EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: OK, this time my D&D game is for real.
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 04-09-2003 05:13:26 AM
I want you to send me characters. First level basic stuff, no magic items to start unless you have a DAMN good reason to justify it, and even then it cant be some +1 weapon or something, would have to be something minor

Send me characters, with backgrounds. If you have the oriental Adventures book, feel free to use it, as I will be picking it up soon. The game setting will likely come from this book also, or potentially from the Forgotten Realms book. I'm not sure yet.

As for rolling up characters...Stats will be done in IRC, I wont be accepting everyone's character background, when I do accept it, we will roll the actual character and such in IRC.

I am accepting ONLY 4 people, as this is my first time DMing. At the recommendations of others, I'd prefer you have little to no experience DMing, and also prefer you not be a munchkin.

I reserve the right to refuse anyone a spot for any reason I so desire, ranging from "Your character wouldnt fit" all the way down to "I stubbed my toe after I read your character's background"

Email em to falaanla@ec.rr.com. Deadline is, oh, 2 weeks from today. Wednesday the 23rd. Game Start date not quite set. Application deadline may end early if I get 4 people I like early.

Oh yeah, one more thing. Lets keep this to PHB races only.

ADDITION: On OA characters: I may refuse these on a case to case basis after conferring with others on balance issues with them. I'll let you know if I cant work with that class and ask you to choose another. I reserve the right to make minor modifications to a class, also.

[ 04-09-2003: Message edited by: Falaanla Marr ]

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 04-09-2003 05:17:07 AM
Post here, PM me, or email me with any questions, by the way.

Reason for the request of a character background before rolling stats: I dont want this to be a game for roll-players, but one for roleplayers. Feel free to send me stats and such, but I do reserve the right to request that you roll them over again and rechoose skills and such. Your character will not be approved/disapproved based on your stats but WILL be based on the background you send me.

[ 04-09-2003: Message edited by: Falaanla Marr ]

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 04-09-2003 06:04:08 AM
OK, last post on this tonight.

Changing the stat determination method to a modified point buy system.

Each stat starts at 8. You have 20 total points to buy stats with. 1 point increase always equals 1 point.

Cant go over 18 before racial bonuses of course.

Also, if you wait till tomorrow, I may add more allowed races from the OA book.

Drakkenmaw
Crunchy, tastes good with ketchup
posted 04-09-2003 08:21:00 AM
Whoa, hold on a moment... you might not want to allow submissions from the Oriental campaign setting unless you plan to follow the rules laid out in there for restrictions of certain character-types, or unless you want to do some modification of PC classes on the fly.

The PC classes they have in the Oriental Adventures book are re-tooled to be slightly more powerful than those outside it, and if you intent to use Rokugan then that difference is even more pronounced. This is because, while the "base swords" in the regular D&D setting are the longsword/shortsword, the weapons around which Oriental combat is based are the katana and the wakazashi - which are treated as almost masterwork by default in several situations, and in fact ARE masterwork by default to more than one Oriental class.

This isn't TOO much of an unbalancing factor, but it can work to tip the balance among potential conflicts - which could restrict PC effectiveness more than you intend for it to.

Just to let you know. Oh, and check out the Legend of the Five Rings/Rokugan books if you're interested in running an Oriental campaign. I play in a campaign using that series, and the depth of culture they present is astoundingly nice.

Ruvie's Alt
Haven't you always wanted a monkey?
posted 04-09-2003 09:24:54 AM
CARDBOARD TUBE SAMURAI!1/
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 04-09-2003 09:40:45 AM
quote:
So quoth Falaanla Marr:
Each stat starts at 8. You have 20 total points to buy stats with. 1 point increase always equals 1 point.

Cant go over 18 before racial bonuses of course.

With an average ability score of 11.3 (standard point buy uses 12.2), and minimum scores of 8, you're not going to see many people grabbing for the 18's. Taking one score of 16 and one of 14 leaves only 6 points to distribute between the other 4 ability scores. Even a single 18 uses half the points available.

Going with a point buy system was, in my opinion, a good decision. It frees players from worrying if the ability scores they roll will fit the character they describe, and also helps to keep characters more balanced, so that no one character overshadows the others with his or her natural talents.

I can understand wanting to keep characters as "normal" people. Just keep in mind that making things too rigid makes it difficult to customize a character. Lowering the minimum slightly and diverting more points to the buy would add flexibility. Base scores of 7 with 26 points gives the same average score, as does a base of 6 with 32 points. Second edition point buys used a base score of 4, though I think that's a bit too low.

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 04-09-2003 12:43:54 PM
Like I said, I'm new to this. I've never done this before.

OK, no submissions until I get all the kinks worked out.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 04-09-2003 12:55:08 PM
I foresee Ford trying in some way to get into the game on some loophole.

I foresee Kekvit griping and guilt tripping to get into the game.

I foresee everyone not asked sticking their noses in and giving opinions.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Sean
posted 04-09-2003 01:03:46 PM
quote:
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael wrote, obviously thinking too hard:

I foresee Kekvit griping and guilt tripping to get into the game.

I foresee thirty-ish people posting that they wish to join.

I foresee none of these thirty-ish contacting Fal for further information.

I foresee two of the group's members showing up an hour late to the first game, if at all.

A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 04-09-2003 02:11:31 PM
quote:
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael obviously shouldn't have said:
Actually I already told Fal I wasn't going to join. Besides, I've been a GM for over a year now, running a game with Falaanla playing in it.

However, your third predition about people who weren't asked for their opinions giving their opinions, that's guaranteed. Everyone who has advice for a first-time GM will give their opinions... including you.

Damn, RQG nailed this one.

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 04-09-2003 02:16:21 PM
Time to rez this thread of GM tips. Why? Just because.

I misspelled prediction.

Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 04-09-2003 02:21:54 PM
Whee...g'luck DMing Fal!

I so wanna DM my own game of d20 Wheel of Time one of these days...

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
Drakkenmaw
Crunchy, tastes good with ketchup
posted 04-09-2003 02:23:45 PM
quote:
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael obviously shouldn't have said:

*Shrug.* Well, duh. I was a first-time DM at one point, too, and I would've killed for a half-dozen people to point out the things that I should've looked at before running the campaign. So, I'm trying to assist.

Oh, and Fal - if you're contemplating running the game in OA style, I have a large amount of Oriental source material in d20. That way you won't have to compromise on the restrictions of "Western" D&D things in a potentially-unbalancing manner in order to make up for a lack of actual Oriental alternatives. So, if you'd like, I could give it to you.

(Note - Feel free to modify your own campaign in any way you like. You want to use all the PHB classes? Go ahead. You want to change the katana to do 1d20 damage? Your decision. You want to run Cthulu as a DM-run party member? Sure. Remember, these are suggestions and thoughts. You're the DM, you do whatever you like in your own campaign.)

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 04-09-2003 05:13:22 PM
I didn't say it was necessarily a bad thing. But eighty million GM's are like too many chefs in the kitchen. Better Fal ask the GM's he knows when he gets stuck, and thereby develop his own base to stand on, then us all waddle in throwing our two cents around like the word of god, since no two GM's agree on everything.
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty

Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 04-09-2003 06:19:10 PM
I can't play, but I'm curious. What's the story and the setting? If you have any troubles with that, I can help you work out kinks if you want

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

MorbId
Pancake
posted 04-09-2003 06:44:20 PM
Had you decided what day and time you wanted to go with?
ArchAngel
Not a girl, never will be, no matter how much you may hear differently
posted 04-09-2003 07:54:55 PM
quote:
Drakkenmaw had this to say about Captain Planet:

I have a large amount of Oriental source material in d20. That way you won't have to compromise on the restrictions of "Western" D&D things in a potentially-unbalancing manner in order to make up for a lack of actual Oriental alternatives. So, if you'd like, I could give it to you.

Ooooh... I want.

[ 04-09-2003: Message edited by: ArchAngel ]

"What power would hell have if those imprisoned there could not dream of heaven?" -Dream, Sandman
"When the first living thing existed, I was there waiting. When the last living thing dies, my job will be finished. I'll put the chairs on the tables, turn out the lights, and lock the universe behind me as I leave." -Death, Sandman
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot." Dream, Sandman
Full sigpic image
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 04-09-2003 11:20:25 PM
quote:
MorbId thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:
Had you decided what day and time you wanted to go with?

That's generally something that the group as a whole decides on.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 04-09-2003 11:23:05 PM
quote:
Densetsu thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:
That's generally something that the group as a whole decides on.

Yeah, was waiting till I knew who would be playing to decide.

Wasnt able to go get the book today, will have it before the weekend.

Vise the Stompy
Title now 100% ass free!
posted 04-09-2003 11:48:50 PM
I will definatly submitt a charachter by the weekend.
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 04-11-2003 12:07:31 PM
Well shit

Books a million didnt have the Oriental Adventures book, nor did Waldenbooks

Gonn have to order it online, unless somewhere else in the area has a copy. :/

Feel free to submit characters, but there is gonna be a bit more time now due to this

Azymyth
Not gay; just weird
posted 04-11-2003 12:39:52 PM
quote:
ArchAngel's fortune cookie read:
Ooooh... I want.
I suffer from CRS: Can't Remember Shit.

Sig pic done by the very talented SJen!

Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 04-11-2003 12:50:39 PM
<coughs> I saw a PDF version of the OA book on Khyron's FTP if ya need it. Was under Addy's(or Abby's...I don't remember!) DnD files before the reordering of it, so not sure if its still there.

[ 04-11-2003: Message edited by: Katrinity ]

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 04-11-2003 01:18:33 PM
quote:
Katrinity impressed everyone with:
<coughs> I saw a PDF version of the OA book on Khyron's FTP if ya need it. Was under Addy's(or Abby's...I don't remember!) DnD files before the reordering of it, so not sure if its still there.

Now Kat. You know me well enough to know how I am about things like this.

Now, If I end up having to buy on Amazon...I may have to check out the PDF.

Jajahotep
Vader to Deth's Obi-wan
posted 04-11-2003 02:02:53 PM
I'd sign up in a heartbeat if I knew anything about this stuff

Good luck though!

King Parcelan
Chicken of the Sea
posted 04-11-2003 02:04:29 PM
Oriental Adventures is a waste of time and money, much like your childhood. I hate you for supporting it and charge you a ten dollar nerd tax.
Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 04-11-2003 02:04:56 PM
I was just letting ya know if your options run out.
Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 04-11-2003 02:06:05 PM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Iron Parcelan wrote:
Oriental Adventures is a waste of time and money, much like your childhood. I hate you for supporting it and charge you a ten dollar nerd tax.

Parce is just jealous of us Uber Wu-jen ^.^

<dances around>

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
King Parcelan
Chicken of the Sea
posted 04-11-2003 02:12:36 PM
Oriental Adventures seemed to me like a bunch of Chinese crap was thrown with Indian crap and then they slapped Ninjas on it and called it a game.
Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 04-11-2003 02:13:59 PM
Hate to tell ya this Parce, but the term Oriental means all of East Asia, which includes India
Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
King Parcelan
Chicken of the Sea
posted 04-11-2003 02:14:57 PM
I hereby expel you from The Club.
Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 04-11-2003 02:20:33 PM
What Club?
Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
King Parcelan
Chicken of the Sea
posted 04-11-2003 02:25:38 PM
The Club.
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 04-11-2003 02:30:57 PM
While I do respect Parcelan's opinion on most D&D stuff, I don't share his opinion of Oriental Adventures. The classes are, in some cases, rather heinous (Shamans, for instance), but a GM can work things out to fit. Of course, if you run an entirely OA campaign, then the "fixing things" point is moot, since players will almost certainly all pick OA classes.

Another thing to keep in mind, Fal, is Prestige Classes. Parce, as I recall, generally doesn't care much for them, while I encourage my players to take them if they like. Different styles, depending on how much variation and work you're willing to handle.

Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 04-11-2003 02:31:27 PM
FOMAC?
Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
King Parcelan
Chicken of the Sea
posted 04-11-2003 03:01:10 PM
I'm generally okay with prestige classes. I don't agree with them replacing other classes, though. If you do that, you get sort of a Pokemon Evolution thing going. Fighter evolves to Blackguard, Ranger evolves to Arcane Archer, and such.

Oriental Adventures just blows.

Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 04-11-2003 03:02:53 PM
quote:
So quoth Iron Parcelan:
Oriental Adventures just blows me away with its mad wild flavour and fresh funky beat!

Tru-dat Parce! Tru dat!

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
King Parcelan
Chicken of the Sea
posted 04-11-2003 03:14:10 PM
Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 04-11-2003 03:15:46 PM
Ahhh, you're such a tease Parce.
Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 04-11-2003 03:32:45 PM
You two are so cute together.

And thank you for correcting me on that point, Parce. I tend to agree, for the most part, that you should continue to "double up" (wizard/loremaster/wizard/loremaster, etc) for the most part. Sometimes it's okay to go whole hog into a new PClass, but not always. That's the biggest problem I have with a lot of the third party d20 source material PClasses; they expect that you're going to completely give up the classes that got you ready to take X Prestige class, because now you have this class that grants GREAT COSMIC POWER. Neat feats don't make up for stupid players, in other words.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: