EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: D&D Topic: Ranger Improvement Part II
King Parcelan
Chicken of the Sea
posted 06-12-2002 11:54:38 PM
Alright, here are the changes I've made since the first prototype.

-Advanced Two-Weapon Fighting has been scrapped. There's really no way to do it without being overpowering.

-Venom Immunity has been scrapped. It makes sense for a Ranger to have herbalism feats, but Venom Immunity is more of a supernatural ability befitting a druid's close connection with the wilderness.

-Greater Enmity will be split into two parts. Each one at a different level.

-Bonus feats have been included.

Questions That Still Need Answering

1. The benefits of Enmity stands as such: Bonus to AC, Ability to add damage bonus, Improved Critical quality against Favored Enemy.

The question here is in which ways should they be deployed? What levels should they get the Enmities? Should the AC bonus be in the 1st Enmity? The Improved Critical in the 2nd?

Also, are there any suggestions as to what else Enmity should include?

2. As it stands, my list of Bonus Feats include feats with ranged weapons. Should there be other ones fitting to the Ranger, like Alertness, for example?

3. Should there be gradual improvements made to Tracking? If so, what?

YOUR OPINIONS ARE NEEDED

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 06-13-2002 12:05:19 AM
How about instead of one all encompassing emnity ability, have it player choose-able, to a certain maximum.

I.E. I may be insanely good at dodging blows from orcs, because I am always studying them. How they attack. Their style. blahblahbla. or, I have studied orcish anatomy for some time, and know, more than any other, JUST where to hit the orc to cause the most damage.

Makes sense to me.

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 06-13-2002 09:51:23 AM
Part I, for those who need a reference.
Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 06-13-2002 10:18:45 AM
I would drop uncanny sense from the equation. You did say that you don't have the details figured out yet, and it made the original model very cumbersome.
Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

The Last Strider
I will die alone
posted 06-13-2002 10:37:02 AM
I once played in a Second edition campaign where the DM allowed Rangers and Paladins to specialize with certain weapons, and the specialization, if desired, had to be taken at first level.

I say, can the same work in 3E?

I say we give the Ranger and limited specialization options. My List of weapons is:
Long Sword
Short Sword
Long Bow(Normal and Composite)
Short Bow(Normal and Composite)
Quaterstaff
Scimitar

Feel free to play with this list.

"We have listened to you speak since the dawn of time, and we have learned to imatoot you exarktly."-The Simpsons

Necromancer: How DARE you imply that I was involved in a rude act with my undead servant! I will flay the flesh from your bones! I will summon a thousand maggot-ridden corpses to gnaw your flesh! I will trap your soul in-
Ghoul: My ass hurts.

King Parcelan
Chicken of the Sea
posted 06-13-2002 06:13:56 PM
The Senses bit has been scrapped too, I forgot to mention.

Anyways, Fal, choosing abilities befits more of a Prestige Class. We're working out a base class here.

And Strider, Weapon Specialization is solely the Fighter's domain, and for good reason. Fighters devote their lives to combat and training, while Rangers devote much of their time to combat and others to hunting, stalking, etc.

It wouldn't make sense to give them specialization.

Maelarr
Pancake
posted 06-13-2002 06:28:05 PM
Ideas
  • Take all the bow feats in the game, improve them a bit, make the ranger get those feats as class abilities at some point.
  • Give them the proficiency with bows that fighters have with everything.
  • Widen the critical hit threat range on a bow at certain levels.
  • Give them bonuses to move silently/hide in shadows while in the woods.
  • give them bonuses to resist natural venoms instead of venom immunity.

Not sure about the greater emnity
I mean if you study something and dont like something like a ranger does with his favored enemy. You'd think he'd learn how they attack (thus improving AC vs them). How to attack them (thus improving attacks/dmg). Their weak spots (crit threat range). Wouldnt greater enmity go all across the board?
Or could they only choose one way, how to avoid them, how to hurt them, and how to really hurt them?
Tough question as far as greater enmity is concerned

Although definitetly give them trackless step at some point. After tracking for so long, They'd eventually learn how to avoid being tracked, no?
all I can think of for now

[ 06-13-2002: Message edited by: Maelarr ]

All Empires Fall, You just have to know where to push- Me
Cleric Rogue Sigpic
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: