf, so the scales and other dragonly features are cramping my style.

Playing a half-dragon doesn't make you a munchkin

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 01-31-2005 09:27:20 PM
quote:
Lyinar Ka`Bael had this to say about Tron:

Thats what a munchkin would say.

(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 01-31-2005 09:28:31 PM
quote:
Verily, Elvish Crack Piper doth proclaim:
Thats what a munchkin would say.

Someone wants a boot to the head

Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 01-31-2005 09:29:43 PM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Lyinar Ka`Bael wrote:
Someone wants a boot to the head

I've had worse

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 01-31-2005 09:31:35 PM
quote:
Elvish Crack Piper stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
I've had worse

Yeah you're on fire.

"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty

Elvish Crack Piper
posted 01-31-2005 09:33:10 PM
quote:
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael painfully thought these words up:
Yeah you're on fire.

Like a Fox

Alaan
posted 01-31-2005 10:58:55 PM
My question is what else happened to the party? Since you basically just leveled 3 times for no good reason. DM shouldn't have a huge level gap so they probably got some weird boost as well.
Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 01-31-2005 11:32:19 PM
quote:
So quoth Alaan:
My question is what else happened to the party? Since you basically just leveled 3 times for no good reason. DM shouldn't have a huge level gap so they probably got some weird boost as well.

Or he might have an EXP debt that will keep him from leveling until the others catch up to him.

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 02-01-2005 01:21:11 AM
If he got a +3 level adjustment, then it raises his ECL (Effective Character Level) which means that for him to gain another level of a player class, he'll need as much XP as a character 3 levels higher.

For instance, as a level 2 Half-Dragon...let's say Fighter..., that's an ECL of 5. So he'll require a total of 20k XP to gain level 3 in Fighter, or pick up level 1 of a different class.

Meanwhile, while he may be a bit overpowered, he's earning XP as a 5th level character, and this earning a lower percentage of the XP than the lower level characters are. They'll eventually catch up. Theoretically.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Elvish Crack Piper
posted 02-01-2005 01:26:09 AM
Technically, they wont ever catch up, but will get very very close.
Tier
posted 02-01-2005 01:26:30 AM
Alright, I guess I wasn't off for the item calculations. Kind of problematic though, my old character had all the money (like 40,000gp) but died, so this elf's too poor for the item creation... I can't show my face in public!! =(

quote:
Lyinar Ka`Bael spewed forth this undeniable truth:

I guess it depends on whether you go for it for the powers only, or for the actual roleplay... My character was offered a gift from the venerable dragon gods, I couldn't just refuse, especially considering I could gain more knowledge of the world thanks to it! ;p

quote:
Alaan had this to say about the Spice Girls:

My character's brother got the same half-dragon boon, the two paladins were made into half-celestials, and the druid can shapeshift to one badass Treant. So yeah, the gods like us or something =p

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 02-01-2005 08:23:30 AM
"Hey guys, look! FORM OF...A TREE!"

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 02-01-2005 10:10:41 AM
quote:
Elvish Crack Piper really knows where their towel is...
Technically, they wont ever catch up, but will get very very close.
That's how 2nd edition worked. In 3rd edition, gaining higher ECL mid-game doesn't necessarily come with any exp increase. So an ECL5 L2 character need to earn just as much experience to reach ECL6 L3 as his ECL2 L2 comrades need to reach L6. And since he's already ECL5, he earns less exp from encounters (at least according to the rules, it's all at the GM's discretion anyway), so any unboosted party members would actually surpass the ECL-boosted ones over time.

Not that this matters, because (as posted above) everybody in the party got boosted.

`Doc fucked around with this message on 02-01-2005 at 10:13 AM.

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 02-01-2005 10:20:25 AM
quote:
Asha'man had this to say about pies:
I guess it depends on whether you go for it for the powers only, or for the actual roleplay... My character was offered a gift from the venerable dragon gods, I couldn't just refuse, especially considering I could gain more knowledge of the world thanks to it! ;p

Oh I wasn't saying anything against it. I had a half-dragon monk, which is why I said it's not just munchkins. Wasn't my idea, either. Adam pitched it to me for his second High Seas campaign and as I'd been a fingerwaggler up to that point, the opportunity to branch out was nice.

All it meant was she was a little elf girl who was REALLY strong, basically. He used GM fiat that since her father was a water dragon, all she got was green hair and eyes from him, no scaly stuff. Which worked with the story, because her being the daughter of the sea dragon god wasn't public knowledge. Or the fact there even still *was* a sea dragon god, for that matter.

I had a half-celestial, too, again for story reasons. I didn't start her that way, though. At least I didn't make her that way. She started as a fire genasi. But we found out she was half-celestial in the story. I didn't control her sheet for that game, so it was easy for Adam to keep things a surprise.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 02-01-2005 11:40:30 AM
With HS, one of the characters was going to end up half-celestial. And I didn't know until about halfway through the campaign who it was going to be. All of the HS1 group were exceptional in some way.

Keep in mind that HS was run under the auspices of 2e rules, however, so back then there weren't rules for alternate CL's and so forth. At most they had an alternate XP advancement. So it wasn't that far a stretch to move Riandar from Genasi to Half-Celestial.

Even by HS2, which was run under the auspices of 3.0, half-celestial Riandar wasn't as jacked up as all that. She was largely an NPC by that point, and her half-celestial heritage meant primarily that she had an assload of responsibilities, and as part of that she could use celestial gear and spells. IE, it was mostly story elements.

Lia, the half-dragon monk, was a special situation. She was in the party with a half-fiend, a werefox, and a few other unusual notables. In the process of the campaign, one of the party's druids got infected with Lycanthropy, etc. So her half-dragon heritage wasn't THAT unusual.

Likewise, this was before Savage Species, but Lia didn't get the full barrage of half-dragon abilities. No wings/ability to fly, for instance. She had an EXTREMELY limited breath weapon, which she never actually decided to use except on one extreme occasion. Primarily, Lia's "Thing" was that she could survive at extreme depths unaided, and had a phenomenal amount of strength and ability to move weight (Lia could actually haul weight as if she was Large, rather than Medium in height). Her father was one of three great demigod dragons in the campaign setting, which meant she was the bee's knees underwater.

But in game terms, she was "just" a really strong undersea elf.

I deliberately added oddities to all the unusual breeds, which I think is the difference between just being given a template (a la half-elemental or half-dragon via a prestige class), and having something special about you. Great power and great responsibility. That sort of thing.

That having been said, as a GM I will tell you...Templated characters are a LOT of work. UGH. After my next campaign (HS3) I'm not going for any unusual races for a good long time.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: