EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Question for D&D DMs
Alaan
posted 06-23-2003 08:34:20 PM
I'm starting a campaign, but instead of the players being just a group of adventurers, they are part of a military mercenary group. So they get a weekly salary instead of rewards at the end of an adventure/mission. What kind of pay should level 5's get?
Suddar
posted 06-23-2003 08:37:57 PM
In theory a level 5 would be a very very good soldier, so their pay should be good as well. How many adventures do you get into a "week"?
Alaan
posted 06-23-2003 08:39:53 PM
They are actually almost the high command for the group. There is an overall Commander, his assistant, and a few other officers. These are basically the senior non-commisioned officers.

On the note of adventures a week, probably 2 or 3 depending on what they are doing.

Kekvit Irae
Pancake
posted 06-23-2003 08:46:54 PM
Start with 50 gold per player and work your way up to something comfortable.
Remember that to most people, 50 gold is almost five years pay, and you are scaling it up for characters who are 5 levels higher than the normal commoner or militia.
On the flip side, it's a paltry amount, incouraging the party to adventure for riches instead of sitting in town doing almost nothing dangerous for their share.

EDIT: Obviously, the economy of the town/city they are stationed in also comes into play. They will only get a fraction if they are in a small village with no outside links, but they will get the full amount if they are in a big city with full support from the Army or Militia

[ 06-23-2003: Message edited by: Kekvit Irae ]

Kinanik
Upset about being titless
posted 06-23-2003 09:22:30 PM
quote:
Kekvit Irae is a big idiot for thinking:
incouraging

What's incouraging?

Gully Foyle is my name
And Terra is my nation
Deep space is my dwelling place
The stars my destination
Y.O.T.C
No longer a Towel Girl
posted 06-23-2003 09:39:26 PM
Give [strikeout]us[/strikeout] them a million gold a day.

Ok, whats the strikeout code?

[ 06-23-2003: Message edited by: Y.O.T.G. ]

MorbId
Pancake
posted 06-23-2003 09:50:25 PM
You're overdoing it.

It's just the word 'strike' instead out of strikeout.

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 06-23-2003 09:57:20 PM
First, salary-based rewards should be given based on game time. If a week of game time passes in two weeks real time, their salary should be drawn every two weeks. If a week game time passes every session, they would draw their salary at the beginning of each session, or have an NPC present it to them at the end of the session. You can also have time lapses between sessions or adventures to fill out the week.

As for the amount of the reward, you said they're mercenaries. If that's true, have them negotiate the reward with whoever's hiring them for each mission.

Your typical craftsman will be able to make standard non-magical items, and maybe some masterwork items. In order to obtain magic items in a city, your players will need to commission the services of specialized wizards and expert smithies. Again, they should describe the steps taken at the least, and roleplay the process if possible. Armor, whether magical or non-magical, must be made to order, so they shouldn't be able to walk out with it in the same session they order it.

The adventures themselves should still offer rewards beyond the basic salary. Rare finds, such as unusual scrolls, magic oddities, etc., should show up in the possession of people other than those for whom your character works. They would likely need to combat opponents with resources comparable to their own, so a dark sorcerer may use an enchanted staff against them. Defeat the wizard, and they get the staff. That sort of thing.

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Alaan
posted 06-24-2003 11:14:48 AM
Well, they are working for a quite rich kingdom/country, so they probably will be making a fair deal of money. Off to check the DMs guide some more I guess.
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 06-24-2003 01:45:07 PM
Things to consider during price negotiations:

How difficult is the task? Can it be done by a larger group of less skilled solders? Will all the PC's skills actually be needed? Will the PCs need to employ hirelings? Will the kingdom hire anyone else to join the PCs on their mission?

Is there any competition for the PC's services? This works both ways. First, are there any other groups of mercenaries with comparable skill to the PCs? If so, it will create competition, leading to lower wages. Are other kingdoms trying to hire the PCs? If so, they can use that to negotiate better pay. ("I'm sure King XYZ will pay what I'm asking.")

How much has the kingdom paid them for their services in the past? How much have private interests (other nobles, trading companies, etc) paid for their services? Compare the difficulty to prior missions, and try to figure out an average payment relative to difficulty.

What expenses will the group likely incur during their mission? Are they likely to need armor & weapon repairs? Specialized equipment (such as a spyglass, or enchanted weapons to strike a magical opponent)? Hirelings (as mentioned above)? Figure out the bare minimum they'd need for the mission, but don't tell your players. Then ask them to come up with what they think will be the bare minimum expense of the mission, and explain why. If they justify their expenses decently, then their fee should be at least double the lower of the two estimates, and at least 10% over the higher estimate.

Consider the risk factors involved. Delivering a message tends to pose less risk than taking control of an enemy stronghold. However, if they have to destroy an enemy stronghold to deliver the message, that increases the risk. Their pay should calibrate itself accordingly.

How important is the service the PCs are asked to perform? Something which saves the kingdom is typically worth more than something that brings glory to the kingdom (provided someone knows it's saving the kingdom).

[ 06-24-2003: Message edited by: Ford Prefect ]

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Alaan
posted 06-24-2003 01:52:29 PM
Thanks for all the help.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: