EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: DnD DM's and Players!
OtakuPenguin
Peels like a tangerine, but is juicy like an orange.
posted 02-20-2004 12:32:29 AM
I need a little help here...I guess.

My friends and I are first time DnD players. I know (finally) how to really play, and wuold like to play online sometime, but that's a different matter.

None of us had ever really played before, but we all know basic fantasy stuff and all caught on pretty quick. We've played four times, and my good friend's brother is our DM. I don't know how to compare DM's, but I'd say he's average.

My question is, how do we get to RP more? I mean, we all can, but we just...don't. I mean, I try to get it going, but it's so hard. We're all really good friends with inside jokes and it gets off track easily.

What are some tips you guys have? Also, we're doing a lot of other new player stuff, such as critizing the player for in character actions, "You're dumb Ian, don't cast Sleep!!" etc...

Any tips for new players? Anything? We're all level 3 now.

..:: This Is The Sound Of Settling ::..
Alek
Not The Rapist
posted 02-20-2004 12:34:27 AM
Cast magic missile at the darkness.
"Love wisdom, and she will make you great. Embrace her, and she will bring you honour. She will be your crowning glory."
-Proverbs 4:8-9
Nicole
The hip-hop-happiest bunny in all of marshmallow woods
posted 02-20-2004 01:33:57 AM
You prolly don't do it because you're going to feel silly. yes, that's an assumption, but it's usually right.

One: Ignore the "don't cast sleep!" people. Sleep is actually not bad, if you're not going up against something huge, but Color Spray is better against hordes. BUT I DIGRESS. Your character will do what your character will do; whether that's a wise decision or not is not for you to know, but your character.

Two: Whenever you negotiate/talk with people, friggin' TALK WITH THEM. No "I negotiate with the bad guy" *Diplomacy roll*. Say hello, comment on the weather, say what your character would say, yadda yadda. Bit of a small thing compared to...

Three: Speak as your character. Your gonna have to get over the "but I feel silly" thing for this, but unfortunately there's no advice that'd work on an individual basis for that. Good thing is as soon as one does it, others likely will too. Try making up catchphrases and whatnot for your characters. Example: in my campaign, the swashbuckler-type says a quick prayer to Olidammara before big fights, and mine takes every opportunity to swear viciously at religious institutions that is presented to her. If you still feel silly, talk to the peoples about it - working out the "gahhh it's weird trying to be an elf in PUBLIC" thing with others might help.

Others'll prolly have better ideas, but eh, here's mine.

Oh: and never go into melee with anything with eight heads. When you're a sorcerer. *angrily rubs her death wound*

I just spent
my last cent
purchasing this poverty.

Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 02-20-2004 01:37:30 AM
quote:
OtakuPenguin had this to say about Jimmy Carter:

My question is, how do we get to RP more? I mean, we all can, but we just...don't. I mean, I try to get it going, but it's so hard. We're all really good friends with inside jokes and it gets off track easily.

What are some tips you guys have? Also, we're doing a lot of other new player stuff, such as critizing the player for in character actions, "You're dumb Ian, don't cast Sleep!!" etc...

First of all, if you're all having fun getting off track, then why stop? But, to help you out a bit more...

You've got to start getting into your characters' heads a bit more. Make up a list of 5 to 20 questions that touch on background and personality, and answer them for your characters. Things like:

Why are you doing this?
What is your fondest childhood memory?
What family do/did you have? Brothers, sisters?
What's your favorite color, and why?
Any regrets?
Any dark secrets in their past?
Does your character have any race / gender issues?
How often do you get drunk, and where do you wake up after?
Ect...

Not only will this help you flesh out the characters more and help you understand how they would react in a given situation, it will also give the GM plot hooks to use. Things about your character and their past that the GM can use to make part of the storyline personal.

As for discussing what your characters are doing outside of the game, that's not bad if it's kept under control. Just remember though, people mess up sometimes. Characters are not perfect. Sometimes they cast sleep when it's not a good idea. And sometimes, you should just stay quiet and let them mess up.

I've seen two characters die (mine, and my roommate's) because the party warrior kept blowing her attempts to bandage us before we bled to death. We didn't remind her that there were healing potions sitting in the next room, we just let her keep messing up till we were dead. THEN she found the healing potions, when it was too late. Sure we died, but it was still funny.

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Alek
Not The Rapist
posted 02-20-2004 01:39:13 AM
quote:
Neeecole spewed forth this undeniable truth:
Oh: and never go into melee when you're a sorcerer.

Fixx0red! Well, unless you have Tenser's Transformation on.

"Love wisdom, and she will make you great. Embrace her, and she will bring you honour. She will be your crowning glory."
Caid '5 Fists' Berrit
I've had a few beers but I'm cool to drive
posted 02-20-2004 01:40:00 AM
Well let's see here....from my experience, the way you all begin to roleplay better will come with time. It may take a few quests or even a campaign or two to get it down, but it can take a bit to really get into your characters and not make those OOC mistakes.

The DM can also encourage roleplay quite a bit, not so much with rewards(I don't like to use them anyway) but with setting up situations that you need to roleplay through.

Fantasy books are really what got me out of the 'power-gamer' mind set and into the roleplaying side of things, not sure where you guys stand with that. And the guys in my group I roleplay the best with, are the ones I used to play RP enforced UO shards with for years...cause well..we roleplayed there, and now we can each play off eachother really well.

I think it'll just come with time, only having played four times and wanting to roleplay is a good sign though.

*shrugs*

'But if I had a shotgun you know what I'd do?
I'd point that shit straight at the sky and shoot heavan on down for you'

Bradley Nowell
Nicole
posted 02-20-2004 01:44:23 AM
quote:
Alek Saege had this to say about Duck Tales:
Fixx0red! Well, unless you have Tenser's Transformation on.

I only REALLY learned that after I was killz0red.

And I don't have that, and don't think I'll get it . I'm going the "magical artillery" route .

I just spent
my last cent
purchasing this poverty.

Alek
Not The Rapist
posted 02-20-2004 01:47:27 AM
quote:
Neeecole had this to say about Optimus Prime:
I only REALLY learned that after I was killz0red.

And I don't have that, and don't think I'll get it . I'm going the "magical artillery" route .

Tenser's Transformation is a good last spell though. Once you're out of fireballs and ice storms you can always make yourself into a fighter and help your party.

Nicole
posted 02-20-2004 01:53:25 AM
quote:
Alek Saege's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:
Tenser's Transformation is a good last spell though. Once you're out of fireballs and ice storms you can always make yourself into a fighter and help your party.

True. Then again, we're getting into the "a billion wands of everything" part of the game, better known as "we're fighting too many things that should be kicking our ass, but don't, so we get their stuff", so if after I blast it it's not dead then damnit, I sit back and let the barbarian earn his keep.

And other pretty shiny spells to get anyway.

I just spent
my last cent
purchasing this poverty.

Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 02-20-2004 04:51:34 AM
Took myself awhile to start roleplaying.

Mostly when there was an incredibly good DM loved by all who wouldnt say anything about me not roleplaying, but other people told me it got on his nerves.

SOOO

In a game of Mutants and MAsterminds I got into an in game argument as a "flash" type guy with a mexican GL. My first real roleplaying bit though was when we first played MAge: The Ascension and I took 38 points in flaws all related to marajuwana. Turns out the max number of flaws is 7 points, but my guy was dead before we found that part out(DM gave me a voice in my head even though I would have needed to be a level 5 crazy while I was only level 3 crazy) and I jumped out the window when I thought the DEA Was there.

Anyway.

Speaking in charecter is cool, I found that it easier if you have a schitck, myself I "smoked" a joint 24/7 that group stopping(or not) to fuck with reallity.(time+entropy baby!)

Its easy, just do it. People at my college have the misfortune of being idiots when it comes to party creation and always seem to choose an assortment of various melee magicly declined classes(like the most recent group of barbarian, ranger, and rogue!) and need to roleplay so the DM cheats on the roles so they dont die ta a few goblins.

(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 02-20-2004 09:24:29 AM
First off...listen to everything Nicole said in her first post. All of that's good stuff.

Secondly, cut down on distractions. Don't let people read comic books or chat about movies or have the TV on. Try and set a mood for when you run games. A little outside chat is okay, but it should be cut down to stuff before game and stuff after game. When you're there to play, play.

Keep things rolling, too. Roleplaying is good, but it's a lot harder to do constantly in a tabletop game than it is to do online. If it starts to come apart, move along. Having conversations in character is cool, but you can't roleplay everything, and people have different tolerances. Sometimes there are social situations (anything you roll a diplomacy check for, for instance, or are trying to put on a certain image for), but while banter in combat is fun, deep conversations in combat just plain don't happen. On the other hand, stalking, slinking, sneaking, moving along through a dungeon or whatever, feel free to slip into character and make terse commentary on things.

Oh and ask a lot of questions about things. Don't be disruptive or an ass, but if you can grab as much detail about situations as possible, it really helps everyone shift into the mood.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 02-20-2004 10:38:06 AM
Much of what I can tell you has already been covered by Nicole, Mightion, and Deth. If I say it again, just consider it emphasis.

Give your character a real background. Once you have a general concept, ask your GM for details. If your character grew up in a big city, find out some things about the most appropriate big city. Figure out how long you've been away from home, and if it's been a while, what have you done in the meantime? What was your family like?

Spend some of your skill points on things your character did growing up, even if they're no help to you whatsoever when it comes to adventuring. Profession and craft skills are great for this.

Make your character with a personality in mind. Figure out, generally, what kind of person you're playing. Ask yourself some simple questions about his temperament. Is he a showoff or a flirt? Is he greedy? Is he a protector? Is he haughty, or racist? Is he outgoing, or shy, or brooding? Optimist, pessimist, realist, or wholely unconcerned? Many times the answers to these questions determine why your character has taken to an adventuring life, and what his goals are.

Personality quirks, though not necessary, add a lot to a character. You can draw these from your abilities, or just make them up as you like. There's nothing wrong with a pacifist druid, a sorcerer who talks to himself (in the first, second, and third person), a superstitious thief, a barbarian who thinks all magic is evil, or a bard who keeps looking for the lost society of something-or-other.

Get into character, especially in social situations. When you have to negotiate, or bluff, or use just about any skill based on charisma, don't roll the dice. Play it out instead. When setting up camp, strike up short conversations with your travelling companions, including the other players, NPCs, and your familiar (or animal companions for a druid) if applicable.

Play on your character's personality. The dwarf with a charisma score of 6 may be battlescarred, but he's probably not that sociable either. If you're playing a haughty wizard, bring a thesaurus to the game. If you play a blockheaded barbarian and your friend is playing the haughty wizard, stare blankly at the wizard every time he uses one of those "funny words" from the thesaurus.

During combat, or before and after, play by a particular style suited to your character's personality. If he's the sort who always rushes in, then strategy be damned, that's what you do. If he's the sort who likes to "supervise", and never does any of the real work, then stick with that, and let the party complain in character when you repeatedly prove unhelpful. If your character swears constantly... swear constantly (I suggest making up your own swearwords for the game if you choose this route).

Keep a separation between what you know and what your character knows. If your thief goes "shopping" while the party discusses the next mission, then he'll have no idea where everyone is going or why, unless one of his companions fills him in. Remember that you probably don't know about most of your party's equipment, especially magical equipment, until your character sees them use it. If the warrior finds bottles of "pretty colored liquids" and stuffs them in his bag, the rest of the party won't know about those potions unless the warrior tells them in character.

There's nothing wrong with jokes, both in character and out of character. In our first session of Katrinity's game, our sorcerer stopped at a vendor offering some sort of impotence-curing powder, and stalled the party while he tried to find out what was in it. This made for entertaining roleplay, heavy use of the "bluff" skill by all party members, and a running gag for the two days in-game time that followed. If your group enjoys that sort of humor, odds are you'll have everyone's quirks turned into running gags within the first few sessions

I'm sure there's more, but I don't recall them at the moment.
Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: