EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: DnD rules question (or two)
Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 01-16-2005 01:50:25 AM
Where can I find the rules for playing as an Awakened (as per the Awaken spell) animals? I have a game that will be starting soon, and I want to play something odd. A spellcasting squrrel that starts off each morning with a big bowl of sugar lumps and coffie beans would be just the thing.

If there are no set rules for that, then are there any rules that you would suggest that I look at before making such a character? Other than the ones about converting non-PC races into PCs, that is.

Also, are there any rules for Awakened swarms? If so, where?

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 01-16-2005 01:54:08 AM
Savage Species for particulars.

Awakened would just make it into a PC race, make em roll stats and add modifers as per makes sense.

Its really easy, you basically do it yourself if it isnt in SS.

(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
Vinven D`Slyfox
posted 01-16-2005 01:54:26 AM
Wouldnt be able to cast spells that require specific hand motions unless you had specific hand-giving magic gear. Which would be too big for a squirrel. Savage Species book covers it well, I have a copy in acrobat format I beleive.
Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 01-16-2005 01:58:43 AM
Per standard rules, you can take a feat to get around that and make your spells 1 level higher. Still spell I believe.

If it IS a squirrel, they do have paws that can be traced.

Also, if the squirrel researched and created the spell itself(or got the spell from another wizasquirrel), the somatic component would be doable without needing a feat, or a hand item.

Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 01-16-2005 02:00:52 AM
Actually, there's a feat that allows the use of non-standards somantic components for spells, allowing an animal-bodied caster to cast spells.

Feat: Surrogate Spellcasting. Page 39-40 of Savage Species.

I have Savage Species, but I was thinking I had seen something more directly covering the use of Awakened animals as PCs. Thanks.

Palador ChibiDragon fucked around with this message on 01-16-2005 at 02:03 AM.

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Elvish Crack Piper
posted 01-16-2005 02:02:24 AM
Thats... really lame.

How is a squirrel going to mimic the movements of a regular wizards :-/

Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 01-16-2005 02:11:58 AM
quote:
Elvish Crack Piper wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
Thats... really lame.

How is a squirrel going to mimic the movements of a regular wizards :-/

It's not. It's basically knowing how to translate the spell's movements into something that a non-standard body can do. Think of it as being similar to translating spell words from Draconian to Elven. Draconian might be a bit hard to use, but Elven works just as well if you can translate it. Same idea, but with the movements instead of the words.

Elvish Crack Piper
posted 01-16-2005 02:21:19 AM
Its a matter of timing.

A squirrel body cant translate the intrictite somatic components of a humanoid designed spell into a few flips and jumps. Not with a simple feat at least.

It should require more training.

Though, I do find myself somewhat aghast at argueing the case of spellcasting squirrels.

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 01-16-2005 02:23:29 AM
quote:
Elvish Crack Piper got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
Thats... really lame.

You're one to talk.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Elvish Crack Piper
posted 01-16-2005 02:25:35 AM
Whats that supposed to mean?
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 01-16-2005 02:28:48 AM
quote:
Elvish Crack Piper had this to say about dark elf butts:
Whats that supposed to mean?

Mr. "I'm a powergaming wizard who just does anything he can against the members in his party with reckless abandon, and then comes to ask EC how I can get out of the consequences that I brought upon myself."

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Elvish Crack Piper
posted 01-16-2005 02:32:47 AM
Hehe.

It wasnt against my own party that I had any problems with, it was with the aristocrat NPC that I didnt remember to send her letters that I had the problem with.

I was the bitch of a lich for most of my wrongdoings. In game I'm actually rather pious, now. Found me a former priestess, turned wizard, to serve as apprentice and atone for my wrongdoings.

I came to EC because it was girl trouble, and I dont have any expierience in that department.

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 01-16-2005 02:37:55 AM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Elvish Crack Piper:
Hehe.

It wasnt against my own party that I had any problems with, it was with the aristocrat NPC that I didnt remember to send her letters that I had the problem with.

I was the bitch of a lich for most of my wrongdoings. In game I'm actually rather pious, now. Found me a former priestess, turned wizard, to serve as apprentice and atone for my wrongdoings.

I came to EC because it was girl trouble, and I dont have any expierience in that department.

You've said that you've repeatedly backstabbed (figuratively) your party. The point is, you have no right to tell Palador that him wanting to be an awakened character, and trying to work a spellcaster into the mix, is lame.
Elvish Crack Piper
posted 01-16-2005 02:43:16 AM
I didnt say that.

I said a feat that allowed you to replace all the somatic components of a spell with others was lame. The idea of a sentient squirrel that casts spells is nifty, the idea of a feat that makes it pathetically easy isnt.

To amend, I had no problems making an informed decicion with whatever backstabings(actually blunt force trauma to the neck) or whatnot. I played the villian in the group for awhile, I was often estranged from everyone except my lackies in the group (yes, ECP had lackeys, very stupid lackeys who nearly got me killed, which then prompted me to sell one into slavery(the talking cat), which angered the other two(when they found out a couple ours later), who ended up dead)

I was the minion of an evil overlord whose only goal was increased personal power. :-p

Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 01-16-2005 02:49:12 AM
quote:
Densetsu said this about your mom:
You've said that you've repeatedly backstabbed (figuratively) your party. The point is, you have no right to tell Palador that him wanting to be an awakened character, and trying to work a spellcaster into the mix, is lame.

Not to mention, it's the best way to go with a small creature. I don't think anyone would say there's no problem with a squirrel monk, and we don't need a squirrel rogue backstabing for an extra 1d6 damage from a 1 pt bite. With a spell caster, I can at least have it be effective without having it do the physically impossible.

I just want to play a cute, hyper rodent that bounces off the walls, screams at everything, fires off some spell of (pathetic) destruction, the falls asleep because the sugar rush wore off. All within the first three rounds of combat.

Elvish Crack Piper
posted 01-16-2005 02:50:41 AM
Heh. What would a squirrel monks damage table even be? 1d8 at level 20?
Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 01-16-2005 03:12:57 AM
quote:
Elvish Crack Piper attempted to be funny by writing:
Heh. What would a squirrel monks damage table even be? 1d8 at level 20?

Yah, that's what it looks like.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 01-16-2005 03:33:44 AM
You would have a bagillion AC though...
Elvish Crack Piper
posted 01-16-2005 03:40:38 AM
22 with perfect stats, not including if squirrels get an additional bonus to dex or wis, or the monk class bonus if we are talking 20.

Tiny only has a +4, miniscule and co are the beefy bonuses, the +8 or 16.

KaLourin
Illanae's Stooge!
posted 01-16-2005 04:15:21 AM
Natural Spell feat from Masters of the Wild. Done deal.

Allows casting of spells in animal forms, substituting the sounds and movements of the animal. Covers verbal and somatic componant use, providing the creature can hold the item ie: Squirrel holding a few berries in its paws to cast Goodberry, or an eagles screeching to sub for verbal componants.

Dont make me slap you so hard your bucket spins around, and around,and stops sideways,thus confusing you, and making you run about London wearing your bucket, a g-string, and carrying a stick,smacking the ground while yelling "MAGICALLY DELICIOUS! MAGICALLY FUCKING DELICIOUS!"- {Tal} to Mortious
Hebrew 9:3- 'And the Lord said unto me, "Dude, there isn't a K in covenant."' - Snoota

This beer drops trou and fucks your mouth with pure hoppy goodness. - Karnaj
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 01-16-2005 01:04:29 PM
quote:
Ninety-nine bottles of KaLourin on the wall, ninety-nine bottles of KaLourin...
Natural Spell feat from Masters of the Wild. Done deal.

Allows casting of spells in animal forms, substituting the sounds and movements of the animal. Covers verbal and somatic componant use, providing the creature can hold the item ie: Squirrel holding a few berries in its paws to cast Goodberry, or an eagles screeching to sub for verbal componants.

Combine that with Eschew Materials (Tome & Blood 3.0 or PHB 3.5) for an effective spellcaster. The second feat lets you cast without spell components or foci, so long as those components do not carry a significant monetary value.
quote:
Vinven D`Slyfox needs to hitch a ride with a Vogon constructor fleet.
Wouldnt be able to cast spells that require specific hand motions unless you had specific hand-giving magic gear. Which would be too big for a squirrel. Savage Species book covers it well, I have a copy in acrobat format I beleive.
Make sure the acrobat file isn't just the six-page teaser (~150kb). I have the hard copy, but I'd like to have a computerized version, and it'd save a lot of scanning time if someone else already had one.
Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 01-16-2005 02:20:06 PM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Elvish Crack Piper said:
make your spells 1 level higher.

It bears saying that you're wrong. It uses a spell slot one level higher (IE if you cast a still spell magic missile, it uses a second tier slot instead of a first tier slot). Almost all metamagic feats require the use of a higher-tier slot to function.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 01-16-2005 02:25:23 PM
Also: Keep in mind that being a tiny creature (which you would be), you're all the more likely to get outright consumed by critters. You may be the kickingest wizard in sugarplum forest, but something as small as a wolf can in theory eat you whole, much less the regular bevvy of monsters found in adventures. Granted, you're harder to hit, but due to your reduced hit points, you're all the more vulnerable.

I would have kept quiet on my personal opinions on things, but you went to "Awakened Swarm". That's just messed up. It would be like giving a player control of a Cranium Rat horde. It gets out of control very fast and makes the GM have to work ten times harder to accomodate Mr Bizarro.

I've got a player playing a cat in HS4, but it's with the understanding that the cat is getting some serious penalties, and is going to be re-humaned. Likewise, it's a campaign where the GM (me) is planning on dealing with a bunch of bizarrely-cursed PC's.

Don't just spring something like an Awakened animal (or ESPECIALLY an Awakened Swarm) on your GM. There's gimmick characters who warp things, and then there's moving rule vortexes that give everyone a headache.

"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty

Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 01-16-2005 03:16:55 PM
quote:
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael's account was hax0red to write:
I would have kept quiet on my personal opinions on things, but you went to "Awakened Swarm". That's just messed up. It would be like giving a player control of a Cranium Rat horde. It gets out of control very fast and makes the GM have to work ten times harder to accomodate Mr Bizarro.

There is no way I would ever ask to play an awakened swarm. Even good GMs would have a hard time dealing with the problems that would make. That question was more of a unrelated side question.

Although, I did once play a trio of mind-linked rats in an odd little con game a friend ran. They were all one character, just in three bodies at once. It was a game where everyone was playing familiars of research students in a mage school, so there were a few odd ones to choose from. (Nobody wanted to play the undead rat familiar, which suprised me.)

As for the bigger creatures being able to eat a squirrel mage, I know. That's just part of the problem with being such a small creature. It's going to make getting a familiar interesting, though.

Ruvyen
Cartoon Broccoli Boy
posted 01-16-2005 08:52:31 PM
May as well post this here, instead of making my own thread:

For a while, I was kind of debating which weapon style would be better for a combat-oriented character: Dual-weild, two-handed, or one-handed/shield. Each, naturally, have their advantages and drawbacks.

But when I read Sword and Fist 3.0, I got an idea.

Two weapon Fighting + Shield Expert + 2 spiked shields = The AC of two shields, plus two light 1d6-damage piercing weapons.

Would this at all work? Can you not use two shields with either Shield Expert or Two-Weapon Fighting? Will you only get the AC of the more protective shield?

Thief: "I have come to a realisation. Dragons are not real in a general sense, but they may exist in certain specific cases."
Fighter: "Like how quantum mechanics describes how subatomic particles can spontaneously pop into existence at random!"
Thief: "No, that's stupid and stop making up words."
--8-Bit Theater
Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 01-16-2005 10:36:29 PM
quote:
A sleep deprived Ruvyen stammered:
Would this at all work? Can you not use two shields with either Shield Expert or Two-Weapon Fighting? Will you only get the AC of the more protective shield?

I do believe that will work, but that's an awful lot of effort for some crappy damage. Also, I believe some weapons can bypass shield AC.

If you want to play a serious tank, I would suggest getting a spiked tower shield, and a good 1hand weapon. (Zaile says: "And some spiked armor. And check out Races of Stone for some Dwarf stuff along these lines.")

Alaan
posted 01-16-2005 10:38:21 PM
quote:
Palador ChibiDragon had this to say about (_|_):
I do believe that will work, but that's an awful lot of effort for some crappy damage. Also, I believe some weapons can bypass shield AC.

If you want to play a serious tank, I would suggest getting a spiked tower shield, and a good 1hand weapon. (Zaile says: "And some spiked armor. And check out Races of Stone for some Dwarf stuff along these lines.")

Ditch the spiked tower shield. You can't shield bash with them due to their ungodly large weight/size.

Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 01-16-2005 10:40:30 PM
quote:
Alaan's fortune cookie read:
Ditch the spiked tower shield. You can't shield bash with them due to their ungodly large weight/size.

Oh yah, forgot about that.

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 01-17-2005 08:41:03 AM
Ruvyen: The problem with spiked shields is that you lose the AC bonus (on a round-by-round basis) when using them as weapons. The damage is about the same as a short sword, so if you actually use all your attacks in a round, there's no defensive advantage.
Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 01-17-2005 08:44:23 AM
quote:
Ninety-nine bottles of Palador ChibiDragon on the wall, ninety-nine bottles of Palador ChibiDragon...
As for the bigger creatures being able to eat a squirrel mage, I know. That's just part of the problem with being such a small creature. It's going to make getting a familiar interesting, though.
Get an eagle familiar.

Maradon!
posted 01-17-2005 10:34:55 AM
Eschew Materials is a freebie in any game I run. D&D spell components are hella lame.

Most people opt for the "Implied Spell Pouch" house rule anyway.

Ruvyen
Cartoon Broccoli Boy
posted 01-17-2005 11:08:04 AM
quote:
`Doc wrote this then went back to looking for porn:
Ruvyen: The problem with spiked shields is that you lose the AC bonus (on a round-by-round basis) when using them as weapons. The damage is about the same as a short sword, so if you actually use all your attacks in a round, there's no defensive advantage.

Shield Expert prevents that. If you attack with a shield, you retain its AC bonus. Also, I could increase my tankliness by going DEX-build and Finessing in Shield Spike, because despite the weight of large shields, the spikes are light weapons. I might not deal loads of damage per hit, but I'd be getting loads of AC, maximum attack bonus, and tons of HP, which is the entire point of the build in the first place. Plus, if we're talking 3.5e D&D, I can get three attacks with my off-hand, as I'll certainly manage to snag enough DEX, and if we go into Epic levels, I can do four off-hand attacks. I'd be doing plenty of damage, 1d6 or no.

And I never saw the point of tower shields. The don't grant AC (some think they give +3AC compared to a large shield's +2), they grant cover. You could get +3AC from one by getting enough cover, but your enemies would also get the same because of your shield. Not only that, but a tower shield can give you no AC against an opponent behind you or to the side, unless you specifically try to block attacks from that direction; if you do that, you get no shield AC against attacks from the front. Large shields 4TW.

Thief: "I have come to a realisation. Dragons are not real in a general sense, but they may exist in certain specific cases."
Fighter: "Like how quantum mechanics describes how subatomic particles can spontaneously pop into existence at random!"
--8-Bit Theater
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 01-17-2005 11:24:51 AM
quote:
Ninety-nine bottles of Ruvyen on the wall, ninety-nine bottles of Ruvyen...
And I never saw the point of tower shields. The don't grant AC (some think they give +3AC compared to a large shield's +2), they grant cover. You could get +3AC from one by getting enough cover, but your enemies would also get the same because of your shield. Not only that, but a tower shield can give you no AC against an opponent behind you or to the side, unless you specifically try to block attacks from that direction; if you do that, you get no shield AC against attacks from the front. Large shields 4TW.
In 3.5 you get a choice of +4AC or cover (and sometimes you really want cover). It doesn't give your enemies cover because you can move your own shield out of your way. However, the tower shield is very inhibitive to physical skill use (-10 penalty), and is the only shield with a maximum dexterity bonus (+2). Keep in mind also that your GM may decide that only small spiked shields count as light weapons, while large spiked shields count as one-hand weapons (for the same damage).

Ruvyen
Cartoon Broccoli Boy
posted 01-17-2005 11:32:57 AM
quote:
`Doc got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
In 3.5 you get a choice of +4AC or cover (and sometimes you really want cover). It doesn't give your enemies cover because you can move your own shield out of your way. However, the tower shield is very inhibitive to physical skill use (-10 penalty), and is the only shield with a maximum dexterity bonus (+2). Keep in mind also that your GM may decide that only small spiked shields count as light weapons, while large spiked shields count as one-hand weapons (for the same damage).

If you take the +4AC on a tower shield, does it not also give you an attack penalty of some kind, even if you are proficient?

[EDIT- Actually, it does. Quote from 3.5e SRD: "When employing a tower shield in combat, you take a –2 penalty on attack rolls because of the shield’s encumbrance."

So it's similar to two-weapon fighting, only instead of extra attacks, you get +4AC.]

Ruvyen fucked around with this message on 01-17-2005 at 11:36 AM.

--8-Bit Theater
Alaan
posted 01-17-2005 01:52:11 PM
quote:
Ruvyen enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:
If you take the +4AC on a tower shield, does it not also give you an attack penalty of some kind, even if you are proficient?

[EDIT- Actually, it does. Quote from 3.5e SRD: "When employing a tower shield in combat, you take a –2 penalty on attack rolls because of the shield’s encumbrance."

So it's similar to two-weapon fighting, only instead of extra attacks, you get +4AC.]

I used one on a pretty tankly Dwarven Fighter and it worked out ok. I was still hitting pretty consistantly with my Dwarven Waraxe and dishing out some damage. I was a beast in melee because of ~31 AC at level 7.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 01-17-2005 02:51:57 PM
I apologize for jumping to conclusions, Palador.

As for the shield thing...

Spiked (or bladed shields; there are dwarven shields with sharp, axe-like edges) shields end up being more expensive. If it's a spiked or bladed shield, enchanting it counts separately. IE if you want a Spiked shield with, say, Flaming, and a +3 Attack/damage and +3 enchantment, you have to pay for it as a +3 flaming bladed shield, AND as a +3 defense magic shield. You rack up cost pretty fast.

The other thing is that a shield is not the first choice of a lot of classes for a reason. Priest classes need the AC, frankly, but Rangers do better taking feats to maximize two-weapon fighting (there's even a feat that lets you use your off-hand sword as a defensive device on a per-round basis). Barbarians I've known usually maximize the brute force of one two-hander than a pair of smaller weapons (there are exceptions, but they're rare), or they may use a double-headed weapon (double bladed sword, orcish double-axe, etc). Paladins often use shields because they can channel divine power to back up the shield. Likewise, there's the whole issue of jousting that paladins seem to get into more because of their paladinic mount than other classes would. Fighters are the wild cards, but even they don't tend to zero in on shield and weapon.

SO! Why take a shield?

People with Warrior NPC classes or the like frankly need the AC. Soldiers with one feat to spend are better off taking something that lets them lock their shields together a la the Greeks for formation combat. Adventurers are the rarity; they usually fight as individuals working together rather than take feats that maximize group effectiveness. Therefore, shields aren't as straight-up useful. In militaries, a shield is a great choice. Most military movements rely on well-commanded and maneuvered GROUPS of people working together, combined with a hefty dose of "it never hurts to outnumber the other guy". Want to keep the enemy outnumbered you have to keep your guys alive, which means AC.

Okay that covers largely untrained people, but what about PC's?

Shield is still the ultimate accessory, but weirdly enough is the one you never really think about. Me, if I take a fighter, I always have a shield, even if I carry it slung on my back all the time. Why? Because I can. I have the feats to use all shields, including tower shields. Yes I specialize in X type of combat, but I have the ABILITY to whip out a shield if necessary. I'd rather have the cover of a tower shield over a round shield against generic archers, for instance. Why? Because they're not as likely to be trained to aim over or around cover, so not only do they have to see if they get around cover, they still have to make an attack check. Against a trained archer, I'll just take the AC, thanks, and haul ass until I'm in melee range (or until someone else picks the ranged attacker off).

Likewise, a shield covers the same reason why a lot of monks probably wear gloves. Why is that, you might ask? Because I don't like sticking my hand in shit. I can pile stuff on a tower shield and drag it like a sleigh. I can pull a Madmartigan and sled down a frosty mountain. I can have, in other words, a metal plate between me and the ugly I'm hitting. Some mobs, frankly, you just plain don't want to touch (small otyugh, xorn, bullete...), especially when bull rushing or trying to force them back. I'd rather bonk them with a shield and use that to keep them from grabbing onto me as I push them than be grappled personally.

That's the thing that always gets me about fighters. The question Fighters should ask isn't "Why?", but rather "Why not?" Sure you can take any number of feats that maximize a shield, but if you don't, it doesn't mean they're useless. Dual wield to your heart's content. Carry a spear if you like. But why NOT keep a shield handy unless you have a weight limit issue?

Hey GM's out there...what's your stance on dragon's breath and shields? Unless shield in my game are specifically fire resistant, dragons over a certain size class blasting someone with a shield make an automatic sunder attack. Sort of a "massive damage" attack on an item without having to make a called check or the like.

Elvish Crack Piper
posted 01-17-2005 05:42:51 PM
If the damage is > than the shields hardness, by all means make a note of it, then when damage = shields HP, it breaks and the overflow hits the PC.
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 01-17-2005 06:06:01 PM
you'd be surprised how many times people have stood in the path of some godawful blast attack thinking standing stalwartly behind a tower shield will fork the blast neatly.

Elvish Crack Piper
posted 01-17-2005 08:24:52 PM
Only if a devout paladin tried that would I not roll for damage to the item (classic divine thing, that for some reason I dont remember a rule being for it in the book)

It would fork though a little, so maybe double hardness reduction?

Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 01-17-2005 11:49:04 PM
quote:
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael had this to say about Optimus Prime:
I apologize for jumping to conclusions, Palador.

Oh, I never said that I didn't want to do it, just that I would never ask to.

Actually, I've been playing with the idea of making a pack-based creature for use in a game. Each member of the pack is mind linked to the others, with one pack member per HD. If one of the pack members gets killed, the group mind takes a negative level untill that member can be replaced. (If the group mind is dual-classed, you need to keep track of what members are tied to which class.)

I'm not quite sure how to handle number of attacks, and splitting the pack apart. I'll keep thinking on it.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: