EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: More inane questions! (This is about D&D)
Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 02-12-2003 10:08:41 PM
My friends and I have just now decided to start up with a D&D group. We have somewhere between 4 to 6 people who are interested in playing. As the one with the most experience in gaming and whatnot, we decided I would be DM.... now, my question is, how do I go about it all!?

I'll be getting the core books tomorrow, and we're going to just start out on the module campaigns to begin with until we're all comfortable. We have little to no pen and paper gaming experience behind us, and tomorrow I am going to go to the local gaming store to sit in on a campaign to watch what they do and how they do it.

Just any advice for an aspiring DM who has never really done it before would be quite helpful. I don't wanna hear the line of 'you need more experience in the game first' cause I'm as stubborn as a mule and I am GOING to do it.

Any advice?

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Koosh Man
Pancake
posted 02-12-2003 10:10:54 PM
Your audience should dictate the scenario. If it's a bunch of short attention span teenagers, dungeon crawls will be the best. If you've got true balls to the wall roleplayers, you'll need something a little bit more in depth.

The best advice I can give you is to know your victi -- players.

Sean
posted 02-12-2003 10:11:04 PM
quote:
We were all impressed when Azakias wrote:
Any advice?

Start small.

Hide your dice rolls so you can fudge the numbers without the players getting picky.

A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 02-12-2003 10:11:48 PM
quote:
Azakias stopped beating up furries long enough to write:
Any advice?

As GOD (Games Operational Director, aka: the GM), you can bend or break any rule you feel the need to. Except one:

Have fun.

So long as everyone's having some fun, it doesn't matter if you're totally by the book or not.

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Koosh Man
Pancake
posted 02-12-2003 10:12:28 PM
quote:
DƒU wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
Start small.

Hide your dice rolls so you can fudge the numbers without the players getting picky.

This is a good one, too.

Sean
posted 02-12-2003 10:13:23 PM
quote:
Someone Else's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:
This is a good one, too.

The hobgoblin killed you, his ogre friends take turns anally raping your corpse.

Would you like to [roll a new character]?

Addy
posted 02-12-2003 10:14:02 PM
Be prepared for any situation.

Just because you THINK they'll follow X plan, doesn't mean they will. Learn to be spontaneous when it comes to these situations.

Oh, and every game needs a good h0t knight.

Koosh Man
Pancake
posted 02-12-2003 10:14:40 PM
I would like to roll a new character.

What new character?

Where is the roll a new character?

When do I get to roll a new character?

I will shove my roll a new character up your bung.

Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 02-12-2003 10:14:47 PM
It was funny when I went into the store today too.

Me, my friend Liz, and her little brother walk in... and what was a rather noisy couple of card games turned silent as about 15 guys turned around and stared at us. It took another couple of seconds before the guy who worked there identified himself and asked me if he could help me, like I had wondered into the store by accident. I talked to the guy, gamer to gamer, and conversation slowly started back up again, though it was hushed and everyone in there was listening to the conversation. Then we got invited back tomorrow to sit in on games.

I just found it hilarious. 15 guys just staring as though I grew another head, and most of them were staring at me since I was the only one out of our group doing the talking.

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
King Parcelan
Chicken of the Sea
posted 02-12-2003 10:16:05 PM
It never occured to you that they had never seen a girl before?

...you are a girl, aren't you?

Sean
posted 02-12-2003 10:16:41 PM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Someone Else!
I will shove my roll a new character up your bung.

Hello, Widebum Saggyanus.

Koosh Man
Pancake
posted 02-12-2003 10:17:28 PM
I have +3 in anal bleeding.
Nwist, Who?
Nwist
posted 02-12-2003 10:20:16 PM
The most important thing I've found is the be quick. Think up a quick history of the general area, and have a list of about 20 randomly generated names.

If the players ask anything, you should be able to come up with an answer on the spot.

Another important thing, which is covered in the DMs Guide, is to not lead your players by the nose. Very, very, important.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 02-12-2003 10:20:35 PM
1. For the love of god, keep it simple. Everyone starts at level 1, everyone uses PHB races. Later on, folks will probably want to multiclass, and that's fine once you have the basics down. In games you run in the future you may want to let them play Aasimars, Genasi, and Tieflings. To start out, keep it simple.

2. Get the rules, familiarize yourself with them, but notify everyone that this is a learning experience all around, so ask them to bear with you. It took me a long time to get all the bugs worked out of my first GMing experience.

3. If the group is heavy duty RP, go with that. Incorporate combat where necessary, but don't turn it into a hack-and-slash. If the group wants a dungeon crawl, go hack and slash, with a minimum of story to keep things rolling.

4. Try to stick with the rules. Everyone says ditch the rules you don't like, and that's okay, but the d20 ruleset for 3e is a really easy to learn system. If something flat out doesn't fit your concept, then remove it. But if you go hacking out chunks of the rules on a whim, you'll end up wounding yourself in the future, trust me.

[ 02-12-2003: Message edited by: Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael ]

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Sean
posted 02-12-2003 10:22:44 PM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Someone Else said:
I have +3 in anal bleeding.

You have reminded me.

Az: Don't let your players assume anything happens. If they say "I lie down and go to sleep", they drop to the floor where they stand and suffer Resting in Armor penalties the next day. Assumptions start small, but they'll eventually grow to be a problem.

Suddar
posted 02-12-2003 10:23:26 PM
quote:
Addy got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
Be prepared for any situation.

Just because you THINK they'll follow X plan, doesn't mean they will. Learn to be spontaneous when it comes to these situations.

Oh, and every game needs a good h0t knight.

Yeah--have a story guideline, but don't leave anything too concrete. Don't push your players into a story that they didn't walk into themselves, it helps the flow of the game tremendously. You may think your story works for every situation, but it doesn't. Players can do some wacky, wild, crazy things. Just be prepared for anything, and be prepared to improvise and change the entire course of your game.

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 02-12-2003 10:25:08 PM
If you go by the book a lot, it leaves EVERYTHING to dicerolls. Like, if you want to get an item from a shopkeeper, you roll a persuasion check against the shopkeeper's willingness to keep it (DC.. Dice check. 3rd ed or 2nd ed? I'd guess you'd be playing 3rd..), etc.

Often, it's more fun to talk it out with your player, you the DM playing the shopkeeper, and such.

Though things like a bard trying to impress an audience would be rolled.

Suddar
posted 02-12-2003 10:33:55 PM
quote:
How.... Delphi Aegis.... uughhhhhh:
If you go by the book a lot, it leaves EVERYTHING to dicerolls. Like, if you want to get an item from a shopkeeper, you roll a persuasion check against the shopkeeper's willingness to keep it (DC.. Dice check. 3rd ed or 2nd ed? I'd guess you'd be playing 3rd..), etc.

Not really, it'd only be persuasion if you were trying to swindle him or something. Otherwise you wouldn't really even need a diceroll at all, unless the book's more anal than I remember. Most people will react neutrally to you unless you're trying to talk or act impressive, then the charisma rolls start...rolling.

And it's Difficulty Class, I believe.

Burger
BANNED!
posted 02-12-2003 10:39:26 PM
if you're with a bunch of players that have little to no roleplaying experience, and you think a hack-n-slash is a good route to try as a beginning adventure, try grabbing a preconstructed campaign (or adventure) it'll have a little book and maps for you to lead the characters through an adventure. It's an EASY way to get your feet wet as a GM, and they're ormally well enough written to entertain your players and make them want to come back and play again.

The first roleplaying i ever did was on an undermountain campaign, and i was hooked on roleplaying for years afterwards...

Almost forgot, when you're describing rooms and such, try using adjectives instead of numbers...

Example: You walk into a 15' by 30' room and it has a 12' high cieling, there are 33 trolls off in the corner.

OR:

You walk into a middle sized fat room, with high cielings, and thre are a ton of trolls off in one corner.

I think the second is a much truer description, and if they ask for dimentions, then give it to them, but in real life, we think in terms of big and small, not "hey, this is a 7 and a half yard hallway"

[ 02-12-2003: Message edited by: The Burger ]

Bite me.

No, Really. Bite me.

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 02-12-2003 10:41:36 PM
Prepare as much as you can in advance. Have a few different options ready for any scenario, because players will rarely follow the path you expect. As others have suggested, keep lists of names at the ready.

Be prepared to provide information you never thought you'd need. If any of your players are puzzle solvers, you'll find that person asking for the darndest things. In Parcelan's tournament, for example, I asked him how his minotaur maze was lit, and if there were stones scattered on the ground. Don't expect to have every mundane detail readied in advance, but be prepared to supply new information on the spur of the moment.

Be consistent. Have maps ready (which you don't show the players). Keep copies of your players' character sheets, and keep track of anything the group finds, including barrels, torch fixtures, or anything you found important enough to describe to them in the first place. If the party gets to know someone in a tavern, keep track of that character. If a person walks 10 paces, turns left, then repeats 3 more times, she should expect to find herself back where she started.

Modules are good for a start, but if your players don't enjoy them, don't keep using them. There are plenty of creative minds around here if you ever need a source of new ideas.

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Gikk
SCA babe!!!
posted 02-12-2003 10:43:35 PM
My GM had a wonderfully crafted campaign that involved us going north and into some sorcerer's dungeon.

The townpeople told u about it.

We nodded, and left, going the other direction.

Kepe in mind your party may not follow like sheep. ^_-

Vorago
A completely different kind of Buckethead
posted 02-12-2003 10:45:47 PM
I demand a halt to this DnD talk. It is just further annoying me since I have always wanted to but have yet to actually PLAY it

(I've wondered, is there a necromancer class? I'm a sucker for raising hordes of skeletons)

Suddar
posted 02-12-2003 10:47:53 PM
quote:
Vorago had this to say about Pirotess:
I demand a halt to this DnD talk. It is just further annoying me since I have always wanted to but have yet to actually PLAY it

(I've wondered, is there a necromancer class? I'm a sucker for raising hordes of skeletons)

Sorta; you can specialize in necromancy as a wizard. And maybe a sorcerer.

Nwist, Who?
Nwist
posted 02-12-2003 10:52:25 PM
Necromancers? Yes. Do they suck horribly? Yes.

Anyways, also remember to offer some kind of reward to your players for accomplishing something. Afterall, why would they go into a dungeon unless there was a rumor of mass amounts of gold, or a legendary sword, or promises of fame for slaying the dragon inside?

The reward should fit what your players want, and should be suitable for their level, and the difficulty of the quest.

MorbId
Pancake
posted 02-12-2003 11:38:42 PM
My first character was based on the mistaken assumption that necromancers are about hordes of undead. They aren't. They're simply very, very focused spellcasters.

What you're looking for is actually the death-based cleric. They're the ones who can more easily create undead, and force other undead to serve them.

Vorago
A completely different kind of Buckethead
posted 02-12-2003 11:40:52 PM
Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 02-12-2003 11:44:24 PM
Dragons are not whimps. Nor are they stupid (with rare exceptions).

Kobolds attack in large numbers. However, if they are getting the crap kicked out of them, the last few should run for help instead of dying valiantly in battle.

Town and name generator.

Don't be ashamed of ripping off the story of a book, movie, or video game for an adventure. Don't be suprised if your players don't follow the plot you borrowed.

Everyone likes for their character to have a chance to shine. If you have a lockpicking rogue in the group, add in a couple of locked doors if you don't have any allready. Just don't forget to keep things moving, what's exciting for that player may quickly bore the rest of the players.

Chainmail swimwear is a No, no matter how well built that Sorceress is.

Things that the party is likely to forget, and you might want to give them anyway: Torches, rope, flint and steel, shovel, blankets, and bandages.

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Ferret
Poing! Poing!
posted 02-13-2003 12:32:03 AM
Vorago; Necromancers begin mostly weak, but as they get up in the levels and take presitge classes such as Pale Master and True Necromancer they get extremely powerful. It varies by DM, such as I have a class that players can possibly be called Warders which create undead as a class.

Az: When you are ready to create your own adventures I'd suggest looking at where the PCs are and what they can do there. Think as if you were the player, then plot out little storyboards. Such as, if they are in a town they can do A, B, or C which leads to AB, AC, BA, CD, and CA. Just do little storyplots.

Don't attempt to create an entire world right away. Start small.

Don't just go from one adventure to another, try to link them in some fashion. Having a minor theme, no matter how subtle, lets you think along the same path. This will let you plan out future things without cracking your skull.

Be impartial. Yes you are their friend, but the monsters aren't. When you can, try to think like the monsters do. Would they want to keep the Fighter around so that he could break out of the cage, or would they roast him for dinner?

If you have any other questions or just need help, just PM me and I'll help if I can.

Azymyth
Not gay; just weird
posted 02-13-2003 12:40:02 AM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Vorago said this:
I want hordes of the undead
Well, you -can- specialize as a necromatic wizard and depending on luck, could sorta be a necromatic sorcerer. Evil clerics work too... there's also a couple PClasses in Tome and Blood worth looking into.
I suffer from CRS: Can't Remember Shit.

Sig pic done by the very talented SJen!

King Parcelan
Chicken of the Sea
posted 02-13-2003 12:44:17 AM
To classify, here are the books (in my opinion) worth having:

-Three Core Rules
-MMII
-Book of Vile Darkness (depending on how far evil goes in your world)

The rest are foo.

Sean
posted 02-13-2003 12:45:43 AM
quote:
Don Parcelan's account was hax0red to write:
-Book of Vile Darkness

BoVD

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 02-13-2003 01:49:52 AM
The class books are handy (most of them...not all of them), the Stronghold Builder's Guidebook is handy (but not necessary), and the Hero Builder's Guidebook is handy to have if your players need some ideas.

Stick to the holy trilogy and MM2, though. BoVD is sweetness, but if AZAKIAS can't think of something dark, disturbing, and/or evil enough, I can't imagine the BoVD will get the point across.

"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty

King Parcelan
Chicken of the Sea
posted 02-13-2003 01:53:48 AM
quote:
This one time, at Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael camp:
The class books are handy (most of them...not all of them), the Stronghold Builder's Guidebook is handy (but not necessary), and the Hero Builder's Guidebook is handy to have if your players need some ideas.

Stick to the holy trilogy and MM2, though. BoVD is sweetness, but if AZAKIAS can't think of something dark, disturbing, and/or evil enough, I can't imagine the BoVD will get the point across.

Never underestimate the power of the BoVD.

Those who crave order, but lack evil, as well as those who bear the fiendish thoughts, but lack the rules to put them to use all find use of the BoVD.

God, I love that book.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 02-13-2003 02:00:11 AM
I got more use out of Magic of Faerun for some classes than I'd say I do out of BoVD. That's not to say that BoVD isn't worth having (by any stretch of the imagination; the book kicks ass); it just has a different place in my pantheon of D&D books.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 02-13-2003 02:02:07 AM
Magic of Faerun is an excellent resource for magic. The PHB is all right, but MoF has some really good spells.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Hireko
Kill a fish before breakfast each day
posted 02-13-2003 02:22:53 AM
Lots of good advice on this thread.

My 2cp

- Your going to end up making a lot of off the cuff rules calls about what monsters and players can do. Remember (and remind your players if they start godmoding) that what is good for the goose is good for the gander.

If players get max HP at first level, kritters get it too.

If players can kill npc's in there sleep, npc's can do it right back.

- Remember that PVP HAPPENS! Your players very well might get at each other's throats, and its very important to be impartial if that happens. Don't assume they'll get along just because they're PCs.

- Don't overpower your campaign just because one player cheats/rolls really well. When he's cut off from the fight, the rest of your party will be resentful.

- Get a union representative that understands the Goose and Gander rule. When a player wants to bring in a new spell or ability from someplace, create a uber prestige class, have him pass it by the union rep, who will have visions of the spell being cast at him dancing through his head

- Try to make NPC's unique - they should be as much "people" as PC's, and when they die your PC's should care

- Not every party chooses to fight - be ready for when they knock on the giant's door instead of breaking in!

- Let people use a lot of style where it doesn't break game mechanics, it helps with fleshing out one's character

- Every "bad guy" should have a name and a motivation, in case they talk instead of fight

- Every other adventure or so, there should be an encounter thats better fled than fought

Those who dance are thought insane by those who can't hear the music.
Faelynn LeAndris
Lusty busty redheaded wood elf with sharp claws
posted 02-13-2003 03:44:02 AM
Don't play with Australians.

Be prepared for the unexpected, and when you've done that pull things out of your ass. It's gonna happen, and happen often.

Quick thinking on your feet judgements are nessesary. If you can't think or bs fast, it will get touchy.

... Oh... and If you spend weeks developing a dungeon and making one really kickass sorceress mini/major boss character, and your cocky sorcerer player screws up in a good way and destroys hours and hours of work in a matter of seconds, killing off your baddies and doing all kinds of stupid heroic boasting about it later... Kill them, it will make you feel better.. I'm kidding, but be prepared for your players to tear apart long planned designs. So think fast to fix it. Arttemis, Pved, and KaL were notorius for it...

My LAUNCHCast Station
"Respect the Forest, Fear the Ranger"
I got lost for an hour and became god.
Faelynn LeAndris
Lusty busty redheaded wood elf with sharp claws
posted 02-13-2003 03:48:27 AM
quote:
Hireko FishSlayer said this about your mom:
Lots of good advice on this thread.

- Your going to end up making a lot of off the cuff rules calls about what monsters and players can do. Remember (and remind your players if they start godmoding) that what is good for the goose is good for the gander.

- Try to make NPC's unique - they should be as much "people" as PC's, and when they die your PC's should care

- Not every party chooses to fight - be ready for when they knock on the giant's door instead of breaking in! Be prepared for the opposite as well, and how to get them out of it... Kraknek, although it fit his character, was always starting shit I had to rescue him from.

- Let people use a lot of style where it doesn't break game mechanics, it helps with fleshing out one's character

- Every other adventure or so, there should be an encounter thats better fled than fought. I agree with this, but keep in mind last addition above.

Also very hardy rules to follow here.

My LAUNCHCast Station
"Respect the Forest, Fear the Ranger"
I got lost for an hour and became god.
Bummey the Fool
Prefers to play with men
posted 02-13-2003 04:59:51 AM
It's probably already been said, but DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT 'God Mode' your players. That is the first step to FAILURE.
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 02-13-2003 05:23:45 AM
quote:
Bummey the Fool had this to say about Captain Planet:
It's probably already been said, but DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT 'God Mode' your players. That is the first step to FAILURE.

In other words, I think Bummey was trying to say...

The goal of the GM is not to kill the player characters. The absolute worst D&D experiences I had were the ones where the GM had this adversarial attitude about his relationship with the players and it was a "survive or die" situation. A GM's job is to be the storyteller, to manipulate events to tell a satisfying story all around.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: